Author Topic: Gaudenzia,Daytop’s own Fête des morts of sorts.  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Gaudenzia,Daytop’s own Fête des morts of sorts.
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
It’s October and you know what that means, GAUDENZIA is nigh. “What the f*ck is that?” you might ask. Well don’t bother; you’ll never be given a straight answer.

Gaudenzia is celebrated on October 31st and we wear costumes. “Hey, that sounds familiar” you might say. Don’t say it. If you’re still asking questions and drawing your own conclusions while in this house… ssshhh!

Don’t call it Halloween. We will put up Halloween decorations (not any that say Halloween on them), but calling it Halloween is unacceptable. Staff will even dig up a skeleton to place on chair facing the wall. This is “party guy”. That is his name. Putting him there is hilarious, we’re told. Next year, Inculcated and R. put a sign around ‘Guy’s neck that reads “Don’t ask me anymore”. This is viewed by staff as inappropriate humor. This becomes a big stupid issue which goes on all damn day. (Do these parachute pants make my butt look big in the good way or the bad way? Does this “Ask me about my disrespect” sign make me look dealt with?)

Gaudenzia:
•   “It’s going to be like a party” This is different than when you were told extended group would be “like a sleep over”. This will actually be a  
 pantomime of a party. It’s a masquerade and it’s best to put your “game face” on.
•   You can dance- In fact, you have to (SEKTO)… or Marcy will turn the next morning    
 meeting into an excuse to dance you in to the fire.
•   Eat drink and be careful- There will be punch. Both literal and metaphorical varieties will be served and everyone will drink it down with  
 kool-aid grimaces frozen in place.
•   Costumes- What can be said of this? Be very careful. It’s pretty much a no win situation.
•   Music and festivities- Everything played sucks and involves doing the electric slide. All of you. Thriller will also be played and oh yeah, the
 video dance moves re-enacted. It’s group activity. Participation is required.

In attendance will be the psychic vampires and drama ghouls that you will recognize as counselors. Also, sighing at you from the shadows will be the wispy specter of your dignity (pretending not to know you and exchanging smirking glances with the gruesome remains of your sanity -if the last of that hasn’t been cut from you in groups)…And oh yes, of course, there will be zombies.  

All in all this Daytopian fright night is not the worst of what this program has to offer, but it is weird and unexplained.

For the most part the horrors you can expect from this circus freak show "family" you’re with will be reserved for serious matters like, the cannibalism of encounter groups, the ghastly eviscerations of group feelings and disapperating in extended and marathon groups. You’re safe for now.
They don’t seem to feed this night, but they’re all just licking their chops watching for reason to bust yours later.
 ::evil:: Have fun!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Gaudenzia,Daytop’s own Fête des morts of sorts.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »
Gaudenzia was one of the early therapeutic communities focused on addiction treatment, founded in 1968 in Philly or very close by.

Daytop founders and admins were undoubtedly well aware of it, having been, in all likelihood, involved with its founding.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
^Yes, snuggly one. Gaudenzia is a Daytopian spore bastard. I learned that later, when I landed here on Fornits. They don’t mention that when we prepare for the Gaudenzia festivities. They don't explain much.
They tell you an extraneous story about a race horse by the name “who finished the race on a broken leg” with a meaningful nod. :nods:
 If further inquiries are made you are told to think about it…which contradicts the oft stated by same staff “Quit your stinkin’ thinkin’ pull up.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Gaudenzia History
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:42:33 PM »
Ask Ginger about Victor Biondo.

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Gaudenzia History

In 1968, a group of distinguished business, political and community leaders recognized a serious problem for the City of Philadelphia — a growing number of people suffering from addiction were unable to find help. Determined to address the problem, these leaders invited a small group of substance abuse treatment professionals to create a residential treatment program that would save the lives of individuals otherwise doomed by their drug and alcohol addictions.

A cadre of willing supporters, which included Howard Adelstein, Dr. Griffin Bates, Michael Baylson, Victor Biondo, Dr. Irwin Breslow, Judge Paul Dandridge, Raymond Denworth, Esq., James Germano, James Giles, Esq., Thomas Gilhool, Esq., Dr. Frederick Glaser, Michael Gold, Congressman William Green, Peter Hearn, Esq., Joseph Jacovini, Esq., Jerome Kohn, D.O., Judge Edmund Speath, Joan Specter, Aurelia Waters, Mr. & Mrs. William Wilcox, Edwin Wolf, Esq., and Elias Wolf helped to establish Gaudenzia's first program and Board of Directors.

Thus, community volunteers gave birth to Gaudenzia's first residential substance abuse treatment program in a dilapidated North Philadelphia rowhouse. The program took in addicted men and women – mostly heroin addicts at the time – and provided the shelter, sustenance and support they needed to join the rest of the "family" in living free from drugs and alcohol. Most of these people had no ability to pay for treatment, and maintenance of the program depended on day-to-day contributions of food, clothing and furniture from the community.

Gaudenzia began as a mutual support community – a group of people who, through the basic assumption that sticking together would give them the strength and resolve to stop using drugs, were trying to recover from addiction through their unity and support of one another. Back then, there was little distinction between staff and residents. The senior residents ran the program – they were the people who had been around long enough to feel secure in their own recoveries and had gained enough knowledge to manage the facility.

Gaudenzia gradually gained acceptance due to its effectiveness. Gaudenzia expanded its programs steadily throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's and now has a network of services so diverse, virtually anyone in need can receive help for their individual substance abuse problems.

The community responded enthusiastically and today Gaudenzia operates over 100 programs throughout the system. Gaudenzia offers comprehensive outpatient and residential programs that address the specialized substance abuse treatment, prevention and education needs
of men, women and children.

Gaudenzia's specialized programs meet the needs of adolescents, pregnant/parenting women, dually diagnosed individuals (mentally ill and substance abusing), HIV/AIDS symptomatic individuals and homeless individuals. In addition, Gaudenzia administers the substance abuse treatment program at the State Correctional Institute in Chester, which is the first correctional facility in Pennsylvania dedicated entirely to the treatment of addicted inmates. Gaudenzia also offers transitional living services for men and women who complete our residential treatment programs. Gaudenzia's ACCESS program offers private industry, labor union and other organizations employee assistance program services to address individual and organizational substance abuse treatment needs.

Gaudenzia's mission is to help people affected by chemical dependency, mental illness and related conditions to achieve a better quality of life – allowing them to live as productive and accountable individuals.

Gaudenzia also conducts research and educates the community on the causes, treatment and prevention of addictions, mental illness and related conditions.

Gaudenzia views substance abuse as a complex biopsychosocial problem that must be addressed on all levels. Individuals must make significant lifestyle changes in order for recovery to be successful and long lasting. Gaudenzia adheres to the holistic principles of the Therapeutic Community that encourages individuals to take part in the treatment process as full partners, not as objects or patients. Individuals admitted to Gaudenzia encounter a highly structured family environment in which honesty, trust and mutual self-help are the foundation of the treatment process. In addition, daily seminars, group counseling and individual activities are offered to all clients. Work responsibilities are assigned that teach basic cooperation, respect and discipline.

Since 1968, the support of our communities has enabled Gaudenzia to develop a network of services so diverse that virtually anyone in need can be helped by Gaudenzia's programs. Gaudenzia pioneered many programs for specialized populations and has earned national attention for innovative approaches to substance abuse treatment. We have also distinguished ourselves through the unique achievements that are highlighted on the following pages.

# #

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
Ursus,
Okay, reading Gaudenzia House propaganda is not helpful to me in understanding Daytop’s weird ritual of celebrating its’ own day of the living dead fest by that name on Halloween or why it was so verboeten  to call October 31st  Halloween.
Dr. Frederick Glaser...where do I know that name from...hmmm?
Antigen,
Who is Victor Biondo?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
I don't know particularly much about Biondo. But I bet the taboo on Halloween is just that it's a pegan holiday. Daytop is Catholic.

Very, very well written piece! Really captures the essence of almost any holiday in a program! "eat, drink and be careful" Lovely! :notworthy:
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Horse --> Gaudenzia
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
They tell you an extraneous story about a race horse by the name "who finished the race on a broken leg" with a meaningful nod. :nods:
 If further inquiries are made you are told to think about it…which contradicts the oft stated by same staff "Quit your stinkin' thinkin' pull up.
Well, "Horse" is an old name for heroin. Most, if not all, of Gaudenzia's original clients were addicted to heroin. Victor Biondi, one of the original founders, had found some resolution regarding his heroin addiction by involvement with a TC-addiction program in New York in the early 1960s, IIRC.

Somehow, Gaudenzia left out that piece of historical info from its current explanation for adopting the tale:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Legend of the Horse

Folklore has it that Gaudenzia was a courageous mare from a town in Italy near Siena who had been a farm cart horse. She was chosen to ride the colors of one of Siena's 17 contrade, or neighborhoods, in the town's annual race, The Palio. The contrade of the winner won the right to claim neighborhood supremacy for one year.

Riderless and lame, Gaudenzia was victorious. Gaudenzia the horse, became the inspirational symbol of courage, determination and the willpower to rise above adversity. This legend motivated the founders of Gaudenzia House in 1968 to adopt its name.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
Here’s a particularly appalling variant of the transformation LE. (Learning experience) that pretty much devolved into pervs’ in the “helping professions” subjecting little girls under their care to act out blatantly sexualized humiliations.
Some variant of the “wear this to show us who you really are” (Psychodrama) abuses happened also in CEDU if I’m remembering correctly.
Excerpts from Ursus’ 17 Apr 2009 post of the following article:
An Oregon School for Troubled Teens Under Scrutiny
By Maia Szalavitz Friday, Apr. 17, 2009

On April 28, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case that has caused anguish in the world of special education and children's mental health.

The case, Forest Grove v. TA, centers on the question of whether the families of disabled children have the right to seek reimbursement for private school tuition from the state, if the child has not first received special education services in public school. The legal question is a narrow one, but the case raises larger, more troublesome issues about student safety and the quality of educational services that families should expect when they place their children in private residential care, because the school involved in the case, Mount Bachelor Academy, near Prineville, Ore., is currently under state investigation based on allegations of abuse reported by students and one employee.

A spokesperson for the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) declined to discuss the details of the ongoing investigations of Mount Bachelor, which include a second inquiry based on possible licensing violations. But according to 10 students, two separate parents, and a current part-time employee interviewed by TIME — some of whom are involved in the state inquiry — Mount Bachelor Academy regularly uses intensely humiliating tactics as treatment. For instance, in required seminars that the school calls Lifesteps, students say staff members of the residential program have instructed girls, some of whom say they have been victims of rape or sexual abuse in the past, to dress in provocative clothing — fishnet stockings, high heels and miniskirts — and perform lap dances for male students, as therapy...

Sharon Bitz, the executive director of Mount Bachelor Academy, denies the charges. In an e-mailed statement to TIME, she said the reports of abuse are "inaccurate representations of Mount Bachelor Academy's therapeutic approach for struggling or underachieving teens. Some of the accusations are demonstrably false, while others have been exaggerated for shock effect."

In response to the accusations of sexual humiliation, Bitz told the Oregon Bend Bulletin newspaper in a recent interview that school officials have never instructed students to act in a way that would "sexualize them," and that the students' costumes came from their own dorm rooms and were chosen by the students. "We would never ask a student to give a lap dance," Bitz told the Oregon paper.

PSYCHODRAMA — OR NEW TRAUMA?

Mount Bachelor's executive director, Bitz, says her school uses widely accepted psychological treatments to help children overcome their problems. "We also use a psychodrama treatment approach designed to do one or both of two things," said Bitz in her statement, "get a student to embrace qualities of their character (such as beauty or courage) about which they have doubt, or assist them in recognizing qualities that are unproductive (such as selfishness or conceit) about which they have little insight."

There are plenty of parents, including TA's, who say they are happy with the services provided to their children. Former students have also praised the school for turning their lives around, in comments on online message boards and in letters to regulators.

"All methods of therapy are done in a supportive atmosphere with trained professionals and the intent to raise self-awareness and self-worth," said Bitz.

But other students and parents describe a different experience. The students interviewed by TIME, who attended the school at separate times in recent years, said that humiliation, not support, was the foundation of much of the treatment at Mount Bachelor.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27353&p=330498&hilit=costumes#p330498

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »
Quote from: "Eliscu2"
wow, beautifully written.
Thank you.

(thanks for the flashback)
Sorry, luv.

I think this is where Joe Ricci got the bright idea for Costumes at Elan, but he incorporated them into the "Learning Experience" we had this sick twisted holiday every day.
As much as some of the spin offs got a little diluted (but not enough) in the severity of humiliations inflicted in under the guise of therapeutics, some like Elan just went crazy with their escalations of messed up methods.
Daytop sure created a stand out sadist when it got into Joe Ricci’s head.
In fact my earliest memory of Elan was "it looks like a cardboard Halloween."
Well, that’s a telling reflection if I ever heard one.

My best to you  :rose:  and please extend my best wishes and sincere regrets to DaneGoldstein5. Fucking zip ties… That is beyond the pale.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
When I was at Elan there were Pimp and Whore costumes for sure!
After a long General Meeting for being a pimp or whore.
Halloween is my favorite holiday, but it still reminds me of Elan.
Ah, there’s a bit of themes I remember from Daytop. Girls are taught to “take ownership of themselves” and tacitly (by some vicious and vocal counselors even overtly) taught to fear becoming a jezebel due to some accused inherent junkie mentality.
Boys are treated like ticking time bombs of potential violence…as I recall even ones without a propensity for this were treated this way by formulaic application of reductive archetypes as labels.

Part of the fun of Halloween is embracing the alter ego of some fantasized or amusing caricature or simply being scary.

I think this year I’ll dress up as an unconscious derivative…First, I’ll need to aqquire  some Ketamine.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
I'm glad I don't have to stay for that Gaudenzia bullshit anymore. At least they made us make stuff for Gaudenzia instead of teaching for most of October. BTW Now they do it on or about Oct 24.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 12:10:09 AM »
Quote from: "former daytop employee"
I'm glad I don't have to stay for that Gaudenzia bullshit anymore. At least they made us make stuff for Gaudenzia instead of teaching for most of October. BTW Now they do it on or about Oct 24.
Which location did you were at?
How long were you there?
Besides “making stuff” for Gaudenzia what did you do there?
What did they have you make for Gaudenzia?
Did you ever ask Hmm, Gaudenzia…what the fuck is that?”
If yes, what was the answer?

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »
SEKTO:
What will you dress up as, for Gaudenzia ?

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »
For Gaudenzia I'll just be myself, but will also be wearing this:

(SEKTO, circa 1993)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 06:24:01 PM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
For Gaudenzia I'll just be myself, but will also be wearing this:

(SEKTO, circa 1993)

That’s a nice look for you, SEKTO.
I’m usually staunchly opposed to fashion fur. However, since Kitty is alive and well and seems not to mind…you wear it well.