Author Topic: Films about Teen Boot Camps  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Gentlestormi_

• View Profile
Films about Teen Boot Camps
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
I had watched "Over the G.W." and felt that it really helped the viewer enter into the emotional reality of the victim of mind control. Although hard to follow.

Last night i watched "BootCamp"
and though it may work to help others see the disaster going on in our nation, or maybe it could help open blind eyes to the harsh truth, i really felt that it failed in allowing the audience to enter into the real shattering experiences of the victims. It was kind of bland to me, and did not seem to help connect objective viewer to the ordeal of the victim of mind control, nor did it seem to allow one to enter into the years of after trauma that are left in the lives of victims. it was good though and may be it can help be an intro film for those who are not in the know

any more films you all here have watched and feel are good to help promote understanding of the reality of teen boot camps and religious boot camps?

thanks

Roloff Cult Survivor
GentleStormi
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Gentlestormi_

• View Profile
Re: Films about Teen Boot Camps
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
I had read the book by Julia Scheeres "Jesus Land: A Memoir" , here is my review i had written of it:

It is a story about one sister and her brother. It is a love story that is simple, complex and pure, stained with an overload of not enough love and too much harsh abuse. A story of a black brother and his white sister, growing up in Midwest America, in a family that is abusive and yet wear the tag of Christian.

Julia writes this book for her brother, to share the story of how they made it and what happened to them. It is a story of teens in American 1980's. It is a story of hard abuse, racism and cultic abuse.

It is a story that takes on to the Domincan Republic as she and her brother, David, survive a hell on earth in the form of a sordid and evil "Christian Teen Boot Camp".

The themes and elements that stand out to me are:

^^The total disconnect between Julia's parents and Julia and her two adopted black brothers. This disconnect between these overzealous yet ridiculously out of touch with reality parents is an element that shouts out in the pages of her writing, it stands out in glaring lights as one reads the story. This chasm of disconnect that glares on every page, the parents in one world and these three teens in another world.

^^The bond that grows from beginning between Julia and her black adopted brother, the ups and downs of this relationship in a racist city, the bond that grows thicker year by year as they find they are the only ones there for each other. Her love to her brother David has been tested by years, and it comes out shining as gold in the end of the book.

^^Julia's contempt for religious issues, which may be reasonable in the light of her abuse experience and the lack of real parental relationship. I got the idea of her sneering her way through her teens. Sneering at the things that are of religious issues, which I can see why, but I think it is a tragedy of circumstances that shaped that in her, and her never having felt loved by her parents, which would have given her the root of that. But her parents never gave her love.

^^The horror of "teen boot camp" as a way to deal with ones kids, the real evils done by parents who refuse to be responsible adults and raise their own offspring instead of sending them off to God forsaken places in the name of Christ Jesus and breaking them down in Gods name, which is a subversion of truth and a work of the evil one.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Films about Teen Boot Camps
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
This thread might be better served in the Feed Your Head forum, IMO...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------