Author Topic: CALO Runaway - Tom Riley  (Read 22297 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CALO Runaway - Tom Riley
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 03:13:38 AM »
Nothing like a hate on by the .gov people to put a crimp in your style. He must have pissed some folks off before CALO. Hopefully he can get it worked out in due time without being slung back into a place like CALO.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline seanc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
Che,

Yes, we are hoping he chooses the right path because if he continues down this one, things will only get worse for him.   Things are not so bad right now that they can't be fixed.  But he needs to WANT to fix them.  That is unless he continues to make these mistakes.  People right now are still willing to forgive and I can virtually guarantee some flexibility with the people in charge.  They won't be so willing, soon, if they are continuously spat in the face.

We are hoping he comes to his senses before it is to late.  It may seem cool for the youth to fight authority, as evidenced by some of these posts, but we all know they are to young and haven't learned the right balance between liberty and order yet.  But they will all to soon.  If they push to far and piss off the wrong people in charge, you know what happens next, the 800lb gorilla comes down and smashes you flatter than hammered shit.

We can help repair this, but we need Toms help as well.

Sean

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »
Just curious but what does he need to make amends for and what does he need to be forgiven for?  Is it for running away or is it more personal?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »
Probably something to do with the being sent to CALO by the state. Running from CALO would be seen the same as running from a juvie. One thing to consider for you Sean, is perhaps this isn't about being hip or cool for Tom. Perhaps he is scared shitless of returning to CALO or somewhere worst. Being thrown into a place like CALO under the conditions he endured due to the dynamics of his particular situation couldn't have been easy. Dump on the other business about being called out in public in front of the entire campus by a high level staffer makes it even worst.

Was he ever restrained? Because I've just gotten a news flash from a recent alum of CALO telling me about a restraint, or more so multiple restraint, of a student or students over refusing to wear a sweater under their jacket whilst on Green Shirt restriction. What kind of idiot jacks someone up over a sweater is beyond me but the story appears to be highly legit.

Offline seanc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
I know he was restrained, CALO told us on numerous occasions that he was.  I don't know if he was ever jacked up.  When I hear that, I think about someone being punched out.  I don't have any knowledge of that.  If I did, there would be hell to pay.

I have considered he my be afraid, but I don't believe this is the real reason he ran.  I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

As far as being forgiven, it has nothing to do with the act of running away, it's much more personal than that and the forgiveness isn't by me or for me.  Let's leave it at that.

What he should be afraid of though is the fact that he is digging himself a deeper hole and continuing to make the choices that landed himself at CALO in the first place.  Remember, HIS choices, not mine.  Eventually he will be caught, and if he doesn't decide to make things right, the punishment/consequences will only get worse.

I understand many of you don't like the word punishment or consequences and consider them "program" words.  However, they exist in the REAL world.  This is something CALO has a hard time understanding and doesn't want to teach.  Nothing like creating your own pretend litle world.  

You know the courts don't care about that, they hand out punishment and consequences every minute of the day and don't care about what the kids, parents or the psychologists say about taking punishiment out of relationships.  Courts want compliance, period.  When you are in the system, you are playing in their world, not yours.

Like I said before, we can help Tom through this, we do have some small pull in this, but if people are continued to be slapped in the face, that pull will evaporate.

Sean

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 03:11:00 AM »
You do realize that a restraint a calo involves pain compliance right? A bent wrist hold can't be fun for anyone. Why wouldn't he be scared shitless of the place?

Offline seanc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
Che,

I'm aware of the wrist locks.  No, I don't think it is fun for anyone who has been placed in such a hold.  I'm fully aware of what is involved.  I trained in martial arts for over 20 years and have been put into these holds literally thousands of times.  I've trained military, IRS armed field agents, Chicago Police, firemen, security, lots of professionals.  I'm fully aware of the pain that can be inflicted,  especially from novices that have not been properly trained or execute it poorly.  I don't condone it, I don't like it and yet I have mixed feelings about it in certain circumstances.

I understand that some individuals need to be restrained if they become violent.  I also understand that some staff members at CALO enjoy the power trip as well as inflicting pain on kids.  Do some kids need to be restrained, absolutely.  Do most kids at CALO need or deserve to be restrained, no, I don't think so.  I think most of these kids can be talked down.  However, many kids at CALO truly believe they are tough guys and come off that way to staff.  But it's just all an act.  Most of them are not real offenders and are just frightened, overindulged or confused kids that don't want to play by the grownups' rules.

From what I've seen at CALO, certain staff, not all, look for any reason to employ the joint locks.  I've even seen staff rough-housing with the kids and the kids thought they were just playing around, when the kids touched (not hit mind you) the staff, the staff got pissed and immediately took the kid down.  Remember, many of the staff are just kids themselves, not much older than the children.  You and I went to school with these types every day.  CALO has an incredible double standard when it comes to this type of behavior.  You and I both know if I did this to an adult, I'd go to jail for it.  However, the rules are different for minors.

While I've seen the double standard, I have not witnessed staff purposely and maliciously inflict pain for no reason.  But then again, who would in front of the parents.  I think this would be a very dangerous practice for the staff.  With that said, are you implying or telling me that pain is inflicted just for the sake of inflicting pain at CALO?  Also, do you know if the practice of restraining minors in a setting such as CALO is illegal in Missouri?  Moral issues aside, I don't know if there is really any legal thing that can be done about the restraints, unless you know something I don't.  If you are aware of some law or if someone is willing to come forward and testify that CALO routinely and for no reason inflicts pain on the children as part of their program, I would like to speak with them.  I am also of the opinion that there are much, much bigger issues at CALO other than the wrist locks.  While I do not like this practice, I just don't know what can be done about it.  But I am willing to listen and take action if you have a solution.

Being realistic, pain happens to people every day.  Part of life involves learning how to manage a certain degree of pain.  This is how small children learn not to touch hot stoves.  I've never met an individual that hasn't had to deal with some type of pain in their life.  I just don't think it is reasonably possible to insulate someone from the pain that life throws us, for their entire life.   Somewhere,  Somehow, Someone thought pain was a useful part of life, a necessary evil, kind of like the mosquito.  Again, I don't like it, would rather not have it in my life, and believe me I've had more than my share, but I don't know what you or I could ever do about it.  Sometimes there is good that comes from pain, if nothing else, something can be learned from it.  But then again, we are back to the 800lb gorilla argument.

Do I think Tom was scared shitless of CALO? I don't know.  Fear is an incredibly personal thing, some things I consider routine, scare the crap out of some and vice versa.  All I can say is that CALO reminded me of summer camp with a little extra trimmings.  From what I've seen and experienced, I believe hockey camp is a much tougher program, alot more pain, infinately cheaper and actually acheives its goals.

My issue with CALO goes way beyond the wrist locks.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »
The death (victim) list was too long for some browsers to open it, so I moved all the missing cases to a separate page called:

Missing and wanted

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
Never found him, did you, fucker? He's got to be 18 by now.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline jenmichael

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
Tom was a good friend of mine, I knew him before i went to calo, he has a good head on his sholders, i trust that he has been well looked after while living on the run. We went to two programs together and knew each other two years before attending the first treatment center. If anyone has information on how i can get back in contact with him please give me the information i would greatly appriciate it. Also if anyone wants me to answer any questions about calo directly since i have attended i would be more than willing... in the best of phrases my life there was a hell hole... but if anyone wants me to eleborate ask and i will.
                              Jen Michael

Offline seanc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
Thomas V. Riley died on 12-25-10.  He was 18 years old.  He died of an O.D.

We received a call from the local hospital approx. 6am Christmas morning.  Great thing to wake up to.

To those that say that "dead or in jail" isn't an option...learn from Tom he is and was both.  It is and it's real.  You are all just to stupid to know it.

Ken Huey took Tom's trust money and refused to give back the funds he took for the month of June 2010, the month he allowed Tom an off-site visit against recommendations from his legal guardians and the same time-frame Tom ran away...he wouldn't even return the funds he didn't earn to help bury Tom.

To those that said they had known his mind and that he had a good head on his shoulders...where are you idiots now???  I guess you didn't know a fucking thing aftert all.

His uncle.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
Quote from: "seanc"
Thomas V. Riley died on 12-25-10.  He was 18 years old.  He died of an O.D.

We received a call from the local hospital approx. 6am Christmas morning.  Great thing to wake up to.

To those that say that "dead or in jail" isn't an option...learn from Tom he is and was both.  It is and it's real.  You are all just to stupid to know it.

Ken Huey took Tom's trust money and refused to give back the funds he took for the month of June 2010, the month he allowed Tom an off-site visit against recommendations from his legal guardians and the same time-frame Tom ran away...he wouldn't even return the funds he didn't earn to help bury Tom.

To those that said they had known his mind and that he had a good head on his shoulders...where are you idiots now???  I guess you didn't know a fucking thing aftert all.

His uncle.
I am SO sorry to hear about this, Sean! I am so sorry that your family is going through all this pain.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Thomas V. Riley, R.I.P.
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
Here's the closest to an obituary that I could find:

Thomas V. Riley
      BORN: September 30, 1992
      DIED: December 25, 2010
      RESIDENCE: Wonder Lake, IL
    [/list]

Thomas was born on September 30, 1992 and passed away on Saturday, December 25, 2010.

Thomas was a resident of Wonder Lake, Illinois.

Tributes received this obituary from the US Government's Social Security Death Index. No further public information is available. For more on this data source, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
    Quote from: "seanc"

What a classy guy this Ken Huey is.

Not quite sure what to say about Tom's death. It sort of feels like saying sorry for your loss trivializes it by shooting out a cliche. It's the only thing I have though. Sorry for you loss and I wish I had more I could say.

Offline Jennifer Michael

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 12:10:05 AM »
    I was in a few programs with Tom, Calo and Midwest Academy, I have been looking for information about what happened to him for a year. He ran away a few months before i did from calo, Thank You to whoever posted is obiturary, I was kept in the dark about what happened to him. He and i were close and i was looking through the cite to see if there were any updates on my parents lawsuit with Ken. Thank you again i would have not known at all if it was not for your post.  I have no words to describe how much i am thankful for this cite knowing all of the information that it does and the dedication that the people who run it have. If anyone knows exactally how he passed i would like to know. Thank you.
          Jennifer Michael