Author Topic: Mount Bachelor Academy Shut Down  (Read 36200 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Mount Bachelor Academy Shut Down
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
But what about after they allowed this to happen (because Aspen schools are so unsafe) that they covered up the rape? How is not reporting a child rape "keeping the kids safe"?  That's perverse.  

You'll have to explain that to those of us who aren't mentally ill.

How can anyone possibly know if you are mentally ill or not?  That doesnt make any sense.  The posts should be addressed assuming that everyone has a normal level of comprehension.  It is impossible to adjust them for every possible disorder.  

If Aspen knowingly allowed this to happen then this will come out in the released documents

I understand it is unclear whether or not this rape occured on campus, as the guest mentioned.  But I dont think this is a reason to start having the kids fenced in.  Putting up fences isnt going to resolve this type of thing.  If a child is going to have sex with another child or rape another child there is not much people can do about it unless all the kids are kept in separate areas or isolation, which would not be a good decision.  I think the major problem was with the lack of reporting and MBA should have their feet held to the fire over it.
It will be interesting to see how this is addressed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »
I understand it is unclear whether or not this rape occured on campus, as the guest mentioned. But I dont think this is a reason to start having the kids fenced in. Putting up fences isnt going to resolve this type of thing. If a child is going to have sex with another child or rape another child there is not much people can do about it unless all the kids are kept in separate areas or isolation, which would not be a good decision. I think the major problem was with the lack of reporting and MBA should have their feet held to the fire over it.
It will be interesting to see how this is addressed.
This particular situation has nothing to do with whether MBA should have had fences or not, and very little to do with whether this rape occurred off-campus or on.

The kid who was raped was enrolled at MBA. MBA had the responsibility, the duty, actually, to act in loco parentis whilst the kid was at MBA.

• The kid was raped whilst at MBA, by another kid also enrolled at MBA.
    MBA failed in its responsibility to act in loco parentis for both kids.
  • MBA had both a moral as well as legal obligation to report this rape. They did not.
    MBA failed in its responsibility to act in loco parentis, as well as to fulfill its legal obligation as a mandated reporter.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2009, 03:32:34 AM »
Quote from: "OliJ"
I cant say anything about MBA being shut down except I went to the school and had a good enough experience and the friends I made are friends for life Like family. Sharon Bitz was my first Mentor at Mount Bachelor and she was and I am sure is a caring person who really helped me. It's sad this is coming down on her she deserves better.

Bravo to you for having the integrity to stand up to these Flamers.

I am the parent of an MBA student. I am not going to engage the narrow-minded, so at the end of what I have to say, feel free to flame away.

First of all the term "substantiated" means nothing more than someone has put forth evidence of a claim. It is not a charge, it is not a fact and it is certainly not proven. To illustrate this point I substantiate that many of the posters to this thread are morons and I cite their posts as evidence. While some of the posters here are apparently intelligent they are misguided. Go ahead and quote the dictionary definition of the word, It doesn't take into account the context in which the word is used. In this case DHS is complaining and ordering corrections. This does not rise to the level of illegal charges. DHS may refer their findings to law enforcement to determine if there is a case, we'll see about that. Beyond that proving harm is another matter, remember defendants in a case have a right to a vigorous defense.

Secondly, just because there are experts who's professional opinion allows them to  claim that the techniques used by the school are harmful doesn't make it so. What is missing in these charges is objective proof. There are just as many experts who, based on their expertise, can claim that there is validity in the therapeutic approach used. It boils down to the argument of clinical basis vs. evidence basis. The problem with doing clinical analysis on the effectiveness of these therapeutic techniques is the need for double blind studies. Can you imagine giving help to one group of troubled teens and withholding it from a control group to measure the techniques effectiveness? (maybe some of you flamers were actually in one of those control groups). The evidence for the effectiveness of the emotional growth workshops is clearly evident to anyone with an open mind.  We as a society are going back to the dark ages when we can't believe what is right before our eyes.

Thirdly, there is no one-size-fits-all treatment. You flamers are objective evidence of that. You clearly were not saved by the programs you went through, I am truly sorry for that. Now, because you weren't helped you want bring down those institutions. You appear to be obsessed with being obsessed. One good thing that can be said on your behalf is that you have found a cause to believe in, too bad it's not a productive cause.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
Hey, Asshole, let's start with a proven event.  A little girl was RAPED on the MBA campus.  This CHILD RAPE was not reported to the authorities.  Let's just begin here and I will dismantle the rest of you weak and pathetic argument later.  Explain how not reporting CHILD RAPES of kids in their custody makes MBA a safe place for kids.  Explain that one to me and we can then begin the examination of the rest of your nonsense.  I'd like to see you justify the raping of children in Aspen's care.  

If there were NOTHING else wrong, this alone is enough to shut their doors, but, as we all know, there is much, much more.  Was your daughter one of the minor females forced to lap dance and perform simulated felatio on her counselor?  Do you consider this sick pedophile behavior part of MBA's excellent treatment plan?  Oh, wait, they had no treatment plans.  They were cited for that, too.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2009, 08:41:49 AM »
I cant say anything about MBA being shut down except I went to the school and had a good enough experience and the friends I made are friends for life Like family. Sharon Bitz was my first Mentor at Mount Bachelor and she was and I am sure is a caring person who really helped me. It's sad this is coming down on her she deserves better.

I am the parent of an MBA student. I am not going to engage the narrow-minded, so at the end of what I have to say, feel free to flame away.

First of all the term "substantiated" means nothing more than someone has put forth evidence of a claim. It is not a charge, it is not a fact and it is certainly not proven. To illustrate this point I substantiate that many of the posters to this thread are morons and I cite their posts as evidence. While some of the posters here are apparently intelligent they are misguided. Go ahead and quote the dictionary definition of the word, It doesn't take into account the context in which the word is used. In this case DHS is complaining and ordering corrections. This does not rise to the level of illegal charges. DHS may refer their findings to law enforcement to determine if there is a case, we'll see about that. Beyond that proving harm is another matter, remember defendants in a case have a right to a vigorous defense.

Secondly, just because there are experts who's professional opinion allows them to  claim that the techniques used by the school are harmful doesn't make it so. What is missing in these charges is objective proof. There are just as many experts who, based on their expertise, can claim that there is validity in the therapeutic approach used. It boils down to the argument of clinical basis vs. evidence basis. The problem with doing clinical analysis on the effectiveness of these therapeutic techniques is the need for double blind studies. Can you imagine giving help to one group of troubled teens and withholding it from a control group to measure the techniques effectiveness? (maybe some of you flamers were actually in one of those control groups). The evidence for the effectiveness of the emotional growth workshops is clearly evident to anyone with an open mind.  We as a society are going back to the dark ages when we can't believe what is right before our eyes.

Thirdly, there is no one-size-fits-all treatment. You flamers are objective evidence of that. You clearly were not saved by the programs you went through, I am truly sorry for that. Now, because you weren't helped you want bring down those institutions. You appear to be obsessed with being obsessed. One good thing that can be said on your behalf is that you have found a cause to believe in, too bad it's not a productive cause.

You made some good points, guest, Some people like to play judge and jury here and jump to conclusions before the investigation is completed.  Noone has been found guilty of anything.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »
Hey, Asshole, let's start with a proven event.  A little girl was RAPED on the MBA campus.  This CHILD RAPE was not reported to the authorities.  Let's just begin here and I will dismantle the rest of you weak and pathetic argument later.  Explain how not reporting CHILD RAPES of kids in their custody makes MBA a safe place for kids.  Explain that one to me and we can then begin the examination of the rest of your nonsense.  I'd like to see you justify the raping of children in Aspen's care.  

If there were NOTHING else wrong, this alone is enough to shut their doors, but, as we all know, there is much, much more.  Was your daughter one of the minor females forced to lap dance and perform simulated felatio on her counselor?  Do you consider this sick pedophile behavior part of MBA's excellent treatment plan?  Oh, wait, they had no treatment plans.  They were cited for that, too.

These are great questions about this proven abuse.  I'm not sure if everyone understands this, but this isn't like a courtroom.  It's an oversight investigation and it found lots to worry about.  Whether or not you see criminal convictions of individual employees is not relavent.  What matters is that it was found to be true that Aspen abuses children in its care.  For example, allegations were sustained that children were forced into degrading sexual role play.  This is a fact. It was also shown that children get raped on campus and employees decided they didn't need to report this felony.  This also happens to be a crime, for which you will probably see a conviction.  Nonetheless the investigation findings aren't allegations, they're conclusions.  Allegations spawned the investigation and the investigation found abuse, including felony crimes.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2009, 10:30:12 AM »

Secondly, just because there are experts who's professional opinion allows them to claim that the techniques used by the school are harmful doesn't make it so. What is missing in these charges is objective proof. There are just as many experts who, based on their expertise, can claim that there is validity in the therapeutic approach used. It boils down to the argument of clinical basis vs. evidence basis. The problem with doing clinical analysis on the effectiveness of these therapeutic techniques is the need for double blind studies. Can you imagine giving help to one group of troubled teens and withholding it from a control group to measure the techniques effectiveness? (maybe some of you flamers were actually in one of those control groups). The evidence for the effectiveness of the emotional growth workshops is clearly evident to anyone with an open mind. We as a society are going back to the dark ages when we can't believe what is right before our eyes.

Fair enough, probably the best MBA defense I've seen so far except perhaps for the name calling.

What's not clear is

a. Whether you think that the substantiated claims against the school actually did happen, and you think that because these techniques that the school used that the state cited are actually effective that there shouldn't have been charges in the first place.

b.  Whether you think that the substantiated claims are untrue.

As the previous poster stated, from the Merriam-Webster's - to establish by proof or competent evidence (it's synonym is confirm).  Unless you think DHS is incompetent, then you should believe that the substantiated claims are true.

A rebuttal to two of your points that stand regardless of your answer to the a/b question.  "There is no one-size-fits-all treatment".  I agree.  I believe that was one the things that MBA was cited for.

"You clearly were not saved by the programs you went through".  It the goal of religious institutions, EMT teams, and hospitals to "save", it's the goal of treatment programs to "treat".  

Lastly, the question of effectiveness.  I would argue that having your child on the day of your discharge appearing better than when they left (This is the only finding of the Behrens study, so I don't want to hear it) is not in itself effective treatment.  Do the changes hold over the course of time, or are they just a product of the environment that they were just in, or are they a product of the extended environment of your home until they turn 18.

Fear is an effective tool.  If I fear my parents are going to beat me I will behave.  That is also considered emotional child abuse in most (if not all) states.  When the fear ends whatever changes have taken place also tend to end.

Anyway, before I blather on any further, I do want to hear your perspective on MBA itself.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »

If "narrow minded" = "disagrees with you" and "open minded" = "agrees with you" I don't see why you're even bothering to post.

First of all the term "substantiated" means nothing more than someone has put forth evidence of a claim. It is not a charge, it is not a fact and it is certainly not proven. To illustrate this point I substantiate that many of the posters to this thread are morons and I cite their posts as evidence.

Right, but moron is a matter of opinion, neither true nor false.  The charges leveled against DRA are for the most part statements of fact.

While some of the posters here are apparently intelligent they are misguided. Go ahead and quote the dictionary definition of the word, It doesn't take into account the context in which the word is used. In this case DHS is complaining and ordering corrections. This does not rise to the level of illegal charges. DHS may refer their findings to law enforcement to determine if there is a case, we'll see about that. Beyond that proving harm is another matter, remember defendants in a case have a right to a vigorous defense.

Right and MBA waved that right by deciding to shut down rather than put up a defense.  If they were innocent and these charges were false, why would they do that?  Perhaps because DHS only touched the tip of the iceberg and MBA did not want the full details of their LifeSteps becoming public.

Secondly, just because there are experts who's professional opinion allows them to  claim that the techniques used by the school are harmful doesn't make it so. What is missing in these charges is objective proof. There are just as many experts who, based on their expertise, can claim that there is validity in the therapeutic approach used. It boils down to the argument of clinical basis vs. evidence basis

Right.  Perhaps you could elaborate on this "evidence basis" because other than anecdotal evidence, i've never seen much of anything presented to show these types of program work... not that "working" would make group humiliation ethical...  Or perhaps you can explain to me how "Kelis - Milkshake", a song about hand jobs, and a french maids outfit fit into a legitimate therapeutic context.  Maybe Aspen opted to shut MBA down rather than bother with the sheer embarrassment of explaining that one in court.

The problem with doing clinical analysis on the effectiveness of these therapeutic techniques is the need for double blind studies. Can you imagine giving help to one group of troubled teens and withholding it from a control group to measure the techniques effectiveness?

Yes, and it's the only way to do it.  If you read some stanton peele (or other sources), there is ample evidence that the vast majority of teens pull out of problems including drug/alcohol abuse on their own.  In order to prove that MBA works, their success rate would indeed have to beat no treatment at all.

(maybe some of you flamers were actually in one of those control groups). The evidence for the effectiveness of the emotional growth workshops is clearly evident to anyone with an open mind.

Open mind does not mean blind faith.  Do you know the origins of LifeSteps?  Do you know who designed them (it wasn't aspen!), where they came from, where the techniques are derived from, and what they were originally intended to do?  I recommend doing you own research into that unless you're afraid of what you might find.

We as a society are going back to the dark ages when we can't believe what is right before our eyes.

Thirdly, there is no one-size-fits-all treatment. You flamers are objective evidence of that. You clearly were not saved by the programs you went through, I am truly sorry for that. Now, because you weren't helped you want bring down those institutions.

I, for one, didn't need help.  I was not broken before the program.  Please bother to get to know me or some of the other posters before throwing around blind accusations that we are somehow "troubled'.  It makes it seem like you believe that everybody who had a bad experience in a program was somehow at fault for it or is somehow wrong for deciding to speak out about it so it doesn't happen to others.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »
If you want to have some fun pissing off people from MBA, start posting on this Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 418&ref=mf

It's a petition to save MBA filled with testimony about how it "saved peoples lives."

Enjoy being insulted and ridiculed by every brainwashed mind there. I love internet activism.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »
Psy wrote:
Right and MBA waved that right by deciding to shut down rather than put up a defense. If they were innocent and these charges were false, why would they do that? Perhaps because DHS only touched the tip of the iceberg and MBA did not want the full details of their LifeSteps becoming public.

This is a good point.

MBA didn't fail to put up a defense because of money. Using Aspen's own revenue numbers from the CRC annual report:
88 students x $233.80 per day/per child profit x 365 per year = $7,509,656 profit per year from Mount Bachelor Academy alone.

$7.5 million is more than enough to pay to defend this "evidence-based" program. So if not legally defensible, Psy's view that they do not want the full details of LifeSteps (a.k.a. "Transitions") revealed to the public is logical.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2009, 10:03:19 AM »
A couple of thoughts
I think it goes beyond that.   Businesses find opportunity in every crisis.  We are not in the best economic times and most businesses are looking for ways to reduce costs.  Aspen has 1 year, 5 year and 10 year plans which includes expansion and opening up new programs.  So they have growth on the table and now they have a program which has been crippled.

They could cut costs by just cutting MBA loose for a few reasons I can think of:

1)Oregon isn’t friendly anymore.

2)There will be increased costs in starting MBA back up.

3)MBA’s reputation (name) has taken a hit so they would have to lower their price to fill the same number of beds until they regained their reputation.

4)They would benefit because they would not have to incur the cost to pay their employees severance, unemployment and all contracts with employees would be void because the state shut them down (they had no control), so therefore they are not responsible.  The state of Oregon will pay for the 77 people out of work and loss in taxes and revenue.  Say the average employee makes $50,000 that’s over $30,000 a month aspen will save in salary cost, plus they may not have to refund the families because the state never gave them enough notice to close down properly.

5) Reduce overhead.

So it is probably best to just walk away and take the tax break of losing an appendage rather than throw good money at it with uncertain results.  Plus like everyone else they need to reduce costs anyway.  This would give them the opportunity to move forward earlier on their latest program “Pleasant Valley Academy” in Washington State which has an excellent reputation for therapeutically turning around at-risk youths.  And they have some experienced people looking for work to staff it now.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:47 AM »
Quote from: "Fuck With The System"
If you want to have some fun pissing off people from MBA, start posting on this Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 418&ref=mf

It's a petition to save MBA filled with testimony about how it "saved peoples lives."

Enjoy being insulted and ridiculed by every brainwashed mind there. I love internet activism.

Not much point.  In order to post in that group you have to join (sign the petition, in other words). Furthermore, the group leader has made it clear that posts criticizing MBA will be deleted:

Quote from: "Sarah Woods"
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT!!! The comments of those that are obviously confused or choosing to be ignorant of the purpose of our site will be removed. I can already hear the wah wah wah's of how we are bias, how we are one sided, yes. We are one sided. The side that chooses to focus on the positive. So if you are not going to learn how to read first of all the obvious title of our site, go somewhere else. This is effective now.

I love how they redefine the terms "positive" and "negative".  "Positive" means in support of the program and "negative" means criticizing the program.  "Focusing on the positive" basically means "praising the holy program".

There is a more neutral group here allowing both criticism and praise of MBA:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2317447731&ref=mf
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
Another way to help clarify my thoughts:

Lets say that “Big Al’s Daycare and Towing service” ( a local business model that found success because Big Al would pick-up and drop off the kids) was shut down for abuse, due to reports that children were seen playing on the edges of major highways in the area and also were present at the scenes of major car accidents on a daily basis.  After 6 months (and $300,000 in legal costs) Big Al successfully argued that he technically never broke any laws because cars naturally break down all the time and parents place their families on the side of the highway at a safe distance, which was what Big Al does so he isn’t placing the kids at any higher risk than a normal family would.  So all charges were dropped.    

The problem is that people will remember the Name “Big Al” associated with “abuse” and therefore his business will be permanently damaged.  Big Al’s only options would be to drop the Daycare from his business model or move to another state where no one associates his name with abuse.  Or he could transfer the daycare portion to his wife and call it “Big Bertha's Daycare and Septic Cleaning” and try to start anew.

Sometimes it is best to stay and fight and others to just move on.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2009, 10:59:52 AM »
From above link: allegedly successful MBA graduate Lauren Ann Hoffman opines:

"Frankly, if girls are sent to mba because they have problems sucking too much dick, then dressing in a french maid costume shouldnt phase them. MBA does everything for a purpose."[/list]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: November 10, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »
    Quote from: "Psy"
    Right and MBA waved that right by deciding to shut down rather than put up a defense. If they were innocent and these charges were false, why would they do that? Perhaps because DHS only touched the tip of the iceberg and MBA did not want the full details of their LifeSteps becoming public.

Yeah, it is very reminiscent of what happened with Whitmore and Cheryl Sudweeks.  Carp and bitch that these people are closing  and not copping to guilt overlooks the fact that no innocent person would buckle and enter a plea bargain to such horrible accusations with their livelihood at stake.  Like Cheryl Sudweeks, MBA is cutting their losses so they can still do business elsewhere rather than face public trial, jail and permanent blackballing.  You're full of shit if you believe MBA is doing anything other than dodging the bullet they well deserve.