Author Topic: Newton Madness  (Read 3033 times)

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Newton Madness
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
Request to add cupola evokes Madeira Beach dispute of 2005

By Sheila Mullane Estrada, Times Correspondent
In Print: Wednesday, September 16, 2009

MADEIRA BEACH — After a contentious neighborhood zoning dispute in 2005, a small cupola topped by a cross was taken down and stored away.

Now four years later, Father Cassian Newton, formerly known as Miller Newton, wants the city to let him put the cupola back on the chapel roof of his Christ at the Sea Foundation religious retreat.

The converted home at 13280 Fourth St. E and the foundation-owned duplex next door operate as a temporary residence and prayer center for members of the Orthodox Church of Antioch. Currently, seven people are living at the religious complex.

The cupola in question was the trigger for a zoning dispute in 2005. Neighbors circulated a petition demanding the cupola be removed and that the property owners not be allowed to operate a church at the site.

The zoning controversy was further complicated when former clients of the Straight Inc. drug treatment program crowded city zoning hearings to protest Newton's involvement with the program.

The controversy ended after Newton successfully sought a special exception to continue operating the religious retreat.

But, as part of then-Special Master Herbert E. Langford's ruling, Newton was ordered to remove the 51-inch cupola and 38-inch cross from the chapel.

The order allowed the foundation to keep three other long-standing crosses and a sign, but specified that "no additional signs nor symbols of any type shall be added to the property's exterior."

Langford also ruled that "by all outward appearances, the property is residential to maintain its compatibility with the neighborhood and character of the area."

Last month, City Attorney Michael Connolly said reinstalling the "cupola with a cross is not consistent" with Langford's June 2005 ruling.

Newton said Tuesday he has informed his immediate neighbors of the foundation's intent to reinstall the cupola on the chapel roof.

"I don't think we will have the same problems. We had a lot of neighbors apologizing to us for being misled into signing the petition," Newton said.

He said the cross and cupola have been in the garage too long.

"The cupola was a donation from one of our supporters and his feelings were hurt when we had to take it down. We are trying to correct that," Newton said.

The cupola would be placed on the rear of the chapel roof, about 15 feet farther back from its original location. Newton's application points to five similar cupolas in the area, including one that has a cross.

Paula Cohen, the city's planning and zoning director, said Newton's request requires a special exception and cannot be approved unless first reviewed by the city's Planning Commission and subsequently agreed to by the city's current special master, James Denhardt.

The Planning Commission is scheduled to meet on Oct. 12.

Newton's request could be heard at the following special master hearing on Oct. 26, according to Cohen.

http://http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/request-to-add-cupola-evokes-madeira-beach-dispute-of-2005/1036442
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Re: Newton Madness
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »
Who gives a fuck about the cupola! Who are the 6 other people living under Virgil's tyranny with Ruthanne???
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:24:22 AM »
Time for a sorte, by land and sea.
 :bs:  :rasta:  :soapbox:
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
Father Cassian touched my junk liberally.  He picked me up in his Christ-by-the-Seamobile and............

Whoever those six people are, they are definitely fucked up by now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:10:29 AM »
No worries, remember, wood is flammable. If the cupola goes up, it's the highest part of the area and WHAM! Mother Nature could eventually "take her  course" and throw down some nasty lightnin',  :roflmao:

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:14:29 AM »
Quote from: "Those People"
No worries, remember, wood is flammable. If the cupola goes up, it's the highest part of the area and WHAM! Mother Nature could eventually "take her  course" and throw down some nasty lightnin',  :roflmao:
LOL god's punshment

:seg:
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:49 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Those People"
LOL god's punshment

:seg:

Anyone have a tesla coil? We could speed up that process nicely.

Ah, fuck it. I just want a tesla coil.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »
too small

Something like this would do, though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-AS13fl30
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »

Just a thought....

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »
help, my cupola has been buttraped by a flaming man in tights

works for me.

although I think it should be roadhoused by swayze.

RIP, my man.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
too small

Something like this would do, though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-AS13fl30

I say we load this puppy up on a big rig, park it right next to that "church" and turn it on...  ::OMG::  even the cops wouldn't dare come too close would they?

LOL... The Military would probably launch a missle strike on it, destroying it and damn near everything else within a 1/4 mile radius...

case closed, national attention and well, just make sure you run away after you flip the switch...  :roflmao:  ::unhappy::  ::unhappy::  ::OMG::

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
Who gives a fuck about the cupola! Who are the 6 other people living under Virgil's tyranny with Ruthanne???
Yeah who are the new crop of defrauded bastards,is this property zoned for multi family occupancy, and will the deluded,pompous fuck ever learn?
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 06:44:29 AM »
A "deluded,pompous fuck ever learn", Hmmmm, rather oxymoronic...With a history of being a "deluded,pompous fuck" for such a long time now, my guess and prediction is that the "deluded,pompous fuck" won't ever learn, but continue to be the "deluded,pompous fuck" he has always been.

Quote from: "seamus"
Quote from: "Antigen"
Yeah who are the new crop of defrauded bastards,is this property zoned for multi family occupancy, and will the deluded,pompous fuck ever learn?
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
maybe I should go down to Mad Beach and address the planning commission...been addressing these types of boards/commissions for over 20 years.  I had mucho fun in 2005; I'm up for it again.

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »
Oh No!
Here he comes again!
That little guy with the curly red hair!

Brings a mile wide grin to my face.

Give em hell,Mike.Screw with them once for me.Give this Miller a compact Costa Rican travel guide.I'll introduce him to a whole new form of Southern Hospitality!