Author Topic: Reading Problems  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reading Problems
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »
I have a student I'm trying to teach to read. He's a fun kid, cheerful, and entertaining to be around. However, when it comes to reading he's about as inept as it gets. He's not a moron, quite the contrary, he's a bright little fellow. He just can't seem to learn how to read in English. This has been going on for about six months at the Dr. Suess level and I'm wonder if anyone has any other ideas to try with him.

he can speak English fairly well which is the confusing part for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Reading Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »
Has he been tested for LDs like dyslexia?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
He can read in Chinese so I doubt it is that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:18 PM »
He might be bored with the content of what in English is on his reading level.
Maybe take a step out of the books and have him use index cards with words he does know to make sentences and a story.
You could work your way up to him making a small comic book or something. Do you have a Descriptionary?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Nope, but I like the idea with the Index card and the comic book. Actually, maybe I'll get a friend of mind to send me a box of comic books. See if he takes to those at all.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:11:25 AM »
I agree that there probably needs to be subject matter that is a bit more dynamic. Part of Seuss' charm is his prose, which is going to be lost on a kid learning to read english as a second language. I would think it would be really boring. Comic books are a good idea. (get some of those golden age ones where the chinese are portrayed in the worst stereotype possible) "Look, this is what we round eyes think of you." :D

But seriously, I think comics are a good idea. Maybe there are some english translations of fairy tales he was told as a kid? So he could learn to read the story in a whole new language. Well, hopefully they have an illustrated book of something like that.

If not, alice's adventures in wonderland/through the looking glass is always a real trip. It's weird enough for anyone. There is prose in some parts he may not be into, (although I think the walrus and the carpenter is a wonderful little poem), but for the most part, the narrative is totally wacky.

Sendak's work is good, too, but you know.. it's where the wild things are.. the plot is kind of basic and might be too young for him.

Im still seeing the movie when it comes out.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:04 AM »
God I'm old, I was thinking more like Archie and Jughead.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
God I'm old, I was thinking more like Archie and Jughead.

What are you trying to do?? Put him to sleep?  :roflmao:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
How about closed caption videos? Or mail order catalogs selling something he's into? I think what really started my kids off reading the most was shopping. They were into the idea of getting this or that, had been told a hundred times we couldn't afford it (or not right now) and so they wanted to be able to understand the signs in order to make a better argument for their cause.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 07:30:17 PM »
fuck man, I got into reading from sesame street... plus the frustration over not knowing what's going on in my kids books.

Even if they allow Sesame Street in china, forget about it. Jim's dead. The muppets are dead. It's all a bunch of shit now.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: Reading solutions
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »
Quote from: "Countess Chocula"
He might be bored with the content of what in English is on his reading level.
Maybe take a step out of the books and have him use index cards with words he does know to make sentences and a story.
You could work your way up to him making a small comic book or something. Do you have a Descriptionary?
Quote from: "Antigen"
How about closed caption videos? Or mail order catalogs selling something he's into?
This video presents kind of a combination of these ^ two ideas. It might be interesting to him or it might be disturbing. It’s got a bit of an odd way of relating a moral tale, but no worse than anything the brothers Grimm wrote.
A young boy and girl discover a strange, gift-bearing god in the belly of a bunny rabbit. Can they capitalize on their good fortune, or will greed get the best of them?
http://http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/rabbit/#

The objects of the scenery are all labeled with their identifying word like a jar of jam says jam next to it. A violet is blooming next to the word violet etc. It’s like an animated Pictionary, but a little weird.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline mackinroj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 06:47:09 AM »
Hey CheGookin,
Myself sandra. According to your problem.if you take my suggestion then do one thing
you have to teach them from some good book, cd's,or like online training which are easy
languages that parts you have to teach them so that kids will easy to learn and also teach nicely.
work hard you will success.  

Thanks..
Where there is a will,there is way..

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
ummmmmmm..............

yeah..

What I'm doing now is helping the kid write and draw his own comic book. Actually, he does most of the drawing, I do the editing for grammar. So far so good.. He's much more interested in our weekly class.