Author Topic: Are you able to listen to the music from CEDU?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
Are you able to listen to the music from CEDU?
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »
I know for my buddy, he can't tolerate any of the music we had to listen to at RMA anymore.  To him it comes off as chanting and just the sound of it brings back bad memories.  Anyone else have this problem?

I think for me it was like the Beatles or the Eagles.  Sometimes you just hear that music so often you don't want to hear it again for a while.  Now and then I can, but only now and then.  Ironically, I now have a lot of the CEDU/RMA songs on my Ipod.  

What I really didn't like when I left was feeling so out of touch with music.  There were new groups, new songs I had never heard and I felt like I was playing catchup.  I still love 80's music, possibly because it was denied to us when I was there.  Make something illegal and people will crave it in its absence I suppose.

When I hear specific propheet music, I guess it has a different affect on me than songs that were simply played during things like Saturday work crews.  Maybe because on some level, Saturday work crews were somewhat fun.  It was all labor, but Saturday was different I guess.  So maybe the music played tended to be better, or more varied.  I know a lot of times an older student got to control the stereo so we heard something other than what staff might have played.  But even Fleetwood Mac is a little hard for me to listen to and Elton John as well.  There really did seem to be a limited selection.  

Some songs I can't do anymore are the Rocky Theme Song.  You Needed Me by Anne Murray.  The Children's Song from Whitney Houston.  He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother.  I'm So Excited.  That strange song "look what they've done to my song, mom, look what they've done to my song..."  Some of us live in big white houses...  

Anyone else have program music related issues?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: Are you able to listen to the music from CEDU?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:55:56 AM »
Well,  I was barely able to listen to that shit *while* I was at CEDU.

So, they don't exactly fall into my music rotation outside. I don't really find myself having any sort of flashback reaction to it, except for rocky... which is embarrassment. Don't ask, I have no explanation. I hear the song and I feel embarrassed. Maybe kinda like.. someone might cast a knowing glance about what my experience was with that song, and Ill be all, "no, it doesnt bother me, but thanks for bringing it up, asshole." Kind of like a self-conscious thing. Even though nobody knows so they would never say anything.

Which is WHY I do NOT want to hang out extensively with people from CEDU: collective recognition, on two levels, all of us realizing we just experienced a trigger, then all of us going "oh shit, we all know, don't we?"

It's FUCKING ANNOYING.  :flame:  

Also, regardless of what people think, I <3 Melanie Safka. She is one kooky chick. "Brand New Key" is a kick ass song, and it's a shame that one of her most popular songs  (what they've done to my song, ma) was used not only in the Imagine propheet, but for an oatmeal commercial.

they're playin it for, a buncha kids, and it's turnin out all wrong, ma

http://www.melaniesmusic.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanie_Safka

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
I wasn't in CEDU, but Straight. Different triggers. Just certain phrases or ideas, especially anything pro drug war from the ad council or even just people talking pro drug war. Hell, even a copish demeanor can get me sometimes. My gut response is usually fight or flight, which sucks the most when it comes from someone I might otherwise have thought about fuckin.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »
Lean On Me, sung that song so many times at E-Kill-A-Kid (e-kel-etu in florida) that I get slightly queasy every-time I hear it.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
Did they play the Club Neuveau version or the older one?  And I agree, after a while the song starts to sound like chanting.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »
Old version.. Each group has a table in the dining hall with a box of song books in it. We used to sing these songs after meals while people were cleaning up the tables to keep the kids out of trouble. It was mainly just annoying as hell.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »
And you were singing Lean on Me?  Were you any good?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
I don't think I'm in any danger of landing a singing deal anytime soon.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »
I rescind my previous comment that I dont get bothered. I was having a mediocre sandwich in Togo's the other day and they were playing the easy listening station (this term still evades logic.) That abomination of a bette midler song from beaches... "hero", came on.

First of all, it's a bad song.. a really really bad song, in any respect. Overly-sentimental, diabetic-inducing, fecal syrup.

Put CEDU on top of it, and we're talking serious ear-rape... ball-peen hammer cornholing the eardrums while your head is submerged in treacle kind of ear-rape. I had totally forgotten about that demonic ditty until I was subjected to togo's criminal taste in music.

What the fuck is wrong with her? She used to be so hip. Now she's singing songs about god watching people? I thought she was Jewish. Jews don't sing songs about creepy, voyeuristic deities. Did she convert or something?

For me, when it comes to hating CEDU music, it has about 30% to do with CEDU, and 70% to do with the fact that it's just really really shitty music.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 03:50:07 AM »
You be saying some things about corn-holing and raping ear drums that makes me wonder if you need to get in touch with your inner child or run with your shit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:39 PM »
they had you listening to look what they done to my song??? But it is a song about a girl whose brain is messed with till she goes nuts. Were they trying to be funny?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
Quote from: "my 2 cnets"
they had you listening to look what they done to my song??? But it is a song about a girl whose brain is messed with till she goes nuts. Were they trying to be funny?

I know.. I know.. WTF. They played it in the imagine. The only thing I can guess was it was supposed to be talking about how our inner children's songs get fucked up.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »
I remember hearing it in more than one propheet.  

To think 25 years later we still are trying to figure out why they played it and what the purpose was.  Sad.  I think in the end, we knew just as much as they did about what they were doing, or close enough it didn't matter.  That's what you get when you let hacks play doctor.