Author Topic: tampa bay academy  (Read 16754 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: tampa bay academy
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »
And then what? I can't believe this place is still open.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
Tampa Bay Academy is a reputable program.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Tampa Bay Academy Loses Staff Following Removal of Students
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 07:23:03 PM »
Getting close to D-day... The job losses are announced in the media (as opposed to being simply discussed in the previous Comments sections):

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Tampa Bay Academy Loses Staff Following Removal of Students
By ADAM EMERSON  | The Tampa Tribune
Published: January 3, 2009

Riverview - A troubled youth mental health center in Riverview has laid off more than a third of its staff now that the state has removed many of the children in its care.

The Tampa Bay Academy let go 125 workers in its residential treatment center this week, even as it prepared a final effort to stop a state agency from seizing its license to provide round-the-clock mental health care to children.

Two weeks ago, Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration reported that conditions at the for-profit academy's treatment center were "substandard." Inspectors found evidence that residents sexually preyed on workers and on each other -- all made easier by the failures of a poorly trained and equipped staff.

Employees got pink slips after most of the 54 children and teenagers previously enrolled at the treatment center were placed in other group homes or mental health centers, said Rich Warden, the academy's executive director. The last two children will be moved next week.

Most of the laid-off workers included therapists, counselors and support staff needed to provide 24-hour care to children with severe mental health needs. About 200 employees remain in the academy's group homes and charter school, which aren't affected by the Health Care Administration's order.

But the academy kept 15 staff members from the treatment center to help rebuild what its leaders hope will be an effort the state will accept. Warden said the academy and its parent company, Youth and Family Centered Services in Austin, Texas, will submit an improvement plan to the Health Care Administration next week.

The state, however, still plans to suspend the academy's license officially on Friday, said Fernando Senra, a spokesman for the Health Care Administration.

The troubles at the academy aren't new. Inspectors have found deficiencies at the academy during the past year, unearthing evidence that an inadequate staff with untrained workers repeatedly restrained children improperly and isolated them unnecessarily for days.

And the Department of Children & Families found many of the same problems at the academy three years ago, including inadequate staffing, abuse complaints and an alleged sexual assault on a patient.

©2009 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
COMMENTS for "Tampa Bay Academy Loses Staff..."
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:24:44 PM »
Notice how dismissive some former staff, previously so eloquent 'bout "really caring for the kids," are towards the few former residents who weighed in.

Comments for the above article, "Tampa Bay Academy Loses Staff Following Removal of Students" (by Adam Emerson; The Tampa Tribune; January 3, 2009):

Posted by ( thehonestchick ) on 01/03/2009 at 09:40 pm.
    I was in this center in 1993, and I have to say when I was in this center, I felt worse while I was in there, than before I became a patient. I am happy that this hell hole is closing. I pray for the other people that have had harm come their way due to this place. I am not saying all the staff was bad, however I am not saying all of them should have been working there. It is in my opinion when you're working with "troubled children" you don't tell them to kill themselves if thats what the kids are trying to do. As a staff member their responsibility should have been preventing the thought when the thought arises to a child. I feel more training and definatly some more investigation on the staff members are WAY over due! --Thankyou!!!!
Posted by ( northofcuba ) on 01/03/2009 at 10:28 pm.
    What a suprise! A reduction in staff following students being removed. I hope the staff wasn't caught off guard. Funny how when demand drops in a business, layoffs occur. What did they think was going to happen? An increase in staff.
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 01/04/2009 at 12:08 am.
    Let us hope and pray that ACHA and TBA work together to make the place a good place. The state does not have enough places like this.
Posted by ( Letsgo ) on 01/04/2009 at 09:45 am.
    No, we were not surprised...Even after being assured we would have our jobs and would go through more training. I had not been there long and did my best, with the tools I was given. I knew there were problems with the way things were being run but you expect these problems will be addressed and fixed. That is why there are supervisors. Had I known of some of these problems, I may not have applied for the position to begin with. I needed a job and believed I could do some good. There were alot of staff that truly cared about these kids and their futures, including myself. Some were just there to collect a paycheck. As with any business, there is good and bad. These children had some serious issues and some you couldn't get through to, while others wanted someone to listen and not judge them. I had some problems at first but they didn't act up while I was there. Atleast not in the hall I worked. They were teenagers and tried to manipulate to get what they wanted. Some threatened to call and report abuse if they didn't get what they wanted. Some tried to get attention, no matter what the cost. The fact still remains, they were in this facility for a reason. I am not saying all reports of abuse were false. I am sure, however, some were. I personally did not witness anything as bad as the paper reports. I am not saying it is true or not true. I just wanted to let people know that alot of us did our jobs to the best of our ability and we do care about these kids.
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 01/04/2009 at 10:56 am.
    Letsgo, that was well said. The ability for any child at any time to call in an abuse report, regardless of the situation, coupled with TBA's mandatory obligation to allow every child the ability to make an abuse report, makes for a big problem. A problem that I cannot think of a solution for. Add to this that a sheriff's deputy has to come to the facility for every abuse report, and you are taking officers off the street to deal with abuse reports that often times are not abuse at all. The deputies get frustrated, the abuse investigators get frustrated, the staff often times have to be suspended so they are frustrated, and then they have to replace that staff on the unit during the investigation. If ACHA truly wants to help, they should investigate the proper procedures and develop new ways of doing this.
Posted by ( wanna_be_like_darth ) on 01/04/2009 at 12:46 pm.
    Apparrantly some of the staff missed the part during orientation to report ANY abuse they witness
Posted by ( Letsgo ) on 01/04/2009 at 01:09 pm.
    Apparently someone did not read my post thoroughly. I stated " I personally did not witness anything as bad as the paper reports". Had I witnessed what has been alleged, I would have followed proper procedure. Hope that cleared it up for you.
Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 01/04/2009 at 04:25 pm.
    No one commented on the honest chick's statement above. She lived at TBA. No matter haw bad it might have gotten for staff, they got to go home.
Posted by ( Letsgo ) on 01/04/2009 at 06:40 pm.
    I am very sorry that Honest Chick had to endure what she did. To tell you the truth I did not even know TBA existed until a few years back. I passed by numerous times but with the white picket fence and horses, I assumed it was just a boarding school. Funny thing about appearances. I do totally agree with honest chick, that some people do not need to be working with children, especially those who are so troubled. There has got to be a better way to screen potential employees for places like TBA.
Posted by ( TACT1 ) on 01/05/2009 at 04:57 pm.
    (This comment was removed by the site staff.)[/list]
    Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 01/06/2009 at 02:00 pm.
      Well said TACT1, HonestChick was obviously a student there for a reason. They do not put kids there that do not have issues. I guess she was happy to leave, while many students would do anything to stay. If people that read these articles truly understood what many of these kids have been through before they got there, they may have a better understanding of what the staff are dealing with. And "wanna_be_like_darth", everyone there is trained to report abuse. I would hope that if you choose to work in a facility like that, you would have enough common sense that you would not have to be trained to report abuse.
    Posted by ( historyinshort ) on 01/07/2009 at 06:56 pm.
      I was a resident at TBA several years ago when i was in my teens. Luckily i was only there for 2 weeks before my mother realized the terrible conditions and removed me for placement in a RTF that actually helped me with my substance abuse problems and depression. TBA was an absolutely awful place to live even for 14 days. It remains the worst 14 days of my life. The staff was completly oblivious to what was going on. The kids were out of control and the builings themselves were dirty and horrible. Not a good place for "recovery". I was elated to hear that such a travesty of a "treatment" center is finally being shut down. There are FAR better resources in FL for troubled kids TBA was NOT one. I agree that even a short stint in that place could do more damage to a child than when they went in. 3 cheers!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Youth Center Layoffs Hit 125
    « Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »
    The "companion piece" to the just above article, "Tampa Bay Academy Loses Staff...":

Youth Center Layoffs Hit 125
    By ADAM EMERSON [email protected]
    Published: January 4, 2009

Comments for this article:

Posted by ( historyinshort ) on 01/07/2009 at 06:53 pm.
      I was a resident at TBA several years ago when i was in my teens. Luckily i was only there for 2 weeks before my mother realized the terrible conditions and removed me for placement in a RTF that actually helped me with my substance abuse problems and depression. TBA was an absolutely awful place to live even for 14 days. It remains the worst 14 days of my life. The staff was completly oblivious to what was going on. The kids were out of control and the builings themselves were dirty and horrible. Not a good place for "recovery". I was elated to hear that such a travesty of a "treatment" center is finally being shut down. There are FAR better resources in FL for troubled kids TBA was NOT one. I agree that even a short stint in that place could do more damage to a child than when they went in. 3 cheers!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »
    osted by ( historyinshort ) on 01/07/2009 at 06:53 pm.

Anonymous sources are not reliable.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Letter To The Editor: Priorities Upside Down
    « Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 12:12:13 AM »
    An 11th hour letter to the Editor:

Letters To The Editor
    The Tampa Tribune
    Published: January 7, 2009

Priorities Upside Down

During my 12-year tenure as a state legislator in New Hampshire, I had the responsibility at one point to serve as chairman of the House Committee on State Institutions in order to oversee the operation and standards of our Youth Development Center (YDC) along with other state facilities. Governmental overview of state institutions is always needed, although experience shows that it is seldom productive.

From my appraisal of the situation as reported in the Tribune, it would seem that Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration is overlooking some important issues by recommending the removal of the license for Tampa Bay Academy.

Priorities seem to be all upside down. Children in need of 24-hour mental health care are being removed from unhealthy and dangerous surroundings, and yet only one-third of the employees who oversee their protection and care are being removed. In addition, two-thirds of the rest of this same group of negligent and inattentive personnel are sheltered from the agency's order by virtue of their positions in the academy's group homes and charter school and therefore retain their jobs, salaries, health care benefits and pensions.

Why retain 15 staff members to rebuild another facility like the substandard one they now manage? Wouldn't it make more sense to start at the top? To dismiss the current managerial staff and bring in new individuals with better credentials who would, in turn, qualify and dismiss inadequate and disinterested personnel at all levels and replace them with compassionate, caring and well-educated caretakers?

Coincidentally, the cost to remove 15 at the top of the food chain might even help balance the agency budget and allow the hiring of a couple of new therapists.

ELSIE VARTANIAN
    Tampa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 09:00:57 AM »
    Ok,  one desparate letter to the tribune.Please tell how this all played out. I know as far as TBA is concerned, all that is in the past, and I'm sure nothing that happened last year could ever happen again. Right? I just know my friends daughter is in
    30 days of hell, and will be angrier, and even more distrutful than before.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »
    Quote from: "none-ya"
    I know as far as TBA is concerned, all that is in the past, and I'm sure nothing that happened last year could ever happen again. Right?
    Maybe they are on a three-year cycle. It happened in 2005, 2008... TBA would be due for another bout with local oversight agencies in 2011, so I think your friend's daughter is probably safe this year.

:clown:

J/K. Seriously, look at who owns it: (for-profit) Youth and Family Centered Services Inc., based in Austin, Texas. I think they have facilities in nine states, IIRC. They do not have an especially good record.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    State Suspends Tampa Bay Academy's License
    « Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
    ...And the axe comes down. Even the original founder, Malcolm "Mac" Harriman, says that current owners Youth and Family Centered Services (Austin, TX) have "an ethical choice to go out of business."

State Suspends Tampa Bay Academy's License
    By ADAM EMERSON  | The Tampa Tribune
    Published: January 9, 2009
    Updated: 01/09/2009 07:52 pm

The state officially stopped the Tampa Bay Academy today from providing long-term mental health care to the most troubled children, but the academy's problems aren't unique to its corporate parent in Texas.

The mental health center's last-minute attempt to show regulators it could fix its problems didn't prevent the state from suspending its license. Officials with Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration said they are reviewing the academy's improvement plan, but they already have ordered its children moved to other facilities.

While the move is rare for state regulators, the academy's owner, Youth and Family Centered Services in Austin, has received similar reprimands in the past. The company operates a dozen other properties in eight states that provide mental health care to youngsters.

News reports and government records show that the Texas company's treatment services have provoked strong rebukes from child advocates and state agencies for many of the same problems inspectors found at the Tampa Bay Academy.

Three years ago, officials with Pennsylvania's Department of Public Welfare removed the children from the residential treatment facilities at Southwood Psychiatric Hospital in Allegheny County. The hospital, owned by Youth and Family Centered Services, exposed its children to broken windows, the stench of urine in bedrooms and inadequate staffing, among other problems, reports show.

In late 2006, Florida juvenile justice officials demanded improvement of the counseling services PsychSolutions Inc. provided to teens locked up at a Palm Beach County detention center. PsychSolutions, a South Florida company owned by Youth and Family Centered Services, instead pulled out of its contract.

Child advocates and mental health care experts say such actions are only symptoms of the forces driving for-profit companies that provide such care. The more children these companies enroll in their programs, the more money they earn.

"Kids aren't cogs on a wheel," said Brian Cabrey, a Jacksonville lawyer and the vice president of Florida's Children First, a child advocacy group. "You have to be seriously suspicious of any for-profit corporation. Despite the best of intentions, they frequently devolve into what we're seeing at Tampa Bay Academy."

The Florida Agency for Health Care Administration reported last month that conditions at the Tampa Bay Academy's residential treatment center were "substandard." Inspectors found evidence that residents sexually preyed on workers and on each other - all made easier by the failures of a poorly trained and inadequate staff.

Kevin Sheehan, the president and chief executive of Youth and Family Centered Services, declined to speak today with the Tribune. An assistant said he was traveling to meetings out of state.

A Plan Of Correction

Fifty-four children were enrolled at Tampa Bay Academy's residential treatment program, and all were placed in other centers by today. A group home program and a charter school on the academy's campus in Riverview weren't affected by the agency's order.

Because of the treatment center's closure, the academy recently laid off about 140 workers – more than a third of its staff.

On Thursday, academy chief executive Rich Warden sent regulators a 470-page correction plan, assuring them the center will schedule enough workers and report incidents immediately to law enforcement when necessary.

Fernando Senra, a spokesman for the Health Care Administration, said if the academy wants to restore its license, it must be ready to fulfill every promise it made in its plan.

Back in 2005, the academy made a similar plea to the Department of Children & Families, which then regulated the treatment center.

DCF stopped the academy from admitting new patients for three months after finding many of the same problems the Health Care Administration found last month: inadequate staffing, abuse complaints and an alleged sexual assault on a patient.

Satisfied with the results of subsequent inspections, the agency later allowed the academy to resume admissions.

Now, the academy's problems have come full circle, and to its founder, the recent troubles have been "disturbing."

Malcolm "Mac" Harriman of Brandon opened the academy in 1988 to provide long-term care to severely troubled children whose options mostly consisted of short stays in "money-grubbing" psychiatric hospitals, he said.

"I had a goal to create a very special place," Harriman said last week.

In 1996, he sold the company to Youth Services International Inc. in a deal valued at $5.25 million, the Dow Jones news service reported then. Youth and Family Centered Services Inc. bought the company from YSI two years later.

Today, Youth and Family Centered Services owns 13 properties and boasts, on its brochure, annual revenues of $150 million.

Profits And Credentials

Such corporate buying-and-selling in the mental health care world has proliferated, said Robert Friedman, a professor at the University of South Florida and an expert on children's mental health.

The for-profit treatment programs cause the most concern among experts. Too often, these companies are trying to maximize profits by cutting back staff.

Two years ago, lawyers who investigated the Palm Beach County juvenile detention center said they found an inadequate and overwhelmed staff at its mental health care provider, PsychSolutions.

William Booth, an attorney with the Legal Aid Society's Juvenile Advocacy Project, participated in a snap inspection of the juvenile detention center in 2006 and found a worker in the PsychSolutions office there reading a novel.

While he ultimately holds the Department of Juvenile Justice responsible for the substandard care, Booth said recently that PsychSolutions "was not performing the job."

Harriman, however, says that for-profit mental health care providers have been unfairly branded. He says nonprofit providers also can be negligent, and the state fails to provide enough assistance to treatment centers that enroll children who suffer from the most severe mental illnesses – from schizophrenia to sexual trauma.

Still, the owners of the Tampa Bay Academy have "an ethical choice to go out of business," Harriman said.

Researcher Michael Messano contributed to this report. Reporter Adam Emerson can be reached at (813) 259-8285.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    COMMENTS for "State Suspends Tampa Bay Academy's License"
    « Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
    Comments for the above article, "State Suspends Tampa Bay Academy's License" (by Adam Emerson; The Tampa Tribune; Jan. 9, 2009):

Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 01/09/2009 at 02:33 pm.
      Adam, Please also take the time to report on the other facilities owned by other groups within the state. Didn't several of the kids get moves to Manatee Palms? Wasn't their license revoked not so long ago? What about the status of other facilities? ANd what about not-for profit agencies. I understand that they get HUGE tax breaks and donated land, buildings and money, yet charge the same amount as Tampa Bay Academy. The state has got to take control of where they are placing the children in their care, and not place them in facilities that are not equipped to handle them. The state knows these kids when they place them there, better than the facility receiving them. Where is their accountability? Looks to me that this was a way for the state to avoid egg on their face. Their "Tipster" probably threatened to go to the media, so they thought, "if we act first, it will look bad on them, not us." PR training at it's finest.
    Posted by ( RRR ) on 01/09/2009 at 08:25 pm.
      Unfortunately its a $$$ thing.
    Posted by ( Malobou ) on 01/09/2009 at 09:28 pm.
      Good call ~ MyThoughtsToday!
    Posted by ( cjtwigs ) on 01/09/2009 at 09:35 pm.
      Simply stated these are the neediest children in our county that require the most intensive care. Supporting the philosophy that a community is only a strong as its' weakest link; this is a sign of the times. It is more then a money issue, it is about the well being, safety, and future of our children. HEY CHARLIE - how about using the Chiles endowment for what it was intended for HELPING CHILDREN... not balancing the books so you look good!
    Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 01/09/2009 at 09:45 pm.
      I would like to see how much of the $788,000 that Mr. Cabrey got for a settlement for a DCF child that he won a lawsuit for. Let's talk about "for profit" oganizations. There are attorney out there preying on these places for pay days. Hopefully he does offer representation like this pro bono. Anyone that calls themselves an "advocate" for children should. But I would bet that is not the case. Open your books. Let's make sure that you are not grandstanding with your quotes in newspapers. I mean getting quoted in these articles assures that parents that may want to sue will have your number. Pretty slick.
    Posted by ( big_chip ) on 01/09/2009 at 10:50 pm.
      I have an acquaintance who cooked there....it was scarey !
    Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 01/10/2009 at 01:33 am.
      My Thoughts:

You are an obvious apologist for TBA; I have no problems w/that. You are absoulutely right that other facilities likely have the same/similar problems. However, your bias for TBA and against the actions taken against make it difficult to take you seriously. Coming frm the standpoint of foster children placed in TBA, I'll tell you: the care and treatment at the facility stunk. Kids went in w/problems and they came out as bad or worse. I know they were tough kids, bit taking 200-300 a bed per day and then blaming the kids for not getting better is reprehensible.
    Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 01/10/2009 at 01:41 am.
      MyThoughts: Looking at your first comment, I see you are blaming the State for placing the kids in the first place!!! Your comment, "The state has got to take control of where they are placing these kids..." To borrow a phrase from you, "Pretty slick." They shouldn't have placed the kids in the first place because TBA was not "eqipped to handle them?" Jeez...I don't know what to say. If the kids were easy, they wouldn't need TBA!
    Posted by ( Saulray ) on 01/10/2009 at 09:46 am.
      How am I going to get the bumper sticker off my car that says "My kid was psycho of the week at Tampa Bay Acadmy" Anyone have any Goo Be Gone?
    Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 01/11/2009 at 07:26 am.
      stratoblaster, I wonder if you truly understand what I am trying to say. I worked there many years ago when the facility accepted children that were having difficulties functioning in their homes and in their schools because of behavioral and emotional problems that had a diagnosis that was treateable in that type pf setting. They did not accept students that had "conduct disorder" as a diagnosis. These days, the state wants to place children with that diagnosis in a facility like TBA. Not sure if you understand the difference between conduct disorder and other diagnoses, but they are very different. Once Florida began placing kids with conduct disorder as their main issue, the facility saw a different type of child in their facility. Also, in the late 1990's and early 2000's managed care changed dramatically, and the facility went from being a qualified provider for many insurance companies to mainly a state placement facility for their most severe children. There is a huge difference between kids that are placed by insurance and have families that want to be involved than a child who's parents are minimally involved and they have state case workers and criminal charges, and may not even have parental involvement. You see, I also used to work in a foster care placement office. I am not an apologisr for TBA. I am calling them on their mistakes, and I am angry and disappointed in them for allowing this to happen. I do however feel that they are being unfairly ripped in the media. I feel that the entire story is not being told. That is irresponsible journalism. That is headline seeking journalism. I have never been one to say that kids at TBA should be easy. I have been punched, kicked, spit on, had feces thrown at me and on me, I have had to physically restrain a child for long periods of time. I know the difficulties that come with those types of kids. I also know that there were psychological reasons for their behaviors. Kids that are placed there now have little to work for because a lot of their families are never going to want them back. If that is what TBA is becoming, a home and a holding cell, then they need to change their program. they need to adapt to that type of client. That is not the type of place it was when I was there. And I would never go back if that is what it is becoming. Hope that clears it up for you.
    Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 01/11/2009 at 10:25 am.
      Rutherford: Well put. I agree w/many of your points. However,if what you say is accurate then TBA continued to accept kids for which you say they were not equipped to treat, and that is unethical. As for my undesrtanding of various disorders and such: I have almost 30 years experience in the field in various capacities from direct care to master's level practitioner. I was in the position to work with and/or review the cases of about 100 kids who had contact w/TBA and were from the dependency system. I have an opinion, based on much experience, and will admit that I am biased against RTC's in general because I have seen so much bad treatment. As to the journalisitc integrity of Emerson, et al: they are doing what journalists are supposed to do. Most people have NO IDEA what kids in this arena go through and this series of articles doesn't even scratch the surface. Kids, even the "conduct disordered" ones, deserve the benefit of the doubt and the public needs to know.
    Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 01/11/2009 at 05:38 pm.
      stratoblaster, your opinion is respected. I strongly disagree with you regarding the journalist doing what he is supposed to do. I cancelled my subscription to the Trib because I found that their stories were one sided and only reported stories like this when something bad happened. That is not responsible journalism. They never called and asked to do a story on any of the good things that TBA accomplished over the years. The public is very unaware of what positive can happen in a facility like this. I worked there for 10 years in many different departments. Direct care, marketing, supervisor, education department, among others. I received calls from dozens of kids that had been transferred for many months and years after they left. I know of many more positive stories out of this facility than any journalist would care to write about. Perhaps the Trib should reach out to me to write an article about the positives. Would that attract readers? I think it would. But apparently they are of the stereotypical newspapers that believe that negativity sells papers. Perhaps they are right. Very sad. Very very sad.
    Posted by ( undisclosedname ) on 01/15/2009 at 08:06 pm.
      what they do run out of news? Put an old story back up?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Academy Problems Aren't Unique
    « Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »
    The "companion piece" to the just above article, "State Suspends Tampa Bay Academy's License":

