Author Topic: My son is at CARLBROOK for an addiction to world of warcraft  (Read 4516 times)

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
Re: My son is at CARLBROOK for an addiction to world of warcraft
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 06:04:13 AM »
This whole thing just kills me.  

Online games as an addiction on the same level as drug abuse?  Come on!  First off, WoW is a Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game.  Much of the attraction is the social interaction and the people you meet playing them.  When I have played such games, for one I find them cheaper than going to movies every week.  You meet really interesting people and get to know them quite well.  In fact last Summer I lost a friend I had made whom I had known through the game for five years.  Died of a stroke in his sleep.  During the time I played, I knew people as young as fourteen and as old as seventy four.  Yes, retired people even play these games.  Even my dead friends father played, having gotten his son involved, and the father was sixty six.  The adults who played were all employed, the younger kids were in school.  I knew one kid who was sixteen when I met him, and five years later he was graduated with his four year degree, a year ahead of his peers.  Why?  Because we encouraged him.  

The "addiction" is that you can really meet some good people who you can actually get emotionally involved with.  And I don't mean sex.  When my buddy died, a was deeply saddened.  But the lure is the social networking.  Many of these players get together in places like Las Vegas or New York City, or some place where they meet up and hang out for a weekend, bring their computers and play together.  It is fun, a source of both entertainment and a place where some fit in.  It sure beats going to parties and having to deal with alcohol, drugs, loud music...  Much safer and innocent.  

And clearly if your child is playing it so much he isn't doing anything else, YES, take the graphics card out.  Most modern computers have a built-in graphics card on the mother-board fully capable of running the machine.  But there is no way in hell it will run a game as graphics intensive as an MMORPG like World of Warcraft.

Personally when I read the post it just seemed too much like an advertisement to me.  Just another angle, a new addiction to get parents to think their kid has a problem requiring abandonment and isolation to the Wilderness to be treated.  And when the last post showed Lon Woodbury responding, that made me laugh.  Because towards the beginning of the story, the woman, Ellen, speaks about someone counseling her on the correct program for her son, but then specifically stating that the person was in no way connected or affiliated or receiving kick-backs from any of the programs they recommend...  Ha!  They all do!  Lon Woodbury is the original kick-back king.  When I was at Rocky Mountain Academy in North Idaho back in 1984, Lon Woodbury, who was recommending programs to parents, had an office on campus!  I saw him nearly every day.  And all of those counselors at Rocky Mountain Academy went on to start their own programs.  Whether Wilderness or Boot Camp or Therapy School, not a single one had any education or experience in counseling, treatment, therapy, psychology, psychiatry.  None.  Yet all proclaimed themselves experts because they had used drugs or were prostitutes, or had harmed others, or were promiscuous in their past, and because they had been "counselors" at one of these teen gulags.  

It just amazes me that with the power of Google and Yahoo search engines that parents don't take five minutes to turn on the computer, search for these schools and get some background themselves.  And that coming here to Fornits, with thousands of posts that are negative by thousands of different survivors doesn't at least make them hesitate in sending their kids to one of these places.  And the two or three Guest posters and Anonymous posters who say great things about the programs but never seem to come clean about who they are.  Always asking for proof of survivor testimonies, yet never seeming to offer much in the way of proof that these programs really offer anything in the way of legitimate, peer-reviewed, independent evidence that they really are the miracle cure for every issue teens have.

And the story was perfect in how it covered all the Warning Signs sites like ASTART tell parents to watch out for.  Like rushing to make a decision.  Using professional kidnapping services to take your child away for you.  Limiting your access to your child.  Your child not having ready access to a phone or the US Mail to contact the parents or advocates 24 hours a day in the event they think they are being abused.  Places that are located in extremely remote locales.  Programs that don't even bother to professionally diagnose the problems of your child but insist they have the cure.  No clear-cut, step-by-step program guide detailing exactly how they intend to "fix" the child.   Or diagnosing the problems of the child over the phone or internet and then saying the child is in immediate danger of being permanently impaired if the parents don't ACT NOW!!  The story was a textbook example of how NOT to approach a problem.  

Lon Woodbury.... That guy just never goes away, does he?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline fhaye

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »
Hi Ellen

It is nice to hear that you started blogging for your son and that is good for you to seek help and guidance towards your son's addiction. It really cause you so much pain when you see your son got a problem in school. As a parent your much aware of his future and his education. Addiction takes place when interest got more of attention to him and can't get rid of his interest and craving for more. In this generation online gaming is getting a high percentage of teens that loves to play. What I could suggests is that look for a treatment that could enlighten your son on how to treasure life and his education and one good recommendation is through communication.

I've hope this could help you to give your teen a try on a residential treatment center:

What to Expect from Youth Residential Treatment Centers

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
Personally, if it was me I'd have hooked the computer up to an exercise bike that is wired into a dynamo. For every 45 minutes of peddling he gets 30 minutes of game time.

You wanna bet he quickly finds something else to do?

exactly.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:17 PM »
I would send him to therapy with Angela Smith of HEAL or no computer time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Jeez.  Can't parent's grow some balls and just cut their kids off from the net or change the password on their WOW account (or delete it entirely).  Extreme scenario: buy a computer not capable of playing WOW (either too old, or a newer model without a 3d accelerator installed... buy a cheap pci video card).  What in the fuck happened to responsible parenting.

ever considered kids play WoW on account of not having 'real life' relationships, friends, fun, or outlets and thus HAVE to do it through a computer?

Its just Secondlife with training wheels.

Why not take the kid out and socialize and do fun things out and about with their money instead of send the kid to a fucking program  :beat:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
The dorms are locked during the day so kids can't sneak back in for a nap. I am shown the "suspension room" where students are sent for a time-out for misbehavior or breaking rules. The point is for them to do some serious introspection and to re-think their behavior. I ask if they have to spend a whole day there and am told that sometimes kids will be there for as long as six weeks, eating all their meals there, etc. There may be multiple kids in there at a time but they are not allowed to talk to each other. Whether or not they are allowed to study depends on their infraction.

OP,

Did you think the suspension room was a red flag?  

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Bill Lane & Associates
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
A transport service will pick up your child and accompany them all the way to the wilderness program. They take care of everything, including rental car, plane tickets, food etc. You don't even need to pack a bag because the child just goes with the clothes on his back and the program supplies everything they need at the other end. The one that was recommended to us, and I will recommend it to you is Bill Lane & Associates. They are super professional, responsive and well-trained in how to handle situations where the teen may be uncooperative or hostile.
More on Bill Lane and his days at Synanon here:

BILL LANE: Transformed Transporter
    viewtopic.php?f=45&t=29820[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Lon Woodbury cult

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »
    Quote from: "RMA Survivor"
    This whole thing just kills me.  

Online games as an addiction on the same level as drug abuse?  Come on!  First off, WoW is a Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game.  Much of the attraction is the social interaction and the people you meet playing them.  When I have played such games, for one I find them cheaper than going to movies every week.  You meet really interesting people and get to know them quite well.  In fact last Summer I lost a friend I had made whom I had known through the game for five years.  Died of a stroke in his sleep.  During the time I played, I knew people as young as fourteen and as old as seventy four.  Yes, retired people even play these games.  Even my dead friends father played, having gotten his son involved, and the father was sixty six.  The adults who played were all employed, the younger kids were in school.  I knew one kid who was sixteen when I met him, and five years later he was graduated with his four year degree, a year ahead of his peers.  Why?  Because we encouraged him.  

The "addiction" is that you can really meet some good people who you can actually get emotionally involved with.  And I don't mean sex.  When my buddy died, a was deeply saddened.  But the lure is the social networking.  Many of these players get together in places like Las Vegas or New York City, or some place where they meet up and hang out for a weekend, bring their computers and play together.  It is fun, a source of both entertainment and a place where some fit in.  It sure beats going to parties and having to deal with alcohol, drugs, loud music...  Much safer and innocent.  

And clearly if your child is playing it so much he isn't doing anything else, YES, take the graphics card out.  Most modern computers have a built-in graphics card on the mother-board fully capable of running the machine.  But there is no way in hell it will run a game as graphics intensive as an MMORPG like World of Warcraft.

Personally when I read the post it just seemed too much like an advertisement to me.  Just another angle, a new addiction to get parents to think their kid has a problem requiring abandonment and isolation to the Wilderness to be treated.  And when the last post showed Lon Woodbury responding, that made me laugh.  Because towards the beginning of the story, the woman, Ellen, speaks about someone counseling her on the correct program for her son, but then specifically stating that the person was in no way connected or affiliated or receiving kick-backs from any of the programs they recommend...  Ha!  They all do!  Lon Woodbury is the original kick-back king.  When I was at Rocky Mountain Academy in North Idaho back in 1984, Lon Woodbury, who was recommending programs to parents, had an office on campus!  I saw him nearly every day.  And all of those counselors at Rocky Mountain Academy went on to start their own programs.  Whether Wilderness or Boot Camp or Therapy School, not a single one had any education or experience in counseling, treatment, therapy, psychology, psychiatry.  None.  Yet all proclaimed themselves experts because they had used drugs or were prostitutes, or had harmed others, or were promiscuous in their past, and because they had been "counselors" at one of these teen gulags.  

It just amazes me that with the power of Google and Yahoo search engines that parents don't take five minutes to turn on the computer, search for these schools and get some background themselves.  And that coming here to Fornits, with thousands of posts that are negative by thousands of different survivors doesn't at least make them hesitate in sending their kids to one of these places.  And the two or three Guest posters and Anonymous posters who say great things about the programs but never seem to come clean about who they are.  Always asking for proof of survivor testimonies, yet never seeming to offer much in the way of proof that these programs really offer anything in the way of legitimate, peer-reviewed, independent evidence that they really are the miracle cure for every issue teens have.

And the story was perfect in how it covered all the Warning Signs sites like ASTART tell parents to watch out for.  Like rushing to make a decision.  Using professional kidnapping services to take your child away for you.  Limiting your access to your child.  Your child not having ready access to a phone or the US Mail to contact the parents or advocates 24 hours a day in the event they think they are being abused.  Places that are located in extremely remote locales.  Programs that don't even bother to professionally diagnose the problems of your child but insist they have the cure.  No clear-cut, step-by-step program guide detailing exactly how they intend to "fix" the child.   Or diagnosing the problems of the child over the phone or internet and then saying the child is in immediate danger of being permanently impaired if the parents don't ACT NOW!!  The story was a textbook example of how NOT to approach a problem.  

Lon Woodbury.... That guy just never goes away, does he?

It does seem to be some kinda marketing gambit. Where is Lon Woodbury responding? I didn't see that. I'd like to respond to the murderer himself