Author Topic: Re: PREVENT HARMFUL USE OF RESTRAINT AND SECLUSION IN SCHOOLS  (Read 1295 times)

Offline RavingMad

• View Profile
Re: PREVENT HARMFUL USE OF RESTRAINT AND SECLUSION IN SCHOOLS
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
The sad part is Felice is a highly intelligent woman, it is shameful she wasted this gift to hurt others. What a shame and a waste.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RETARDS GET A LIFE...DO NOT POST ON FORNITS, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR BRAIN AND ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING OF VALUE.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
Well, I can't find the original source for the OP and no link was provided... my guess is that this was an e-alert from the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law.

Pertinent info, since this is tomorrow:

• 1. Call the Capitol switchboard @ 202-224-3121 and ask for the offices of

• your Senators (to co-sponsor S. 2860)
  • your Congressional Representative (to co-sponsor H.R. 4247)
To find the names of your U.S. Senators and Representative, click HERE or HERE.

• 2. Ask to speak to the person working on education issues. Identify yourself as a constituent and the organization that you represent (if any). Example messages:

"I am calling to urge (
Senator X) to cosponsor S. 2860, legislation preventing harmful use of restraint and seclusion in schools."[/list]
    "I am calling to urge (
Representative X) to cosponsor H.R. 4247, legislation preventing harmful use of restraint and seclusion in schools."[/list]

• 3. Important Points to Stress:

• The Government Accountability Office (GAO) found widespread incidents of significant injury and even death as a result of harmful restraint and seclusion in schools.
  • Research confirms that physical restraint and seclusion are not therapeutic, nor are these practices effective means to calm or teach children, and may have an opposite effect while simultaneously decreasing a child's ability to learn.
  • Children are protected from inappropriate physical restraint and seclusion in other settings, such as hospitals, health facilities, and non-medical community-based facilities.
  • Restraint and seclusion are ineffective at managing behavior in comparison to more positive ways of managing behavioral challenges in students with and without disabilities, such as the use of school-wide positive behavior supports.

See ALSO.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
I will probably catch crap for this but anyway here goes:

Why don’t they call it:

“Prevent the use of Restraint and seclusion in schools”?

When I read: “PREVENT HARMFUL USE OF RESTRAINT AND SECLUSION IN SCHOOLS”  It implies that Restraint and seclusion are okay as long they don’t harm the kids in the process.  Does this leave the door open for the use of proper (or unharmful) restraints and appropriate seclusion?  Are they saying  restraints are okay as long as the people are properly trained?  Is it a training issue? Or is the movement trying to eliminate the use of Restraints and seclusion all together? Or just in schools?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 10:17:04 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
I will probably catch crap for this but anyway here goes:

Why don’t they call it:

“Prevent the use of Restraint and seclusion in schools”?

When I read: “PREVENT HARMFUL USE OF RESTRAINT AND SECLUSION IN SCHOOLS”  It implies that Restraint and seclusion are okay as long they don’t harm the kids in the process.  Does this leave the door open for the use of proper (or unharmful) restraints and appropriate seclusion?  Are they saying  restraints are okay as long as the people are properly trained?  Is it a training issue? Or is the movement trying to eliminate the use of Restraints and seclusion all together? Or just in schools?

:shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:

Well I may have to catch the crap that flys by you, b/cuz I happen to agree w/ you. It is not very clear so far, but to no avail my vote will
be cast Eliscu2. Thanks...Whooter I happen to agree w/ alot of your posts, oh no. Gotta run...bye. lol seriously I do.
Danny............. :shamrock:  

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
After a little digging I found the wording is correct and the bill isnt trying to eliminate Restraints or seclusion.  It is designed to better control the use of them and will only apply to schools receiving federal funding.  He is the Readers Digest version:

H.R. 4247 would establish the first federal standards to protect students from misuse of restraint and seclusion, and ensure the safety of everyone in the classroom. It would apply to public schools, private schools and preschools receiving federal education support. Specifically the legislation would:

•   Establish important minimum federal safety standards in schools, similar to the protections already in place in hospitals and other non-medical community-based facilities;

•   Limit physical restraint and locked seclusion, allowing these interventions only when there is imminent danger of injury, and only when imposed by trained staff;

•   Outlaw mechanical restraints, such as strapping kids to chairs, and prohibit restraints that restrict breathing;

•   Require schools to notify parents after incidents when restraint or seclusion was used;

•   Call on states, within two years of enactment, to establish their own policies, procedures, and monitoring and enforcement systems to meet these minimum standards;
•   Encourage states to provide support and training to better protect students, and prevent the need for emergency behavioral interventions; and

•   Increase transparency, oversight and enforcement tools to prevent future abuse.

Link