Author Topic: ASTART and CAFETY Capitol Hill Briefing - Feb 2009  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ASTART and CAFETY Capitol Hill Briefing - Feb 2009
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
Community Alliance for the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY) : All of CAFETY videos, in chronological order, for the Feb 2009 Capitol Hill Press Briefing may now be found at CAFETY's Official You Tube page:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 131DBB175A
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
Re: ASTART and CAFETY Capitol Hill Briefing - Feb 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:08:56 AM »
Also, for additional videos please visit:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CAFETYonline
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »
:spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :spam:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:  :bs:

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
No prob!

I <3 :spam: ... w/hash browns! mmmm....
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:15:30 AM »
in military school it was hash browns and "shit on a shingle" for breakfast. Why you plug that bullshit proceeding and legislation really does irk me pretty bad, but whatever... suit yourself.  :blabla:  :blabla:  :blabla:  BTW, how would your legislation affect the new and improved and 'renamed' Carolina Springs Academy???

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »
Hey there, goat, pull in yer horns there for a moment. It's a service. Free speech is what it's all about. Watch the damned video and then comment about it. Don't discourage people saying what they've got to say.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:13:05 PM »
Legislation is a good idea, but not enough... as noted at links below:

http://www.youtube.com/cafetyonline#p/c ... 8z_AqTTC30

http://www.youtube.com/cafetyonline#p/c ... Wlyu2HxOIw

That said, I think legislation would help prevent program operators from opening up a new biz in a different name after being shut down for abuse because there would be a central place monitoring such places and hopefully a website will be used to that end that will publicly expose such programs.  The Senate version of the bill has not been finalized and the House version still would need to be reconciled with the Senate version, but I'm optimistic that some positive results will come of it... though of course its not the end all be all.  How could it be? Cultural change can't be legislated (see racism/discrimination)... and, as I see it, we have to help do that - as both survivors and those who are aware of damage inflicted upon those we care for.  We have power and agency the gov't can't tap into from a top heavy approach... :blabla: so on and so forth.  Saying here nuthin' that hasn't been said before and where folks, successfully working toward systemic change, haven't paved the way long before I was born.  ::deadhorse::

(p.s. Antigen - thanks for the post. Aslo, I LOVE these emoticons!)

peace.
Margaret Mead

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
I am not a big fan of regulation because I feel it is mainly ineffective and can bring a false sense of legitimacy to those programs or businesses which are poorly run and/or abusive.  This artificial legitimacy filters its way into all parts of society to the point where it aides these ineffective businesses to grow and prosper beyond the point they would have if they were never regulated to begin with.  For example if a program is regulated and overseen by a government agency then many banking institutes may feel secure and more willing in setting up loan programs to assist those who could not normally afford to send their child to a program.  This loan program would feed the growth of programs under the umbrella of regulation since they would be guaranteed by the government.  Families would feel they wouldnt have to investigate the programs safety because the government already has oversight.

On the other hand strict regulation may help to prohibit programs that were closed down from reopening and keep the bad apples from getting back into the system.

But I think history tells all of us that government isn’t going to solve any of our problems.  The consumer generally determines how successful a business is by rating the quality of its output and either the business will survive or it will not.

As long as there is a need for programs they will exist… the same as drugs… the government cant stop or control it.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
Or, in fewer words, the regulators are necessarily politicians and bureaucrats. They're for sale. Sometimes reeeeeeeal cheap! All good intentions aside, government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Kinda moot at this point anyway. Things are getting so bad even sterling government insurance and other benefits are getting cut. Pretty soon we'll be as overly regulated and wild west corrupt as Stalinist Russia. That's why we should all take Moe's frequently offered advice and s p r e a d   o u t .
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Rusty Goat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:09 AM »
:timeout:  Hey Antigen, my horns don't grow backwards as I am a man of principle. Whatever, if you welcome CAFETY Compromise then go right ahead. That 07 hearing was scripted. The truth was STIFLED!!! But, Kat got her mug on TV, so it's all good, right? Just like Calvina gets her mug on TV.  Kat has no hammer with which to beat a dead horse and as long as CAFETY plugs this bill, well, the horse aint nowhere dead.  :(  Grow some balls and renounce support!! Kill it, spend the $$$ on awareness of the issues.

American kids are being held in a US based WWASP program that's protected by the CURRENT laws of the land, you know, so this bill sucks... no two ways about it.

HR911= The Great Compromise Act of 2010...  ::poke::

I too, love these emoticons. Who doesn't?  :roflmao:

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 01:10:45 AM »
Quote from: "katfish"
Legislation is a good idea, but not enough... as noted at links below:

http://www.youtube.com/cafetyonline#p/c ... 8z_AqTTC30

http://www.youtube.com/cafetyonline#p/c ... Wlyu2HxOIw

That said, I think legislation would help prevent program operators from opening up a new biz in a different name after being shut down for abuse because there would be a central place monitoring such places and hopefully a website will be used to that end that will publicly expose such programs.  The Senate version of the bill has not been finalized and the House version still would need to be reconciled with the Senate version, but I'm optimistic that some positive results will come of it... though of course its not the end all be all.  How could it be? Cultural change can't be legislated (see racism/discrimination)... and, as I see it, we have to help do that - as both survivors and those who are aware of damage inflicted upon those we care for.  We have power and agency the gov't can't tap into from a top heavy approach... :blabla: so on and so forth.  Saying here nuthin' that hasn't been said before and where folks, successfully working toward systemic change, haven't paved the way long before I was born.  ::deadhorse::

(p.s. Antigen - thanks for the post. Aslo, I LOVE these emoticons!)

peace.

Actually, stopping someone from reopening under a new name wouldn't be stopped at all. Eluding the scrutiny of the authorities is an American past time. Americans, god bless our sneaky little hearts, only need to look to our own government for tips in eluding public oversight. That's not being paranoid either, but seriously take a look at the shell companies sold over the internet from Delaware. Pushing a company out of business in one state, does not mean the seed money can't be put up by the previous owners and run under "new management".

There are sooooo many ways around this legislation it makes my face hurt thinking about it.

What works is something like the Sexual Predator websites. However, those jazbos have actually been convicted of something, which is the only reason those websites are remotely possible.

Work towards getting some of the real scum thrown in Jail. Prison rape of program owners like Ken Huey and such is the only real culture change I'm interested in.

Offline katfish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 01:31:59 AM »
I think it'll certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out, no doubt.  I have a bit more faith in the state - I'm all for the social-welfare state, personally... there are many examples where gov't has successfully run things and instances where it has seriously botched things...  In anycase, think this debate is well worn in other threads and that the merits of state intervention are really difficult to assess, particularly among vastly diverging ideologies and when primarily speculating in theory with little basis in fact... And I think facts can be used  to support all sides... so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Rusty, I think its great that you have such strong opinions, I'm certain you can find a way to put it to good use.
LOL re: mug on T.V. - snootiness aside... really?   Anyway, to be sure, You Tubes democratic function is appealing to me (and clearly most of the world).  And I'm all for democracy.
LOL x100 re: poking stick in the eye.  That really is a good one, one of the best!!
Margaret Mead

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »
Can you name one good example of where the state effectively regulated a specific industry?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
Ok so attempts at regulation seem to amount to:  :wall: :blabla:  ::deadhorse::

It seems stronger action is required to do anything more than make things look good on the surface.

There's a sucker born every minute.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Work towards getting some of the real scum thrown in Jail. Prison rape of program owners like Ken Huey and such is the only real culture change I'm interested in.
:tup: