Author Topic: Appropiate Cross Creek Chronicle Image  (Read 2066 times)

Offline anythinganyone

• View Profile
Appropiate Cross Creek Chronicle Image
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »

Hahaha, "Environmentally Friendly Brain Wash"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Appropiate Cross Creek Chronicle Image
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:08:59 AM »
It seems now they hardly deny the brainwashing... just justify it as somehow necessary.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline M_Hilton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »
wait wut did they just pretty much admit to brain washing and people are just brushing this off
*facepalm*

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
Quote from: "M_Hilton"
wait wut did they just pretty much admit to brain washing and people are just brushing this off
*facepalm*
Some programs admit to it with a slight tongue in cheek.  At Benchmark I mentioned brainwashing once and was told "maybe your brain needs a little washing".  Similar things were told almost verbatim to people at other programs.  They twist the meaning of the word around to make it sound like a good thing.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
*facepalm*
Some programs admit to it with a slight tongue in cheek.  At Benchmark I mentioned brainwashing once and was told "maybe your brain needs a little washing".  Similar things were told almost verbatim to people at other programs.  They twist the meaning of the word around to make it sound like a good thing.
I must admit, at first glance I thought it was a parody.

A closer look, however, makes it a bit more sinister for me. The slight tongue in cheek is a way of making the whole concept more palatable to you. "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down." The subtle jesting tone serves to trivialize what actually goes on in these places ... unless you happen to know better.

A lot of advertising campaigns that deal with controversial products seem to be employing methods similar to this. Note the funky retro "laundry" detergent box. This advertisement ... er, "article" ... is deliberately meant to appeal on several levels in an ambiguous way.

It doesn't matter whether you get the point they want you to get, or whether you even agree with them entirely. What matters is that you've dwelt on the issue for a period of time (by reading the "article"), and that you have vague associations with it stored in your memory, some of which are positive.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline M_Hilton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 06:40:19 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
*facepalm*

It doesn't matter whether you get the point they want you to get, or whether you even agree with them entirely. What matters is that you've dwelt on the issue for a period of time (by reading the "article"), and that you have vague associations with it stored in your memory, none of which are positive.

i fixed it for you

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: How to manage comsumer perceptions and associations
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
*facepalm*
Some programs admit to it with a slight tongue in cheek. At Benchmark I mentioned brainwashing once and was told "maybe your brain needs a little washing". Similar things were told almost verbatim to people at other programs. They twist the meaning of the word around to make it sound like a good thing.
It doesn't matter whether you get the point they want you to get, or whether you even agree with them entirely. What matters is that you've dwelt on the issue for a period of time (by reading the "article"), and that you have vague associations with it stored in your memory, none of which are positive.
i fixed it for you

No. I really did mean:

It doesn't matter whether you get the point they want you to get, or whether you even agree with them entirely. What matters is that you've dwelt on the issue for a period of time (by reading the "article"), and that you have vague associations with it stored in your memory, some of which are positive.[/list]

The point is they are trying to get you to store positive associations in your subconscious, where critical thinking and deductive reasoning don't dwell.

Consider this statement made by Leo Burnett, founder of Leo Burnett Worldwide, Inc., the latter being Philip Morris'* main squeeze in the marketing realm, regarding how to "create and manage consumers' perceptions of a brand":

"Before you can have a share of market you must have a share of mind--by share of mind I mean a pleasing personality, widely accepted--an instinctive, emotional and spontaneous expression of a predisposition to buy a certain brand. You can attain a temporary share of market with a new product or smart promotion, but to enjoy a really healthy share of market in 1958, you have to start now, in 1955, to build share of mind."

Leo Burnett, Founding Chairman
      [/color][/b][/list]

* Now known as Altria Group, Inc. (since 2003). In the wake of negative publicity during the spate of tobacco industry trials (including the issue of their advertising to minors), Philip Morris changed their name.
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------