Author Topic: Wellspring blames Bankruptcy on Counselor/ Riot  (Read 50511 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Wellspring blames Bankruptcy on Counselor/ Riot
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »
He did.  But the next day he was back at work in his office in Raleigh where he STILL has a counseling license.
New date for sentencing is on the DOJ website, Oct 25.
Will somebody let us know if he really goes to prison this time?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Former Wellspring Academy head given 30 months in prison
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2007, 05:15:19 PM »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
::cheers::  Let's post it before it slips into the archives

Former Wellspring Academy head given 30 months in prison
By Mike Gangloff

Related
School's founder guilty of fraud
Robert Serge Gluhareff, who headed the financially troubled Wellspring Academy in Halifax County, will spend 30 months in prison for a variety of fraud charges.

Gluhareff, who in April pleaded guilty to two federal charges linked to bank fraud, one to mail fraud and one to tax fraud, led a high-priced school for troubled boys that touted the Christian framework of its program. Prosecutors said he propped up the school's shaky finances by depositing bad checks or tuition checks that he knew parents could not yet cover. He also encouraged parents to label advance tuition payments as scholarship donations and to claim tax deductions for them, prosecutors said.

When the school closed suddenly in 2003, parents who paid in advance were out thousands of dollars.

Today, U.S. District Judge Samuel Wilson sentenced Gluhareff to 30 months in prison on each of the four charges, to be served concurrently. Gluhareff also was ordered to pay more than $500,000 restitution, although both defense and prosecution agreed that it’s unlikely he’ll be able to repay that much.

School's founder guilty of fraud
The former head of Wellspring Academy in Sutherlin pleaded guilty to four counts of fraud in the school's closing.
Mike Gangloff

Legal fallout from the collapse three years ago of a pricey Christian school for troubled youth in Halifax County continued Monday with guilty pleas in U.S. District Court.

Robert Serge Gluhareff, the 62-year-old founder and former head of Wellspring Academy in Sutherlin, pleaded guilty to four counts of fraud -- two related to bank fraud, and one each to tax and mail fraud. Those charges, and 49 more dismissed under a plea agreement, stemmed from what prosecutors described as the South Boston resident's attempts to stave off his school's financial collapse and preserve his family's livelihood.

The school's abrupt closing in 2003 left parents who had paid tuition in advance out thousands of dollars.

Contacted by telephone after the court hearing, Ted Mitchell of Youngsville, N.C., said he doubted he'd get back the more than $30,000 he'd borrowed to pay for his son to attend Wellspring.

"He has ruined my life, my wife's life, my son's life," Mitchell said of Gluhareff.

The plea agreement set a sentencing range of 27 to 33 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release. Details of restitution are to be set at sentencing, which is scheduled for July 16.

Wellspring was set up in the late 1980s as a Christian residential program for children with behavioral and academic problems. By 1997, it had become a boys-only facility, and in its final years, about 60 to 100 boys attended at any time. Annual tuition ranged from $43,000 to $49,000.

Gluhareff's wife, two sons and their wife and girlfriend were on Wellspring's payroll during its last years.

Prosecutors said that between 1999 and 2003 Gluhareff temporarily inflated the balances of Wellspring's bank account by depositing bad checks written on his personal accounts and by depositing parents' tuition checks when he knew they had not yet acquired loans to cover them.

Gluhareff or his staff, at his direction, also told parents they could claim advance tuition payments as tax deductions by calling them scholarship donations, and gave them misleading letters to help claim the improper deductions, prosecutors said.

Jay Darden, a U.S. Department of Justice trial attorney who presented the government's evidence, said the bogus deductions cost the government $405,051 in taxes. After the court session, U.S. attorney's office spokeswoman Heidi Coy said she did not know how the improper deductions were being handled.

In newspaper accounts at the time of the school's shutdown, Gluhareff blamed procedural errors and a disgruntled employee for problems.

June Speaker, the parent of another Wellspring student, said Monday after Gluhareff's plea that she initially chose the school because it billed itself as a Christian program. Later, though, she wanted to bring her son back to their home near Chicago because of what she described as harsh discipline and because she wasn't allowed to talk to her son for more than two months.

When she got a call on Easter weekend 2003 that the school was closing and she needed to retrieve her son, it was the answer to her prayers, Speaker said.

Staff researcher Belinda Harris contributed to this report.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gluhareff in Jail!Hallebejulia!
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Well it's about time! Justice rolls slow, but at least it rolled him into jail. Where is he serving it at? Some visitations might be in order.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »
He hasn't gone to prison yet.  
You can check www.bop.gov and look under inmate locator once he's in there and his info hits the system.  It'll probably be about 6-9 weeks.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »
ATTENTION PRISONERS: OPEN SEASON ON THIS MAN'S ASS.

Literally.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2007, 10:04:43 PM »
Bob Gluhareff Counseling
6531 Creedmoor Rd
Raleigh, NC 27613
Phone: (919) 848-3488

call bob and tell him what a piece of shit he is :)

such a nice message he has...

too bad hes going to get his ass reamed out in jail.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »
Damn, and I used to live in Raleigh.

:rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2007, 02:19:19 AM »
What is it with North Carolina?

CAPTCHA: whiteman countries

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
bob
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2007, 12:23:34 AM »
My son went to wellspring. I think Bob is a dick. He used to smoke that stinking cigar of his and act all high and mighty. I knew he was full of shit.

I bet he starts a counseling service in prison and convinces inmates that they really are screwed up and want to suck him off.

South= inbreeding

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: bob
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
Dad...is that you???

Quote from: ""dad""
My son went to wellspring. I think Bob is a dick. He used to smoke that stinking cigar of his and act all high and mighty. I knew he was full of shit.

I bet he starts a counseling service in prison and convinces inmates that they really are screwed up and want to suck him off.

South= inbreeding

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bob's Dead
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »
Bob killed himself this weekend.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »
OWNED

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2008, 03:29:14 PM »
did this bob person really kill himself?

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2008, 03:53:14 PM »
Google search didn't come up with any reports of his death...
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca