Author Topic: I LOVE FLORIDA SAFE PLACE TO LIVE  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I LOVE FLORIDA SAFE PLACE TO LIVE
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »
4 relatives shot dead at Fla. Thanksgiving party
Email this Story

Nov 27, 8:11 AM (ET)

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) - Four people including a child in bed were shot to death during a family Thanksgiving gathering and a manhunt was under way across South Florida early Friday for a male relative suspected in the slayings.
Police said that 17 relatives were in the house when the shootings were reported around 10 p.m. Thursday in Jupiter, a small coastal town about 90 miles north of Miami.
Jupiter Police Sgt. Scott Pascarella said they were looking for Paul Michael Merhige, 35, of Miami. Merhige is a cousin of the 6-year-old victim, McKayla Sitton, police said.
The others killed were all women. They were named as Raymonde Joseph, 76, Carla Merhige and Lisa Merhige. The two women were 33-year-old twin sisters, and sisters of Paul Merhige.
Authorities said a fifth victim, Patrick McKnight, was being treated at a hospital. His condition was not available.
Pascarella said police received a 911 call from a neighbor shortly after 10 p.m. Police then received a second 911 call from someone within the home. Pascarella says the shootings took place inside the house.
"What led to this incident, we're not quite sure," said Pascarella. "It did not appear there was any altercation prior to this shooting."
Police said the home was owned by Jim Sitton, a photojournalist for WPTV-TV and father of the little girl killed. Sitton told WPTV his daughter was in bed when she was shot. He was at the party at the time of the shooting but was not wounded.
Sitton told local media that his daughter was supposed to perform Friday in a holiday production of the Nutcracker.
"God packed a lot of sweetness into that little body," Sitton said. "She's just our life. I don't know how we are ever going to recover."
The relationship between Sitton and Paul Merhige was unclear, police said.
Police across South Florida and the U.S. Marshals Service were searching for Merhige. Pascarella said Merhige is believed to be driving a blue 2007 4-door Toyota Camry with Florida license plate W42 7JT.
"The word we're trying to get out to the public is that this individual is considered armed and dangerous," said Pascarella.
Phone calls to a number listed for Paul Merhige were not answered.
(This version CORRECTS that all three adult victims were women; corrects one name to 'Raymonde.')
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: I LOVE FLORIDA SAFE PLACE TO LIVE
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:24:02 AM »
Quote from: "peaceful easy feelin'"
4 relatives shot dead at Fla. Thanksgiving party
Email this Story

Nov 27, 8:11 AM (ET)

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) - Four people including a child in bed were shot to death during a family Thanksgiving gathering and a manhunt was under way across South Florida early Friday for a male relative suspected in the slayings.
Police said that 17 relatives were in the house when the shootings were reported around 10 p.m. Thursday in Jupiter, a small coastal town about 90 miles north of Miami.
Jupiter Police Sgt. Scott Pascarella said they were looking for Paul Michael Merhige, 35, of Miami. Merhige is a cousin of the 6-year-old victim, McKayla Sitton, police said.
The others killed were all women. They were named as Raymonde Joseph, 76, Carla Merhige and Lisa Merhige. The two women were 33-year-old twin sisters, and sisters of Paul Merhige.
Authorities said a fifth victim, Patrick McKnight, was being treated at a hospital. His condition was not available.
Pascarella said police received a 911 call from a neighbor shortly after 10 p.m. Police then received a second 911 call from someone within the home. Pascarella says the shootings took place inside the house.
"What led to this incident, we're not quite sure," said Pascarella. "It did not appear there was any altercation prior to this shooting."
Police said the home was owned by Jim Sitton, a photojournalist for WPTV-TV and father of the little girl killed. Sitton told WPTV his daughter was in bed when she was shot. He was at the party at the time of the shooting but was not wounded.
Sitton told local media that his daughter was supposed to perform Friday in a holiday production of the Nutcracker.
"God packed a lot of sweetness into that little body," Sitton said. "She's just our life. I don't know how we are ever going to recover."
The relationship between Sitton and Paul Merhige was unclear, police said.
Police across South Florida and the U.S. Marshals Service were searching for Merhige. Pascarella said Merhige is believed to be driving a blue 2007 4-door Toyota Camry with Florida license plate W42 7JT.
"The word we're trying to get out to the public is that this individual is considered armed and dangerous," said Pascarella.
Phone calls to a number listed for Paul Merhige were not answered.
(This version CORRECTS that all three adult victims were women; corrects one name to 'Raymonde.')
                           Florida is as safe as the next place, humans are just way out of control is all, could be any where.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:33:44 AM »
Youth murder shocks Japan
By Suvendrini Kakuchi

TOKYO - Shock and soul-searching gripped Japan as police began investigations into the case of a 12-year-old boy who admitted last week that he had murdered a kindergarten student on July 1.

The middle-school boy, who was spotted by a security camera, told the police last Thursday that he took Shun Tanemoto, the four-year-old victim, to play a prank on him by stripping him naked. Police quoted the boy as saying. "I want to say sorry to Shun's father and mother."

Police suspect the student murdered the boy because he was afraid of attracting attention after Shun resisted being stripped naked.

Shun went missing after he told his parents he was going to play at a video-game center in a shopping complex in Nagasaki, 980 kilometers south of Tokyo. The next day, police discovered his naked and bloody body after, they say, he was pushed off the roof of a nearby parking garage.

The murder is the latest in several horrifying crimes committed by youth recently in Japan and revives questions that many in this country find themselves asking after hearing of such news.

"Whatever has happened to the peaceful and harmonious Japan we knew?" asked a 53-year-old businessman interviewed on television.

Many consider this case particularly disturbing because the suspect is very young and was a "quiet, good" child.

The principal of his school said he never missed a day of class and had excellent grades. Neighbors interviewed by the media described the student's three-member family as close.

The case also brings back memories of a 1997 crime in Kobe, where a 14-year-old boy was convicted for two murders and a string of attacks on young children in the city.

The boy beheaded his 11-year-old victim and left the head on the wall of his school. He did not give a motive, but sent taunting messages to his victim's parents.

The crime was so compelling that Japan revised its 1949 juvenile code to allow children as young as 14, who have committed serious delinquency, to be held criminally responsible for their acts.

The boy who killed the four-year-old child this month, however, will be held under the Child Welfare Law, and was sent to the family court.

Predictably, this latest high-profile crime by a young person has stoked calls for tougher ways of dealing with such violence.

Shun's parents released a statement in which they said "their hearts are boiling with rage" and said the student should get no less than capital punishment. "We would like to say this to the perpetrator: Are you really repentant? We sincerely hope that you will pay for your deeds for the rest of your life," said the statement read out by a police official.

But lawyers working on children's rights say a kneejerk reaction at this point helps no one - including the youth.

"I am very worried that the intense public reaction will encourage moves to further lower the age of young perpetrators to be sent to prison, instead of those that focus in reforming people," said lawyer Hiromi Sugiura, who works with victims of serious and violent crime.

Sending more young people to prison will not stop crime, she explained. "What is needed is a long-term view and recognition of social problems that are also responsible for the problems," Sugiura added.

Under the current law, family courts are in principle required to send all juvenile murder suspects aged 16 and over to public prosecutors.

For crimes such as murder and rape, prosecutors are allowed to participate in family court proceedings, including having access to court records, attending hearings and questioning suspects during the proceedings.

In June last year, three teenagers were sentenced to life in prison under the revised law. They were convicted for stealing 5,000 yen (US$42) and beating to death a young passer-by.

Akira Ishii, professor of criminal psychiatry at Aoyama Gaukin University, says that amid the rising rates in juvenile crime, toughening existing laws would hurt Japanese children badly.

"The breakdown of community and family traditions in modern Japan has seen [a rise in] crime without clear motives," he said. "More money should be spent on providing mental support for our youth and analyzing social conditions to understand them better."

In early July, two boys aged 14 and 16 were arrested in Okinawa prefecture on suspicion of killing a schoolmate and abandoning his body. They said the victim stole a purse and had to be punished.

In December, prosecutors indicted two boys, 15 and 16, in Fukushima prefecture, western Japan, for rape and robbery charges. The boys withdrew money from their 34-year-old victim's bank, and raped and held her captive for one night.

The number of arrests of youths aged 19 and under during the first six months of 2002 totaled 65,573, up 6.8 percent from the same period the previous year. Serious crimes, however, made up less than 0.6 percent of these, according to police figures.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »
HENDERSON, Nev. – A judge in Nevada has ruled that the case of a Las Vegas-area teen accused of smothering her newborn son can go to trial.

Justice Court Chief Judge Rodney Burr ruled Tuesday there was enough evidence against 19-year-old Carmela Camero for a trial to proceed on the murder charge.

The Henderson teen told police that she gave birth in a bathtub in her home on Aug. 23. She said the baby started coughing later that day and she became worried her mother would find out about the infant.

Camero is accused of pressing the baby's face against her breast and holding him there until he stopped breathing.

Police say Camero also left the body of a stillborn daughter in a Las Vegas trash bin in 2006.

Camero was 16 at the time, and was not charged.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »
How does that last story ralate to Florida?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"

Probably has sumthing to do with the state of Nevada. The place where one of the sisters of the original poser lives.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »
Quote from: "guest22"
Quote from: "Guest"

Probably has sumthing to do with the state of Nevada. The place where one of the sisters of the original poser lives.
Like I said Florida is not the only place shit happens. In fact I lived here all my life , so I think after 50 years I can say it is safe as any where. Blame humans for crimes not places.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 04:03:52 PM »
No one provided any links to any of the stories. They could all be made up for all anyone knows.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:21:22 PM »
ah.

a link makes it a legitimate post.

ahhh!

ahhhh!!!

AHHH!!!

kinda like fox news.

if bill o the clown says it - it must be true.

because i dun herd it on the ray dee oh!

stupid fukkk.

i'll give you an F for effort though.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
Quote from: "stack jones"
ah.

a link makes it a legitimate post.

ahhh!

ahhhh!!!

AHHH!!!

kinda like fox news.

if bill o the clown says it - it must be true.

because i dun herd it on the ray dee oh!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, too funny you are. :roflmao:

stupid fukkk.

i'll give you an F for effort though.