Author Topic: Connie Munson - Bethesda Home for Girls  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Connie Munson - Bethesda Home for Girls
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »

My name is <name removed>, and I was in Bethesda Home for Girls in Hattiesburg, Ms. when Connie Munson was killed. One night long after dark I believe it was in Sept. Or Oct. of 1979...Connie decided she would try to run from the home. The driveway was a red dirt road, (which is 3 miles long) from Old River Rd. in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. It was dark, and Raining, and she took off like a jet, and never stopped running. She made it all the way to Highway 49 South, and she was being chased by Pami Gerhardt. Pami was a Sister in Law to the Director's Daughter (Debbie Wills)who was married to Sam Gerhardt Pami Had nowhere to live and so they put her in the girls home. (She was more or less a worker who was still a teenager in High School). Anyway Pami, and Becky Ewalt(another Girl in the home who was being groomed to be a worker) were chasing Connie Munson. When they made it to the Main Highway, Pami yelled out to Connie to Stop. Connie continued running, and Pami screamed out, "Jesus, Help Me", and lunged for Connie...knocking her down, and right into the path of the oncoming traffic which was a huge Dump truck, or Tractor trailer rig...I can't remember for sure. I just remember Connie was thrown quite a distance, and she was killed instantly.

We held a funeral service for her at Central Baptist Church, and her parents, and family were there. The service was conducted by Rev. C.R. Williams (who is now deceased).

Connie's family took her back home to Bury her. I believe that was somewhere in Michigan.

If you want to contact me...my email is (left out due to spam)

Sincerely, <name removed>
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:37:17 PM by Oscar »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Connie Munson - Bethesda Home for Girls
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"

My name is B.J. Miller, and I was in Bethesda Home for Girls in Hattiesburg, Ms. when Connie Munson was killed. One night long after dark I believe it was in Sept. Or Oct. of 1979...Connie decided she would try to run from the home. The driveway was a red dirt road, (which is 3 miles long) from Old River Rd. in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. It was dark, and Raining, and she took off like a jet, and never stopped running. She made it all the way to Highway 49 South, and she was being chased by Pami Gerhardt. Pami was a Sister in Law to the Director's Daughter (Debbie Wills)who was married to Sam Gerhardt Pami Had nowhere to live and so they put her in the girls home. (She was more or less a worker who was still a teenager in High School). Anyway Pami, and Becky Ewalt(another Girl in the home who was being groomed to be a worker) were chasing Connie Munson. When they made it to the Main Highway, Pami yelled out to Connie to Stop. Connie continued running, and Pami screamed out, "Jesus, Help Me", and lunged for Connie...knocking her down, and right into the path of the oncoming traffic which was a huge Dump truck, or Tractor trailer rig...I can't remember for sure. I just remember Connie was thrown quite a distance, and she was killed instantly.

We held a funeral service for her at Central Baptist Church, and her parents, and family were there. The service was conducted by Rev. C.R. Williams (who is now deceased).

Connie's family took her back home to Bury her. I believe that was somewhere in Michigan.

If you want to contact me...my email is (left out due to spam)

Sincerely, B.J. Miller
That was heartbreaking to read. "Jesus, Help Me!" ...and that was the end. I simply don't have the words, or perhaps the ability, to say with the appropriate and deserved grace ... just how sad that makes me feel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Aeleice

• View Profile
Re: Connie Munson - Bethesda Home for Girls
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
B. J.,

I am sorry but your account of what happened to Connie is wrong, way wrong.  Connie, Ginger, Lisa, Andi, Missy and I think one other girl all ran together.  Ginger had gotten on Pool duty with me and had cut the wires to the alarms on the windows (which was not working to start with).  They had gotten into the storage room where all of the old clothes that the girls came in were kept and got pants and other clothes to have for the run.  In the middle of the night all six girls went out the window and left.  They found a place to stay at some lady or girl's house for the rest of the night and I think part of the day.  Connie and one other girl I think was walking to a store or some place and yes Connie was hit by a truck.  It was not an eighteen wheeler as if it was there would not have been enough left of her for the open casket service they had for her.  Where all the girls and boys from both homes had to attend.  It was not as Dramatic or picturesque as you have described.  This is one event I remember clearly, because to this day I have never forgotten it.  If I had not let Ginger gotten on the pool duty the wire never would have been cut.  Only by the Grace of God and my cowardness I was not the 7th girl in that group.  I also remember Ginger coming to my room to wake me up to go and I remember telling her no and falling back asleep, I remember waking up feeling how cold it was in the rooms because they had left the window open.  I also remeber going to tell Anna they had ran away.  I also remember telling Mr. and Mrs. Will abpout it and what part I had in it.  When they came and told us Connie had been killed there was in my mind not a severe enough punishment for what I had done.  

So forgive my anger right now and my bitterness, but next time make sure you have your facts straight and be honest.  You never know who will read what is posted.  You may have the gift of Drama and writing but too bad it is fictional except for the name of Connie.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »