Author Topic: aspergers?  (Read 6817 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: aspergers?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »
Aspergers, like autism, is real.

The problem with aspergers is not only who is diagnosed, but when. As far as the psychiatric community as a whole is concerned, (at least from what  I've read) an adult diagnosis of aspergers is impossible. By that time, it's impossible to distinguish if they are suffering from a biological condition, or they were simply "raised by wolves." I agree with this opinion.

In addition, there are those adults who feel that an aspergers diagnosis gives them carte blanche to act like an asshole. It also contributes to this understanding of "specialness", which really helps no-one, independent of any sort of medical evaluation.

My brother-in-law has aspergers. He was diagnosed at around 17 which is still kind of late, IMO. I'm no expert, but there is definitely something different about him that social upbringing can't account for. (Especially since I know his parents) I also know of some of the stuff he did as a kid, and it certainly seems to be consistent with aspergers. There's that arrogant part of me which wants to say "Trust me, the dude has aspergers.", cause seriously, he does.

I certainly noticed some similarities between my bro-in-law and my nephew, who is autistic. Different, but same. I know they call it a spectrum disorder, as in: there are degrees of severity, but I felt there was something intrinsically different. i.e. If I pushed aspergers to its extreme, it would not end up as autism. So I honestly dont know what the story is currently about how the two relate to each other. I think at one point it was viewed similar to a spectrum relationship/degrees of severity, but I think there are some schools of thought who now say that it's not. It's part of the same "family", but they don't populate the same axis.

I can't speak to that, however, but I tend to agree with the family instead of axis theory.

I don't think it is something that necessarily needs to be treated, either.

There is no treatment for aspergers syndrome, nor is there with autism. It's like saying there is a treatment for dwarfism. It's a condition, not a disease. There is special education which can assist with cognitive as well as social skills, as well therapy, both emotional and physical. (Then there are also those nightmare places like the Rotenberg center) But there's no *treatment* to help them *not* have aspergers, and there is actually a pretty vocal part of the autistic community who have a serious problem with the attitude that the condition is something to "cure".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
The problem with aspergers is not only who is diagnosed, but when. As far as the psychiatric community as a whole is concerned, (at least from what I've read) an adult diagnosis of aspergers is impossible. By that time, it's impossible to distinguish if they are suffering from a biological condition, or they were simply "raised by wolves." I agree with this opinion.
I disagree, although I imagine it is more difficult. There is also the relative degree of severity of Aspergers, which can vary. The more severe the Aspergers, the easier it is to diagnose, irregardless of age.

I certainly noticed some similarities between my bro-in-law and my nephew, who is autistic. Different, but same. I know they call it a spectrum disorder, as in: there are degrees of severity, but I felt there was something intrinsically different. i.e. If I pushed aspergers to its extreme, it would not end up as autism. So I honestly dont know what the story is currently about how the two relate to each other. I think at one point it was viewed similar to a spectrum relationship/degrees of severity, but I think there are some schools of thought who now say that it's not. It's part of the same "family", but they don't populate the same axis.

I can't speak to that, however, but I tend to agree with the family instead of axis theory.
I would definitely agree with you here. The similarity resides in the impact on social interaction, the cause of which may be for different reasons.

According to THIS site, the three main areas of dysfunction in Aspergers are:

• Executive Function
  • Sensory / Motor
  • Social-Cognitive

I've also read of Aspergers being described as a bottleneck in the exchange and integration of info between upper brain and lower brain, which might help explain some of the difficulties with social skills. By the time the info gets processed and has some context applied (context often being yet another problem), the actual social interaction has long passed, thereby limiting what can actually be learned from it. It might also help explain their difficulty in comprehending certain forms of humor, which involves a lot of back and forth between upper and lower brain.

There's also something called "mind-blindness," which involves, amongst other things, a difficulty in comprehending deviousness and mal-intent on the part of others. These kids are often bullied and victimized by their peers, when in less than ideal circumstances. Gotta love that "positive peer culture!"  :suicide:
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »
I don't believe (irregardless) is a word. Not trying to be a ass here or there.  lol
Anyway this whole read is interesting really, you are helping alot with a situation that a friend of mine is involved with. I've let
him read your posts. I believe it is sending him to recieve more clinical help for his son.    Thanks from Harry (a friend).

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
I don't believe (irregardless) is a word.

lol. It is. It means the exact same thing as "regardless". It's a combination of the words "regardless" and "irrespective". Kind of the same way that "empathetic" is a combination of "empathic" and"sympathetic."

Both of these are recent words, both informal, and both, IMO, are totally retarded. (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of either.) However, I *do* recognize the term "whimsicle fuckery", as started by April Winchell as recently as Several Months Ago.

