Author Topic: The Grand Daddy of RTCs is dead  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Grand Daddy of RTCs is dead
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:23:50 PM »
From duct taping students to their beds, to running into runaways with his car, to spiral fracture city, Jack Williams, the self-professed sociopath is dead.  http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2009 ... 6/1002/rss
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: The Grand Daddy of RTCs is dead
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »
Cinnamon Hills owner Jack Williams dies
BRIAN AHERN • DECEMBER 20, 2009
ST. GEORGE – After a two-year battle with a terminal illness, Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Center owner Jack Williams died Friday at his St. George home.

He was 76.
Williams’ life’s work involved helping troubled youths. More than 50 years of his life was dedicated to that endeavor – with Williams spending nearly 20 of those years in St. George.
His Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Center has grown to more than 200 employees, and is a monument to Williams’ dedication to putting young people on the right track.
For the full story, see Monday's edition of The Spectrum & Daily News.
One down and only 200 more of the “legacy” to go…
198, if that number included the two staffers busted for molesting kids at Cinnamon Hills.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:27:17 PM »
Jack is the originator of Provo Canyon.  Bob Lichfield and most of the WWASP crew, Karr Farnsworth, Brent Facer,  Ron Garrett, were his disciples at Provo Canyon before moving on to start WWASP.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Jack L. Williams
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:41:07 AM »
The Spectrum & Daily News
Jack L. Williams
December 21, 2009

Jack L. Williams, 76, Owner & Administrator of Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Center, lost his 2 yr battle with a terminal illness on Friday, at his home.

Services will be at Metcalf Mortuary, Wednesday, Dec 23rd at 11:00am.

Jack was Born Jan. 16th, 1933 in Santa Monica, Ca. He was raised by Charlotte Roden, loving Mother & nurse, and was Jack's foster mother, just 8 months after his birth. He grew up in humble surroundings in downtown Los Angeles where he learned much about the difficulties of life, the work he would be engaged in for nearly 50 years of his life, helping youth. He enlisted in the Navy and was stationed in Guam on a Aircraft Carrier, during the Korean War. After military service, he found and married his sweetheart, Darla Rae Olsen, after making her acquaintance on the beach, in 1956.

Jack helped everyone. He did it quietly, and never judged. He would say, "All that I have is a blessing from the Lord," and he was grateful to share.

A resident of St. George for 18 years. They served 2 missions together and always a tremendous strength to family, and friends.

He gave much to many! We will miss him dearly...

A public viewing will be Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m.

Copyright ©2009 The Spectrum
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
Oh too have a plane with a banner saying, "Good Riddance Child Abuser" over his funeral would be so delicious.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
City Councilman worked for Jack Williams, wow!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 09:58:06 AM »
A featured article in the local paper today.  http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2009 ... dies-at-76

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Cinnamon Hills founder Jack Williams dies at 76
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
The Spectrum & Daily News
Cinnamon Hills founder Jack Williams dies at 76
BY BRIAN AHERN • [email protected] • December 21, 2009

ST. GEORGE - After a two-year battle with a terminal illness, Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Center owner Jack L. Williams died Friday at his St. George home.

He was 76.

Williams' work involved helping troubled youths. More than 50 years of his life was dedicated to that endeavor - with Williams spending nearly 20 of those years in St. George.

His Cinnamon Hills Youth Crisis Center has grown to more than 200 employees, and is a monument to Williams' dedication to putting young people on the right track, according to friends.

Jim Downey worked with Williams at Cinnamon Hills and considered him a close friend.

"He was probably the most passionate person I've ever been around," Downey said. "He required everyone who worked for him to be totally committed to reaching the goals for the kids."

Downey added that he had never seen someone as dedicated as Williams when it came to doing whatever it took to reach troubled teens.

"He was above and beyond in his field of work with kids," he said. "I know of no one more passionate and committed to helping youths than Jack."

Newly elected St. George City Councilman Benjamin Nickle said Williams had a tremendous impact on his own life. He knew Williams since he was a teenager and has worked at Cinnamon Hills for more than seven years.

"The thing about Jack was he was always the kind of person who would give back to everyone he knew," he said. "He was very special to me."

Nickle recalled one his first meetings with Williams. Hoping to get Nickle's family on the right track, Williams approached Nickle and his parents and encouraged them to be more involved with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"Jack came around to our house and starting visiting us, trying to get us to go to church," he said. "It was pretty tough getting through to my dad. He physically threw him out of the front door."

"But then the next month he showed up again and as if nothing had ever happened ... he was more concerned about getting me on the right track than anything else."

That would be the beginning of a life-long relationship between Nickle and Williams. After returning from an LDS mission, Nickle took a job at Cinnamon Hills and has been working there ever since.

"I don't think he ever found a case that was hopeless," Nickle said. "The kind of work we're involved in is something we can all be very proud of."

When Nickle won his city council seat, one of his first calls was to Williams.

"I was very happy to share that political victory with Jack," he said. "He provided great moral support for me."

Williams was born Jan. 16, 1933, in Santa Monica, Calif., He grew up in downtown Los Angeles, raised by foster mother Charlotte Roden. It was this humble upbringing, Nickle said, that instilled in Williams a desire to help others.

"I know jack was very passionate about saving young people's lives because he was once in that position," he said. "Jack understood it."

As a teen Williams joined the Navy and was stationed in Guam during the Korean War. He married Darla Rae Olsen in 1956.

He had lived in St. George for 18 years and according to Downey, he made an impression on nearly everyone he met.

"He was the most unforgettable character I ever met," he said. "He will be sorely missed."

A full obituary for Jack Williams can be found on Page A4.

Copyright ©2008 The Spectrum

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Provo Canyon School originally called OAK HILL SCHOOL
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
Absolutely Z-E-R-O mention of Jack Williams' years at Provo Canyon School in the above obituary and companion tribute article. Will Lon Woodbury mention it? No word yet...

In the meantime, here's a bit of trivia: Provo Canyon School was originally called Oak Hill School. Some early history, from their website:

1971 – 1978
    The genesis of Provo Canyon School originated as a group home for boys in Mapelton, a city 15 miles south of Provo, under the direction of Jack L. Williams, a businessman, and Robert H. Crist, a psychiatrist. Originally called Oak Hill School, the first students commenced classes in March 1971. The staff consisted of the founders, two teachers, two group living staff, a secretary, and five students. Remodeling began on the large contemporary home nestled against the mountains on top of a hill overlooking Utah valley, with an open house convening on October 1, 1971. The ribbon-cutting ceremony, officially opening the school was conducted by Mrs. Calvin Rampton, wife of the Utah governor. By 1972, the school had expanded to an enrollment of 28 students and 16 staff.
    [/list]
      In January 1973 as a result of growth and a need for expansion, a new location was sought. A suitable site was found in Provo, with the program transferring on February 28. Due to its new geography near the mouth of the canyon, the name changed to Provo Canyon School.[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Help Boys: That's Aim Of School
      « Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »
      And here's an old article about the Oak Hill School (later to become known as Provo Canyon School) which came out 'bout half a year after it commenced operations. Note that the below reported numbers (staff, kids) are somewhat different from those indicated on their website (previous post).

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

The Deseret News
      Tuesday, September 7, 1971

Help Boys: That's Aim Of School
      Deseret News Special

MAPLETON, Utah County -- Nestled in the hills just a few miles east of here is a unique, new school designed to help boys with delinquency problems.

"It's the only school like it in the state," said Richard M. Freeman, program coordinator for Oak Hill School.

Owners Jack Williams and Dr. Robert Crist of Provo started the school last March to help boys ages 13 to 17 "who weren't fitting into the public school system."

The institution provides 24-hour-a-day residential care and individualized therapy and treatment, along with a comprehensive education and recreation program, Freeman said.

24-HOUR CARE

There are 26 staff members to work with 33 students in the group living program, he noted. The staff includes counselors, teachers, therapists and a psychiatrist, Dr. Crist.

Right now, the school facilities consist of a new residential and classroom building located on a 50-acre ranch about 12 miles southeast of Provo. As the school grows, cottages will be built near the main building, where the boys will live with established families, Williams explained.

In addition to academic and work situations, the boys participate in outings, sports and cultural events. The program is designed to get each boy interested in worthwhile activities and help him gain self esteem.

There are some rough times at the start as these young men come in and are subject to discipline and a new way of life, Williams explained. But in the long run, many of them are looking for limits and bounds, and after they gain control and learn they can handle a structured system, behavior modification occurs, he reported.

$600 A MONTH

Students come to the school through legal, family and church referrals. Tuition is $600 a month, and a student will usually stay about nine months, the school official said. However, some will leave in six months if progress warrants, and others may stay up to two years, he added.

Although the school has been in operation only six months, already there have been "some very satisfying experiences and successes," Williams noted.

"Some of these students have a lot of things to wade through because they have had rough backgrounds, but as they receive love and respect, they change," he declared.

School plans call for eventual installation of farming facilities, a skeet range, riding trails and livestock ranges, he said.

"Our goal is to accomplish total rehabilitation and produce self-sustaining individuals," Williams explained. "One of the big advantages of the school is it takes these boys out of bad environments and gives them a lot of personal attention from people who have healthy outlooks on life."

# # #

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
      Cheering over an old man's death? You have no shame, do you?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Comments for "Cinnamon Hills founder Jack Williams dies..."
      « Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 07:53:54 PM »
      Comments for the above tribute article, "Cinnamon Hills founder Jack Williams dies at 76" (by Brian Ahern; Spectrum & Daily News; Dec. 21, 2009):

EstefaniaCF wrote: 12/21/2009 8:31:25 AM
        To my dear Darla and Family
        Words, however kind... can't mend your heartache. But those who care and
        share your loss wish you comfort and peace of mind.
        May you find strength in the love of family and in the warm embrace of friends.
        With heartfelt sympathy and all my love to you .

Deepest Sympathy
      happyguy1 wrote: 12/21/2009 3:47:30 PM
        The truth be known.
      http://www.heal-online.org/cinhills.htm
      http://wiki.fornits.com/index.phptitle= ... sis_Center

http://revealingtruthinnovascotia.blogs ... -utah.html[/list]
      Jomimee wrote: 12/21/2009 9:31:49 PM
        You know those lies just because he was an LDS man is bullcrap....I have been there and he was very dedicated to helping those teens, no matter what their beliefs were, now Red Rock Canyon school is another story ran by perverts. Jack Williams used to spend tons of money every Christmas to give them a good Christmas no matter what. He paid 500 dollars to anyone of his employees to quit smoking, and he did when they did, he was just a man who had a path of going above and beyond to help ANYONE he could....now....he didn't lay NO RELIGION on these kids, just structure and a way for them to better themselves......so quit with the bullcrap....I am related to him and I am not LDS....so....leave him alone and let him rest in peace.....
      happyguy1 wrote: 12/22/2009 9:04:43 AM
        Believe me, Jack is not resting in peace. Jack and these programs around here need to be exposed for what they are. I'm very surprised to find the city council has one of them now. I agree that across the street is just as bad with Frank and his boys; how many deaths have they had? 3-4? Jack was a self-professed sociopath, duct taped kids to their beds, and when finding runaways out on the loose would tackle them with his car. Jack is legendary in the industry with outlandish stories of the treatment of students and employees. Jack opens a hotel in St. George and totally used native american youths in his treatment care to run the place without any pay or compensation for their work. Jack was all about Jack's pockets and ego. Cinnamon Hills employs a lot of people so everyone will keep looking the other way.
      gltrc wrote: 12/22/2009 2:03:28 PM
        I don't think you need to worry about Jack's eternal rest. Perhaps you should worry more about how you can try to help others and solve problems rather than just denigrate others. I worked at Cinnamon Hills when it was strictly a native program and it did not own the building that is now the Ambassador. Native American children (nor any others) have ever worked for Jack without compensation. All children were expected to keep their own area clean, wash their own clothes, etc., just as you would expect your own child at home. I watched the program develop and improve with the children's safety considered of the utmost importance. Staff who were not able to guarantee a child's safety were let go. And there was never any duct tape involved in all the years I worked there. Jack may not have always been the easiest person to work for but he really did have the best interests of the children at heart.
      gltrc wrote: 12/22/2009 2:35:26 PM
        Sorry....*No* Native American children (nor any others) have ever worked for Jack without compensation. I left off the *No.*

There are success stories out there, children who have turned their lives around and who owe it to the fact Cinnamon Hills and its employees (and Jack Williams) cared enough to encourage them to make better choices.
      Satanyca wrote: 12/22/2009 2:46:46 PM
        You have no right to accuse any of the staff at Red Rock for being "perverts". I understand that Jack fired many employees for "stupid reasons". You've never worked at Red Rock, so you can not begin to imagine the love that the staff there, has for the kids that are habilitated in that facility. You slander with no evidence, you ridicual with no firm grounds. Unless you know the "truth" about anything, you can not accuse. This is not to slander Jack. I never knew the man. I've heard both good/bad about him. Let him rest in peace without slamming his competition.
      wy8earp wrote: 12/23/2009 9:49:33 AM
        First off happyguy1 really needs to change his name to more like bitterguy. I knew Jack as well as anybody that worked with him and the opportunity to get to know him outside of work. He was a unique individual but if were not for him I would have ever attempted to complete school or know that I was worth something. I also had the opportunity to hear back from many the kids that completed his program that were saved due to there stay at Cinnamon Hills. Jack loved the kids and staff. Jack and for that matter Frank at Red Rock gave much more than they made. Frank just donated the money to help Dixie College build a training area. Jack never turned a person away that needed help. Neither does Frank. Frank feeds the community for Christmas and Thanksgiving. He does many more things privately for the community that I will not mention because he chooses not to make his generosity known. Happyguy1 sure didn't complain when he cashed his checks. Every program owes Jack I owe him!
      Jomimee wrote: 12/24/2009 9:52:02 PM
        Replying to Satanyca:
        "You have no right to accuse any of the staff at Red Rock for being "perverts". I understand that Jack fired many employees for "stupid reasons". You've never worked at Red Rock, so you can not begin to imagine the love that the staff there, has for the kids that are habilitated in that facility. You slander with no evidence, you ridicual with no firm grounds. Unless you know the "truth" about anything, you can not accuse. This is not to slander Jack. I never knew the man. I've heard both good/bad about him. Let him rest in peace without slamming his competition."[/list]
        I have worked at Red Rock as the Green unit leader......I know....[/list]
        Jomimee wrote: 12/24/2009 9:56:42 PM
          Replying to happyguy1:
          "Believe me, Jack is not resting in peace. Jack and these programs around here need to be exposed for what they are. I'm very surprised to find the city council has one of them now. Jack was a self-professed sociopath, duct taped kids to their beds, and when finding runaways out on the loose would tackle them with his car. Jack is legendary in the industry with outlandish stories of the treatment of students and employees. Jack opens a hotel in St. George and totally used native american youths in his treatment care to run the place without any pay or compensation for their work. Jack was all about Jack's pockets and ego."[/list]
          Jack's workers loved working for Jack. Jack is a hard man to work with....but he was very giving. He gives all the time. He bought alot of things well over 30000 dollars to people he helped to build for homes and more....he paid five thousand dollars for someone to wrap like 30 presents....he was very giving....[/list]
          Jomimee wrote: 12/24/2009 9:57:42 PM
            Replying to Jomimee:
            Replying to happyguy1:
              "Believe me, Jack is not resting in peace. Jack and these programs around here need to be exposed for what they are. I'm very surprised to find the city council has one of them now. Jack was a self-professed sociopath, duct taped kids to their beds,"[/list]
              Jack's workers loved working for Jack. Jack is a hard man to work with....but he was very giving. He gives all the time. He bought alot of things well over 30000 dollars to people he helped to build for homes and more....he paid five thousand dollars for someone to wrap like 30 presents....he was very giving....[/list][/list]
              Jomimee wrote: 12/24/2009 9:59:51 PM
                Replying to Satanyca:
                "You have no right to accuse any of the staff at Red Rock for being "perverts". I understand that Jack fired many employees for "stupid reasons". You've never worked at Red Rock, so you can not begin to imagine the love that the staff there, has for the kids that are habilitated in that facility. You slander with no evidence, you ridicual with no firm grounds. Unless you know the "truth" about anything, you can not accuse. This is not to slander Jack. I never knew the man. I've heard both good/bad about him. Let him rest in peace without slamming his competition."[/list]
                Chicky...I worked there for a year....it was BAD don't tell me nothing, I do have evidence...when I was doing twenty three hours over for their twelve hour shifts, I would still go to the dang cpr classes and such and the owner who WAS a pervert kept saying how HOT i was....[/list]

Copyright ©2009 The Spectrum