Author Topic: If this were your kid would you send them to a program?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: If this were your kid would you send them to a program?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
But there is another reason that I prefer that he is using alcohol rather than drugs. On every single bottle there is a label telling everyone how strong it is. You don't find such a label with a pill or other kind of drugs. One pill doesn't work, the next one can kill you.

How can you guide anyone in the drug use if you don't know what you are dealing with?

This only applies if you dont know anything about drugs. lack of knowledge = danger. For example, many people in the U.S combine Vicodin (hydrocodone with aceteminophen/paracetamol) with alcohol. little do they realize that Vicodin contains tylenol - which is paracetamol - which should never be combined with alcohol as it damages the liver. People do it anyway. You can teach a kid not to do drugs at all, but in all likelyhood they probably will do drugs. this is why one must teach kids about drugs, and not keep them completely ignorant about them. When and if they do drugs, without parental guidance, they will believe only colloquial knowledge - what their friends tell them - rather than what is actually true. Further, most drugs DO have labels. I'm not saying kids should be popping ecstacy or doing cocaine, as they should be educated to do so only once as a try for experience if they ever do it at all. I'm talking about primarily perscription medication (one of the leading causes of premature death in america), Marijuana (which wont kill you, but people do not know how to use it responsibly), and psychedelics (also wont kill you, but you can go crazy on them if you dont have guidance and supervision).

if a parent does not know anything about drugs, then they should not be teaching their kids about it. But i do think that if everyone in a particular society was doing certain drugs, if every teen went through a phase of experimentation guided by those in older generations, then the younger, future generations will be better-equipped to deal with issues such as addiction or bad trips; and since drug use is unavoidable, acceptance and education is the lesser evil compared to focus on total abstinence.  

just replace "drugs" with "alcohol" and you will know exactly what i'm talking about froderik. it's all culturally relative. here in california, many, many, many people smoke marijuana and have experience in psychedelics. the likeleyhood of teens trying the stuff early in high school is very high. Parents educated their kids and supervise their kids here as they begin to experiment, much like the danish educate and supervise their kids as they drink. (irronically, while californians often focus on MJ, alcohol education towards responsible use via parents is almost completely absent outside of wine country [napa]).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »
If this were your kid, and you loved and cared about him, and you were worried about his behavior, why would you send him away? Why would you abandon him?

Work it out at home. Be present in his life every day.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
Quote from: "AuntieEm2"
If this were your kid, and you loved and cared about him, and you were worried about his behavior, why would you send him away? Why would you abandon him?

Work it out at home. Be present in his life every day.

Auntie Em

Who knew it was this simple? Gosh, if only parents could "work it out at home" and "be present in his life every day" everything would work out fine. You better edit your post, this advice is worth some serious money. You need to start charging a fee for this advice, it's really good. I think programs might go out of business once parents hear about this.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »
If you don't work it out at home and aren't present in your child's life, your kid will wind up deadinsaneondrugsorinjail.

Do you suddenly have a problem with one-size-fits-all solutions?

Or only those that that do not cost $90,000 a year?  

Parents can, and do, successfully raise teenagers with behavior problems all the time--they did so for for centuries before the advent of big-business programs. Parents are far more capable than you give them credit for.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
I dont think anyone would argue that home and family is the best place to raise a child, but there is always the exception.  The one child that doesn’t do well at home with local services and needs some extra help outside the home.

If you have ever had a sick child at home imagine if the child could stay home and the doctor could come to him. This would be ideal, but care has become more and more complicated and refined to accommodate the increasing demand of individual treatment that the doctors bag couldn’t hold all the equipment necessary to treat each patient effectively.  

But we need to remember that boarding a child in a therapeutic boarding school should never be a first step.  the parent should seek local solutions and get the advice of the child’s therapist to determine if placement would be beneficial.