Alternately, the order of "flammable" vs. "inflammable" is reversed, as "inflammable" was the original term (latin), then some 19th century fuck coined "flammable" (french) and Fucked Everything Up.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
etymology of "irregardless"
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 02:40:17 PM »
Quote from: "Red Hawk 70"
I don't believe (irregardless) is a word. Not trying to be a ass here or there.  lol
You are almost right! It is a "nonstandard" word. I decided to use it anyway, even though I had something else written in its place prior to the posted version, just because it had better rhythm in the sentence and ... I'm an ursine ass!  :D

Taken from my favorite etymological authority, Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry:
ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: ?ir-i-?gärd-l?s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »
Quote from: "RTP2003"
I don't think it is something that necessarily needs to be treated, either.
There is no treatment for aspergers syndrome, nor is there with autism. It's like saying there is a treatment for dwarfism. It's a condition, not a disease. There is special education which can assist with cognitive as well as social skills, as well therapy, both emotional and physical. (Then there are also those nightmare places like the Rotenberg center) But there's no *treatment* to help them *not* have aspergers, and there is actually a pretty vocal part of the autistic community who have a serious problem with the attitude that the condition is something to "cure".
No, ya really can't exactly rewire an entire human brain. And some of the medications prescribed for certain commonly associated diagnoses such as ADD, OCD, anxiety disorder and the like, are sometimes contraindicated by the Aspergers. IMO, that is. But these would be different approaches entirely from supportive and targeted education like learning appropriate social protocol, how to pick up on certain social cues, social anxiety coping skills, etc. ...and from which someone with Aspergers usually benefits greatly from.

This kind of thing was initially not so universally offered (still isn't), even when Aspergers Syndrome finally made the DSM, 'cuz people made assumptions based on individuals' IQ levels. When you consider that approximately 22% (depending on yer source) are in the "superior" range, it's easy to understand why neurotypicals often assume Aspies should "know better."

As far as that hellhole otherwise known as the Judge Rotenberg Center goes, it is absolutely the worst thing you can do to someone with Aspergers, as evidenced by the plethora of anti-JRC autism/asperger activism out there in the blogosphere. Even Matthew Israel himself observed that the more intelligent the client, the worse they seem to fare with his particular brand of "treatment."

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »
Recommended reading on the subject of the ASD: anything by Tony ATTWOOD or Temple GRANDIN.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
It is if you use it enough.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
It is if you use it enough.
LMAO....

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »
Our kind are the next step in human evolution.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Good source to start from: http://www.wrongplanet.net/article112.html

ISNT
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
ISNT
:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

What Is NT?

Neurotypical syndrome is a neurobiological disorder characterized by preoccupation with social concerns, delusions of superiority, and obsession with conformity.

Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one, or the only correct one. NTs find it difficult to be alone. NTs are often intolerant of seemingly minor differences in others. When in groups NTs are socially and behaviorally rigid, and frequently insist upon the performance of dysfunctional, destructive, and even impossible rituals as a way of maintaining group identity. NTs find it difficult to communicate directly, and have a much higher incidence of lying as compared to persons on the autistic spectrum.

NT is believed to be genetic in origin. Autopsies have shown the brain of the neurotypical is typically smaller than that of an autistic individual and may have overdeveloped areas related to social behavior.[/list]

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »
    That's awesome!  Thank you for posting this, Antigen.

Tragically, as many as 9625 out of every 10,000 individuals may be neurotypical.

Offline psy

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
    « Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »
    Quote from: "Antigen"
    ISNT
    :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

What Is NT?

Neurotypical syndrome is a neurobiological disorder characterized by preoccupation with social concerns, delusions of superiority, and obsession with conformity.

Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one, or the only correct one. NTs find it difficult to be alone. NTs are often intolerant of seemingly minor differences in others. When in groups NTs are socially and behaviorally rigid, and frequently insist upon the performance of dysfunctional, destructive, and even impossible rituals as a way of maintaining group identity. NTs find it difficult to communicate directly, and have a much higher incidence of lying as compared to persons on the autistic spectrum.

NT is believed to be genetic in origin. Autopsies have shown the brain of the neurotypical is typically smaller than that of an autistic individual and may have overdeveloped areas related to social behavior.[/list]

LOL.  Very funny.
      Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
      Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
      "Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
      « Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 01:30:55 AM »
      Its an autism spectrum disorder. Like a mild form of autism. There is a possiblility that a lot of kids who are shy or who simply march to their own band have become misdiagnosed in a world that no longer has much tolerance for harmless eccentrics. I agree with psy that in some ways it is just a different way of looking at the world.
      I guess if I had a kid with it I would want them to be able to recognize the differences that they have to live with and to be able to try and put themselves in their peer's shoes simply so that being a part of society is easier for them. But i dont know if i would try and "cure" them. I guess it is hard to know if you dont live with it or have a loved one who does
      n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen