Author Topic: Long-Term Outcome Studies  (Read 13378 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Long-Term Outcome Studies
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Ursus"
Moreover, there is no information in this overt piece of viral marketing regarding HOW these assays were conducted. "Informal surveys" sent out? Disregarding for the moment the general bias inherent in such surveys, what percentage were actually returned?

Not to metion: who filled out the surveys?  (Parents or the kids themselves?)...  Also, who is to say aspen gave a full list of students to the company performing the "research"?  Also, what is this independent group that did the research.  Do you mean independent like Behrens the ed-con (like last time)?

So where is the source for this information, Whooter?  I want details.  I don't see any sources or links in your original post. Also, I see the post only mentioning Suws of the Carolinas benefiting kids in the title.  Is Aspen at the very least willing to concede the majority of their "treatment" at the very least just plain does not work?

All very good questions, but I didnt conduct the study and it wasnt done by Aspen Education Group:

Here are the people who did the study:This was an independent study conducted by Ellen Behrens, Ph.D.
...  and that was where I stopped reading. Really, Whooter.  An ed-con who pushes and refers to Aspen is Independent?!?!  Please.  Call me when you have a study done by people who don't have a financial interest in the outcome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »
Some links to the people who conducted the study:

Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare is a relatively new field in the treatment of adolescents struggling with behavioral, substance abuse, and mental health issues. OBHIC has been instrumental in facilitating research to study the efficacy of this treatment modality.
The research has established that wilderness treatment programs are effective and are successful in helping struggling adolescents.

Link

Canyon Research & Consulting, Inc
Link

Substance abuse and dependence is significantly reduced, with results lasting through the 12-month follow-up.
Students experienced substance-related pathology within the clinically significant and elevated range pretreatment, but symptoms fell within a normal range upon graduation. Most importantly, these results were sustained through the three and 12 month follow-up assessments.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
Sorry, Whooter, but the links you provided don't show anything.  Remember now, this is only pointed at 'wilderness programs,' which are a tiny sliver of the troubled teen industry as a whole, and, I am sorry to inform you after perusing the links, there is no clinical data whatsoever.  There are no peer-reviewed studies of any kind, much less any reviewed at all by non-industry publications.  Sad attempt, Whooter.

Now, on to linking up your posts.  You told RB the only reason he couldn't get it done is because he didn't try hard enough.  So go ahead and prove to everyone that stand by your own words.  Get your posts linked up or you are even worse than Brucie.  'High-horse Preacher Falls on Face, AGAIN' I can see the headlines now  :rocker:
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 07:12:37 PM »
Moreover, there is no information in this overt piece of viral marketing regarding HOW these assays were conducted. "Informal surveys" sent out? Disregarding for the moment the general bias inherent in such surveys, what percentage were actually returned?

Not to metion: who filled out the surveys?  (Parents or the kids themselves?)...  Also, who is to say aspen gave a full list of students to the company performing the "research"?  Also, what is this independent group that did the research.  Do you mean independent like Behrens the ed-con (like last time)?

So where is the source for this information, Whooter?  I want details.  I don't see any sources or links in your original post. Also, I see the post only mentioning Suws of the Carolinas benefiting kids in the title.  Is Aspen at the very least willing to concede the majority of their "treatment" at the very least just plain does not work?

All very good questions, but I didnt conduct the study and it wasnt done by Aspen Education Group:

Here are the people who did the study:This was an independent study conducted by Ellen Behrens, Ph.D.
...  and that was where I stopped reading. Really, Whooter.  An ed-con who pushes and refers to Aspen is Independent?!?!  Please.  Call me when you have a study done by people who don't have a financial interest in the outcome.

Ha,Ha,Ha,... saw the word "consultant" and you closed your mind and ran lol.  (I don’t expect to convince any of you guys).  Its a good study and it scares the hell out of a lot of people here, I understand that.  The industry is changing and it is going to get tougher and tougher to support your case with just pictures of the "Hobbit" and kids being forced to work in the company store at "Straight" from the 1970’s...or a 300lb guy sitting on a kid…… it just aint the same any more.  Those days are long gone.

Everyone here is slowly realizing that the kids are getting the help they need at these places.. there are over 500 programs today and the number of kids who have not benefitted from them are almost nill.

Psy, I understand there is a ton of room for improvement but we cant deny that kids lives are being immensely effected everyday for the better.  This is not the last study to be conducted and you can continue to find fault in everyone of them or start to read and understand the direction of the industry and how kids are being helped.  Its up to you.

You and I both know that you take the worst possible thing that  happens in a program and then apply it to all of them.  Not all programs listen to phone calls or censor mail.. has it happened?  Sure.  But it doesn’t happen everywhere… you are failing yourself by not seeing the shades of gray.. the changes that are occurring.  

There was a poster earlier who said we should do a study of the effectiveness of calling a kid a slut and a whore and screaming at them because they were raped.  Do you really belief that every rape victim is treated this way?  It  blows my mind that so many of you buy into this belief  and hold it up like some religious icon.

The industry will always be changing (for the better or for the worse) and we need to keep our finger on the pulse to make sure its moving in the right direction… but you are not doing any of that.  You only see what you want to see, living in the past.

Catch up!!!

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
How Do We Measure Effectiveness of Non-Treatment?
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »
Oh, we're caught upalright.  No worries there.

I wonder now how this "study" should be viewed about the "effectiveness" of Aspen's "treatment" given that Aspen has now admitted it provides no treatment or mental health services?

Anybody else see a bit of a "credibility gap" regarding this study and Whooter?

Explain again how we have measured the effectiveness of non-treatment...? :suicide:
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: How Do We Measure Effectiveness of Non-Treatment?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 08:37:31 PM »
Wow, this study has caused such a stir to have everyone come out to try to discredit their findings.  Can anyone tell me which part of the study is so damaging to everyone here that they need to trash the Research firm and also the people who conducted the study?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
Still no links to this pruported "study." Safe to assume no real "study" exists.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: How Do We Measure Effectiveness of Non-Treatment?
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »
Wow, this study has caused such a stir to have everyone come out to try to discredit their findings.  Can anyone tell me which part of the study is so damaging to everyone here that they need to trash the Research firm and also the people who conducted the study?

The study is long but these findings of the study seem to upset many here: (not sure why)

Link1
Link2

These results suggest that Aspen Education Group's wilderness therapy programs are teaching important emotion regulation skills, as well as providing a climate for adolescents to rehearse newly acquired strategies to manage negative emotions such as worry, sadness, and anger. Overall findings provide considerable support for the use of wilderness therapy programs in treating resistant adolescents.

Research conducted by: Ellen Behrens, Ph.D., Canyon Research & Consulting, Inc.; Sarah (Salli) Lewis, Ph.D. and Ellen Leen-Feldner, Center for Research, Assessment, and Treatment Efficacy and Arkansas Institute of Developmental Science; Keith Russell, Ph.D., Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare Research Cooperative, University of Minnesota.

Mental health issues including stress, depression and anxiety are significantly improved. OBH treatment helped reduce stress, depression and anxiety in teens, especially in those with more extreme levels, with continued reduction shown at the six-month follow-up assessment.

Substance abuse and dependence is significantly reduced, with results lasting through the 12-month follow-up. Students experienced substance-related pathology within the clinically significant and elevated range pretreatment, but symptoms fell within a normal range upon graduation. Most importantly, these results were sustained through the three and 12 month follow-up assessments.

Social conflict and aggressive behaviors decrease. Reduction of these self-defeating behaviors continues post-graduation, with greatest improvement shown at the 12-month follow-up assessment.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »
Wow you actually provided a link!

Right over your head program shill. ^ How can a study of “treatment” administered by a program that claims in court that it does not administer treatment be seen as anything other than dis-information?

Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
Oh, we're caught upalright.  No worries there.

I wonder now how this "study" should be viewed about the "effectiveness" of Aspen's "treatment" given that Aspen has now admitted it provides no treatment or mental health services?

Anybody else see a bit of a "credibility gap" regarding this study and Whooter?

Explain again how we have measured the effectiveness of non-treatment...? :suicide:
Care to answer that one, shill?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:42 PM »
Quote from: Inculcated
Wow you actually provided a link!

Quote from: Guest
you should read the link first!!

The therapist is licensed and needs to adhere to the HIPPA laws which they do. The counselors and staff who are not licensed do not need to adhere to these (see DJ misread it, the counselors and staff don’t need to be licensed). Aspen education knows this and you just choose to misinterpret the posting.

DJ tried to blur the difference between therapist and counselor, Nice try.

One of the struggles here with posters is differentiating between counselors/staff and therapists.  One is licensed by the state and the other doesnt need to be.  We all know that but you like to mislead the readers.... we all know that and that is why I am here.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
The therapist is licensed and needs to adhere to the HIPPA laws which they do. The counselors and staff who are not licensed do not need to adhere to these (see DJ misread it, the counselors and staff don’t need to be licensed). Aspen education knows this and you just choose to misinterpret the posting.

DJ tried to blur the difference between therapist and counselor, Nice try.

One of the struggles here with posters is differentiating between counselors/staff and therapists.  One is licensed by the state and the other doesnt need to be.  We all know that but you like to mislead the readers.... we all know that and that is why I am here.
Does Aspen differentiate between counselors/staff and therapists when the kid is required to have counseling sessions, therapy et al? Is the kid fully informed prior to any disclosures, as to which conversations are bound by client-patient confidentiality, and which may be freely discussed with any Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes along?

Does Aspen ever disclose this distinction to parents and kids before the checks are signed and handed over? During the kid's stay? Or only after said disclosures have been made public?

Just who is misleading who here?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
DJ’s question is regarding Aspen as an entity, not individuals within that organization.
If Aspen is a treatment provider then they are a covered entity (as in req’d to abide by HIPAA)
If Aspen is not a treatment provider then the study of the “treatment” (they alleged in court to not be providers of while contending in their marketing that they do offer “treatment”) has no validity.
…and do please try to answer Ursus’ direct questions w/out distorting them
Does Aspen differentiate between counselors/staff and therapists when the kid is required to have counseling sessions, therapy et al? Is the kid fully informed prior to any disclosures, as to which conversations are bound by client-patient confidentiality, and which may be freely discussed with any Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes along?

Does Aspen ever disclose this distinction to parents and kids before the checks are signed and handed over? During the kid's stay? Or only after said disclosures have been made public?

Just who is misleading who here?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 09:34:56 PM »
Ha,Ha,Ha,... saw the word "consultant" and you closed your mind and ran lol.  (I don’t expect to convince any of you guys).  Its a good study and it scares the hell out of a lot of people here, I understand that.

The only thing that's remotely frightening about that "study" is that parents might take it seriously.  I'd love to see a peer reviewed, independent, study done on this industry, but sadly, one does not exist to date.  Behrens does not qualify because of her associations with apsen which represent blatant conflicts of interest.  I just don't understand how any can call that "independent".  It's BS, whooter, and you know it.  Nobody who knows anything about that study takes it seriously.  I bet even Aspen gets a chuckle out of it.

The industry is changing and it is going to get tougher and tougher to support your case with just pictures of the "Hobbit" and kids being forced to work in the company store at "Straight" from the 1970’s...or a 300lb guy sitting on a kid…… it just aint the same any more.  Those days are long gone.

And they said that earlier this decade, and the decade before that, and so forth all the way back to the events that took place at the Seed ultimately culminating in congressional hearings on "brainwashing" (thought reform) and so forth.  The very terms you ridicule us for using and the very term Greg Kutz used at the GAO hearings.  Sure things change a little here and there but the real core of it, what creates the walking talking billboard zombies (program saved me from deadinsane in jail.  i'd do anything for the program.  anybody who criticizes the program is a druggie in denial, etc...)...  that stays the same (only now most programs are smart enough to try and limit the outward appearance of eyez-glazed-over-cultie).  Things are getting more refined, yes, but better?  Not in my book.

Everyone here is slowly realizing that the kids are getting the help they need at these places.. there are over 500 programs today and the number of kids who have not benefitted from them are almost nill.

You just love to pull numbers out the butt, don't you.

Psy, I understand there is a ton of room for improvement but we cant deny that kids lives are being immensely effected everyday for the better.

I won't deny that's the outward appearance.  I would deny much good at all comes of it in the long term.  YMMV, but as i've said before, If there are supposedly all these kids who's lives have been "saved by the program" in the long term, why aren't they on Fornits?  Why aren't they anywhere?  I'd like to speak to one, I really would.

This is not the last study to be conducted and you can continue to find fault in everyone of them or start to read and understand the direction of the industry and how kids are being helped.  Its up to you.

If you were in a relationship with an abuser who hit you again and again, only to apologize each and every time and say "i've changed"... just how long would you actually believe it?  I've heard the "we're different now" speech far to many times and each and every time it's just superficial window dressing at best.

You and I both know that you take the worst possible thing that  happens in a program and then apply it to all of them.

No, I don't, but if a system is set up in a certain way, certain things are bound to happen.

Not all programs listen to phone calls or censor mail.. has it happened?  Sure.  But it doesn’t happen everywhere… you are failing yourself by not seeing the shades of gray.. the changes that are occurring.

Yeah.  now there's some change I can believe in </sarcasm>

There was a poster earlier who said we should do a study of the effectiveness of calling a kid a slut and a whore and screaming at them because they were raped.  Do you really belief that every rape victim is treated this way?  It  blows my mind that so many of you buy into this belief  and hold it up like some religious icon.

Maybe because it's happened in so many programs and reflects an underlying philosophy (HPM) that you are always wrong and no matter what happens it's always your fault.  Where this philosophy comes from is clear and even Lon Woodbury freely admits that the Human Potential Movement had a large and lasting influence on the industry.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 09:43:10 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
DJ’s question is regarding Aspen as an entity, not individuals within that organization.
Go back and read his post.  It was about a counsellor who wasn’t licensed... DJ made it seem like it was a therapist to mislead the readers here on fornits.  The scary thing is that DJ sells himself to be a therapist himself, yet he tries to damage others careers.  Nothing like the professionals I am use to dealing with.  Just a little weird if you ask me.
I mean we can look up the license of any of the Aspen therapists but we can’t do that for Dysfunction Junction.  We just need to take his word for it.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »
Go back and read his post.
Quote from: "Inculcated"
The question of his (that I quoted) referred to Aspen not individuals.

I’m following the thread better than you would like people to.

The scary thing is that DJ sells himself to be a therapist himself, yet he tries to damage others careers.  Nothing like the professionals I am use to dealing with.  Just a little weird if you ask me.
LOL, I’ll bet that’s truly a "scary" thing for you to consider... considering. I can see how concepts like peer review and ethical accountability might seem “weird” to you.
I mean we can look up the license of any of the Aspen therapists but we can’t do that for Dysfunction Junction.  We just need to take his word for it.
Why not? Well then, since you say “we can” then by all means do so. Do it for me, just this once…for the sake of open discourse.