Author Topic: Sekto great lyric's thread posting.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
Sekto great lyric's thread posting.
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:26:50 PM »
Hi Sekto ,

Man thank you for posting the lyric's to  Ship of Fools  by  Robert Hunter and Jerome Garcia.

A few thoughts about this song, if I may.

Many years ago early 1600's I believe England and possibly other countries would take their insane and criminals and load them up on ships , with food and water ,and set them loose on the seas. and this was where many met there demise.

This was done because they did not want their lunatics running around the populace. and it was easier to deal with them  in this way, than to house them and feed them , especially if their families had no money.

This song means a lot to me because it is sorta how I think of elan and some of ther other programs. Each program (or Ship) on a cruel sea ,with the strangest captian we all could find (Sembler , ricci , and all).

I am in the the stage of the song where I am doing my best to  shut down the  my particular program (elan)  on this cruel sea.

ah well I am just taking poetic licsence with this song and it just how I feel about it, though I just wanted to thank you Sekto  for posting it on the lyrics thread. I am sure this song may mean lots of different things to many people.

And of course I don't believe we are all fools (LOL)

Very poingnant song to hear live, and very moving to read the lyrics  again.

Thank you Sekto .

Matt
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:34:25 PM by Matt C. Hoffman »

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
Re: Sekto great lyric's thread posting.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »
You're welcome Matt.  It seemed appropriate to post the lyrics to that song.  Let's listen to it together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeTPiq6uUC0
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
Dig this, Matt.  It's the best thing I have ever heard.  His Woodstock set was fantastic as well (especially their opening song, "Message to Love") but Rainbow Bridge was better.  Hendrix was not of this mundane world.  I really feel his music in a way that I cannot feel the Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpRsgzURnvU

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
I can dig what you are saying .

I love Jimmi's music also there is an interview with him on the dick Cavet show that I believe captures a little what he was like as a human being , its pretty cool.

Yeah the Dead  are not every one's piece of pie , and the Ship of Fools  song even though it did make my eyes water (cause I miss Jerry )  is not a very good version of the song (but it works for me) .It just the words to that song just really kinda stike a chord in me.  

The second night at Deer Creek , Noblesville Indiana ,Ship of Fools was really 100 times better. But hey you are not a "dead Head "  and  you would not know ,and you know thats fine. I respect the  that.  I am sure that there are many bands that we would find that we like in common. I just don't know if it is such a good idea to post all of them on Fornits. LOL

And again Sekto I thank you for posting it on the lyric's thread .

Matt

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:16:01 PM »
You're welcome.  I dig the Dead a lot, and the music of the American '60s in general, but am not a "Deadhead," no.  This afternoon I've been listening to a lot of bluegrass and Country and Western music (see "Stuff You've Been Listening To"); it's actually homework for a class I'm taking and it's pretty neat, though c/w is not my thing.  It's all on YouTube also, so paying attention to fornits does not interfere at all.  I'm online a lot when I study, anyway.  Didn't Jerry start out as a bluegrass musician?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APl9fRFmdC0

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
Far out  the Earl and Lester thing .

Saw them way back in the summer of '76 or '77 got in free . They were at the The Xpo in Fishersville , Va . out door show .

Jerry was an astute banjo player and yes the first thing they did was Mother McKrees uptown Jug Band. He also played pedal steel and guitar on  various folks records. Graham Nash/David Crosby album .   On the CSNY album deja Vu  he is the  pedal Steel on  Teach your Children .  The list just goes on and on.

Jefferson Airplane ,Surrealistic Pillow he played acoustic giutar.

The Old in the Way Stuff is  pricless, he was on that .New Riders of the Purple Sage .

He also played jazz with Merle Saunders , Ornette Coleman , Howard Wales

Jerry played with every one and anyone besides the Dead . He had his own band JGB.

The Lester and Earl stuff is great stuff. Thanks Sekto .

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Hendrix interview, from beyond the grave
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
Hendrix was not of this mundane world.
Death May Be Your Santa Claus: An Exclusive, Up-to-date Interview with Jimi Hendrix:

http://bit.ly/ar6Kjl  (click on "Contents" & scroll down to pg. 300)

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:13:35 PM »
Thank you for that Froderick, what a funny piece.  

As far as I am concerned, this is transcendental music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skay7rB1 ... L&index=13