Author Topic: aparently, adults want to go to programs too  (Read 27102 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: aparently, adults want to go to programs too
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
Perhaps the most important piece of etiquette is gratitude. It is important to be thankful to the purpose of the sweat, the people joining you in the lodge, and those helping to support the sweat lodge.
The going "gratitude" for James Arthur Ray's "Spiritual Warrior" retreat, which was supposed to "absolutely change your life," and of which this sweat experience was part of, was roughly $9000. I believe that sums up to a gross of well over half a million $$$.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Dr. Acula

• View Profile
lol
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
Oprah

Speaking of someone who needs to be in a sweat lodge.... for about a decade.

Problem is shell come back out talking about how great it was and then her advice will, once again, get a bunch of people killed.
:cheers:

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Perhaps the most important piece of etiquette is gratitude. It is important to be thankful to the purpose of the sweat, the people joining you in the lodge, and those helping to support the sweat lodge.
The going "gratitude" for James Arthur Ray's "Spiritual Warrior" retreat, which was supposed to "absolutely change your life," and of which this sweat experience was part of, was roughly $9000. I believe that sums up to a gross of well over half a million $$$.

Sitting Bull spoke:
I am a red man. If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans, in my heart he put other and different desires. Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for Eagles to be Crows. We are poor... but we are free. No white man controls our footsteps. If we must die...we die defending our rights.

Danny spoke:
Maybe if the White Man/Woman stopped trying to capitalized on "Native Traditions" then we could truly find gratitude.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Dr. Acula

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
:jawdrop:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:41:22 AM by Dr. Acula »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »

You need to consider the guys expenses before judging him.  Although they are paying $9,000 a piece, you need to consider that  the program lasts for several days at a time and they have to feed and lodge these 70 or so people.  So Mr. Ray is kept very busy unless he hires help, which doesn’t come cheap.  Say 10 people, to help out,   at $15/hour, 10 hours a day for 3 days.  That’s $4,500 he needs to pay his employees in salary for the 3 days.  Say $5 dollars per meal @ 3 meals per day.. that totals $3,100 (maybe $10/meal thats $6,200) for the 3 days.  The sweat lodge must cost a few hundred dollars a month to maintain.  He probably donates a few thousand to local charities every summer.. sponsors a kids baseball team, donations to the local police drive, picks up the tab for a big part of the local town mayors campaign expenses, which can be overwhelming for a small town mayor who has to work a second job to keep things going with 2 kids facing college.
So he grosses $630,000 for a 3 day weekend and pays out about $10,000 in expenses.  He doesn’t have to work every weekend during the year to make a decent living.

You really cant get too pissed at Mr. Ray because if you really think about it after a few years it must get pretty tiresome sitting in a hot sweaty tent with 70 people (weekend after weekend) trying to find themselves when you have an air conditioned villa in the Bahamas waiting for you on Tuesday night.  Who the hell would want to sit in a sweat lodge with these people once the checks cleared?

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Whooter wrote:
You need to consider the guys expenses before judging him.  Although they are paying $9,000 a piece, you need to consider that  the program lasts for several days at a time and they have to feed and lodge these 70 or so people.  So Mr. Ray is kept very busy unless he hires help, which doesn’t come cheap.  Say 10 people, to help out,   at $15/hour, 10 hours a day for 3 days.  That’s $4,500 he needs to pay his employees in salary for the 3 days.  Say $5 dollars per meal @ 3 meals per day.. that totals $3,100 (maybe $10/meal thats $6,200) for the 3 days.  The sweat lodge must cost a few hundred dollars a month to maintain.  He probably donates a few thousand to local charities every summer.. sponsors a kids baseball team, donations to the local police drive, picks up the tab for a big part of the local town mayors campaign expenses, which can be overwhelming for a small town mayor who has to work a second job to keep things going with 2 kids facing college.
So he grosses $630,000 for a 3 day weekend and pays out about $10,000 in expenses.  He doesn’t have to work every weekend during the year to make a decent living.

You really cant get too pissed at Mr. Ray because if you really think about it after a few years it must get pretty tiresome sitting in a hot sweaty tent with 70 people (weekend after weekend) trying to find themselves when you have an air conditioned villa in the Bahamas waiting for you on Tuesday night.  Who the hell would want to sit in a sweat lodge with these people once the checks cleared?

Dag'gum Whootie, smacks of American capitalism.
Anthony Robbins made a fortune in Bali and no I never attended.
Teminos Inc. out of San Francisco runs a 4 day workshop at $2500.00 a head, 200 people attend, 3 staff/owners administer and the other 30 are non-tendered past attendees. The net $500,000.00. Four days worth of work, 3 staff/owners split after expenses $425,000.00, thats $141,666.66 each. "They Get Paid".
Cherly, Joy and Eric actually run one of the best experiential workshops I've ever attended, though I did not have to pay.
I don't think I would give any company that runs experiential workshops $2500.00 for a weekend. Just sounds crazy to me.

danny

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 01:08:04 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Lol. Always a question of finances for you, eh?

And... just going with your train of thought for the moment, and using your figures... wow. Somewhat over $600,000 minus $10,000 is ... still somewhat over $600,000. Huge difference, that, don't ya think?  :D

That's not even taking into consideration that participants were on a 36-hour fast prior to the sweat fest. I imagine the costs to feed the herd were significantly less during that time period.

But... I digress too much.

Has it ever occurred to you that the primary source of ire might... not be the money per se? That loss of life, and the callous disregard for that, cannot be measured in dollars and cents?

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:53 AM »
Ursus wrote:
And... just going with your train of thought for the moment, and using your figures... wow. Somewhat over $600,000 minus $10,000 is ... still somewhat over $600,000. Huge difference, that, don't ya think?  :D

That's not even taking into consideration that participants were on a 36-hour fast prior to the sweat fest. I imagine the costs to feed the herd were significantly less during that time period.

Has it ever occurred to you that the primary source of ire might... not be the money per se? That loss of life, and the callous disregard for that, cannot be measured in dollars and cents?

Oh, Ursus please....drama class is not until Tuesday.    :seg2:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Teminos Inc. out of San Francisco runs a 4 day workshop at $2500.00 a head, 200 people attend, 3 staff/owners administer and the other 30 are non-tendered past attendees. The net $500,000.00. Four days worth of work, 3 staff/owners split after expenses $425,000.00, thats $141,666.66 each. "They Get Paid".
Cherly, Joy and Eric actually run one of the best experiential workshops I've ever attended, though I did not have to pay.
I don't think I would give any company that runs experiential workshops $2500.00 for a weekend. Just sounds crazy to me.
Interesting. You're really into this "group experience" motif for self-improvement, eh? How come you "did not have to pay?" Were you a friend of theirs? Or, did you facilitate a portion of the weekend?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 01:56:10 AM »

Oh, Ursus please....drama class is not until Tuesday.    :seg2:
Ya really think so, Danny? Did you actually read the article? Some people died. A lot more of them got sick, and could have died. And all this happened over the course of a couple of hours.

What kind of slavish group-think was going on there, that people felt compelled to push themselves to the brink, and in a few tragic cases - over the brink, of multiple organ failure? And just how much of a "spiritual leader" was James Arthur Ray ... to not even comprehend the gravity of the situation ... before it was too late?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »
I'm tired of being tormented to hell, that's what I'm tired of.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »

Interesting. You're really into this "group experience" motif for self-improvement, eh? How come you "did not have to pay?" Were you a friend of theirs? Or, did you facilitate a portion of the weekend?

This explains soooo much.  :nods:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

I know Anne it is horrible isn't it Hilter, Idi Amin, who became known as the 'Butcher of Uganda, Saddam Hussein ect.....play this right Ursus and yourself just may win the Fornits Award for "Best Dramatic Post".
I get what happened and it is sad, I also know that Roy was and is raking in the money along with thousands other in this country and millions world wide. Folks want experiences and they will pay handsomely.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
I know Anne it is horrible isn't it Hilter, Idi Amin, who became known as the 'Butcher of Uganda, Saddam Hussein ect.....play this right Ursus and yourself just may win the Fornits Award for "Best Dramatic Post".
I get what happened and it is sad, I also know that Roy was and is raking in the money along with thousands other in this country and millions world wide. Folks want experiences and they will pay handsomely.
So... did you facilitate or work as a non-paid volunteer at "Teminos Inc. out of San Francisco?"

Btw, re. the LGAT facilitator whose handiwork started this thread: his name is James Arthur RAY. Wasn't sure whether that was a typo on your part, or whether you were referring to someone else... ?

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
Ursus wrote:
So.. did you facilitate or work as a non-paid volunteer at "Teminos Inc. out of San Francisco?"
Danny wrote:
Ursus you still have not answered my question, "did you attend the Warrior Weekend Retreat".

Ursus wrote:
Btw, re. the LGAT facilitator whose handiwork started this thread: his name is  James Arthur RAY . Wasn't sure whether that was a typo on your part, or whether you were referring to someone else...?

Danny wrote:
That was a typo on my part, thanks for the correction.