Author Topic: Fornits Vocabulary Bee  (Read 25212 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »
Sponging off the group.

I always got a great visiual of this one.   It meant you werent contributing anything, or shining out.  it also went for misbehaving, which I never could understand...because the misbehavers werent sponging anything off of anything.  They werent benefitting from sitting around in group all day.  Neither were the working people either, but thats beside the point.

Question on awareness....

When being aware of newcomers, were you guys all required to literally have your eyes on them at all times?  Like actually in full view every single second?  We did.  There was not even any peripheral vision awareness allowed.  You had to have your eyes on them no matter what, even if there were six of them.  I created all sorts of neat contortionist tricks in order to do this.  

I was just curious if it was different in the different programs.  I know that when the LA people came to Dallas, they had a way more lax definition of being aware....and we all spent weeks agonizing over how to treat this breaking of the comandments!  You could get put on a refresher for turning your back on a newcomer for any reason.  The first time I saw a 5th phaser from LA do it, I almost shit myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »
"PAT"...what the hell is that??  When someone would stand up in group and say something that didn't satisfy either staff or the group...if they said what others considered to be generic it was called "being pat".  I never got that.

Shining...that's another one.  Newcomers had to "shine" before they could go home.  With all the sweat and greasy teenage faces, we were ALL shining ALL the time. :scared: Oh NO :roll:

and all those stupid sign language signals when someone was talking....i.e wrap it up (swirl your index finger in the air), can't hear you (waving your arm back and forth), apply it to yourself (pointing your finger at your head with great emphasis), wake up (fourth phasers to front row...stare at the offender and flick all fingers outward, as in open your eyes), pay attention (looking at the offender and pointing to the person speaking).

Necessity never made a good bargain
--Benjamin Franklin Apr. 1734

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Hell on Wheels

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »
wow, all these schools must have went to cult-speak 101. CEDU was a lot the same, we called them CEDUisms. I loved the new kids first raps, the confused look on their face was priceless, as I'm sure my face was when I was a new kid

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2004, 01:47:00 AM »
What about "running your thinking"  Running your fear"  etc.  

I always hated the "what are you doing to your little girl?".  They meant the little girl inside me.  Well, the little girl was miserable and just wanted to grow up.  Besides, after my first rap, that little girl innocence was gone, gone, gone.

Holy crap, that first rap!! I felt like I was hit by a grenade and I didn't even participate. I mean DEEP SHOCK!!!  THe abuse, the drama, the tales of screwing animals and covering yourself w/shit. It's not like I fell off the turnip truck.. I was an experimental teen--just not w/animals and feces. I'm not judging I'm just saying it was shock city. All the puking and snotty noses and bullying into submission. WHOA!
hanlea

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 08:05:00 AM »
Sorry to threadjack here...

...but would it be possible to do some sort of a writeup about how the raps and other forms of pysch abuse... the "break them down" part of these places work?

When I try to explain waht the raps are and how this works by degrading/destroying the people stuck inside, I often have trouble doing so. It might help me explain this to the average person, and to my local authorities (I know they'll ask a ton of questions) and I could also give it to askquestions.org.

And by the way...  :eek: jesus christ this shit just gets worse the more I read about it.

Anyway, I'm off to court, later everyone. (I just LOVE the system!)[ This Message was edited by: Nihilanthic on 2004-06-21 05:07 ]
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Sid Vicious

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »
On 2004-04-07 08:44:00, Antigen wrote:

"Yup, we used "rationalize" the same way. Also, it was a cardinal rule that we not "intellectualize" anything. For all intents and purposes (NOT "intensive purposes"!), thinking was against the rules.

Step 1. We came to understand that the government is powerless over people's private use of drugs and that the War on Drugs was making the government's life unmanageable.

--Scott Tillinghast

"

Or you could say "the war on drugs and terrorism is giving the government the perfect excuse to ignore everyone's rights and become the fourth order (Hitler being the third)"
ou\'re so pretty you\'re vacunt

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 02:00:00 AM »
I survived AARC (Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre), the (as far as I know) farthest down the chain of the ubiquitous Straight, Kids, Seed line.

Pretty much every term I saw posted was used in AARC. Especially "pushing feelings", "rationalizing" , "in my past".

Also, I had exactly the same experience my first night w/ respect to the term "relate". I said to another "client": I empathize with .... Not only should I have said "I relate", but I was also "intellectualizing". Never before in my life as the daughter of an English prof had I been chastized for having used a three-syllable word. I never could force myself to speak AARCish, although I tried.

Also, before AARC, I never used swear-words to express myself. I found that I was "intellectualizing" if I didn't though.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Goodtobefree

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 05:34:00 AM »
Let's see what I can rememember.  Rules were always referred to as agreements.  The 3 main ones were the drug sex and violence agreements.  To be "out of agreement" meant you had broken an agreement and had not yet confessed or been caught.
Punishments for infractions were called consequences.  If these punishments involved exercise they were called P.T. or physical training.
The wilderness/soulcrushing portion of the program was called Base Camp, or Passages.  You progressed through a complex system of ranks named after animals by completing a variety of tasks such as memorizing the values the animal symbolized, and what this meant in the program, reading short stories and discussing their meaning with counselors, completing camping tasks like making a fire with 2 sticks and cooking meals, writing assignments on why you were at ASR and how you intended to stop being a nasty little fucker, etc.  Depending on your rank you could have certain spices in your food, or sugar on your oatmeal.
The main therapy terms tossed around were "patterns", kinda self explanatory, your typical responses to given situations.  To be "going into your patterns" meant to be acting in a way believed to be characteristic of your unhealthy lifestyle and/or your counterproductive attitude.
"Image" meant the stereotypical image of the social group people believed you were a part of pre-ASR.  Hippie, punk, prep, jock, thug, etc. Unfortunately counselors were sometimes woefully uneducated and judgmental about youth cultures.  If a kid listened to Marylin Manson, he'd spend the next 14 months being hassled for being in denial about being a satanist.  It was also used as an adjective.  "You're being imagey."
To speak about your past in a manner that didn't conform to ASR ideals was called "Warstorying, or telling war stories".
"Bans" a ban on communication.  You're not allowed to talk to...  It could be 1 person, half the school, etc.  depending on circumstances.  "Stop talking to each other, you're on bans."
Restrictions came in 3 flavors, Reflections, Challenges, and Self-Studies.  Reflections were usually just a series of writing assignments and talks with a counselor and/or students who'd committed the same infraction.  Challenges had all of the above, plus a few more.  No recreational activity.  Bans with all other restricted students at a bare minimum.  Work detail, such as shoveling snow or unpleasant cleaning duties such as the kitchen in summer.  Self-Studies had all of the above plus bans with either all or almost all students.  A self study meant you were an infraction away from being recommended for a more intensive facility.
On campus there were a lot more vocabulary terms.  Once you got to campus you were assigned a "Peer Group".  Between 10 and 18 kids and 2 counselors.  Enrollment was rotational, so peer groups were formed as kids got to campus.  Peer groups went through the psychological curriculum together, though you might not necessarily have any academic classes with peer group members, since ages ranged from 14 to 19.
The curriculum involved four LGAT seminars called "lifesteps", with "educational seminars" on topics such as STD's, Drugs, Learning Disabilities, and Goal Setting.  Depending on your progress you were either in upper or lower school.  The dividing line was whether you'd been through the 2nd lifestep.  Upper school kids were expected to accept program doctrine unquestioningly, and enforce it on the lower school kids.
Some of the therapy terms were "games", i.e. manipulative techniques we employ on others.  If you try to get what you want through intimidation that's the "intimidation game".  If you did anything out of the ordinary, you were probably playing the "attention game".
"Intellectualizing" meant applying logic and reason to something.  Pointing out inconsistencies in rules or practices meant you were "intellectualizing"
"Rationalizing" or "Justifying" meant trying to explain yourself or your belief system.
"Truth lists" were written confessions of any and all infractions you hadn't confessed to or been caught for, as well as any you knew about.  They were the first thing you did on every restriction, before every lifestep, and anytime a counselor thought you were lying.
That's about all I remember at the moment.
cademy at Swift River 2001-2002, Peer Group 17
Freedom is the most precious thing we have.  Those who would take it from their fellow man deserve not mercy or compassion, only pain and suffering.

Offline flygirl

• View Profile
Fornits Vocabulary Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: flygirl on 2006-04-26 06:26 ]