Author Topic: Father Flanagan's BOYS' TOWN (from "I wonder what farm...")  (Read 19052 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Re: Father Flanagan's BOYS' TOWN (from "I wonder what farm...")
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »
Not really. I have heard complaints from 4 past students about 1 or 2 specific individuals. 1 claimed they vividly remembered (fair enough)2 used repressed memory which it was not invalid for boystowns laywers to point out has its problems. At any rate boystown should be negatively judged for the way they handled that case because i did find their lack of remorse problematic. But I have not heard any complaints from anyone in attendance in the last 20 years and I have not heard any complaints about the actual methods that were generally used by the majority of the staff or as a matter of course to educate, treat or discipline the children there.

I agree that it probably was modelled on the idea of orphanages as this was the only way of housing neglected or orphaned children at the time. The problems with this model have since become apparent and so most of the youth organizations around the world who once used this model(including boytown) have abandoned it. If you contrast this with for example the cedu model, certain more extreme practices may or may not have been abandoned but the idea that teens need to be broken down and rebuilt has not.
I take your point that consent is given by a vulnerable portion of the population which is why transparency is important. But again any organization that deals with any kind of young people or treats those with mental health issues  is dealing with a vulnerable portion of the population. This does not make them inherently abusive. Has any recent student complained about the actual treatment involved?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Father Flanagan's BOYS' TOWN
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
Quote from: "Oz girl"
Not really. I have heard complaints from 4 past students about 1 or 2 specific individuals. 1 claimed they vividly remembered (fair enough)2 used repressed memory which it was not invalid for boystowns laywers to point out has its problems. At any rate boystown should be negatively judged for the way they handled that case because i did find their lack of remorse problematic. But I have not heard any complaints from anyone in attendance in the last 20 years and I have not heard any complaints about the actual methods that were generally used by the majority of the staff or as a matter of course to educate, treat or discipline the children there.
These five cases, which were all clustered around the same time period, involved six former residents of Boys Town. One of them was quoted in news coverage but probably did not pursue legal resolution. At the time, the only way you could get around an expired statute of limitations was to claim mental disability or repressed memory. There were at least three staff members involved.

abuse victims:
      James Duffy
      Lance Rivers
      Todd Rivers
      Darren Boudreau
      John Sturzenegger
      Wayne Garsky
    perpetrators:
      Rev. James Kelly
      Counselor Michael Wolf
      Rev. Richard Colbert
    [/list]

The similarity between how these cases were handled, and how the Morning Star Boys' Ranch cases are currently being handled, is striking.
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
    I dont disagree. I would also agree that morningstar is exactly the kind of place that I am talking about in that its model appears to be hard and free farm labor.
    But again none of the complainants in this case complained about the overall model that boystown used, they complained about the actions of a single person. He should be punished to the full extent of the law. But where are any recent complaints about being isolated from the world, excessively disciplined as a matter of routine or course being subjected to therapies against the patient's will etc? If there was any evidence of that, or even that the website was deliberately misleading in some way I would be more inclined to b suspicious of the place.
    n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
    I dont disagree. I would also agree that morningstar is exactly the kind of place that I am talking about in that its model appears to be hard and free farm labor.
    Morningstar was modeled directly on Flanagan's Boys Town. They even sent folk over to study it. Boys Town in Nebraska also had a farm on which the boys worked. They grew some of their own food, learned how to run a farm, slaughtered the pigs and chickens...

But again none of the complainants in this case complained about the overall model that boystown used, they complained about the actions of a single person.
    No. Not so. James Duffy sued no individuals. He sued Boys Town. He named Rev. James Kelly and Counselor Michael Wolf within the complaint.

They all sued Boys Town. It's not like Boys Town was clueless. Kids' complaints were simply not taken seriously, and some folks had some pretty serious issues in their closets.

The culture of the place ensured that hierarchy of credibility: Priests were closest to God and were saving those kids' lives. They could do no wrong.

But where are any recent complaints about being isolated from the world, excessively disciplined as a matter of routine or course being subjected to therapies against the patient's will etc? If there was any evidence of that, or even that the website was deliberately misleading in some way I would be more inclined to b suspicious of the place.
    Does isolating and controlling your environment to the point where you own your own town and have your own zip code count? Where visiting reporters are shadowed? Gotta make sure that no "unauthorized interviews" are done ... perchance? :D

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 04:47:36 AM »
    I am concerned about sounding like a boystown advert here, so this is the last i will post on the issue but i feel like hairs are being split. Of course the men sued boys town itself for the actions of 3 men who worked within it. I agree that boystown should cop criticism for it's handling of the case in the same way that the catholic church should be ashamed of itself for its recent history of protecting its clergy when accused of abuse instead of putting the victim first. But every single catholic school should not as a matter of course be closed down by the state regardless of its individual method or philosophy.
    It does not surprise me that morning starclaims to use boytowns model. Most schools within this industry have taken all kinds of ideas some sound others not and bastardized them to suit their own ends. Positive peer culture is one classic example another is the way the psychologist Erickson is frequently basttardized to "force" kids to reach a stage of adolescent development. Even AA for all its faults was supposed to be voluntary. Everyone from synanon to straight to aarc have overlooked this.
    I accept that naming yourself a town is pretty egotistical and arrogant but since when is being a bit up yourself a crime? You mentioned the press dont have freedom and it would concern me if the boys were not allowed to make unmonitored phone calls to press family or anyone else. Have there been any recent allegations from one of the students of this? Unlike the rest of the industry boystown is an international organization. Most of their work os is admittedly more generic youth welfare not the provision of "homes" but have you found any complaints outside of the US of systemic abuse as well? this When Mercy ministries opened in Australia it took about six months for the complaints to start. I am unaware of this with boystown

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
    It does not surprise me that morning starclaims to use boytowns model. Most schools within this industry have taken all kinds of ideas some sound others not and bastardized them to suit their own ends. Positive peer culture is one classic example another is the way the psychologist Erickson is frequently basttardized to "force" kids to reach a stage of adolescent development. Even AA for all its faults was supposed to be voluntary. Everyone from synanon to straight to aarc have overlooked this.
    I'm not sure if I understand you correctly here, but if you're saying that "Positive Peer Culture" was originally something mainstream and more or less benign, which was then distorted and perverted by the industry, you're wrong. I'm not saying that, in some cases, it can't be the lesser harm of available options but... let's face it: PPC was developed by the industry ... for the industry. It evolved right out of TCs used in prisons right after World War II.

Similarly for AA (whose origins are more than a little suspect) re. one's allegedly voluntary participation: quite a lot of discussion could easily be devoted to exactly what constitutes "voluntary" when tremendous ideologically based pressure is placed on vulnerable individuals to conform to a group's expectations. And that being the "best case" scenario. Said discussions should probably best be addressed in another thread...

... have you found any complaints outside of the US of systemic abuse as well? this When Mercy ministries opened in Australia it took about six months for the complaints to start. I am unaware of this with boystown
    There was a sexual abuse scandal that hit the news a few years ago regarding Boys Town's operations in the Philippines.

From what I've seen, the speed with which abuses at Mercy Ministries-Au were addressed is an anomaly rather the rule in the industry. IMO, it had mostly to do with the incompetence and naiveté of whoever was running MM in Australia, as well as some top notch and well-timed reporting. I also think the Australian public is a lot less jaded and inured than here in the States, when it comes to experiencing a visceral reaction to what goes on in these hellholes.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    A Town of Their Own
    « Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »
    Here's a piece from National Geographic that's especially laudatory about Boy's Town. Perhaps a bit too laudatory. I'm not trying to be Scrooge here but, seriously... I've heard the "If I weren't here, I'd probably be dead" mantra a few too many times, I guess...

Alternative PDF link* from the Boys Town website, which contains more photos: http://www.boystown.org/AboutUs/Documen ... rint2f.pdf

* NOTE: Issue date is noted as Novermber 2002 on NGM's website, December 2002 on pdf download.

National Geographic Magazine
    A Town of Their Own
    ZipUSA: 68010
    December 2002

By Jennifer Steinberg
    Photographs by Landon Nordeman

BOYS TOWN NEBRASKA

Give them homes, schools, families and some old-fashioned religion, and troubled kids might just pull themselves together. This is their place.[/list]
      Straddling dirt bikes, pants crotches to their knees, three teenage boys eye me from a streetlamp's cone of light. City-trained, I look away, walk faster, then glance back. They smile and wave.

It's my first reminder that I'm in a town like no other—Boys Town, Nebraska, the famed village-style haven for troubled kids. Forget Spencer Tracy taming a rogue Mickey Rooney in the 1938 film Boys Town. These are real kids with real, sad histories: broken homes, neglect, abuse, drugs, alcohol, psych wards, detention centers, and suicide attempts. Sent here by courts or relatives, all the kids "come in angry," says executive director Father Val Peter. "But we give them back their childhoods, teach them skills, and give them love."

It was another man of the cloth, in 1917, who planted the seed with his motto: "There are no bad boys. There is only bad environment, bad training, bad example, bad thinking." Father Edward Flanagan, with a $90 loan, placed his first five youths in a rented Omaha house. He later borrowed more to buy the 160-acre Overlook Farm, and homeless boys flocked there. A trust fund, donations, and fees paid by state agencies and some parents or guardians have kept the town going—and growing.

The first girls enrolled in 1979 and now make up half the population of what is still called Boys Town, though Girls and Boys Town has become the name of its far-reaching national organization. Flanked by cornfields, highways, then houses to the horizon, Boys Town leans against Omaha's sprawl but retains its identity as a campus of sorts—with 500 kids, a middle school and high school, two churches, a park and post office, police and fire stations, athletic facility and fields, and the iconic statue of one boy shouldering the weight of another.

Bright lights, small town – full of big houses of kids with big troubles. Some want to go home. Others are home in this town where "every adult's purpose is to help kids," says Father Val Peter[/list]
        "Don't ask them about their pasts," Father Peter and others instruct me when I arrive Thanksgiving week. Let them focus on the present, they say: on school, surrogate families, and a rather lengthy set of rules.

Rules here, in fact, rule, the kids tell me. Worship services are mandatory. So is good behavior, which earns points—translating to privileges like candy or outings. Bad behavior (from skipped chores to violent tantrums) means "lost privs" or a stay at the Respite House—where offenders go to cool down. Boys' hair must be short. There's no dating, no tank tops, no tight jeans. Piercings are limited to girls, to ears, and no more than two holes per. And so on. Without these laws of the land, "we'd be distracted from what we've come here to do," one girl tells me.

"Every boy must learn to pray," taught founder Father Flanagan. "How he prays is up to him."[/list]
          In part, they're here for months or even years of therapy that includes a healthy family life. Kids stay in mixed-race, same-sex groups of six to eight overseen by parent-teachers, resident married couples who are not just rule enforcers but caring supporters and role models. The dorms of earlier days have given way to 69 Tudor houses perched on curving lanes. Welcome flags whip in the wind, surnames dangle from lampposts: The Reals. The Carls. The Joneses.

I've barely stepped into the Jones foyer before I'm politely accosted with handshakes from five teenage boys—clearly in training. "They like the response they get and soon it becomes natural," says parent-teacher Tony Jones, who, with wife Simone, oversees eight teens and his own young son. Once a student here himself, Tony says, "Boys Town saved my life, so I came back to help the next generation."

Blocks away, Scott and Trisha Carl's house of girls represents the other half. Ashley, a sweet-faced freshman, is the first to befriend me. Running from room to room in her socks, she points proudly to family photos. "That's me. And I'm in this one too." Upstairs, her shared room is neat (a recent habit), and her months-old welcome balloon hovers at waist level, shriveled. "I'm keeping it until I leave," she says.

Jennifer—Ashley's roommate—and twin sister Dawn are cheerleader-pretty and busy in the town choir, ROTC, and flag corps (choreographed waving of oversized pennants, which they demonstrate for me in the foyer). "I'm not in all that," Ashley says, curling up in an overstuffed chair, "but I used to be afraid of water and now I swim." Once rebellious ("It's hard to be good when you don't care about yourself") and still reticent to smile, she has dreams of a safe household, a faithful marriage, and maybe a child "once I'm older and more in control."

But here, now, Ashley has "issues" to address. It's Thanksgiving morning and she's antsy; guests, most notably her mother, are coming. "We're working to have a better relationship," she tells me. And in the Carl living room the two do seem, at first, cautious. Then Ashley's mother brushes hair from her daughter's forehead and compliments her attitude change (at home last Christmas, she tells me, Ashley refused to leave her room). Before the feast—a group effort born from the well-rigged kitchen—mother and daughter hold hands as Ashley offers a prayer "for all who are hurting." And what are the Carl girls thankful for this year? "My parent-teachers," most declare. "That I'm in a safe place" is a close second. "If I weren't here, I'd probably be dead," one says.

Enter Father Peter, a man in constant motion. Today he'll breeze into every house with an infectious laugh and compliments to the chefs. "His visit is a Thanksgiving ritual," says Scott Carl. He and Trisha love their jobs, this place, these kids. "We get to protect them for a little while," Trisha says, forking up sweet potatoes.

There are, of course, bitter moments. Back at the Joneses, the big meal devoured and dishes done, stone-faced Frankie, 12, holds the greasy turkey wishbone out to Tony. "I wish I could go home," Frankie announces, looking at no one, and snaps off the bulk of the bone. Unsmiling, he walks out with his prize. "We can't and don't try to replace their families," Tony tells me later. "And some days they just want out. No surprise there."

Still, every day is a Thanksgiving of sorts for someone in this town, where new kids are made "citizens" in a festive ceremony. The Monday after the holiday, I join eight scrubbed newcomers waiting to face a cafeteria crowd. "I don't want to be here. I'd rather be with my real family," mumbles a straight-banged, suit-clad boy named John. "Better here than in jail," says the kid to his left. Then it's time. Father Peter stands and bids all welcome, cracks a corny joke or two, then calls on the kids to speak. Each rises and recites a rushed stream of well-rehearsed words, as heartfelt as one might expect from teens forced to the podium: My name is Joe. I've been here for two weeks. What I like best so far are the basketball courts. What I don't like is the point system. What I need to work on is controlling my anger. And so on. There's applause, and tense faces relax. No longer labeled bad kids, patients, or prisoners, all are deemed citizens and pledge to follow Boys Town's rules—to treat others as brothers and sisters, study hard, play fair, and pray well. "You are now part of our family," Father Peter announces.

Along the way a weary half smile has tweaked John's lips. I point it out to him. "I feel much better," he admits. "Now it's real—I'm part of something." The smile wins out. "I'm no longer an outsider."

© 1996-2006 National Geographic Society. All rights reserved.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
          « Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »
          On PPC as far as I know it has been bastardized. Brenthro took an idea that many mainstream educators had used for years and totally bastardized it into the extreme it is today and had the arrogance to claim he invented it. What is a school that allows seniors to be prefects or that has peer tutoring (older kids tutoring their younger peers in subjects they are behind in) doing if not using the idea of positive peer culture? Again whether this is perfect is another debate but it is simply NOT what brenthro turned it into.
          The other classic manipulation of a long standing youth movement is the way the ideas of Kurt Hahn have been mangled to make kids miserable through "wilderness" therapy. This was a guy who risked his life speaking out against hitler, who beleived that young people are inherently good and who saw the great outdoors as something to revel in . He also beleived that we all need opportunities for solitude so that we can develop out own ideas. It was about mastering each challenge at your own pace to build confidence. As well as founding outward bound and gourdonstun he taught ancient greek, history, politics and philosophy.  What did the assholes who founded this industry take from that? To push kids to beyond their limits and "exercise" them into total submission.
          I think you are right about the australian reaction to mercy. Aside from the same human rights issues that all post colonial countries have had with indigenous citizens, the idea that you can actually lock someone up like that against their will seemed astounding.
          Again I am not the boystown fan club I dont really like a level system and I take your point that they are pretty arrogant and if they are taking court appointed boys as well as the ones who elect to attend then someone needs to be doing regular welfare checks.  But it seems that their students have to express a desire to attend. They have never hidden the fact that they are religious so as long as kids have fair disclosure about what they are signing on for and can get out if they desire i am not about to lump them in with the other shitholes in this industry

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          Re: A Town of Their Own
          « Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
          Before I address Oz girl's post, I want to finish up with some more material related to the just previous article...

········· + ····· + ·········

On National Geographic's website, there's a section which accompanies the above piece, "A Town of Their Own," namely, "field notes" and observations of the writer and photographer on said assignment.

"In most cases these accounts are edited versions of a spoken interview. They have not been researched and may differ from the printed article."[/list]

Here are observations from reporter Jennifer Steinberg (photographer Landon Nordeman's observations in the post directly following):

Photo by Brian Strauss

On Assignment
            Nov. 2002

Field Notes From Author
            Jennifer Steinberg

Best
            Once a week Father Val Peter, executive director of Boys Town, invites a different household of teens to his home for dinner. The photographer and I were told we could stop by Father Peter's house, meet the kids, and observe for a few minutes. After a brief tour and a few introductions, the kids sat down to eat, and we got the vibe that it was time for us to go. But first Father Peter pulled me aside and told me how pleased he was at the way I was handling the assignment and interacting with the kids. "You just get it," he said, meaning I understood what he and others were trying to do at Boys Town and was careful not to interfere as I got my story. "I don't say that to many journalists," he added. He then shuffled chairs around at the head of the crowded table and invited me to stay for the meal as his special guest. The photographer and Boys Town press officer were escorted into the kitchen where they had to eat standing up, the door just barely ajar. It was fun to be teacher's pet again.

Worst
            I must say I didn't really have a bad experience at Boys Town, which in a way became my worst experience. Not that I wanted to see unruly kids getting into fights or having tantrums, but I had hoped to get a very real experience—to see both the good and the bad sides of the place and the people. While there were moments in which kids showed real emotion in my presence, most of the time they were on their best behavior, perhaps thinking that was what I wanted to see. Sometimes I felt their responses to my questions weren't entirely from the heart but instead were textbook answers coming from the teaching and counseling they'd received. With only bits and pieces of a week to get to know them, I knew they saw me as I was—a transient on their turf, tossing out intimate questions but not able to stick around long enough to get all the answers.

Quirkiest
            I had to have an escort whenever I spent time with the Boys Town kids. I'd be sitting on the couch interviewing one of the girls who lives with parent-teachers Scott and Trisha Carl, for example, and the Boys Town press officer would be sitting across the room chatting with another family member or reading a magazine. He joined me for the Jones family Thanksgiving grocery-shopping trip and later for Thanksgiving dinner at the Carls. I went to hear a student-run assembly, and guess who showed up? Same guy. A nice and helpful guy just doing his job, of course, but it was still disconcerting to be shadowed. It was a rule I had to live with—put in place to protect the kids from overzealous journalists wanting to ask questions about inappropriate topics such as an abusive past, drug problems, medications, etc. My escort eventually gave me some leeway when he saw that I wasn't breaking any rules, which was much appreciated. But it was a tough way to start out reporting a story.

© 2002 National Geographic Society. All rights reserved.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
            Re: A Town of Their Own
            « Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »
            Photo by Landon Nordeman

On Assignment
            Nov. 2002

Field Notes From Photographer
            Landon Nordeman

Best
            I photographed the Jones family a lot, so they invited me for Thanksgiving dinner. I've spent a few Thanksgivings away from my own family. When I worked for daily newspapers, I sometimes dined with the fire department or the Salvation Army, for example. But being at the table with all these kids from across the country was a special experience. It made me feel like part of the Boys Town family. We went around the table, and each one of us said what we were thankful for. It was great to hear the kids talk about how much they appreciate their new family at Boys Town. And of course, the food was wonderful. The dessert—Mrs. Jones's sweet potato pie—was the best I've ever tasted. The whole day was very special.

Worst
            This assignment made me realize how irresponsible I was as a teenager. I was never as mature as these kids are. When I was in high school, I always felt it was the kids versus the teachers. I didn't get that at all at Boys Town. The kids and the parent-teachers got along very well, and there seemed to be a mutual feeling of respect for one another. All of the kids are given so much responsibility, and they're so disciplined about doing homework and taking care of chores. Every night one of the boys is designated as the house manager. He makes sure that the other boys have done their chores, that the house is cleaned up, and the dishes are washed. The parent-teachers are there to supervise. There was no way I could have accepted that much responsibility at that age and I felt a sense of belated inadequacy.

Quirkiest
            Every family is given a van, so one day the kids piled into three or four vehicles and went to the movie theater in Omaha to see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I hadn't read the book or seen the movie, but I thought since the kids were going, I'd go with them. It was a little funny to be sitting there with about 40 kids. I loved the movie, but I never thought I'd be doing that in Boys Town. Then it occurred to me how the movie illustrates a comparison between Harry's life with his wicked aunt and uncle and the positive family experience of the kids at Boys Town. Maybe Harry isn't the only one who is saved by magic.

© 2002 National Geographic Society. All rights reserved.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
            Positive Peer Culture and Guided Group Interaction
            « Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
            On PPC as far as I know it has been bastardized. Brenthro took an idea that many mainstream educators had used for years and totally bastardized it into the extreme it is today and had the arrogance to claim he invented it. What is a school that allows seniors to be prefects or that has peer tutoring (older kids tutoring their younger peers in subjects they are behind in) doing if not using the idea of positive peer culture? Again whether this is perfect is another debate but it is simply NOT what brenthro turned it into.
            No, PPC did not evolve out of peer tutoring in schools and then become "bastardized," and it was not Larry Brendtro's idea per se, although I'm sure he contributed a great deal to it. But, at least you know who Brendtro is.

PPC has a far more specific legacy. Like I said, it evolved directly out of therapeutic community modalities used in prisons right after World War II. The allusions to mainstream education got pasted on afterwards, probably by Vorrath and Brendtro to make the method more palatable, not to mention more marketable to a broader audience.

Both Harry H. Vorrath and Larry K. Brendtro were co-authors of the book "Positive Peer Culture," first published in 1975, however, it was Vorrath who was senior author and the one who had connections to and experience with PPC's predecessor, "Guided Group Interaction." The prime difference between the two being that PPC also incorporates mainstream or further along kids as positive role models ("oldcomers," anyone?) to hurry along the behavior modification.

Lloyd McCorkle is the one who came up with Guided Group Interaction, specifically basing it on his experience with therapeutic communities during World War II. Both the U.S. and the British used therapeutic community methodologies on their own soldiers during the war.

McCorkle was later an assistant prison warden in New Jersey (and also a psychologist), and developed GGI as an effective behavior modification, group management, and self-improvement tool for working with groups of adult male prisoners. He published results on this in 1949: Lloyd McCorkle, "Group Therapy in Correctional Institutions," Federal Probation 13, no. 2 (1949).

McCorkle then tried his method on teenage males at the Highfields Reformatory, also in New Jersey, publishing results in 1958: Lloyd McCorkle, Albert Elias, and F. Lovell Bixby, "The Highfields Story," (New York: Henry Holt, 1958). Incidentally, for perspective, this is the year Charles Dederich, an ex-con, founded Synanon.

Harry Vorrath was working for McCorkle at Highfields in the 1950s, which is how he learned of GGI.

The thing to keep in mind here is that both GGI and PPC strive to create a therapeutic milieu, a 'round the clock environmental immersion to change the subjects' behavior from their minds outward. In other words, they are a type of therapeutic community. In no way can peer tutoring for academic subjects be considered to be even in the same ball park.

Btw, Brendtro was the former president of Starr Commonwealth, which runs the Montcalm program, which is also mentioned a few times here on fornits...

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
            « Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »
            OK I stand corrected on ppc. Bear in mind though that it has become a catch phrase in mainstream educational circles (at least here) for the most banal and benign practices eg senior students assistant coaching Jr school footy teams, making kids prefects, the ever fashionable "big brother" programs that every second school has set up for first years. I would bet my ass that your average deputy principal has no clue when they are using this catch phrase to dazzle mum and dad on open day that its roots are so bizarre.
            As to boystown many of its practices and the article do make me concede that i would not really want my kid there. The clapping and cheering when a kid said something everyone approved of in particular seemed a little creepy. The putting on a show for the cameras a little less so as most school do that to a certain extent. But i stand by my original point. There have been isolated complaints of clergy abuse but as someone pointed out this has happened and been dealt with equally appauling incompotence in the past at other jesuit institutions that are just normal boys schools (well normal for a particularly miliraistic brand of catholic family :whip: ) I would be far more concerned if they took kids without their consent or if the complaints were of things like physical restraint, gestault therapy, group think exercises or limited communication with family and friends.
            I shoud add that it is not that i view clergy abuse as a less serious issue. But to me the difference is twofold. It is about individual bad apples and the churches arrogant defence of them, not about an abusive educational philosophy or locking up citizens without right to due process. Secondly there are now and rightly so plenty of avenues for those who have been hurt by the church and the schools/communities involved have been forced to take complaints seriously and to put in sound preventative measures. The TTI is systemically abusive. Regulation can only go so far in stopping the most outrageous acts of abuse or neglect. Education needs to do the rest.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
            « Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 03:16:45 AM »
            Once a week Father Val Peter, executive director of Boys Town, invites a different household of teens to his home for dinner.

This seems creepy.  What about boundary issues?

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
            « Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 06:57:47 AM »
            whats creepy about that? Lots of principals of small boarding schools or parish priests do this. Id just assumed that in the US it is standard practice as it is in other western countries. Portsmouth Abbey for instance does this from time to time and it is not a gulag.
            Id be more concerned by the fact that boystown had its own press officer with them for the dinner than the fact of it on its own.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
            « Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »
            OK I stand corrected on ppc. Bear in mind though that it has become a catch phrase in mainstream educational circles (at least here) for the most banal and benign practices eg senior students assistant coaching Jr school footy teams, making kids prefects, the ever fashionable "big brother" programs that every second school has set up for first years. I would bet my ass that your average deputy principal has no clue when they are using this catch phrase to dazzle mum and dad on open day that its roots are so bizarre.
            I think it has become a mainstreamed catch phrase here as well. I myself certainly had no clue as to its origins as recently as three years ago. I also have to wonder whether this mainstreaming is, to some extent, intentional.

I shoud add that it is not that i view clergy abuse as a less serious issue. But to me the difference is twofold. It is about individual bad apples and the churches arrogant defence of them, not about an abusive educational philosophy or locking up citizens without right to due process. Secondly there are now and rightly so plenty of avenues for those who have been hurt by the church and the schools/communities involved have been forced to take complaints seriously and to put in sound preventative measures. The TTI is systemically abusive. Regulation can only go so far in stopping the most outrageous acts of abuse or neglect. Education needs to do the rest.
            If you think that schools/communities take complaints about Boys Town seriously... well, I would disagree. And therein is a huge problem, IMO. Individual bad apples or not, the church defends them, protects them, and finds a way to obfuscate incidents of abuse to the point where victims have no effective recourse for justice, nor validation for the harm they've experienced. The community is behind the Church, not the victims, especially so when it comes to Boys Town.

How, indeed, would anyone really know the extent of abuses at Boys Town, given the powerful and well-oiled publicity machine the Catholic Church runs?