Author Topic: horrible...just horrible  (Read 2241 times)

Offline maruska

• View Profile
horrible...just horrible
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
http://www.troubledteenblog.com/choosin ... your-teen/

So Cal aunt February 16, 2010 at 11:30 am
My husband and I took legal guardianship of my niece after her recovering addict father (my brother) died when she was 10, and her addict mother’s attempts to parent her after a 9 year absence failed. We had a 3 yr old plus a new pregnancy at the time, and taking on a troubled 12 year old was challenging. These past 3 years have been stressful but worth it as we’ve seen her grow and thrive in a healthy family environment. In the past year, she’s been seeing a therapist (solo sessions or with me), to help deal with behavior issues — lying, failing in school, cigarette smoking, dressing and acting trashy, impulsive behavior (stole a pack of cigarettes, snuck out of the house after midnight, stole a yearbook at school), etc. She says she wants to change but doesn’t know how. We suggested there may be “skeletons” in her psyche from her childhood that she’s locked away but they are sneaking up on her occasionally… and she agreed. We recently started to slowly and carefully bring to light some of the neglect and abuse from her early years, barely scratching the surface… and the behaviors got worse. After a year of researching schools, and several talks with an education consultant friend of the family, we decided the time was right and settled on what we feel will be a great school for her: Cedar Ridge Academy (www.cedaridge.net). The ed con said “when kids need re-parenting, that’s the place I recommend”. It’s a small (41 kids) therapeutic boarding school with a family feel where they focus on emotional growth, helping kids deal with traumatic childhood experiences, and academic achievement (finish high school, college prep). I took her there last Wednesday for what she thought was an interview, then told her she was enrolled and would be staying. She was horrified I lied to her, especially when her friends (many whom are struggling teens and 2 are former RTC grads) warned her it might be a drop-off vs. a visit, and she defended me saying “my aunt would never do that to me… I trust her, she never lies to me”. I felt horrible. But she admitted she would not have come if I’d told her the truth, even though she agrees it’s in her best interest to be there. Anyway, it’s been a tough few days for all of us, but I have faith that she will thrive there. I have to write my Impact Letter today and don’t know where to start. In the meantime, I am so grateful for the presence of this blog and for all of you wonderful commenters (parents and former students) who so freely share your experiences, thoughts, and feelings. Thank you very much! God bless all of us and our struggling teens.

:flame:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: horrible...just horrible
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »
Maruska I wouldn't worry too much.  The child will be in good hands and will benefit greatly from her time spent there and give her the opportunity to work through some of the issues from her past without the distractions she might normally have at home.

Cedar Ridge has had a few problems in the past but they are very transparent, are sensitive to the childs and parents needs  and have addressed each issue that arises and implemented corrective action.  What I like about Cedar Ridge is if a problem occurs and the school cannot address it they seek outside help or bring it in.  They are extremely responsive.

This would be a great case to follow.  It will be interesting to see how she makes out.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:34:01 PM by Whooter »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »
Took me a while to figure this one out, so I'll mention it in case anyone else is in my shoes... the OP is one of the replies to the blog entry link in question.

Quote from: "Whooter"
What I like about Ridge Creek is if a problem occurs and the school cannot address it they seek outside help or bring it in. They are extremely responsive.
And Whooter, the TBS in question is Cedar Ridge Academy, not Ridge Creek School. You're still trying to create a defense for Hidden Lake and all of its metamorphoses. Geeezzz...  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:22:59 AM by Joel »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »
Quote from: "Joel"
Quote from: "Ursus"
Took me a while to figure this one out, so I'll mention it in case anyone else is in my shoes... the OP is one of the replies to the blog entry link in question.

What I like about Ridge Creek is if a problem occurs and the school cannot address it they seek outside help or bring it in. They are extremely responsive.
And Whooter, the TBS in question is Cedar Ridge Academy, not Ridge Creek School. You're still trying to create a defense for Hidden Lake and all of its metamorphoses. Geeezzz...  :D
http://www.heal-online.org/cedar120809.pdf > Cedar Ridge Academy ?
Yep, that would be the one, in Roosevelt, Utah. There's even a thread on that case here:

Cedar Ridge Academy staff charged with sex abuse
    viewtopic.php?f=49&t=29539[/list]

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

Oh, come on, Ursus, In my discussion I mentioned Cedar Ridge first and then in the next sentence I said Ridge Creek (in error).  There was no intention to switch the topic to Hidden lake.  I will go back and edit my post.  Why so sensitive?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »

Oh, come on, Ursus, In my discussion I mentioned Cedar Ridge first and then in the next sentence I said Ridge Creek (in error).  There was no intention to switch the topic to Hidden lake.  I will go back and edit my post.  Why so sensitive?
    Nope, I saw it before you edited (prior to my having finished my reply). You had 2X Ridge Creek mentioned. You only caught one of them. I was kind and edited out of my reply ... where ya had already corrected it.

Point is, it hardly matters. Cedar Ridge is yet another abusive shit pit. It wouldn't have mattered which place ya were talking about, you would have said exactly the same thing. You almost always do, save in cases where the program has already been shut down and the issue of abusive practices or not is moot.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »
    There are programs and private institutions (even public school systems) which would sweep it under the carpet and try to handle it internally.  But the Staff at Cedar Ridge (Notice I spelled it right this time Ursus) notified the authorities about this guy as soon as they found out and the school implemented corrective action that no child will be left alone with any doctor or nurse regardless of gender going forward.
    I think their response should be commended.  There was no history or background check that could have prevented this from happening.  Cedar Ridge reacted as best they could from what I have read and never dropped the ball.  Does anyone have information that this guy had a prior record?  Or something that Cedar Ridge missed?  

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
    Nope, I saw it before you edited (prior to my having finished my reply). You had 2X Ridge Creek mentioned. You only caught one of them. I was kind and edited out of my reply ... where ya had already corrected it.

So you see there was no intent to deceive.  I noticed my error and went back and changed it before your reply.  I didnt realize the error in the next sentence until you pointed it out.  Why would you think (after seeing my initial edit) that I was trying to switch the topic to Ridge Creek?