Author Topic: My new t-shirt  (Read 5293 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: My new t-shirt
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 08:54:33 PM »
sounds plausible.

I dont know if I want to do any more interviewing for it, though. I've said enough.

maybe in my sleestak mask.

"I was shoved into a pylon and forced to stay there until the three moons had risen and set for fourteen cycles."

fucking pylons.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
sounds plausible.

I dont know if I want to do any more interviewing for it, though. I've said enough.

maybe in my sleestak mask.

"I was shoved into a pylon and forced to stay there until the three moons had risen and set for fourteen cycles."

fucking pylons.

What is that from?  Can't be Land of the Lost, it was on earth.  

You did interviews for the CEDU Documentary?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »
yeah, the pylons were from land of the lost. i might be getting the planetary satellites wrong, though. Maybe it was suns, not moons. Maybe it was both.

Yeah, Im in it.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
I thought Land of the Lost they just traveled back in time to an older period on Earth?  Then again it was more than thirty years ago, so I suppose maybe they traveled to another world with multiple moons.  And a world with dinosaurs like ours.  Or am I reading this wrong?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
Who was the guy inside of the Pylon the "high Priest" creature? Enoch?
He played with than "Panel thing"" with the glowing lights.
I Just

Enik. He knew the pylons, but he didn't live in them. He lived in the temple with the rest of the sleestaks.

Nobody lived in the pylons.

Then there was that bitter, bitchy alien dude who lived by the swamp cause his ship crashed there. Looked kind of like a lite brite.

I thought Land of the Lost they just traveled back in time to an older period on Earth? Then again it was more than thirty years ago, so I suppose maybe they traveled to another world with multiple moons. And a world with dinosaurs like ours. Or am I reading this wrong?

I honestly don't remember how they resolve the series, long after Marshall takes a powder and that uncle shows up. (jump the shark time)

While I was watching, it was never established exactly *what* that place was. You had prehistoric beasts, retarded monkey men, lizard creatures, a grumpy alien, multiple satellites and the pylons.

I do remember them finally explaining the "beware of sleestaks" sign by the temple. (shown in first episode) There was always a question about who wrote it, because nobody in the land of the lost knew english, let alone knew how to write. (the pakuns didnt know it until the humans taught it to them.) I think it was marshalls father, who was there before him... or something stupid like that.

My favorite bit of LoL trivia is that sid & marty kroft could only afford to make three sleestak costumes, so they had to edit it to make it look like there were more of them.

In the dvd commentary, the actress who played Holly was talking about how they hired basketball players to be the sleestak, so they could be tall and imposing, and then they stuck them in these little caves where they had to hunch over, so any impact regarding height was totally lost. lol

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »
There was a Magic the Gathering card called the Knights of the Order of Leitbur.  So all of them you could argue would be called Leitburites.  

I am starting to think my memory of Land of the Lost is now residing in the Land of the Lost Memories.  I never watched the version that came out in the 90's.  And I can't remember any of the details of the other shows I watched like The Adventures of Huck Finn, or Johnny Quest.  Star Blazers might be the only program I can remember in detail.  And having rented it from Blockbuster about fifteen years ago, I realized how amazingly bad it was.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »
I never saw the 90s one, either, actually.

What was huck finn from? Wasnt that part of the banana splits?

I remember my babysitter telling me that the footage shot for the beginning and ending sequences were on location at six flags over texas. the flume ride does look familiar.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 10:12:41 PM »
The opening sequence being the part where the three are waving from a river paddle boat?

I am pretty sure it was part of banana splits.  There were several short segments each week with Gullivers Travels being another one.  A always liked Glum and him saying '"It'll never work....it's a hopeless cause...we're doomed...doomed I tell you..."

But you appear to be the expert on LoL.  Sid and Marty always seemed to have no budget.  Those Schoolhouse Rock episodes were used because they apparently filled the exact time space at certain intervals in kids programming.  Everything back then was shoestring budget.  Going back to Star Trek I think.

I hate to say it but I only learned what Jump The Shark meant just a few years ago.  My buddy from RMA who was actually allowed by his parents to be glued to the tube all day explained it to me, and I had actually watched the Happy Days episode back when it came out.  Poor me.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
oh, i  meant for the banana splits ending seq, not huck finn. they were at an amusement park, and it had the flume ride in there, but there are flume rides in most parks, so not sure how my babysitter apparently "knew" that it was from sfot.

I think my memories of childhood are split down the middle.. 50% television, 50% real life.

It was one of the many hannah barbera atrocity-fests that I loved back then. (although i hated a lot of the shorts on banana splits, such as arabian knights and that other one where the famiy is fighting natives or some such thing. I enjoyed the actual show, with the actors in their animal suits, jumping around and getting their asses served to them by the sour grapes messenger girls.) They also had one music video every episode, and I always liked those.

As for Sid and Marty Kroft...

I recall that the kroft superstars would show their series on rotation, so youd get the far out space nuts, then bugaloos, then land of the lost, then lost saucer (jim neighbors and ruth buzzi in robot costumes?? and a horse dog?), then sigmund the sea monster.. etc etc etc.

Although land of the lost existed before all of these other shows were cobbled into kroft superstars. I remember it used to be a saturday morning thing when I was around 4 or so, but at that point, my parents wouldnt allow me to watch it because they felt it was too scary. I believe that was around the same time that h.r. pufnstuff was out. (one of the few kroft shows I remember being shot on film instead of video.)

All I have to say is.. thank god I missed lidsville. They never played it on my local station, and I heard it was particularly painful. (although the actor who played the villain made a great joke about it when he was on an episode of the x-files.)

believe it or not, sid and marty built an amusement park. I saw footage of the place, and it's just as creepy and weird and awesome as you would imagine. It didnt do too well. Most of the rides ended up breaking relatively soon, or never really worked all that well to begin with. I guess people would consider it a failure, but for me, it made perfect sense... that is *exactly* how a kroft amusement park should behave.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »
The certainly came up with some odd shows.  

I tended to like things with space.  Lost in Space was a real favorite, though I wouldn't last more than five minutes today watching it.  

I do remember H.R Puff and Stuff.  Sigmond the Sea Monster I recall as well.  What I hated about the show was watching only life five minutes of show at a time as they popped from one to another.  And every week did not have the same shows, so sometimes you had to wait another week to see if they'd show what you liked.  I guess they ran it that way because they figured kids didn't have attention spans of more than five minutes, or else Sid and Marty and Hannah Barbera had so many ideas and so few platforms to show them that they just cobbled together one program to show ten.  

That is funny about the Sleestaks in small caves.  I never remembered them as being tall compared to the father.  That may be why.

Being the third youngest in the family I often did not have any choice in what I watched.  So I got to watch Brady Bunch, Eight is Enough, Barney Miller, All in the Family, Hawaii Five-Oh, The Munsters, The Odd Couple, and WWF Wrestling back when Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant were the big names.  My brothers were all glued to that show.  And anything dealing with KISS.  I remember having to prevent myself from committing suicide when KISS made a television movie.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 11:13:59 PM »
lol. KISS meets the phantom

"don't warry stah chuyld, aw'll bend th' bars with my muynd"

The night that debuted on TV was the same night my cat ate my goldfish. (random information)

I love KISS but not for the reasons I did when I was a kid. I heard about them when all the other pre-teens did, when the shameless merchandising machine cranked into high gear. I didn't get a chance to hear them when they were strictly a band with some pretty rockin songs.. plus makeup. and talk about jumping the shark. Remember their foray into disco? "I was made for lovin  you baybay, you were made for luvin me." That pissed off probably around, I dunno, 100% of their fans.

My suspicion is that all of the merchandising and whoring was spearheaded by Gene. He loves to pimp KISS.

I hated Lost in Space. Drove me nuts. I liked the faggy bitter Dr. Zachary Smith (and no, I didnt remember his name off the top of my head. I had to look  it up.) but that was about it. Ernest Borgneine's role in the Disney film The Black Hole kind of reminded me of a darker version of him. (Remember that film? Fuckin a.  Floating robots and zombie slaves.)

Or did you mean the lost saucer? Lost in space was 20th century fox, lost saucer was kroft.

Ive heard the same thing from other people about kroft superstars, that being that there was no continuity. I guess I lucked out. Normally, the Dallas station would play the the full 30 minute episodes from one series, in order, until it reached the end of that season, then move on to the next series. So we'd get about two weeks of something like space nuts (starring bob denver as gilligan in space, pretty much.), then we'd get another series. I never got to see land of the lost to completion, however, because that show had three seasons.

Im sure my sister and I fought over the TV, but that normally resulted in neither of us getting tv, so if there was any disagreement, one of us would just watch in our parent's bedroom and the other in the living room.

I think having a two TV household saved us a lot of arguments.