Author Topic: Dr. Phil  (Read 5500 times)

Offline abreaction

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« on: September 13, 2003, 09:25:00 AM »
Hey does anybody else feel uneasy about Doc Phil?
I can't stand all the praise everybody says about him!!!  Mainstream America is always looking for a quick fix.  His berating people and saying "Get real" reminds me of drug treatment programs? There is no quick fix to long term behaviors, only being able to figure out where the behavior came from.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
hen the pure impulse of the strong, the knowledgeable and the wise to spring to the aid of the frightened and the vulnerable becomes instinctive-possibly the root of the greatest good in mankind is found    
Trevor Southey

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »
Funny you mention this, abreaction...whoever you are..BTW, who are you? What program were you in? But anyway, I saw a blurb last night and was thinking THE SAME THING! That guy DOES remind me of the 'program' type. Fuck him and his self-riteous bullshit! Howard Stern doesn't like him either, for what that's worth. Speaking of Stern, I wish someone would try to get him interested in talking about abusive rehabs. He just might go for it. I'm a long-time listener to his radio show (though I don't tune in much anymore) and knowing him, I think there's a chance that if the timing were right and it were presented in an interesting context, that someone could get him talking about this stuff. And you can't tell me that this would be a waste of time. His voice reaches many ears. HELLO...,lol. But, oh yeah, Dr. Phil sucks..

[ This Message was edited by: Froderik13 on 2003-09-13 07:58 ]

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 12:30:00 PM »
My name is Brian (Alex).  I am a survivor of Straight Incorporated of Pinellas.  I was there from the years of around '86 to '89, three years.  I was released only when I became of legal age, I guess I got graduated because staff knew I would cop out legally anyways.  In about two weeks of emancipation I told my mother I was suicidal, and two weeks after that I was on a plain back to Texas to live with dad and step mom I hadn't been allowed to speak to for three years.  
I am recently discussing my events with a counselor, coming to relive that daily routine I lived in there.  I am unmasking emotions that I have about the constant breaking down.  I have all of the emotions that others in my shoes feel.  I feel that motherfucking rage for being incarcerated by the supportive government.  Over the years after straight I have gotten myself into legal trouble because I learned to hide those shameful feelings about my family and myself and what happened.  I have learned to fight when I feel I am about to lose something I have no control over anyways.  
If you read the discertation the counselors have written on my trauma because of Straight you would see my meds there, and the doc wants me on it in order to curb my inflicted bipolar disorder.  Lithium carbonate.  The counselor offers EMDR which helps my PTSD, a trauma with induced flashbacks that is typical of people who actually survive long term abuse.
After Straight I went on to try some recreational drugs.  Weed, alcohol, acid.  
Its hard to remember anything about Straight even though I have nightmares about it sometimes.  I don't remember alot of what they told us to keep anonymous, but I do know that its hard for me to focus today - hard still to listen intentively to much but the yelling and abandoning from my past.  Its hard to trust others even today because I am afraid they are analyzing me or will turn on me.  I remember having to spit therapize other people in order to be part of the group.  I remember the losing friends in Straight when I wasn't getting the help I needed.  I mean, my problem was never drugs - it was my family and I that had problems.  Group sessions never adressed my issues I was simply told with that great psychobabble lingo that we all learned that perhaps I had addictive tendencies.
Sometimes I fantasize I really want to kill my parent or something like that for the three years that got taken from me - of course, my parent was duped, too.  Its like being raped and you don't have a choice but to hang on and either get even or become stoic and sorta act like everything is okay.  My single parent put me in their for help because we fought alot about appearance and ethics.  After I got out my parent told me that I was wrong for not helping out the whole family while in Straight, and that I was trying to rebel against them for staying in there so long.
Yeah I really hate shame and guilt and loss feelings.  But that is what me and this counselor are talking about, talking about how I mask these 'less than perfect feelings' - mask with anger and trying to fuck up someone else's shit now.
We have also discussed class action law suits.  I am here to find out how to bring law suits against anyone who took the time to take away my life and abuse and confront and spit on me and incarcerate me and hold me truant about things I never did for three years.  I am aware of limitations but I am also aware that there are thousands that are looking for fair justice.
I'm here to protest wherever there will be protesting because protesting is fun and it helps to the good feelings.
I am nauseated when I hear that term that fits my situation so well, 'It's Time For the Silence to End'.  My piers pressured me to tell them everyday and even on Sundays that the first and most important rule was Anonymity.
This is beginning and I believe that somehow these criminals will be brought to justice and no longer allowed to hide behind its blindness.  Please email me if you'd like to discuss truancy suits, equal rights and liberties suits as this is what I am interested in filing for.
Where is Sam Monroe?  She is a pillar.  I met her at a convention and I am inspired by her tenacity.  
I will try to share more specific experiences on these posts.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Dr. Phil
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 01:04:00 PM »
Yes, Dr. Phill always reminds me of the program. I can't watch or listen to the guy at all, he just sets me off into a smouldering rage.

Also, Maury Povich putting teenage girls on the bogus "lie detector" in front of a live and tv audience and "proving" they were lying about fucking a bunch of middle aged men. Sally Jessy Raphael, I'm convinced, learned her trade in Parents group. There's just so much of it around, it's hard to avoid. But here's a nice tip; you won't see any of that bullshit out in the woods, so that's where I like to spend a little time as often as I can get away.

Know what else? I just realized this the other night. When I was a kid growing up in Pompano, whenever there was some excitement, whether it involved cops or firemen or just a power company truck with a cherry picker or just a couple of neighbors having a loud argument, everyone within ear shot turned out to rubber neck and gossip. It seemed like the most natural thing to do.

In the Program, of course, this was not permitted. "Pay attention to the person who's talking" was code for "Don't look, or even think about the kid getting his ass kicked on the floor right next to you, or in the timeout room not quite ear-shot away." That, I think, is the primary reason why so many of us can't remember a whole lot of detail about the time we spent in these various warehouses.

Well, in Broward County these days (I just escaped with my family and little else around a year and a half ago) whenever the police are involved in anything, they come out enforce. However many guys they've got doing whatever they're doing at the address on your street, they've got two more going up and down the street with their flashlights and car mounted search lights ordering people to go back into their houses and not to look at what's going on.

And people don't come out and bear witness to trouble in their own neighborhoods anymore. It seems they've learned they're not supposed to look.

It's not like that here in our little depressed steel town in SW Pennsylvania. When there's excitement, people rubber-neck, oggle and gossip and it doesn't seem to bother the cops a bit. But it took me over a year to notice the difference. When I was back "home" in the psychotic shell of what Pompano used to be, I didn't even notice the progression. In recent years, I've found that Program people have had a great deal of influence in public policy in Florida; moreso than on the Federal level or in other localities. What about where you are?  

I don't know if there will ever be a class action, but there certainly should be. Contact Wes Fager http://thestraights.com/ and Safety Net http://www.safetyintl.org/ They've both been investigating the possibility of a class action and/or a claims bill against the State of Florida.

Give to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself - that is my doctrine.

--Thomas Paine

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 03:57:00 PM »
I contacted Wes this morning before writing my first post.  I'm thinking - neglect of civil rights, child abuse, truancy.  
As you say, I will contact this other sight and see how far we are with an investigation to file claims.

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »
that is strange Ginger. You cannot get people back in their houses here. We rubber-neck are nosy and basically get up in everyone's shit and everyone always talks about everyones business.

Now I think I love it. It is a sign that NY is not Jeb Bush's state!

Back to the Dr Phil thing. He rubs me the wrong way. Abrasive, annoying, arrogant, quick fix psychobabble bullshit.

And the dude was brought up on some sort of sexual charge and had to be re- liscenced? What the fuck? He is a bully.

What was done with the seed saved from the India Hemp last summer? It ought, all of it, to have been sewn again; that not only a stock of seed sufficient for my own purposes might have been raised, but to have disseminated the seed to others; as it is more valuable than the common Hemp.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington, Writings of Washington, Vol. 35, pg. 72

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »
That's good to hear, Kady. Do you live in the city proper?

G:   "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
EB:  "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."
-- Somewhere in No Man's Land, BA4

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 10:05:00 PM »
No upstate Ny Kingston. Country kinda. I hate the city. I love trees!

The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture
is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin
to understand me?

--O'Brien to Winston Smith

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »
Ahh, Dr Newton, er I mean Dr. Phil...

A couple of weeks ago I was channel surving and came across a 14 year old and his mother on Dr. Phil (phraud?). The mom was complaining that the kid smoked pot. The kid proclaimed he liked it and wasn't likely to stop, his grades were good, etc, why should he? (that was his argument).

Dr Phil, very angrily and confrontation like, leaned over and got in the kid's face and proclaimed "if you were my kid, before the sun set you would be in a in patient drug rehab".

That is when I flipped the channel. I just couldn't take him anymore.

Fuck him and all of his type...

Power concedes nothing without a demand. The limit of oppression is determined by the extent of the endurance of the oppressed.
--Frederick Douglas

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-09-25 10:51 ]

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »
Fuck him and all of his type...

Yes! Fuck him, and all his type. I like the sound of that. Spit in his fucking face. Take away his toilet paper after he shits, tell him to pinch it off, and cram peanut butter down his throat. Let fat men sit on him untill his bones break. Jerk his dumb-ass head and make him pay attention to someone ranting about how much of an asshole he is and people like him are. Yank what little hair he has left out. Drop him off in the worst ghetto of Washington DC at night. Cram his head in a toilet full of shit. Then tell him you love him.  :rofl:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »
On 2003-09-22 19:05:00, kaydeejaded wrote:

"No upstate Ny Kingston. Country kinda. I hate the city. I love trees!

The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture
is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin
to understand me?

--O'Brien to Winston Smith

"

I think maybe that's the difference. It's hard for people to stay around here. A lot of them don't; they leave the area to find decent paying jobs. Those of us who are here, whether flatlander refugees or natives hillbillys, probably place a higher value on that kind of easy-going-ness than those who crowd themselves together in the cities.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
"Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?"
--Hobbs to Calvin

Offline Roy

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 11:37:00 PM »
I totally agree,
I am a therapist and I can't believe that asshole. What he is doing looks to me like some kind of ritious version of Gestalt combined with Reality Therapy. If that is true you would be right. It is what they are taught to use in many behavior modification schools such as CEDU and Brown Schools - only by worse idiots that DR Phil.

It's funny, but, when you check out the credentials of many of the PhDs at Boarding Schools you find an abundance of non-accredited, correspondence type education - even in unrelated fields. The old clinical director of CEDU had a correspondence PhD in Theology. Bill Valentine, CEDUs Parent Services Director, claims to have a PhD from Southern California University. I checked it out. It's a distance learning degree in Business and Management, unaccerdited, and currently they don't offer PhDs. Most recently, Brown School's / CEDU hired Tim Marshall to replace the Theology Guy. He had a Masters degree from BYU the Mormon University. That would probably explain the WWAWP mentality since they have Mormons up the wazoo as does the new CEDU. And this --(though they haven't figured it out yet)-- is why CEDU is going down the drain.

Therapists in general don't and can't endorse coersive programs like these. Not even most of the therapists they fool into working for them believe in their warped version of ethics. It goes against everything we are taught about what works - voluntary change, loving relationships, optomism and hope. We are humanistic in focus and believe in the individual's right to self determination, respect and dignity. That is why I left CEDU, and none of the 10 or so therapists I knew who worked at CEDU stayed there. Kudos to them. Working at any of these places is unethical, and it puts one's licence and the sanity of kids in danger - the latter being more important. I stayed as long as I did only to provide kids some dignity, a safe office, understanding and love in That den of snakes. With that an mind, I totally agree. Fuck them and Fuck Dr Phill.

Offline Roy

• View Profile
Dr. Phil
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 11:21:00 AM »
Dr Phil Sucks
Posted: 2003-10-14 20:37:00  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I totally agree,
I am a therapist and I can't believe that asshole. What he is doing looks to me like some kind of ritious version of Gestalt combined with Reality Therapy. If that is true you would be right. It is what they are taught to use in many behavior modification schools such as CEDU and Brown Schools - only by worse idiots that DR Phil.

It's funny, but, when you check out the credentials of many of the PhDs at Boarding Schools you find an abundance of non-accredited, correspondence type education - even in unrelated fields. The old clinical director of CEDU had a correspondence PhD in Theology. Bill Valentine, CEDUs Parent Services Director, claims to have a PhD from Southern California University. I checked it out. It's a distance learning degree in Business and Management, unaccerdited, and currently they don't offer PhDs. Most recently, Brown School's / CEDU hired Tim Marshall to replace the Theology Guy. He had a Masters degree from BYU the Mormon University. That would probably explain the WWAWP mentality since they have Mormons up the wazoo as does the new CEDU. And this --(though they haven't figured it out yet)-- is why CEDU is going down the drain.

Therapists in general don't and can't endorse coersive programs like these. Not even most of the therapists they fool into working for them believe in their warped version of ethics. It goes against everything we are taught about what works - voluntary change, loving relationships, optomism and hope. We are humanistic in focus and believe in the individual's right to self determination, respect and dignity. That is why I left CEDU, and none of the 10 or so therapists I knew who worked at CEDU stayed there. Kudos to them. Working at any of these places is unethical, and it puts one's licence and the sanity of kids in danger - the latter being more important. I stayed as long as I did only to provide kids some dignity, a safe office, understanding and love in That den of snakes. With that an mind, I totally agree. Fuck them and Fuck Dr Phill.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Phil
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 07:26:28 PM »
Quote from: "Roy"
Dr Phil Sucks
Posted: 2003-10-14 20:37:00  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I totally agree,

You probably won't see this, but thank you, for coming fowrd on behalf of CEDU kids.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Phil
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
Dr. Phil is gross.

I watched the "E True Hollwood Story" about him one day.  The guys is nothing but the reeking leftovers of the 1980's pyramid marketing craze.  This guy doesnt know shit about shit.  Its a horrfic that this man has authority over anyone's mental status or circumstances.  I bet if the opportunity had been right...he'd have been the Director of a whole host of treatment centers and bullshit therapeutic businesses.

Jackass.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere