Author Topic: Second Nature Wilderness Program  (Read 31165 times)

Offline WorriedAnne

• View Profile
Second Nature Wilderness Program
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:56:57 AM »
I know that this site is very much against all programs of any kind, but I just wanted to post our own success story (for the moment at least !).

Our son, aged 15, was out of control, constantly angry and depressed, not eating to the point of anorexia, failing school and using pot and alcohol to such a point that he couldn't function.

On the recommendation of an educational consultant (long story), we sent him to Second Nature in Utah, where he spent nine weeks.  Last week I went to the campsite and spent the day and a night with the group, and then left with my son the next day, to take him to his "aftercare" as they call it.

And our son was absolutely transformed.  He said it saved his life.  He is happy, calm, funny, and gained nearly 20 pounds while he was in the program.  He's proud that he can do that fire thing with the bow, that he survived tough hikes, and that he can cook over a fire.  He is really a totally changed young man, and he said without Second Nature he couldn't have done it.

I found the staff to be good, but the therapist in charge of our son was exceptional, absolutely outstanding.  Very understanding and still pointing out the sensitive issues in a way that we could all make some changes in communication so we don't all blow up all the time, as we've been doing for the past year.

So I thought I'd post something incredibly positive.  I am thrilled to have my son back, in good shape, physically and mentally, and I was extremely impressed with the care of the boys, both physical and emotional.  I know this program doesn't work with all boys, but it worked with our son.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Second Nature Wilderness Program
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:37:36 AM »
^^^ thewho.

Second Nature Wilderness Camp in Duchesne, UT (additional locations in Santa Clara, UT, Clayton, GA, and Bend, OR) is suspected of being an abusive behavior modification program.  They consider Oppositional Defiance Disorder an actual disorder when in reality it is not.  During puberty teenagers’ hormones fluctuate creating moodiness and struggles.  This is normal.  Labeling normal teen behavior a disorder is damaging to teens and their families.  Beyond this, we find certain passages in the program contract disturbing.  You can read the full contract by clicking on the title link (as of 3/19/04).  One thing they ask is a detailed description of all of the child’s fears.  What possible purpose could they have for this?  We suspect they ask this information so they can use your child’s fears against them in order to terrify them to the point of submitting to any order in order to avoid further terror.  The signature line for parents is the most telling it reads: “I release Second Nature Therapeutic Programs LLC, Second Nature Wilderness Programs, LLC, all employees, and contractors from any and all liability resulting from our son’s or daughter’s participation and assume all risks in connection there with, including known and unknown risks. “  Basically, you have signed over your rights to sue if your child is battered and abused by anyone while in the care of Second Nature.  This is a dangerous request and one no parent should agree to.  If you have been abused by Second Nature, please contact us and we will post your story here as a warning to others.  For staff and background info

http://www.heal-online.org/secondnat.htm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:38:30 AM »
http://www.heal-online.org/secondnat.htm

This is a  staff list for Second Nature Wilderness Program(s) in Duchesne, UT, Santa Clara, UT, Clayton, GA, & Bend, OR

(we are working to acquire the complete records for ALL years)

We advise current and/or former staff to report abuses you witnessed while working at Second Nature Wilderness Program.  For information on your rights and how to take action, visit www.heal-online.org/blowthewhistle.htm.  If you were fired or forced to resign because you opposed any illegal and unethical practices at Second Nature Wilderness Program, you have the right to take action.  

If you are a victim (family or survivor) of Second Nature Wilderness Program, please contact [email protected] if you remember the long-term employees and from which years.  This will help!   Also, if you recognize any of these staff as having worked at another program, please send in any information about their past or present employment at other facilities and/or cults.  

Please don’t place your loved one in Second NatureWilderness Program and rescue them if they are there now.

Name
 Unit/Position
 Additional Information
Brad M. Reedy Founder ALL PROGRAMS--Brad currently sits on the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs Board and the Utah Board of the Department of Child and Family Services.
In the public sector, Brad worked at Loma Linda University Hospital,  at Riverside Family Service Agency, and  at Center for Family Development.  In private practice, Brad has also worked with individuals and families with eating disorders and other addictions.  Brad worked as a field therapist and Clinical Director with Aspen Achievement Academy and Aspen Ranch.

Cheryl Kehl Founder Prior to founding Second Nature, she was the Clinical Director at Aspen Achievement Academy (a therapeutic wilderness program in southern Utah) where she worked as a wilderness therapist and staff supervisor for five years.  Her experience also includes serving as the Clinical Director at Aspen Ranch (a residential treatment program for adolescents in southern Utah), as a therapist at the Comprehensive Clinic at Brigham Young University(BYU) in Provo, Utah, Wasatch Mental Health and the American Psychological Association in Salt Lake City, Utah.  
Devan Glissmeyer Founder Devan’s experience includes work at the Center for Family Development.  He worked as a field therapist at Aspen Achievement Academy.
Leah Halverson Admissions  
Shahara Davis Admissions  
Steve Kirk Admissions  
Tere Snodgrass Admissions  
Lori Armbruster Admissions  
Ben Pearson Therapist Duchesne, UT Location--UINTAS/Uintas Program--Ben began working with adjudicated youth for the Anasazi Foundation in the fall of 1997.  In January of 2000, Ben came to Second Nature.  
Bryan Lepinske Therapist Prior to his return to Second Nature Bryan was on the clinical team at Willow Creek School, a program in Provo, Utah.  He has also worked as a primary therapist at Vista Adolescent Treatment Center in Magna, Utah.  
Jake Blackwelder Therapist Blackwelder has been with Second Nature since 2004.
Jason Capel Clinical Director Jason completed his undergraduate work at the University of Utah with Bachelors degrees in Psychology and Physiology in 1989. While there, he worked as a research assistant in the areas of human sexuality and memory working with both human and animal subjects.  
Jason Dalton Therapist The last program he worked at before joining Second Nature was Logan River Academy where he worked for nearly 3 ½ years.  While working at LRA, Jason saw a large number of students coming from wilderness program.  Graduate of BYU.
Jen Murphy Counselor . In 2000, and for the next four years, Jen worked for Aspen Achievement Academy.  Jen left Aspen Achievement in 2004 when she was sought by Second Nature.
Jennifer Wilde Counselor Moving to a private facility in 1999, Jennifer worked at Island View Residential Center for seven years.  She has also worked as the Clinical Director at Willow Creek School.
Jess Jewell Teacher Jess also worked at Gateway Academy, a residential treatment program in Salt Lake City.  In addition, Jess completed an internship with ChoicePoint Therapeutic Services.
Jody St. Joseph Therapist  
Patrick Logan Outreach Director Formerly worked for Hurricane Island Outward Bound's S.T.E.P. program, an adjudicated intervention program
1995, parts of '96 and '97 Aspen Achievement Academy Senior Instructor and Team Leader (responsible for supervising and developing both rotations of Instructors in the field).  For 8 months in '96, Hidden Lake Academy as their Assistant Wilderness Director 1999 joined Second Nature as Field Director, helped develop Second Nature Cascades (Bend, Oregon), Information Technology projects, assisted with Willowcreek School (a.k.a. Willow Creek School)and continue as Outreach Director.
Shaun Woodard Field Director He joined Second Nature in 2000 as a field instructor.  
Steve DeBois Clinical Director He worked for Youth Care residential program prior to coming to Second Nature.
Andy Dunn Therapist Clayton, GA--Second Nature Blue Ridge--Andy worked as a field guide for a wilderness program in Maine and a residential therapy program in Hawaii for adjudicated youth.*  Andy arrived at Second Nature, Utah in the Spring of 2000.
Dan McDougal Owner/Partner/Program Director He then went on to work as a senior wilderness instructor at Aspen Achievement Academy in Loa, Utah. He was hired by Second Nature Utah to assist in the development of the field program at its inception in 1998. He has worked as a Senior Mentor and Field Director with Second Nature Utah. In 2002 he developed and co-founded Second Nature Blue Ridge.
Dana Karkotsky Parent Coordinator Dana worked for two years as a clinical assistant at Ridgeview Institute on the Child/Adolescent Program.  After working at Ridgeview Institute, Dana came to Second Nature Blue Ridge as a field instructor.  
Diana Gordick Counselor  
Erica Thiessen Counselor She worked both as a lead peer group counselor for two groups as well as wilderness counselor at The Academy at Swift River, a therapeutic boarding school in Massachusetts, before moving to Asheville in 2003.
Jeff Scott Clinical Director Jeff has worked at SUWS of the Carolinas as well as the Aspen Achievement Academy.  He has also worked at Charter Provo Canyon School and the Heritage School.
Paul Case Psychiatrist Paul Case, Psy.D. is a clinical psychologist who joins Second Nature Blue Ridge from Montana Academy, where he worked as a Clinical Supervisor and therapist for four years.  
Tony Issenmann Therapist  
Tyson Farmer Field Director Tyson became a backcountry instructor at Alternative Youth Adventures (an Aspen Education Group program) in Loa, Utah in 2001.  Tyson started working at Second Nature Blue Ridge as a field instructor shortly after it opened in December 2002.  
Amanda Lilla Admin. Director  
Mary Flora Counselor Formerly employed with Phoenix Outdoor wilderness program.  
Lu Vaughn Counselor Lu worked as a Program Director with Boy’s Clubs of America.  She worked 7 years with the State of North Carolina Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Center; Director of an adult "therapeutic community"; Primary Therapist and Clinical Director for an adolescent "therapeutic" boarding school located in Bahia de Kino, Mexico; Clinical Director for Coral Reef Academy located in Samoa.  She is still listed as the clinical director for Coral Reef Academy.*
Allison Hilemon Psychiatrist Santa Clara, UT Location--Entrada--Joined Second Nature in 2007.
Becca Carlin Asst. Field Director In 2004 she moved to Salt Lake City and began working for Second Nature in Duchesne as a Field Instructor.
Beth Fogel Therapist Beth is a licensed social worker in both Utah and Pennsylvania and has been working in her field since 1994.  Beth has experience with adolescents in both inpatient hospital, residential and wilderness settings.  Most recently, Beth has worked for Passages to Recovery.  
Charlie Carlin Counselor  
Gail Bramlet Office Mgr. Gail is the Entrada Office Manager since 2004.
Justin Stum Therapist Prior to coming to Second Nature, Justin was employed by RedCliff Ascent, a wilderness therapy program in southern Utah.
Lauren Roberts Field Staff Roberts has been with Second Nature since 2006.
Matt Hoag Therapist (Ph.D.) He began in the wilderness with RedCliff Ascent in southern Utah. He then worked for three years at Aspen Achievement Academy as a field therapist, assistant clinical director and director of research.  At both programs, Matt conducted psychological and psychoeducational evaluations with adolescents.  He has worked at both Second Nature programs in Utah, and done psychological testing at all four Second Nature programs. He has been with Second Nature for nine years and helped start Second Nature Entrada five years ago. (as of 2009).
Mayer Jeppson Therapist (Ph.D.) Mayer focused his clinical experience on at-risk adolescent and adult populations.  He has conducted psychological assessments and/or conducted individual and group therapy through St. Elizabeth's Hospital (a forensic mental hospital based in D.C.); the Northwest Child and Family Community Support Center in D.C.; the Juvenile Addictions Receiving Facility (JARF) at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida; Juvenile Detention Center (JDC) in Miami, Florida; South Miami Excel Shelter; University of Miami Institute for Family Living; Brigham Young University Comprehensive Clinic; Utah State Fourth District Juvenile Court; Utah State Adult Probation and Parole Salt Lake City Daily Reporting Center; Utah State Board of Pardons; Utah State Prison Sex-Offender Treatment Program; and the Utah State Prison Olympus Forensic Mental Health Unit. Before his psychology internship from September 2006 to September 2007, Mayer worked as an assistant therapist and primary therapist at the Second Nature, Duchesne site.
Mike Hench Therapist Most recently Mike has worked in the youth/young adult treatment industry as a program therapist for SunHawk Academy, a residential treatment program operated by Aspen Education Group in St. George, UT, and as the Director of the Medicine Wheel program, a wilderness therapy program for young adults operated by RedCliff Ascent in Enterprise, UT.
Paul Goddard Therapist (Ph.D.) Paul Goddard was Clinical Director at Aspen Achievement Academy in 2005. Goddard was the psychologist at New Haven, Clinical Director at Vista, and both Clinical Director and Executive Director at Adirondack Leadership Academy in New York.  
Rick Heizer Owner/Program Director Rick joined the Second Nature team in their first year of operation.  During his time with Second Nature, Rick has held positions as Field Coordinator, Assistant Field Director, Field Director and Program Director.  Currently Rick is an owner and the Program Director for Second Nature Entrada.  
Sean Roberts Instructor Sean also worked for Outward Bound’s Department of Juvenile Justice and DCF programs.  Sean joined Second Nature Entrada in the early fall of 2005 as a wilderness instructor.  
Brian Rossiter NO TITLE(?) Bend Location--Second Nature Cascade(s)--He also worked with the CEDU schools for seven years, as the Program Director for Phoenix Outdoor Education Center in Vermont and as Program Manager at the Ascent program.
Cindy Fogel Therapist Fogel has worked in industry since 2001.
(Dr.) J. Huffine (male) Therapist He started working in a wilderness program in Texas in 1998, before moving to Oregon where he has been Clinical Director at SageWalk the past five years.
(Dr.) Willow Huffine (female) Therapist  

(Second Nature Wilderness Program, like many other programs in this industry, keeps a "tight lid" on any specific information regarding their staff, qualifications, and practices.  Please contact us with the names of any staff of which you have firsthand knowledge or experience.  Thank you for your help.)

Last Updated: August 3rd, 2009

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
OMG I was there with your kid, what a small world. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your son is gay and had the time of his life sucking off all of us for extra rice. That's the real reason he gained weight.. well.. and he swallows. Extra nutrients!

:nods:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
OMG I was there with your kid, what a small world. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your son is gay and had the time of his life sucking off all of us for extra rice. That's the real reason he gained weight.. well.. and he swallows. Extra nutrients!

:nods:

We are getting more and more desensitized here.  Remember when we gave thewho such a hard time when he laughed at a survivors story?  That was mild compared to the posts we see now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 08:16:37 PM »
Quote from: "WorriedAnne"
I know that this site is very much against all programs of any kind, but I just wanted to post our own success story (for the moment at least !).

Our son, aged 15, was out of control, constantly angry and depressed, not eating to the point of anorexia, failing school and using pot and alcohol to such a point that he couldn't function.

On the recommendation of an educational consultant (long story), we sent him to Second Nature in Utah, where he spent nine weeks.  Last week I went to the campsite and spent the day and a night with the group, and then left with my son the next day, to take him to his "aftercare" as they call it.

And our son was absolutely transformed.  He said it saved his life.  He is happy, calm, funny, and gained nearly 20 pounds while he was in the program.  He's proud that he can do that fire thing with the bow, that he survived tough hikes, and that he can cook over a fire.  He is really a totally changed young man, and he said without Second Nature he couldn't have done it.

I found the staff to be good, but the therapist in charge of our son was exceptional, absolutely outstanding.  Very understanding and still pointing out the sensitive issues in a way that we could all make some changes in communication so we don't all blow up all the time, as we've been doing for the past year.

So I thought I'd post something incredibly positive.  I am thrilled to have my son back, in good shape, physically and mentally, and I was extremely impressed with the care of the boys, both physical and emotional.  I know this program doesn't work with all boys, but it worked with our son.

The Who ^^. It posted within minutes of it's post here
by Guest » Yesterday, 11:42
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27219&start=105

It has also claimed to be an AARC insider providing positive info it, and the poster Robert Bruce.
It is thought to be this kid killer:
http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Reuben_J ... 46382.aspx
John David Reuben, Chairman/ Founder of Saving Teens In Crisis Collaborative (STICC), Sudbury, MA, 877-249-1336, announced the proceeds

It killed it's son by torturing him at Academy at Swift River and SUWS Wilderness Programs. His son O.D'd  after being driven half-mad and to despair at these private extra-judicial gulags. Academy at Swift River and SUWS Wilderness Programshas caused the death of  many detainees. John David's son, Michael Joshua Reuben , was just one of them. Jd killed his son and he wants more victims
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=27903

JD call the one son you didn't kill.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »
I like how the "guest" instantly knows who my son is.  
And I like the balanced dialogue, and the civilized tone of voice.
I don't care if my son is gay or straight, I just hope he is more polite and balanced than most people who post on this site.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »
I just hope he is more polite and balanced than most people who post on this site.

He is more polite and mentally stable than people on this website.  People on this website are idiots!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »
Quote from: "polite guest"
I like how the "guest" instantly knows who my son is.  
And I like the balanced dialogue, and the civilized tone of voice.
I don't care if my son is gay or straight, I just hope he is more polite and balanced than most people who post on this site.

Thanks worriedAnnie,  I appreciate the time you took to post something positive.  Your story is an oasis here and typical of most parents experience from 2nd nature, its just that many dont post here or find their way to this wayward site.
I wish you and your son all the happiness you deserve and need to catch up on.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:20:51 PM »
A while back I interviewed and ex second nature employee. She gave me an earful.  She told me about, for example, how the staff had a rulebook they were supposed to follow but were given oral orders frequently that contradicted those rules (resulting in sub-par treatment of the kids).  Other than that I don't remember the specifics (it was a long time ago), but I do remember her overall review of the place was not positive.  I believe she's posted on this site as well in another Second Nature thread.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
^^^ thewho.

Second Nature Wilderness Camp in Duchesne, UT (additional locations in Santa Clara, UT, Clayton, GA, and Bend, OR) is suspected of being an abusive behavior modification program.  They consider Oppositional Defiance Disorder an actual disorder when in reality it is not.

Techincally, it's in the DSM so it is.  The question is whether an educational consultant or a parent can apply that diagnosis.  ODD in the DSM is very clearly distinguished between it and normal teenage rebellion.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 12:57:50 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
^^^ thewho.

Second Nature Wilderness Camp in Duchesne, UT (additional locations in Santa Clara, UT, Clayton, GA, and Bend, OR) is suspected of being an abusive behavior modification program.  They consider Oppositional Defiance Disorder an actual disorder when in reality it is not.

Techincally, it's in the DSM so it is.  The question is whether an educational consultant or a parent can apply that diagnosis.  ODD in the DSM is very clearly distinguished between it and normal teenage rebellion.

No it's not. My BF was diagnosed with it by a real psychiatrist. Oppositional defiant is defined by opposing authority "often." How does that distinguish it between "normal" teen rebellion and abnormal? What the hell is "normal" teen rebellion, anyway? Who are these motherfuckers to decide what a "normal" rate of defiance is and medicalize any opposition that occurs at a greater rate? What if the authority in question is abusive or dysfunctional? Should  the teen not oppose that authority at a greater rate than normal? Whatever their claims to the contrary, kids ARE inappropriately diagnosed and destroyed through it. There need to be some major class action lawsuits against the APA for this atrocity.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 02:17:17 AM »
Speaking of wilderness programs and sex, it happens all the time... at least when I was there it did. Its not like they handed out condoms so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the girls go home from wilderness with a whole new set of issues brewing inside them. I never saw a wild tribe like orgy until I was in wilderness, and don't think the staff don't join in. Parents have no idea what happens out there, it was insane.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 02:22:37 AM »
There need to be some major class action lawsuits against the APA for this atrocity.
Or against the individual Psychologists for malpractice.  Sue enough of them and they'll stop diagnosing kids as it on their own.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 03:19:57 AM »
Quote from: "john David Reuben"
Thanks worriedAnnie,  I appreciate the time you took to post something positive.  Your story is an oasis here and typical of most parents experience from 2nd nature, its just that many dont post here or find their way to this wayward site.
I wish you and your son all the happiness you deserve and need to catch up on.

Actually, it's been more or less proved by peer reviewed study, that it's common for participants in "teen programs" to encounter human rights violations, and abuses of all kinds.

http://www.cafety.org/research/121-rese ... -pinto-phd

"I have spoken with  professionals who are shocked by descriptions of institutional abuse that continue to emerge in unregulated “therapeutic” boarding schools and similar “specialty”  programs across the country.  In disbelief, people often ask, “How do you know that these aren’t just a few isolated incidents that have been blown way out of proportion?”
...these survey findings nonetheless provide compelling information indicating that there are far more than a few isolated cases of youth who are being mistreated and are suffering in programs across the country. ..these reports describe treatment that appears to be significantly below commonly accepted standards of care in the fields of education, mental health, child welfare, and human rights.  "

Meanwhile, Aspen education group has never authenticated or confirmed in accordance with any medical body's standards and practices that it offers any form of therapy whatsoever.

"Instead of treatment, however, Burton says [Aspen Education Group] cuts [teens] off from the world and put in a place where teenagers are "incarcerated against their will and without their consent for dubious treatment of a clandestine, undefined and unconfirmed nature."

If you weren't too stupid to have seen that, yo uwouldnt have killed Mike Reuben
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28657

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... n11484238/