Author Topic: are there any success stories? (repost from cache)  (Read 7594 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: are there any success stories? (repost from cache)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Quote from: "Matt C. Hoffman"
I wonder if there are other

residents that have successfully put elan in its properspective,  and consider themselves a success . I am willing to bet that there are quite a few  folks that don't credit any cult program with their success,(like elan)

This was one of the lost threads that I was talking about ,and I am glad the it has been found.

Anne you are most correct.( great letter btw from Shapiro to his daughter)

Peace

Matt
:shamrock:
I believe there are many. I have read there stories on various sites, talked with old friends who know of others who are doing well. They got better just like we did, we just have not met them yet. It is not all gloom and doom...lol
Danny

I think that's the key.  They're successful in spite of it, not because of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 02:26:58 PM »
I Dunno, define success.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
Quote from: "seamus"
I Dunno, define success.

Are you happy?

I don't think he was referring to a high paying job, wife, 2.5 kids etc.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »
Yes Anne being happy.

Sure having a good love , family , and a good job  and a good laugh  helps .

Being happy is a good thing to be.

Yep being happy in your own skin.

I like being happy. It makes all the B.S. seem so trivial.  

time flies like the wind , and fruit flies like bananas

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »
Yep, it really is.  It took me a long time to get here, a long time to shake off the effects of the mindfuck but I finally am truly happy.  Virgil et al.....not so much.

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
Anne , I know exactly what you mean ....It took a long  time to shake off the mindfuck (no other word for it ) and to be able to put the hellholes that spawned this stuff in their proper perspectives.

I am very glad you made it.  And nice to meet you finally.

Peace

Matt

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
You as well, Matt.  :seg2:

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Quote from: "Matt C. Hoffman"
I wonder if there are other

residents that have successfully put elan in its properspective,  and consider themselves a success . I am willing to bet that there are quite a few  folks that don't credit any cult program with their success,(like elan)

This was one of the lost threads that I was talking about ,and I am glad the it has been found.

Anne you are most correct.( great letter btw from Shapiro to his daughter)

Peace

Matt
:shamrock:
I believe there are many. I have read there stories on various sites, talked with old friends who know of others who are doing well. They got better just like we did, we just have not met them yet. It is not all gloom and doom...lol
Danny

I think that's the key.  They're successful in spite of it, not because of it.
:shamrock:  :shamrock:
No some of the principles that Elan was trying to teach did work for me in life. I also am alive today because I went to Elan. Why???? I stopped shooting dope, drinking outrageously and being a criminal. I was on my way to committing even more crimes that could have got me killed at that time in my life. Most of the staff and Directors did nothing to help your right but just being there away from my old haunts helped. Though there were some staff and Directors who helped me Wendy Freeman, Ken Steer, Rick Rosenhaus, Louie Ginsberg, Ed Friedman and most of his staff at E-5 in '75. See I have a hard time relating with alot of folks here because of different backgrounds and circumstances. Elan was actually better then juvie and my home really. So I sucked it up played the game and got out of the house as much as I could.
Very sick set of circumstances but these were the cards I was dealt at the time. Some of us had no good choices being children.
Do I  have empathy for others of course I do. I watched the horrific abuses that went on there I just tried to block it out and when they allowed me to drive, I drove everywhere and stayed out as long as I could.
Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »
Quote from: "bossybee39"
Wow Danny...wtf
I don't understand your reaction bossy I'm not saying I liked Elan or condoned anything they did. What they did was awful and abusive. I 'm saying we all had are ways of dealing with the abuse at Elan I had a opportunity to get out of the house and I took it. Same thing at home left at a young age the abuse was awful and Juvie same thing. As a matter of fact I went from juvie to Elan they let my parents take me. So no, don't misunderstand what I'm saying please but alot of us had more shit going on then just Elan back when we were children. I had to worry about not going back home so I had to wait it out until I turned 18 so I did not have to. Like I said I played the cards I was dealt. One other thing that sucked is why the hell should I have even had to tap dance that much as a kid to stay away from violent situations. So it is not only Elan on my mind at times it is the parents who are fucked up then make a even more fucked decision by sending you to these rat holes. Then institutions who abuse young people juvie, mental hospitals ect... So it is sad when I say Elan was better then all the choices I had at 16 yrs old, just be grateful you weren't in my shoes. All my decisions sucked but I was looking to survive and Elan seemed the most viable option. I don't know what would have happened if the violence of Elan would have come my way. I probably would have killed someone or myself because I had all I could take at that time.
Danny
Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:12:53 AM by Anonymous »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 10:57:56 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:10:16 AM by Anonymous »

Offline Troublemaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
From page 3, continued (last):

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

#41 Post by Danny Bennison » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:23 pm
I am done with you, I'll pray for you for sure. Take Care Felice I hope you can find peace in your heart and mind but most your soul. Love Danny
#42 Post by Joel  » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:41 pm
Danny,

Why did you work at a school you attended where children were abused?
#43 Post by Danny Bennison » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 pm
Joel,
Hey there are several sites that I have shared on I have a lot of info out there for you to read about me I have tried to be forth coming in my personal story. Joel I got to Elan One as a resident in the summer of 1975, June. I was 16 yrs. old and had been drinking and shooting dope for about a year. I entered Elan and was there for appro. 18 mons. I graduated in January of 1977. I was 17 years old and I started working for Elan for $50.00 a week. Peter McCann (thru Joe) would pay me cash b/cuz of my age. Need I say more I was caught up in the Elan hoopla. I left in November Of 1978 very drunk and angry. Long time ago my freind.
#44 Post by Danny Bennison » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:37 pm
Quote from: "Ursus"
Quote from: "Danny Bennison"
The other part is the addictive side of my personality whether I was incarcerated or not I had this. I remember in even younger years my obsessive/ compulsive behavior. Alcohole was just waiting for me.
Obsessive/compulsive in a younger person often stems from a need to control, or impose a meaningful order on one's universe. Usually 'cuz one doesn't have it, control or meaningful order, that is. It's a coping mechanism.

I'd say that putting such a kid in an overly controlled environment, where the shots are called by someone else, not to mention being held responsible in a punitive and degrading fashion, doesn't do much but aggravate the original problem. Especially if there is no decompress afterward, and the kid goes straight back into the "real world" with no genuine support system.

Twelve years old is far too young to have an physical addiction to alcohol. Barring phenomenally unusual genetics, I just can't see it as physiologically possible. Psychological reasons may tell a different story, of course.

Quote from: "Danny Bennison"
...I spent from 6/71 till 1/77 incarcerated in one form or another. In drug treatment programs Daytop 71, Marathon house 73 and Elan 75 in between in and out of Y.C.C. in Cranston R.I.
I just find this roster of programs quite ... compelling. All of these programs are based on pretty harsh versions of a therapeutic community modality. For those who may not know, what was originally known as Marathon House, Inc., later came to be known as Phoenix House New England. From their website:

Welcome to Phoenix House New England

Phoenix Houses of New England – originally called Marathon House – was founded in 1967 by a coalition of social service professionals, clergy, business, and political leaders in Providence, Rhode Island. Today, some 1000 adults and teenagers receive treatment each day through 45 programs in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and Connecticut. In addition to the residential and outpatient programs outlined below, Phoenix Houses of New England provides an array of services to specific populations including the homeless, persons involved with the criminal justice system and those charged with driving under the influence.[/list]
    Going back a few weeks ago to this conversation you are right w/ the assessment you came with,it is right on target w/ having to control or having to have meaningful order. The household I grew up in lacked these mechanisms outrageously and the degrading and abusive practices didn't happen at treatment to me as much as I saw with others. To be honest they happened at home before, during, and afterwards, being at Elan and these other centers was almost like a reward. Just my parents didn't know. Now if this isn't sick on so many levels what is. Alot to be untangled.
    #45 Post by Danny Bennison » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:34 am
    So back to the orginal question, "are there any success stories" yes there are. Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a success...... success for me happened over a period of time and now is a regular experience
    of mine. My mind, body and spirit are being fed on a daily routine, there is not the humilation, debasing, undermining cruelity and total dominance crushing the three essentials I named above. So I can fly now.
    My heart becomes very heavy when I think of the children being treated today, the adults being kept in ignorance. So as always we move on (as w/ this site ), try to bring awareness to this abusive behavior. Love and Peace Danny
    Awareness that is success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The troubled teen industry is ineffective because advocates are after money, fame or are as abusive as the programs they\'re fighting

Offline YV23

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 12, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »
    Wow Danny...wtf
    I don't understand your reaction bossy I'm not saying I liked Elan or condoned anything they did. What they did was awful and abusive. I 'm saying we all had are ways of dealing with the abuse at Elan I had a opportunity to get out of the house and I took it. Same thing at home left at a young age the abuse was awful and Juvie same thing. As a matter of fact I went from juvie to Elan they let my parents take me. So no, don't misunderstand what I'm saying please but alot of us had more shit going on then just Elan back when we were children. I had to worry about not going back home so I had to wait it out until I turned 18 so I did not have to. Like I said I played the cards I was dealt. One other thing that sucked is why the hell should I have even had to tap dance that much as a kid to stay away from violent situations. So it is not only Elan on my mind at times it is the parents who are fucked up then make a even more fucked decision by sending you to these rat holes. Then institutions who abuse young people juvie, mental hospitals ect... So it is sad when I say Elan was better then all the choices I had at 16 yrs old, just be grateful you weren't in my shoes. All my decisions sucked but I was looking to survive and Elan seemed the most viable option. I don't know what would have happened if the violence of Elan would have come my way. I probably would have killed someone or myself because I had all I could take at that time.
    Danny
    Danny
    Cry me a river Bennison. We all had our shit. We all didnt turn into you. You loved it, that's what I remember about you. You sick piece of shit, you loved it

Offline YV23

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »
    A Life Gone Awry: My Story of the Elan School My name is Daniel L. Bennison.
     I come here today to begin the slow and gentle phase of my journey to make amends to a person that has (Wayne has not asked for apologies) but I am sure he would feel a great validation if I would.
     At this time I would like to say to Wayne Kernochan that I am truly sorry for any and all abuse whether it be direct or implied that I have committed against you.
     I am not the best writer but I am sure my sincerity will bleed through here.

2nd paragraph;
     n I am still processing the magnitude of this relationship. I seemed at first to just go into denial and just wanted to run away from it. Well Wayne and others were going to have none of that. weirdly enough I am grateful Wayne never let up and constantly stood up for accountability.
     Wayne, The Core and many others, Thank You.
     I know this seems to many as a abrupt about face but to the main players here it really isn't. Wayne and I had been trying at times to come to this point. Well it is here and we are moving forward.
     I will have more to say on this at another time.

3rd paragraph,
     Staying with the non-aggressive attitude I wanted to say a few more things. I have disagreed with Wayne strongly on his characterizations and actual facts concerning several abusive physical acts where I was involved, I still do.
     The change here is I don't feel it is important to argue anymore about this. Wayne was in the position of being the resident and I had the authority as staff for his well being. He has stated unequivocally that he felt I abused my position and he felt intimidated. I really can't debate this aspect because as a resident of almost two years I felt the same way from my caregivers.

4th paragraph,
     So much has been written about the abuse at Elan. It is the sole reason Elan is no longer open.
     This is all I will have to say on this. I have wished Wayne well and will continue to support all his positive steps in his life. I do not know if we will ever be close friends because of the circumstances that happened but I am not afraid or ashamed to call him a friend.
     Take Care
     Danny

All that to trick Wayne into believing you wanted to help fight abusive programs together. So you could write a book and ride on his coattails.

You're a scurve Danny Fucking Bennison, no wonder your mother had to hang a pork chop around your neck to get the dog to play with you. No wonder Marty slapped your face.

Offline Margaret Devlin

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
    Quote from: "YV23"
    Wow Danny...wtf
    Danny
    Danny
    Cry me a river Bennison. We all had our shit. We all didnt turn into you. You loved it, that's what I remember about you. You sick piece of shit, you loved it

I know he loved it for about 14 months. My gawd what a long stellar career. What is so funny Wayne you are so busy running around trying your hardest to create this story of Danny. Just one problem you don't have enough history (time on the job) to make it seem credible. So you have to resort to lying and embellishing.
    You just got to love your fellow Elan people.
    So please would you cite the abuses you are referring too. To back up your statement, "we all didn't turn out like you". None of you have ever clarified just what the heck you are talking about.
    Please...try not to use the fights here between you all over the past two years. Everyone gets to defend themselves.
    I really believe you don't have anything to substantiate your bogus abuse allegations, nothing.
    Thanks!
    P.S.
    What happened to the five written testimonies you claimed to have??