Academy Problems Aren't Unique
    Published: January 10, 2009

(There were no comments for this article, as of yet.)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
    Thank you "Bear".  My friend isn't a computer guy, so I'll bring him these articles tonight. Though I'm afraid he  might even more worried when he reads this stuff. I tried to explain my time in the seed to him, but like most people who never went through a program he really dosen't get it.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Tampa Bay Academy Reaches Settlement, Must Meet Standards
    « Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
    Ah, but there is more... Tampa Bay Academy was able to subsequently work out a settlement with the state, and hence slip back into business:

Tampa Bay Academy Reaches Settlement, Must Meet Standards
    Published: January 15, 2009

The state has reached a settlement with the troubled Tampa Bay Academy, which will be allowed to admit patients into its long-term mental health care program when it shows it meets every standard set by regulators.

The academy must pay a $50,000 fine and bring everything in its facility up to standards within the next 180 days, said Shelisha Durden, a spokeswoman with Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration.

If it wants to run its residential treatment program, it has to fix everything – even deficiencies regulators didn't cite before suspending the academy's license Friday. It can't even have a cracked window, Durden said.

Despite the settlement, the state still hasn't approved the improvement plan the academy submitted last week.

The Health Care Administration reported last month that conditions at the academy's residential treatment center were "substandard." Inspectors found evidence that residents sexually preyed on workers and on each other - all made easier by the failures of a poorly trained and inadequate staff.

Fifty-four children were enrolled at Tampa Bay Academy's residential treatment program, and all have been placed in other centers. A group home program and a charter school on the academy's campus in Riverview were not affected by the agency's order.

Because of the treatment center's closure, the academy recently laid off about 140 workers – more than a third of its staff.

Reporter Adam Emerson can be reached at (813) 259-8285.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    COMMENTS for "Tampa Bay Academy Reaches Settlement..."
    « Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
    Comments for the above article, "Tampa Bay Academy Reaches Settlement, Must Meet Standards" (by Adam Emerson; The Tampa Tribune;" Jan. 15, 2009):

Posted by ( bearfan ) on 01/15/2009 at 06:25 pm.
      That's a good thing to hear cause I feel bad for the worker's who lost there jobs. I know someone who worked there and the past 5 months the stories i got was not good, like they was told to stop putting the kids in restraining holds they was train to do when the kids got out of line. Working with troubled kids you have to have some kind of control over them. Most of those kids just want someone to talk to or be treated like a normal kid, but you can't never let your guard down cause Kids can since when they are in control, also working in that kind of environment you need to get paid alot more than $9 an hour.what they need to do is let those jerks that worked in the HR office go cause they don't know what the "----" there doing. As far as the workers you need strong and not weak "---" workers so I feel the only one's they should call back is the one's that can hold their own and not let the kids run all over them.
    Posted by ( TheBottomLine ) on 01/15/2009 at 11:54 pm.
      I hope that the previous post is not indicative of the quality of staff that have been hired at this place. That would explain a lot. And whomever wrote it knows a lot more than just having a friend that worked there. I dont mean to be rude, but if you can't speak better than that, you have no business in the field of psychology.
    Posted by ( TheBottomLine ) on 01/16/2009 at 12:06 am.
      OK, now that I am done picking on people, I wonder where that $50K fine goes. I mean, the state of Florida is $2.5 billion short of it's budget, they shut down this facility where it is expensive to place kids, hence saving a lot of money, they then slap a monetary fine on the facility that just laid off 140 employees. I mean is it a coincidence that these money saving and money making issues all occurred in the middle of the worst economic time this state has ever seen? Who oversees where this money is spent? Is it used to repay some attorney fees incurred by the state to shut them down, even though their attorneys are full time state attorneys anyways. I would like an all out investigation into where these monies are going. Floridians want to know.