Author Topic: tampa bay academy  (Read 16476 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
tampa bay academy
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:15:57 PM »
My friend's teenage  daughter was placed in the Tampa Bay Academy in Riverview Florida, for drinking and "behavioral difficulties". Does anybody know the real 411 on this place. I'm friends with her dad, but not with her mom, and she ain't talking to us.All we know is that the program minimum is 30 days, and he's not allowed to contact her. Any info would be helpful.3ru3a
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: tampa bay academy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »
Thier website looks a brochure for a country club. I don't know about this one.
http://www.tampabay-academy.com/

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:01:43 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
My friend's teenage  daughter was placed in the Tampa Bay Academy in Riverview Florida, for drinking and "behavioral difficulties". Does anybody know the real 411 on this place. I'm friends with her dad, but not with her mom, and she ain't talking to us.All we know is that the program minimum is 30 days, and he's not allowed to contact her. Any info would be helpful.3ru3a

Bob will do some research.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:55:34 AM »
Unless there are two "tampa Bay academies" I am surprised that they got their license back so quickly.

[url=http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/18/na-state-suspends-license-of-tampa-bay-academy/]State Suspends License Of Tampa Bay Academy (by Adam Emerson, Tampa Bay Tribune, December 18, 2008)

State Orders Children Removed From Tampa Bay Academy (by Adam Emerson, Tampa Bay Tribune, December 17, 2008)

They maybe have pulled the "job-card". Such a place needs staff and in a small community a closure could be equal with the closure of the entire community.

The problems: Rather surprising the residents attacks the staff wishing sex and seems to get away with it. Normally it would be the other way around. Two residents have sex with one of the HIV positive. There are precausions the residents could be told to use as sexual relationships are not unusual in residential programs. I am not saying that those things are OK, but really - in a lot of states it would not the basis for a closure or even a warning to the facility.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
State Orders Children Removed From Tampa Bay Academy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:21:37 AM »
There's an aerial-view pic of the facility on the article link. Unfortunately, it translates into a 2620px × 1276px monster when posted with IMG tags, and I don't know how to make it any smaller.

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

State Orders Children Removed From Tampa Bay Academy
By ADAM EMERSON | The Tampa Tribune
Published: December 17, 2008
Updated: 12/17/2008 08:02 pm

TAMPA - State investigators ordered the removal of 54 children and teenagers from the Tampa Bay Academy in Riverview after finding the academy failed to protect its residents and staff from "known and obvious dangerous behaviors."

State officials suspended the license of the academy's residential treatment program after learning that a staff member had been sexually assaulted and police were never notified. They also found that workers failed to properly supervise the residents, who often fought with staff.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office has opened a criminal investigation at the academy, which houses children and teenagers who suffer from severe psychological disorders and sexual trauma. The sheriff's office wouldn't say what it's investigating.

Officials with Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration accused the academy of "gross mismanagement." Given the academy's "utter failure to take the appropriate corrective actions, it is unlikely that these deficiencies will be corrected in the absence of agency action," state officials wrote in a Leon County court filing.

The agency's investigators conducted their review Dec. 8 and found inadequate staffing at the residential treatment program and noticed workers behind closed doors and secluded from the teens' activities.

Allegations Include Sex Assault

Investigators found:

• In late November, on two occasions, one of the residents "sexually assaulted a staff member" in the absence of other workers who were supposed to be on duty. The academy didn't report the incident to health regulators until Dec. 4 and never notified law enforcement.
  • On Dec. 1, a staff member was subjected to "sexually inappropriate and assaultive behavior" by as many as four residents, and management didn't get complete reports of the incident for several days. "No action was taken," investigators said, "to ensure that other clients were protected from such behaviors and dangers in the interim or thereafter."
  • One resident admitted in late November to being infected with gonorrhea and HIV, and the staff was supposed to watch the resident constantly. Despite that, the resident had sex repeatedly with another resident.

Investigators also found cases where residents assaulted staff members and pushed them into work stations while blocking their escape.

The agency conducted its review a couple of weeks ago after receiving an anonymous tip about conditions at the academy, said Shelisha Durden spokeswoman for the Health Care Administration. Sheriff's deputies started their investigation about the same time, according to their spokesman J.D. Callaway.

Durden said some of the 54 youngsters in the academy's residential treatment program have been moved to other facilities, but she wouldn't say where. The rest of the youngsters will be moved by Jan. 9, the day health regulators officially seize the academy's license.

The Health Care Administration's order also prohibits the academy from admitting new residents.

Rich Warden, the chief executive for Tampa Bay Academy, declined to answer any questions from the Tribune, just releasing a statement:

The academy "takes the health and well-being of the children and the families we serve very seriously," Warden said. "We will work diligently to address any and all concerns that ACHA, our state licensing agency, may have and we will continue to provide high quality services to the children entrusted to our care."

The Health Care Administration's order affects only the academy's residential program. Tampa Bay Academy also runs a group home for youngsters with less severe needs and a charter school that serves as many as 200 students.

Services Are Unique Locally

Few other long-term residential programs exist that can serve the intensive needs these children and teenagers have. Tampa Bay Academy has the only residential treatment program of its kind in Hillsborough County.

The academy is managed by the for-profit Youth and Family Centered Services Inc., which is headquartered in Austin, Texas. Durden said the Tampa Bay Academy receives funding through Medicaid reimbursements, the Florida Department of Children and Families and private insurance payments, among other sources.

The academy's cluster of Spanish-style buildings opened in 1988 on 24 acres just south of the Alafia River. Its residential treatment center has the capacity for 100 children and teenagers.

Many of the youngsters are referred there for treatment by Hillsborough Kids Inc., the agency that oversees more than 3,000 children in state custody.

Jeff Rainey, chief executive for Hillsborough Kids, said the agency has checked on its children enrolled in the academy's other programs that provide lower levels of care. Officials didn't find an imminent safety risk, Rainey said.

Rainey said the agency already sends some children out of Hillsborough County to receive intensive, long-term specialized care. Without the Tampa Bay Academy, he said, that need becomes more acute.

Reporter Adam Emerson can be reached at (813) 259-8285.

©2009 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08:28 AM »
So let me get this right. It was the staff who attacked by the kids? Kids having sex with each other? Does this sound right, or
did they get caught screwing around and then BLAME the kids. Somthing here don't jive.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
So let me get this right. It was the staff who attacked by the kids? Kids having sex with each other? Does this sound right, or
did they get caught screwing around and then BLAME the kids. Somthing here don't jive.
Probably all of the above. This place has changed ownership, management, and operating philosophy a number of times over the course of its existence. Moreover, the local government agency responsible for oversight also changed during that same time period.

A number of former staff weighed in as to the currently dire state of affairs in the comments section of that article (see next post). Since that is but one point of view, take it for what it's worth and read between the lines...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
COMMENTS for "State Orders Children Removed..."
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »
Comments for the above article, "State Orders Children Removed From Tampa Bay Academy" (by Adam Emerson; The Tampa Tribune; Dec. 17, 2008):

Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/17/2008 at 06:17 pm.
    While this article looks bad, I worked at this facility for 10 years and it has helped thousands of kids. They also run a group home and charter school on site that are still running well. It is interesting that TBA only makes the news when something like this happens. They never cover the kids that go on to college, or the kids that were severely abused in their homes and have gone on to live productive lives because of what this facility is able to do for them. I hope that Administration that decided on this removal of children is looking to help correct any issues by working with TBA and not just slamming their doors shut. The State of Florida needs this type of facility. Perhaps some changes need to occur, but this facility has had a great reputation for many years. Let's fix it, not quit on it.
Posted by ( whoorah8 ) on 12/17/2008 at 06:30 pm.
    SRutherford - I worked for the state for 6 yrs & they are supposed to keep tabs on places licensed through the state. Looks like the state fell short with this group. I agree fix it, don't quit it.
Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/17/2008 at 08:07 pm.
    It frustrates me when the state does not make comments like "this place can and will be a great place for kids again, and we will work with them to assure that that happens". Nope, they can only use strong superlatives like "gross mismanagement". Did they ever state, "The incredible work that they did with that child that allowed him to go to college". They have no idea what good they have done over there. If they do, they certainly have never made comments like these when things go well.
Posted by ( Claylisa ) on 12/17/2008 at 08:19 pm.
    SRutherford..unfortunately there is NO money in "positive news stories". I understand you frustration. I highly doubt that they've been around for 20 years and haven't been doing something right.
Posted by ( Whackamole ) on 12/17/2008 at 09:26 pm.
    I worked there when it first opened and they were taking kids who were railroaded in by their parents just because they have good insurance coverage. We were trained to offset assaults by residents, what happened to that training if a staff was sexually assaulted? :0
Posted by ( Whackamole ) on 12/17/2008 at 09:30 pm.
    Oh, and the first few months they were in business, they faced a lawsuit by parents of a child who suffered a head injury.
Posted by ( mcmurphy7 ) on 12/17/2008 at 09:44 pm.
    That's what happens when you just privatize for the sake of lobbyist cash... right Jeb?
Posted by ( bucsrock ) on 12/17/2008 at 10:00 pm.
    It doesn't matter if they have been around a billion years and never did anything wrong,....this is wrong!!! Get control now!!!
Posted by ( justice33 ) on 12/17/2008 at 10:03 pm.
    It is so very unfortunate that this situation occurred. However, the other unfortunate thing is that the Group Homes as this same facility are also practicing "gross mismanagement". There may have been a time when the Group Home facility was providing adequate support to both the staff as well as the residents. It is very safe to say that presently not only are the residents being bribed on a consistent basis but the employees are being treated very unfairly by the group Home Manager, Director as well as the Human Resources Director. The Human Resources Director should be an advocate for the employees. However, due to the lack of communication between all levels of management and the employees, several commendable employees have lost their jobs due to retaliation by higher level management. Employees are in fear of loosing their jobs after witnessing the discharge of other reputable employees due to their attempt to get fair treatment.
Posted by ( i2021 ) on 12/17/2008 at 10:38 pm.
    I have personal knowledge of the facility and the RTC in particular. These are just some of the issues being investigated. TBA may have helped some kids, but it is horribly managed and some of the doctors associated with it are nothing more than dope dealers that push psychotropic meds on children.
Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/17/2008 at 10:45 pm.
    Whackamole, if I am not mistaken, the head injury you are speaking of occurred during a fun athletic activity and the child broke his neck but did return to finish his treatment at the facility. It is comments like this that are misleading and cause people to believe that it is a bad place. And justice33, perhaps some people have lost their jobs as a result of situation like the ones mentioned in this article. Perhaps the terminations were justified and they were made for the safety of the children at the facility. But perhaps you are correct and changes need to occur. Whatever is wrong should be righted because this place is a great place for kids, when run properly. I know, I helped hundreds.
Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/17/2008 at 10:48 pm.
    mcmurphy7, this facility has been around long before Jeb was governor.
Posted by ( mcmurphy7 ) on 12/17/2008 at 11:14 pm.
    SRutherford--that's correct, it has. But it was PRIVATIZED while Jeb was governor and that's my point. Perhaps it wasn't clear enough for you to understand. Privatization isn't ALWAYS the most efficient and least expensive way. But legislators and elected officials don't care about that because the "privateers" kick back enough money to them to keep them shut up.
Posted by ( MikeForrest ) on 12/18/2008 at 12:41 am.
    So what happens to the kids who assaulted the staff ? I hope the Sheriff's investigation is aimed at arresting the sex offenders. It's a shame that kids who are criminals get put into the same facility with kids who really need help. That shows the whole system is broken, and Tampa Bay Academy is only part of the problem.
Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/18/2008 at 07:21 am.
    mcmurphy7 The facility has always been privately owned and operated. I personally know the original owners. This was never a state run facility.
Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/18/2008 at 08:59 am.
    Deepfriedride, do you know the number of kids in this program that do not have families? I suspect you do not. I suspect a large number of these kids are in state custody and have been placed there because they are not able to be maintained in foster homes or group homes. Where would you like these kids to go. I agree, there appears to be some issues with that facility and they need to be fixed immediately so that these kids that have no other place to go, have a safe nurturing environment to go. While it is obvious that these issues need to be addressed, it should also be addressed that the state needs this place before these kids are put back in the community with the same issues that brought them there in the first place.
Posted by ( concernedparent2009 ) on 12/18/2008 at 09:53 am.
    Obviously bucsrock and deepfriedride have never had to deal with an emotionally disabled child. One who is out of control through no fault of their own or no fault of their parents but due to chemical and physiological imbalances. While these allegations are horrible, TBA is not all bad. They have an outstanding program and the counselors and staff are A+ in my book. How do I know this? My child was placed there through the group home program and is a success. My child pulled up their grades, improved their behavior and was finally stabalized with the right medication. Anyone who has a child on psychotropic medication knows how hard it is to get the right medication and dosage. TBA does not need to be closed but they need to reorganize and get reinstated. Florida has a severe shortage of these type of treatment facilities and with all the state budget cuts, it will only get worse. TBA needs help and I pray that the state will come through.
Posted by ( TACT1 ) on 12/18/2008 at 11:41 am.
    This is truly sad. Everyone must be accountable for the well being of these children. I was one of the original members of this facility and brought the very first child for admission in my own car. Someone previously mentioned that a lawsuit was filed against TBA in the first year of business due to head injury. This was true but nothing like it seems. The child jumped off the stage in the gym onto a giant "Earth Ball" and propelled himself into the iar, thus falling on his head. Truly an accident that was handled very well by TBA management.

My intention is not to defend TBA in response to the current situation. I know TBA is not what it used to be when the original owners had control. YFCS has not provided the needed safety for these children and staff. They changed the complete approach and philosphy, including the physical management of aggressive behavior. Good caring people have left this agency over the years because of feeling unsafe for the children and themselves. These types of facilities are truly needed but must be held accountable. They must provide the needed safety and security of their children and staff. The environment must be stable for the needed treatment that was once truly provided.

I to have seen many children leave this facility over the years and lead productive independent lives. They came to this facility completely out of control with no direction in their lives. I hope this will happen again!!
Posted by ( TACT1 ) on 12/18/2008 at 12:26 pm.
    Many of you know me. Like some of you we have left blood, sweat, and tears at TBA. I have devoted my life to providing safe environments for all clients in healthcare. Creating new standards for safety and security through the Governing bodies (JCAHO/CMS).

Providing the therapeutic environment for these children to feel safe is the first step in their ability to recive treatment. Unfortunetly, this requires quality training and supervision by people that know what they are doing. The laws are pretty clear in that if someone is endangering themselves or others they must be stopped. There is no room for passivity and questions about liability. When you admit children with aggressive behaviors you must have a plan to address these issues. You can't allow them to continue these same aggressive behaviors toward themselves and others and expect them to just go away. Staff must feel empowered to control these behaviors as part of the treatment plan and not feel threatened that management will fire them for putting their hands on the children.

I don't feel that restraint is the answer to these children's problems but the issue is truly safety. Restraint when done appropriately by well trained staff can have significant therapeutic value.

The bottom line is that these behaviors were never acceptable at TBA in the early years and the children felt safe. When the environment is out of control no treatment is happening.
Posted by ( Mother47 ) on 12/18/2008 at 01:25 pm.
    SRutherford I agree with alot of what you have said this facility has helped alot of children and because of the facility they have shown the children how to be respectable people in the community. My Daughter is employeed at TBA and has been for 10years. She has mentioned on several occassions how you have to be a special person to work with the challenging children that are there. She has also mentioned that everyone who has been employeed there may not fit with the type of chldren that are there. She has mentioned how hard it has been for some of the children and how they have been physically or mentally abusive by family members or being in a foster home. My daughter has also mentioned that there are times when a situation has happen and the police were called they would do nothing. They tell the staff that there was nothing for them to do and that is why the child is at the facility. So when it comes to being unsafe for the patients/staff and the police are called to assist and they don't help then what is the facility to do? I believe what they have been doing is to continue to keep the children and staff as safe a possible. My daughter has mentioned that in the last two years things have change with the adminstrative staff and they see things differently than the CEO(Mr. EH)who started the facility. I know that he really cared for the children and the staff. Now with new people in charge things change and I hope that they see what they need to do to make the facility the way it use to be. We need this facility to remain in the county to continue to help as many children as possible. The facility is also aware that they can't save/help them all but they have saved a whole lot of them. I hope that YCFS will use the old good staff to help train the new ones and get them to see how they can make a difference and keep everyone as safe as possble. For the people who are negative as SRutherford have stated: have you ever been at the facility to see the difference that has been made with the children or do you even have children with the difficultives these children have. It's not easy and if there are difficult parents as well it really is not easy to help.The staff enjoy working with the patient's there and if they didn't they would not have staff there has long as they have my daughter is one of them.
Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/18/2008 at 02:22 pm.
    TACT1, I was just telling someone last night that they need someone like you to return to TBA to help fix this. It is heartbreaking to know that a facility that, like you said, we put so many years of blood sweat and tears into is now looked at in the light that it is. I am in contact with many of the people that worked there back then and all of them feel the same. Things need to improve over there, and they need to re-evaluate their program. Behavior management is just that, managing ones behavior. Without the tools and support allowing highly qualified and trained staff to do that, the faclity will fail. Liability is a huge issue in this country. But it has been put ahead of the safety of the children. That was not the foundation TBA was built on. Enough from me, hopefully the state and the powers that be in TBA will fix whatever they need to fix and return it to what it once was. The best RTC in Florida.
Posted by ( TACT1 ) on 12/18/2008 at 03:03 pm.
    I would love to see the old crew come back and fix this. Unfortunetly, we are not as young as we used to be. EH and I were just emailing each other about that very issue.

We can only hope that the State and YFCS gets on top of this. Children need this level of care.
Posted by ( justice33 ) on 12/18/2008 at 04:22 pm.
    Keep in mind that the group home could be ran more diligently with the appropriate management. You are right in the some of the staff members are not competent enough to provide these residents with the consistent support and dedication needed in order for then to get through their treatment. I should also mention that some of the staff that have become targets are staff that have provided the proper consistency care needed. I have witnessed first hand that the staff members that have the capability of minimizing the number of incidents in any particular house end up in some type of investigation leading to them being removed from the house that they have effectively helped many of the residents cope with their behavioral or psychological disorders if you will. Upper level management have put male staff in an all female house when there have been plenty of female staff to accommodate staffing the female houses. This is a new practice. Management has made working in the group homes very uncomfortable for so many of the staff. The staff is walking around on eggshells due to the lack of support from their management.
Posted by ( justice33 ) on 12/18/2008 at 05:41 pm.
    srutherford-Does your daughter currently work in the group homes?
Posted by ( apple_red ) on 12/18/2008 at 06:19 pm.
    I have a family member who was placed in TBA. She got the help she needed, but she says the conditions were deplorable. The staff that runs the halls were ridiculous and subpar, and she saw abuse happening right before her eyes...but nobody said anything about it, it was seen as typical. TBA was rooming severely ill children with even MORE severely ill children UNDER A DYSFUNCTIONAL STAFF WHO COULD NOT DO THEIR JOBS AT KEEPING AN EYE ON THEM AND MAKING SURE THEY ARE OK. This is where TBA went wrong; good intentions or not, the people watching the kids failed and destroyed lives. Thank GOD this place was shut down...no more kids can be abused there.
Posted by ( SRutherford ) on 12/18/2008 at 07:20 pm.
    justice33, no my daughter does not work there. I no longer work there either. I did many years ago. A different time. I hope that this facility can get back to what made it good. I hope that all of you hope that. Employees, students, parents, former students, former employees. I hope that everyone pulls for this facility to be what it can be, and I hope that the state recognizes that as well. It is the State of Florida that has placed a lot of children there because of their faith and trust in the program. It should be the state that works with them to restore that.
Posted by ( RiverviewRaysfan ) on 12/18/2008 at 07:35 pm.
    One of the things that seem to be forgotten in this whole story is that these children that are being treated at Tampa Bay Academy, are usually victims of some kind of abuse, many of the times the abuse is of a sexual nature. TBA even has a sexual maladaptive behavior unit that treats children with illnesses related about sexual issues. The incidents reffered to in the article as "sexual assault" has a severity to it that makes people think of it as rape. Although I do not condone what happened, most of the incidents in question probably involve situations of younger children groping a female staff. It is hard for me to equate that to the term "sexual assault" when these children are there being treated for illnesses, and this is the way they act out. I have worked in pyschiatric treatment facilities for many years and situations like this are very common, in fact they happen all the time at places like TBA. I am also aware that TBA has began to take steps in order to avoid incidents like this from continuing. They have removed all female staff from working in direct contact with the younger males. Unfortunately, situations like this are going to occur, these kids are sick, thats why they are being treated. The absolute wrong thing to do is to close the doors of this facility. It places a heavier burden on the other scarce available resources for families to turn to. Remember, one day these kids are going to grow up and have children of their own. We need to do what we can now to prevent the cycle of abuse from continuing. Provide support, learn from the mistakes, and support TBA and places like it to continue to improve the lives of the individuals they treat.
Posted by ( IceBreaker3000 ) on 12/18/2008 at 08:11 pm.
    This article is blown way out of proportion. For example, None of the "sexual incedents" involved intercourse in any way however this article leads to to think that. The residents are always properly supervised. There is a ratio of staff to residents that is strictly inforced at all times. The staff are never left alone with any resident at any time. There are some acute cases at Tampa Bay Academy that involve some level of danger, but thats the normal hazard of working at a Psychiatric Facility! This is a very good example of how the media sensationalizes on a subject to sell a paper.
Posted by ( kidrock0976 ) on 12/18/2008 at 09:09 pm.
    I'm glad the state has finally shed some light on the situations going on at TBA. Aside from the obvious endangerment of the children & staff TBA fails to provide appropriate medical attention to children. The facility is always unsanitary & the staff ordered to do last minute clean up efforts before inspections. The place is more like a daycare than a treatment center and the Staff are not adequately prepared or trained for possible violent outbursts from children/young adults. The current HR Director fails to provide equal treatment to pregnant staff by not placing them in a safe environment upon request during their pregnancy, furthermore forcing them to either leave the company or switch to parttime causing them to loose benefits altogether. Facility needs improvement in all aspects aside from what's currently being investigated starting with upper management. In emergency situations when there is no opportunity to get to the phone or loud speakers it is almost impossible to contact a manager or staff assistance. Although Walkie talkies are used in certain areas, they should be used in ALL departments for the safety of Staff & children but they are not. All in all, this place has great potential but needs to be restructured with rules & consequences put in place that are more effective so that bad behavior such as the sexual assault don't go unnoticed. I feel that if HR became more aware of the federal laws in place & there was better training for the Staff this facility would be a fun, safe & effective treatment facility for everyone.
Posted by ( MikeForrest ) on 12/18/2008 at 09:18 pm.
    apple_red, you claim to know of kids who were abused at TBA, "...but nobody said anything about it".

If that is actually true, then you are morally and legally obligated to report the abuse. There is no statute of limitations on child abuse. The purpose is to get the real perpetrators off the streets.

Otherwise, if you don't report to the authorities, I can safely assume you are making false allegations.
Posted by ( IceBreaker3000 ) on 12/18/2008 at 09:47 pm.
    I agree completely With you kidrock0976! The HR Director and the previous CEO fired all the seasoned staff because they were one minute late or for something else extremely minor such as that. Because of this there were no adaquate on the job training for the new staff. All of a sudden there were all new staff running the halls not knowing what to do. Then to top it all off, YFCS took away all of the consequences for the residents. If you have behaviorally challenged teens knowing they can do what ever they want with no consequences, then you will have trouble. I feel tampa bay academy has to corect the problem from the TOP first!
Posted by ( apple_red ) on 12/19/2008 at 01:14 am.
    Mikeforrest, I asked my family member to report the abuse to the authorities. She refused. I was not personally involved in the situation, I just heard about it. I also was a young teen at the time and wasn't aware of how I should have dealt with the situation. Bottom line : If the staff had properly dealt with the abuse they SAW HAPPENING BEFORE THEIR EYES, then I would not have heard it through the grape vine from my family member and given the responsibility, as a young teen, to help this entire school of children from this abuse by forcing my family member to tell authorities what was going on. It is unfair to say that because I did not alert authorities about the abuse I HEARD about but didn't actually WITNESS, that I must be lying. I am not lying, and I am very glad (as is my family member) that this place has been shut down.
Posted by ( seminolekattie ) on 12/19/2008 at 12:21 pm.
    Not only does the staff need to be proffesionals such as LCSWs, but local Sheriff's department are about to make treating SED children no longer possible for proffessionals, who's left? As an LCSW out of the school system I won't work with foster care children or SED children because of the abuse by these children and the local CPI's. Soon no one will treat or house or care for these children, then what? Certainly look at the day to day picture, but it might be time to look at the bigger and more important picture, they can't get qualified staff, WE DON'T want to work in these environments anymore, it's to dangerous, it doesn't pay well, and it's to much of a safety risk for our proffesional lives. Sooner or later someone will open their eyes.

CPI's should be LCSW's NOT attached to the local Sheriffs office, but attached to the State of Florida with training in family issues, not criminal investigations! Also working with SED children should require an LCSW and 2 years post licensure supervision and not be required to be on call 24/7 but get days off. Good luck glad I am in the school system!
Posted by ( Love4kids08 ) on 12/20/2008 at 02:45 pm.
    It is great to see so many people have opinions about this program. I agree with so many of you on this one and the others not so much. I have also worked at TBA for 6 years and have had experience in all aspects of this facility from the residential program, the group homes, and administration. I agree that TBA is not the same place that I knew it to be. The days when SRutherford, EH and,Tact1 were there it was run by people who deeply cared about kids and staff's well being. TBA has gone through so many transitions in the past and I have seen it go from better to worse. Most of the problems arose when staff did not feel supported or backed by therapists and administration and poorly qualified staff allowed to work with these group sick children. I feel that many of the staff hired by TBA were not the best and did not always have the kids best interest at mind. Administration were aware of many instances that were detrimental to staff and children but staff were not properly reprimanded or dealt with in fear of not being able to find more staff to work with this population. I felt they hung on to many staff just because they did not want to let them go and have to search or recruit more. Over the years as the veteran staff left or moved on the support that used to be there no longer existed! We all had each other's back no matter where you worked but over the years I have seen the quality of staff deminish which is sad. I personally know of many other dangerous situations between staff members and clients that were never really addressed! managers were not always the best and unfortunately it trickels down to the staff and the children. No the state shoudl not turn their backs on this place but I do feel that TBA has been given ample opportunity by ACHA to fix the problems that existed years ago and make them right, and they have FAILED repeatedly at this! I feel sorry for the employees that will lose their jobs and the kids that will be affected and moved from place to place but it is time WAKE UP and stop brushing serious issues under the rug!
Posted by ( justice33 ) on 12/24/2008 at 02:09 pm.
    AHCA needs to look a little deeper into the management of the group homes as well as human resources. YFCS (Youth and Family Centered Services) would not be happy with the way management treats the staff that are there doing the right things for the sake of the residents. Management is putting staff in uncomfortable situations and when it is brought to their (management) attention, the staff is targeted when in fact the management should assure the safety and well-being of the residents at all times. Meaning, if there is a house with all female residents, there should not be a male staff placed in the house. This is to protect the staff as well of the residents. To place a male staff in the house out of retaliation is wrong. AHCA should seriously consider investigating the management as I can assure you that so many issues have been swept under the wrong in the group homes.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
State Suspends License Of Tampa Bay Academy
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:42:34 AM »
Here is another article, which appears to be more or less the same article with a different headline (plus separate Comments section), also maintained by The Tampa Tribune's online site. I am guessing the Tribune releases these in different publications, perhaps print vs. online version?

State Suspends License Of Tampa Bay Academy
By ADAM EMERSON [email protected]
Published: December 18, 2008

State investigators ordered the removal of 54 children and teenagers from the Tampa Bay Academy in Riverview after finding the academy failed to protect its residents and staff from "known and obvious dangerous behaviors."

State officials suspended the license of the academy's residential treatment program after learning that a staff member had been sexually assaulted and police were never notified. They also found that workers failed to properly supervise the residents, who often fought with staff.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office has opened a criminal investigation at the academy, which houses children and teenagers who suffer from severe psychological disorders and sexual trauma. The sheriff's office wouldn't say what it is investigating.

Officials with Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration accused the academy of "gross mismanagement." Given the academy's "utter failure to take the appropriate corrective actions, it is unlikely that these deficiencies will be corrected in the absence of agency action," state officials wrote in a Leon County court filing.

The agency's investigators conducted their review Dec. 8 and found inadequate staffing at the residential treatment program and noticed workers behind closed doors and secluded from the teens' activities.

Investigators found:

• In late November, on two occasions, one of the residents "sexually assaulted a staff member" in the absence of other workers who were supposed to be on duty. The academy didn't report the incident to health regulators until Dec. 4 and never notified law enforcement.
  • On Dec. 1, a staff member was subjected to "sexually inappropriate and assaultive behavior" by as many as four residents, and management didn't get complete reports of the incident for several days. "No action was taken," investigators said, "to ensure that other clients were protected from such behaviors and dangers in the interim or thereafter."
  • One resident admitted in late November to being infected with gonorrhea and HIV, and the staff was supposed to watch the resident constantly. Despite that, the resident had sex repeatedly with another resident.

Investigators also found cases where residents assaulted staff members and pushed them into work stations while blocking their escape.

Agency Was Tipped Off

The agency conducted its review a couple of weeks ago after receiving an anonymous tip about conditions at the academy, said Shelisha Durden, spokeswoman for the Health Care Administration. Sheriff's deputies started their investigation about the same time, according to spokesman J.D. Callaway.

Durden said some of the 54 youngsters in the academy's residential treatment program have been moved to other facilities, but she wouldn't say where. The rest of the youngsters will be moved by Jan. 9, the day health regulators officially seize the academy's license.

The Health Care Administration's order also prohibits the academy from admitting new residents.

Rich Warden, the chief executive for Tampa Bay Academy, declined to answer any questions from the Tribune, just releasing a statement:

The academy "takes the health and well-being of the children and the families we serve very seriously," Warden said. "We will work diligently to address any and all concerns that ACHA, our state licensing agency, may have and we will continue to provide high quality services to the children entrusted to our care."

The Health Care Administration's order affects only the academy's residential program. Tampa Bay Academy also runs a group home for youngsters with less severe needs and a charter school that serves as many as 200 students.

Services Are Unique Locally

Few other long-term residential programs exist that can serve the intensive needs these children and teenagers have. Tampa Bay Academy has the only residential treatment program of its kind in Hillsborough County.

The academy is managed by the for-profit Youth and Family Centered Services Inc., which is based in Austin, Texas. Durden said Tampa Bay Academy receives funding through Medicaid reimbursements, the Florida Department of Children & Families and private insurance payments, among other sources.

The academy's cluster of Spanish-style buildings opened in 1988 on 24 acres just south of the Alafia River. Its residential treatment center has the capacity for 100 children and teenagers.

Many of the youngsters are referred there for treatment by Hillsborough Kids Inc., the agency that oversees more than 3,000 children in state custody.

Jeff Rainey, chief executive for Hillsborough Kids, said the agency has checked on its children enrolled in the academy's other programs that provide lower levels of care. Officials didn't find an imminent safety risk, Rainey said.

Rainey said the agency already sends some children out of Hillsborough County to receive intensive, long-term specialized care. Without Tampa Bay Academy, he said, that need becomes more acute.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
COMMENTS for "State Suspends License Of Tampa Bay Academy"
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »
Comments for the above article, "State Suspends License Of Tampa Bay Academy" (by Adam Emerson; The Tampa Tribune; Dec. 18, 2008):

Posted by ( seminolekattie ) on 12/19/2008 at 12:28 pm.
    Again in privitazation the state makes the treatment agency out to be the problem. The article states, "State officials say they have given the academy a chance to increase the quality and size of its staff, and it has failed. And the academy "has taken no action to protect its clients from the sexually assertive or assaultive behaviors of other clients." However the State of Florida DID NOT and WILL NOT pay what is costs to provide the specially trained staff needed to work with these children who have special needs. Instead the State of Florida, as guardians of many of the residents of Tampa Bay Academy, nickels and dimes these types of treatment centers to death. Many of the kids in TBA are foster care children and AHCA along with the State of Florida won't pay what it cost to provide a safe enviroment for the child and the staff. Instead they are paying Medicaid, AHCA, The For Profit Insurance Company managing the money, along with local mental health officals to stop admissions or discharge kids because they "have reached treatment benefits." Many of the children discharged are discharged against the advice and of the proffessionals treating the children. Also the State officials make the decisions to pay for treatment of these children have NO training in Mental Health, Sexual Abuse Treatment, Foster Care, Trauma Recovery or Substance Abuse. The State and Insurance officals are pulling kids out of treamtment and putting them back in the community to prey on kids that don't stand a chance against these types of children. Not that the kids in State care stood a chance, because the State didn't pay to get them the treatment they needed. As a community of parents, teachers, tax payers we have to stand up and fight ACHA and Medicaid and the State of Florida and demand that these kids get treatment, that the State pays organizations like Tampa Bay Academy what it cost's to treat these severe kids, and that we stop Privitazation and make the State of Florida own up to their responsibility for these children. It's time to charge the State of Florida with Child Abuse!

Parents in the Tampa Bay area should look out, the State is releasing kids into your neighborhood and schools that are dangerous! Not because the kids are better, because the State of Florida doesn't want to pay treatment centers like TBA what it really costs to treat these kids. Now they are closing TBA so now they don't have treatment centers and now they don't have to look for this type of care. As a professional I say we should demand that State of Florida be charge with Child Abuse for everyone of the children they WON'T pay what it costs to treat these children, instead they just discharge them into the community.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
So after all this went down, how and when did this place reopen?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
DCF Found Same Problems At Tampa Bay Academy in 2005
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
So after all this went down, how and when did this place reopen?
Ahhh... bear with me for a bit.  :D

I shall tell that story, but in some accordance with the sequential revelations brought about by reporter Adam Emerson. Here is another of his articles, about a week later:

DCF Found Same Problems At Tampa Bay Academy in 2005
By ADAM EMERSON | The Tampa Tribune
Published: December 29, 2008
Updated: 12/29/2008 11:08 pm

DCF officials at one point prohibited the children's mental health center from admitting patients.

RIVERVIEW - Three years ago, the Department of Children and & Families found many of the same problems at the Tampa Bay Academy that other state regulators found this month: Iinadequate staffing, abuse complaints and an alleged sexual assault.

Today, the state wants to shut down the academy's mental health center. In 2005, the academy faced similar threats as DCF officials prohibited it from admitting new patients, according to records obtained by The Tampa Tribune.

There wasn't enough staff to protect the ones patients they had, DCF officials said then.

A dearth of qualified employees made it easier for one male worker to creep into an area housing female patients without detection and sexually assault a young girl, DCF officials said.

Letters from DCF lawyers show the academy further angered state officials by waiting days to report the incident to law enforcement.

"It has reached the point that the department has lost confidence in Tampa Bay Academy's ability to protect the health and safety of the clients we entrust to your care," DCF officials wrote to corporate managers of the for-profit mental health center in 2005.

Within weeks, the academy's long-serving administrator resigned and its corporate parent hired the additional staff members the state demanded. DCF officials, satisfied with the results during subsequent inspections, let the company resume admitting patients.

But many of the problems one state agency unearthed three years ago are the same being investigated now by have come full circle to another.

Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration, which now regulates the Tampa Bay Academy, moved this month to suspend the mental health center's license. Agency officials noted that children and teenagers there lived in "substandard conditions," which investigators found after acting on an anonymous tip.

Allegations Have Similarities

The academy is appealing the order, but on Monday, the Second District Court of Appeal denied its emergency request to stop the state from seizing its license. Academy executives declined to comment on DCF's allegations from three years ago.

In its Dec. 11 order to shut down the academy, Health Care Administration officials wrote that managers at the mental health center "failed to take actions to protect its clients from known and obvious dangerous behaviors."

Inspectors had found evidence that residents sexually preyed on workers and on each other — all made easier by under the failures of a poorly trained and equipped staff.

When asked whether the Health Care Administration knew of the issues DCF uncovered, spokeswoman Shelisha Durden said in an e-mail, "We would not have had any way of knowing about any problems before we took over the licensure of this facility." The administration took control of the academy's license in July 2006.

*The administration recently ordered the removal of 54 children and teenagers from the academy's residential treatment program by Jan. 9 and, as DCF did three years ago, stopped the admission of new patients.

Regulators said the academy had its chances to correct problems. Letters and e-mail the Tribune received through the state's open records law show the Department of Children and & Families told the academy as long ago as 2004 that it lacked enough staff.

Department chiefs also noted at the time then that the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office received an "excessive" number of calls alleging abuse and neglect at the academy. They also said that many patients escaped from what was supposed to be close supervision.

In response, the academy's then-executive director then, Ed Hoefle, said his staff investigated abuse claims and found no merit to them. He also said he added workers to his staff to keep patients from wandering off grounds.

By late 2005, though, state officials expressed frustration with the academy's foot-dragging toward long-term fixes.

Neither the academy's residential treatment center nor its group therapy homes maintained "acceptable staffing levels," DCF officials wrote. By Oct. 15, 2005, that lack of supervision led to an alleged sexual assault, officials said.

"Inadequate and inappropriate staffing … permitted a young male employee to be alone in the presence of female clients," regulators wrote to executives of Youth and Family Centered Services Inc. in Austin, Texas, which owns the Tampa Bay Academy.

Past Supervisory Failures

Another child witnessed the worker molesting a girl, according to e-mail among DCF officials. Administrators at the academy, however, didn't call law enforcement immediately.

DCF officials wrote that one director at the academy chose, "in her own words, to 'wait until Monday' (two days later)" to report the incident. The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office had no information Monday regarding its investigation of the case.

The department didn't suspend the academy's license, but kept it from admitting new residents, many of whom provide the for-profit academy with revenue from Medicaid reimbursements and insurance payments, among other sources.

Around the time DCF took action, the Tampa Bay Academy reported net revenue of $15.4 million, which exceeded its total spending of $14.3 million.

Hoefle eventually resigned and the academy overhauled the way it staffed its treatment center. DCF officials spent the fall and early winter conducting weekly inspections and were pleased with the changes managers made.

In January 2006, the department allowed the academy to resume admitting patients. By the following May, just before it transferred oversight to the Agency for Health Care Administration, DCF renewed the academy's license for one more year.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
COMMENTS for "DCF Found Same Problems ... in 2005"
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
Comments for the above article, "DCF Found Same Problems At Tampa Bay Academy in 2005" (by Adam Emerson, The Tampa Tribune; Dec. 29, 2008):

Posted by ( Whackamole ) on 12/29/2008 at 08:54 pm.
    Patients preying on each other is no surprise at all. The facility is designed such that the staff stations open on either side to long hallways. There is no way to tell what is going in each patient bedroom (2 to a room, BTW) without constantly pacing the halls.

Guess the "pod" design hadn't yet become popular when TBA was built in the late 80's.
Posted by ( Mr_Verloc ) on 12/29/2008 at 09:27 pm.
    Inspectors say residents sexually preyed on workers and on one another, and a poorly equipped staff did little to stop them. If an appeals court denied a request to close this institution, then the Agency for Health Care Administration failed to prove sexual abuse, if there was any, to begin with. The Tampa Tribune says it has found proof of sexual abuse, and if that is true, they have a duty to present that evidence in the form of a complaint to the State Attorney Office. Right now, Tampa Bay Academy denies the accusation against them and an appeals court agrees with them. So, who are you going to believe, The Department of Children and Families, who have a poor record of flat out apathy, and The Tampa Tribune, who say they have proof of misdeeds and that proof was dismissed by an appeals court. Or an appeals court who say nothing is wrong!
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/29/2008 at 09:42 pm.
    Um, Mr_Verlock, the appeals court denied the request of the Academy to stop the removal of the children. They did not clear the Academy of any wrong doing.
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/29/2008 at 09:52 pm.
    If the facility was found to be unsafe in 2005, they apparently corrected those specific issues and this is a completely seperate issue. Three years is a very long time and it appears that they have changed their directors, and staffing has changed. The Tampa Tribune seems to be on a witch hunt and are digging up old news to create a news story. As for adolescent children walking away from the campus, I understand that the facility is unlocked. This is not a detention center, nor is it an acute care facility. If the staff were to physically restrain these children that attempted to leave the facility they would be charged with using excessive force. It is time for the State of Florida to get control of the parents of the kids in these programs, begin locking up the ones that need that level of supervision, and stop placing acute level kids in an unlocked residential facility. And by the number of current and former staff members that are posting on here when a TBA story pops up, it appears that they are hiring a bunch of cry babies that do not get to work on time, and feel that they are entitled to a job as opposed to having to earn it and perform in their duties.
Posted by ( bohica75 ) on 12/29/2008 at 10:15 pm.
    All I know is a friend of mine who was one of the psycologists on staff was stabbed in the head with a pencil during a group therapy thing. That woulda been my que to look into a private practice situation! Maybe even AA or someting along those lines. Those folks atleast seem content with only hurtin themselves.
Posted by ( Joygirl1 ) on 12/29/2008 at 11:06 pm.
    Most of the staff at these facilties get paid minimum wage or slightly above. I worked at a similar facility and it was a joke. Its all money, money! Its either Insurance or state funds, once you max out your money, you're gone, even if you need more help. The ones that really care leave, due to frustration with the system or the facility policies.
Posted by ( Mr_Verloc ) on 12/30/2008 at 01:00 am.
    MyThoughtsToday . . . agree, but I understand the appeals court dismissed Tampa Tribune and DCF request to shut down the Acadamy on the grounds of sexual abuse; the appeals court dismissed that. There are certain buzz words when hurled at anyone, are extremely hard to defend against. One of those is sexual abuse of a child. I say, execute anyone found guilty of hurting a child. When a business, however, deems it necessary to start flinging mud about just to make money, then we have a safeguard: the appeals court. The appeals court ruled, today, nothing is wrong with the Acadamy and they can remain open, business as usual.
Posted by ( MRFRED ) on 12/30/2008 at 05:32 am.
    If DCF is involved in its operation that answers the questions regarding the operation of the facility.
Posted by ( kimbo ) on 12/30/2008 at 06:17 am.
    My trust of DCF to tell the truth is zero. I have been their when they lied to the judge and got away with it.
Posted by ( Stardog ) on 12/30/2008 at 07:46 am.
    MRFRED,you hit the nail on the head!

I have met and observed DCF staff out in the field and was surprized that neither seemed,at all,to have a college background.When questioned about something outside of their job description they were baffled.When asked if they saw the connection between the "percieved" problems in the house and a lack of money their faces went blank.When asked if they had a liason between them and child support their faces went blank.

I also found out that child support does not visit the home.The client must go downtown in order for a sitdown.I think this practice is used to keep DCF at arms length to shield them.In fact self-preservation is job one down there.

I know that a continuing number of former foster children who age out of the system without ever being placed will come back and sue.The Tribune exposed this years ago with the story of a young woman.The suit is always settled out of court.
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/30/2008 at 07:48 am.
    Mr_Verloc Please tell me where you got your information about the appeals court ruling that the Academy can stay open. This article does not say that. It says that the court denied TBA's request to stop ACHA from taking it's license.
Posted by ( jayjon ) on 12/30/2008 at 08:05 am.
    Think about this: If DCF say's it's bad, then it must be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BAD... DCF has a hard time keeping track of children, no less over seeing a childrens home.
Posted by ( Momto3 ) on 12/30/2008 at 08:15 am.
    I agree. I know someone who works for a DCF-type agency in another state (one with a far better record than Florida). Those casewrokers are so overloaded, only the most egregious cases are handled thoroughly and vigorously. If Tampa area residents haven't learned anything from recent news events, they should take heed: Where there is smoke, there is fire. Period.
Posted by ( squirrelman ) on 12/30/2008 at 08:25 am.
    those people r stupid
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/30/2008 at 09:54 am.
    It is a good thing that the economy is doing so well, and that there is not a war in the Gaza Strip, and that there is not the most historical presidential inauguration in history about to happen, and that the auto industry is doing so well, and that we are not in the midst of our own war in 2 countries, and that we are not in the deepest recession since the Great Depression. I mean if any of those things were going on, a reporter would not be able to spend all of his time uncovering public records for a story that is old and irrelevant since the facility is closing it's doors. Great job exposing those public records Mr. Emerson. I am so glad that a facility that has probably helped thousands of kids and their families makes the front page of the Trib for a 10 year old mental health patient touching a woman's breast, and adolescents that are also mental health patients that are placed in an UNLOCKED residential program are wanting to run away and fight. I would imagine that if a child physically assaults a staff they would be arrested and put in juvenile detention and not returned to this UNLOCKED facility. Let's research that Mr. Emerson. Let us find out what happens to these kids if they are charged with assaulting a staff member. Are they detained or are they immediately returned to where they committed their crime? Let's do some true investigative reporting for a change, instead of pretending to work hard by looking at public records. Let's find out what happens to these kids once they are charged with a crime. Let's find out what type of kids are being sent to places like this (UNLOCKED FACILITIES) that in reality need a locked facility. Let's get a little dirty in your work and dig something up that means something.
Posted by ( tampabayone ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:06 am.
    I'm not shocked by this ordeal at all. This kind of matter has been circulating for a while. The staff are sleeping around with one another. There are some major issues going on at that facility. Supervisors and therapists are sleeping around with one another. Group Advisors are fooling around with other staff and children (patients).I know some staff are being investigated also. This is a sad story.
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:51 am.
    tampabayone, I worked at Burger King and people slept around with each other, police departments have that same issue. Hospitals, professional sports teams, law offices. I currently work in a high end business setting and it happens here too. Everywhere you go people are sleeping around with each other. That part of your comment is irrelevant. Now, if there are staff members sleeping with students then you are an idiot for not reporting it or not stopping it. You are as much a criminal as the person doing it. Stand up and be heard you fool. If I worked there and saw that happen, I would be arrested for assault. It is people like you that cause faclities like this to fail. You sit there and do nothing when you see something wrong happen. Shame on you.
Posted by ( tampabayone ) on 12/30/2008 at 11:55 am.
    Thoughts for today: This issue seems personal with you. It seems like you are aware of a lot that's going on with that facility. Are you an employee at Tampa Bay Academy. You are responding to a lot of the comments.
Posted by ( FessUp ) on 12/30/2008 at 03:25 pm.
    Thoughtless-You know way too much about the situation, sounds like you might be losing your job at TBA?

BTW, Congrats on graduating from the BK gig.
Posted by ( WatchfulJustice ) on 12/30/2008 at 06:16 pm.
    I feel really sorry for the children who are put in this facility, or any facility where their mental health will never change because of their environment, and because of the staff being so unprofessional. These children have been through a lot, and none of you know what these children suffer at the hands of people who are unqualified, and people who do not care.

I am so glad that this facility will be shut down, and I know that God will judge all who have abused these children, and who have abused their power in their positions to make life harder for these patients. A lot of these types of places are bad like this one. I hope all these children get a chance in life, somehow. Don't judge those who are there, they did not ask to have the parents that they have, or to be dumped somewhere.
Posted by ( WatchfulJustice ) on 12/30/2008 at 06:18 pm.
    Emerson, thank you for making the public aware of what is going on. Good job. Keep reporting, and informing.
Posted by ( RiverviewRaysfan ) on 12/30/2008 at 07:12 pm.
    TBA DISPLAYS FURTHER INCOMPETENCE IN THE FACE OF CHARGES!!!!!!!!!!

Less then two weeks after being reassured by the administration that staff would not be layed off as representatives from YFCS appealed the emergency suspension of the license, TBA has decided it is in the best interest of the facility to lay-off practically all of the direct care staff. The decision to place more then 100 people out of work comes as a complete shock to individuals like myself who were promised that through the investigation, "nobody would loose their jobs". This came as a complete shock to staff as many of us were not given any type of notice from TBA that they would be loosing their primary source of income, instead many of the staff recieved impromtu phone calls telling them that they had been laid off, and dont come back to work. Two weeks ago management talked about a plan to fight these charges, as well as provide further training to staff. There was a plan. They made us believe that the children, as well as the staff were in their "best interests". Instead, the same day that they loose the appeal they immpulsively decide to gamble with the future of the staff and the patients. Is laying off the majority of the staff instead of developing a stronger core of values, and further training, and reassuring the community, trully a sign of progress? Its easy to see why TBA would loose the appeal. They do not deserve to get the kids back. Rather then keep an employee base of trained staff, many with several years of dedication and expereince to the make the improvements necessary in order to reassure the state that further incidents do not happen, management decides to "gamble" by laying off staff in hopes that they will return in a month or so, when they believe they will be allowed to start admitting children again. Two of the greatest problems at TBA is high turnover, and unprofessional staff. Does letting go of what qualified staff you do have seem like a rational decision? Does TBA expect its employees to simply sit around and wait for the phone to ring, when they say, "OK come on back". Whatever staffing issues that TBA had before this current crisis happened, will only become more severe. I am sure most of us will come back, but there will be trully wonderful, devoted, caring workers, who did make a difference, who decide it is not in their best interest to come back, much the way TBA decided it was in their best interest to let us go. Its obvious that through this entire situation, the only thing that matters to TBA, and YFCS, is what is it going to cost, to put this behind us. Are we suppsoed to tell the children and families we serve that we are serving their" best interests" by laying off the majority of the staff while dealing with this crisis? I understand that "for profit" means exactly what it says, but at what cost should it be to remain "for profit"?
Posted by ( bohica75 ) on 12/30/2008 at 08:24 pm.
    I think that was the longest post I have ever seen.
Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/30/2008 at 08:28 pm.
    Some of you have asked so I will tell you that I dedcated many many years of my life working at this facility, and in other programs in the area. These children are placed in Tampa Bay Academy because they are victims of physical, emotional and sexual abuse. Many of them at the hands of their own parents. Many of them have no parents and find very little hope to work towards. For the most part, this facility has been known as a wonderful, nurturing, safe place for children. A lot has changed over the years and a lot of it has to do with the quality of staff that are interested in working with this type of child. It takes a special person to do that kind of job. It is unfortunate that something like this had to occur to hopefully correct the problem. And people like WatchfulJustice post their comments not having a clue what the issues are. Never having committed your life to the wellbeing of these kids. It is very easy to sit back and read these articles and judge. It is another thing to have lived it.
Posted by ( wuzthere ) on 12/30/2008 at 09:33 pm.
    While there are a fair number of things the management of the Academy needs to be held accountable for, as usual, things are taken out of context, and blown out of proportion, and that is unfortunate. The fault lies in management at the very top who resisted the efforts of management on site to make the changes that needed to be made. It is sad for the staff, who, for the most part are caring, genuine people who want to help. There are better ways to make $9.00 an hour than to get kicked, bit, spit on and verbally abused by out of control children that the state of Florida refuses to adequately fund for treatment. The therapists and other professional staff try their best but aren't given the support, tools and backing from administration and are expected to work ungodly hours with inadequate resources. Many of us who left there, left with mixed feelings of relief and sadness due to the potential there was of that facility. I hope it can be turned around. A well-run facility is sorely needed here.
Posted by ( catloverintampa ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:14 pm.
    riverviewraysfan...this is another example of the incompetent direct care staff that you call them that work at Tampa Bay Academy, not the management. How could you be shocked? Are you that stupid? No kids, no money equal no staff. Maybe you should go back to McDonald's or picking up trash in your orange jumpsuit. Thank you mythoughtsfortheday for helping us understand the truth about what this company is trying to do.
Posted by ( RiverviewRaysfan ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:17 pm.
    I agree with a lot of the points in the previous post. (wuzthere). A big problem at TBA, and a lot of facilties today is the belief that providing the medication that these children need is seen as a "restraint". Nurses at TBA are afraid to medicate these children out of fear of reprecutions, or even loosing their job. I watched a child go off one night for over 5 hours and the nurse refused to medicate him because she did not want to call the doctor to get the order, to give the child what he needed to help calm down. These children are there because the have an illness. The medication helps them return to a state where they can process and exhibit productive behaviors. Denying medication and treatment to these children, especially when they are in a facility to receieve care, is a form of neglect. Unfortunately, society, and other entities such as healthcare licensing agencies, have pushed facilities toward a "restraint free" enviornment, but there comes a point where a medical professional such as a Registered Nurse has to be able to recognize that a patient needs more help then just trying to verbally intervene. Another problem at TBA is the lack of consequences for the behavior that a patient exhibits. They have no level system in place for kids to be held accountable for their behaviors. The "big deal" system that they had in place was a joke, but at least it was something. Too often kids would act out, and later that day be off campus on a field trip. So much for accountabilty.
Posted by ( RiverviewRaysfan ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:35 pm.
    (This comment was removed by the site staff.)[/list]
    Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:43 pm.
      RaysFan: TBA has never had a working positive behavior management system in place. Meds, restraints, yelling, humiltiating, so-called "processing" with kids all made up the "behavior management" that I saw at TBA for several years. Not much different than most of the other facilities in the area. The backlash against the use of meds and restraints came about because facilites abused them, TBA included.

Also, RN's typically do not order chemical restraint, whcih is what you are talking about. If the RN's were ordering it w/o a doc, then that's another reason TBA should be scrutinized.

Next, the kid who "went off" for 5 hours? What happened? Kids don't typically "go off" w/o some precipitating event.
    Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:58 pm.
      MyThoughtsForToday:

I have been in the same business as you for a number of years. We have probably crossed paths. I saw many kids released from TBA who were no better than the day they went in; some were worse. I don't doubt that many staff were caring and committed. However, the entire model was built to keep kids sick. From the "processing" to the constant reminders from the staff to the kids that they were sick, to the nearly worthless school prgram, to the the way staff interacted with kids. I feel bad for the kids and the people wh lost jobs, but TBA was about 10 years past being good.
      Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/30/2008 at 11:05 pm.

stratoblaster, I am not sure when you worked there, but when I started there and for the many years I was there, we (as staff members) implemented a comprehensive behavior management system that had rewards and consequences. The kids worked through a level system that rewarded positive behavior and consequenced negative behaior. It was a great success when implemented correctly. Every child there had their own individual treatment plan and we met weekly (doctors, nurses, therapists, and direct care staff) to discuss each individual kids needs and their plan for their behavior management system. Kids were active in groups such as drama club, equestrian club, tennis club, and many other clubs. They held fundraisers for special outings and helped the staff decorate the facility for the holidays and other special times. The kids were encouraged to participate in talent shows, air guitar competitions, and writing competitions. There was a huge production of the musical Grease that saw about a 90% reduction in consequences for the time that the play was in production. Kids put together a TBA newsletter that had articles written by the kids. Now, it was not always great times. Kids in this type of setting are going to act out, they will fight, they will bite, they will kick and scream. We were fully trained in the art of de-escalation and how to physically intervene as a last result. Medications were used on a case by case basis and not every time a kid acted out. The administration and supervisors were direct lines for support and were there when needed. That was my experience for many many years there. I took pride in what the place was. So did all of the people that worked there with me, many of whom I stay in touch with and we all have fond memories of the place we used to work at. What it is like today I do not know. I read these articles and I can judge based on what they say that a lot has changed. I can see how the staff talk on this site and see that the quality of staffing has changed. I know that it is wrong to say things like they have never had a behavior management program, and the place has always been bad. Those statements are 100% false. TBA is in a situation now that they must make changes or close their doors forever. I hope that they make those changes. The state is running out of place to put these types of kids.
    Posted by ( RiverviewRaysfan ) on 12/30/2008 at 11:16 pm.
      (stratoblaster)

The Pysch nurses that I have worked with over the years, were never afraid to call in an order. I know they have to have a DR. order to give the medication. The situation that I spoke about with this particular child, it involved trying to reason with this child why he could not stand on a table, trying to break a light cover. When we wanted to take the child down from the table, the nurse interviened and refused to let staff place the child into a theraputic hold, to deter the behavior. Her response when asked about getting an order was, " I dont want to wake the Doctor". If you cant provide the appropriate treatment that these children need at that given moment, then maybe you need to go push a med cart in a nursing home. I know there were other nurses at TBA that were not afraid to make decisions, including knowing when to interviene, however you cant provide appropriate treatment, if your afraid to do your job.
    Posted by ( RiverviewRaysfan ) on 12/30/2008 at 11:39 pm.
      My thoughts today

The comments in your previous post point out the success that having productive theraputic activities have. I am sure when you were at TBA the employees took a lot of pride in working there, as well as, the progress with the children. Unfortunately, over time those same programs were phased out. There are still some wonderful staff that do their best to provide a positive enviornment for these kids but lack of resources provided to them, and the abolishment of any type of consequence, gave these kids very little reason to have accountability for their behaviors. Why dont you consider coming back to TBA, when they eventually reopen the doors to the RTC. It sounds like your experience and knowledge could be a great resource to the young staff to provide a more productve enviornment. I do agree with you though that some changes need to be made in the selection of potential candidates to work in direct care with these kids. The dress code, cell phones, staff taking the kids Ipods home to put music on them, staff bringing in inappropriate movies, all caused by having an open door policy of hiring basically anything that walks through the front door. Yes, these are common sense issues that should not even be issues, but its important to have a code of professional conduct in place, and for it to be enforced by all staff, more specifically the supervisors.
    Posted by ( happiness2005 ) on 12/31/2008 at 12:08 am.
      I'm in the medical field and have had occasional contact with TBA. I always found it sad and a bit frustrating when seeing these residents as patients. These children would arrive with a "transporter" who knew no medical history. They were having a 10 year old fill out forms regarding medical history that a lot of adults struggle to fill out completly and accurately. The RN at TBA wasn't able contribute much more! When asked to sign the consent for treatment forms, the "transporter" refused to sign or would only sign TBA. The part that really upset me though, made me feel so sad for these kids, I had to contact one childs mother who lives out of state to have her fax a consent for treatment form (which I would think TBA would have authority to consent but they had no form on file), I asked for his medical history. His own mom had no idea. This poor kid had been shuffled between so many relatives, his own mother didn't know whether he even has asthma. I have worked with children with an array of special needs and have a family member with Downs. I know that caring for them can be trying and I'm not speaking badly of these parents. I'm glad that they were trying to help their children and hoping that TBA would be the place to help them. I hope for these kids sake that there is a resolution for them. No offense to any of the workers there, but you can find a job somewhere else. These kids are going to struggle with their new environment. I just worry that they feel like they are just being shuffled again.
    Posted by ( wuzthere ) on 12/31/2008 at 06:53 am.
      The "old days of producing plays like Grease" were way before my time in 2005. While I was there, it was a fight to get money allocated for patient activity money even for basic supplies like art supplies or games. There was no transparency with the budget and even managers didn't know what they had to spend. It was tightly controlled from YFCS. My opinion is that the problems with TBA are symptomatic of the problems the state of Florida has all over re; prevention and treatment of mental health for both children and adults. I guess that happens when you are 48th in the country in providing dollars for mental health and the general philosophy is that privatization is good, and for-profit agencies will do it better.
    Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 12/31/2008 at 08:15 am.
      If I can walk into a facility and watch staff argue back and forth w/a kid while the kid is being out into "time out" and then have the staff tell me, "We're supposed to 'process' with them," to explain why they were arguing with the kid, then I know the behavior management system is not "comprhensive." If staff are taught that the word "consequence" refers only to punishment, then I know that the training is inadequate. If restraints and so-called therapeutic holds don't decrease after training in "de-esacalation" then whatever was trained didn't work very well. Look, I know RTC's are tough going, and I know that many staff people are caring and kind, but again, for $200 to $300 dollars a day PER BED outcomes ought to be better. TBA's problem 10 plus years ago was that clinical and management staff thought that they were the pinnacle and could do no wrong in their respective areas, thus ignoring new approaches until they were forced to half-a!# their way through.
    Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/31/2008 at 10:55 am.
      stratoblaster, I wish I knew who you were, because it sounds like we may have worked there at the same time. And our views of how the facility operated are completely different. I respect your opinion, but strongly disagree with it. I am close friends with at least 10 people that worked there at the same time, some of whom were in management, others were therapists, and most were direct care staff. All of us remember a solid behavior management program that we saw as mostly successful. It sounds like perhaps you were in the minority and perhaps that is why you felt that the program was not successful. I know that there not so great times there, but overall it was a good place for kids and a good place to work.
    Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/31/2008 at 11:24 am.
      wuzthere, Well said. I am sure that times did change. You made mention of for profit organizations. I know a lot about the not for profit organizations that are out there, and I think it is important for you to understand the difference. There are 3 other "non-profit" facilities out there. Those facilities had the land donated for their facilities, get not for profit tax exemptions, are allowed to raise hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars to support their "non-profit" organization. They get a lot of donations of supplies. Yet, their rates for the state to place a child with them are the same or even higher than TBA. TBA gets no freebies, no tax breaks, and had to buy their land and invest the money to build the land. Today, the land was sold by a previous ownership group to and YFCS has to lease the land from the current owners. Where does all of this money go that the non-profits are getting. Well, I have seen one of their corporate headquarters in Orlando. It is easy to see where their money goes. Why is Mr. Emerson not writing about the fleecing of Florida tax dollars. Well, because words like sexual assault and abuse makes for a better story. But you are correct, while $200-$300 a day sounds like a tremendous amount of money, when you consider the number of staff, nurses, psychiatrists, medical records staff, RT staff, billing staff, business office staff, HR staff, admissions and case management staff, therapists, housekeeping, maintenance, kitchen staff, supervisors, electric, water, trash, phone, internet, and cable. $300 a day barely covers those expenses. And I would guess it does not cover those expenses unless they maintain a certain number of clients. Hope this helps.
    Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/31/2008 at 11:29 am.
      Oh, and I would go back to TBA, but they could not afford me anymore. I did my years of investing my time into children, now I must invest my time for my family. If I could make the same money that I do in my current job, I would go back. I miss the kids.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Tampa Academy Safety Failed Past Evaluations
    « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
    I'm not going to copy out the "companion piece" to the just above article, "DCF Found Same Problems ... in 2005" as -- save for the correction of a typo* -- it is the essentially the same article. Here is the link, however, for what it's worth:

Tampa Academy Safety Failed Past Evaluations
    By ADAM EMERSON [email protected]
    Published: December 30, 2008

* Corrected paragraph now reads:
      "But many of the problems one state agency unearthed three years ago are similar to those being investigated now by another."[/list][/size]

Comments for this article:

Posted by ( stratoblaster ) on 12/30/2008 at 02:43 pm.
        How many kids who go into these places come out any better than when they went in? Not many, I'd bet.

It'd be great to aske a couple of them what it was like inside.
      Posted by ( MyThoughtsToday ) on 12/30/2008 at 10:45 pm.
        stratoblaster, you can ask me. I received phone calls while I worked there for many years from many of the students that I worked with. Some calling for suport, others calling to update me on their success in school, or continuing on to college after leaving the school. I have seen many in the community with their families that come up and hug me. So, not sure if that is the answer you were apparently hoping to get, but it is the truth. And I was one of hundreds of employees, and I am certain that many others got the same phone calls from other students.
      Posted by ( MikeForrest ) on 01/01/2009 at 02:51 am.
        Tampa Bay Academy just laid off about 150 people today. This is truly sad, because these are dedicated, loving, and hard-working folks who care about the kids. Most of them weren't around in 2005 when the alleged assault occurred. In fact, a recent upper management change was starting to make very positive improvements. Remember, the current crisis started when a 10 year old boy fondled a female employee. Now, that boy has been transferred to a different facility, and that staff member (along with 149 others) is unemployed. Seems the State has lost all sense of humanity by exacerbating the problem and ignoring the needs of the child and the staff.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      A Mental Health Center in Turmoil
      « Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 02:36:34 PM »
      A summary of recent events, put into context (no comments posted thus far):

A Mental Health Center in Turmoil
      The Tampa Tribune
      Published: December 30, 2008

PAST AND PRESENT

• In late 2005, the Department of Children & Families stopped Tampa Bay Academy from admitting new patients after finding inadequate staffing, abuse complaints and an alleged sexual assault. DCF renewed the academy's license after subsequent inspections.
      • Two weeks ago, the Agency for Health Care Administration, which now has oversight, ordered the removal of 54 children and teenagers from the children's mental health center. Inspectors say residents sexually preyed on workers and on one another, and a poorly equipped staff did little to stop them.
      • The academy disputes the allegations of sexual assault and denies it has exposed children to danger. It has appealed the state's order to suspend its license, but an appeals court on Monday denied its emergency request to halt the suspension before it takes effect Jan. 9.