Author Topic: Another death last week at an Aspen program  (Read 18899 times)

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Another death last week at an Aspen program
« on: September 02, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
Another teen has died in an Aspen-run program.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... nd_di.html

Sergey Blashchishen, 16, died Friday, August 28, 2009. He had been there one day. This is not an isolated incident. We'll wait for the details to emerge, but I expect we will hear the familiar story of events emerge: The teen complains about not feeling well, and is ignored. Then the teen vomits, and is ignored. Then the teen collapes, and the staff on hand is not trained to save the child's life. How many times have we heard this story?

I am so angry. Please keep this boy and this family in your thoughts.

Thanks to CAFETY for alerting me to this story.

Auntie Em
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From The Oregonian

Portland teen collapses and dies during wilderness camp hike
by Stephen Beaven, The Oregonian
Tuesday September 01, 2009, 2:44 PM

The Lake County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a Portland teen who collapsed during a hike as part of a wilderness camp exercise, a spokesman said today.

Sergey Blashchishen, 16, died Friday after collapsing about 2:30 p.m., said Deputy Chuck Pore. An autopsy was performed on Sunday but the results are incomplete and a cause of death has not been determined, Pore said.

Investigators are trying to find out if Blashchishen, who lived in Northeast Portland, had any medical problems that might have contributed to his death, Pore said. He had passed a physical the day before he died.

Blashchishen was attending the SageWalk wilderness school, a program for troubled teens based in Redmond. He was hiking with a group in northern Lake County between Burns and Bend when he got sick.

"He said he didn't feel good and shortly after that collapsed," Pore said.

The Bureau of Land Management has suspended the permit for SageWalk to operate on BLM land, pending the outcome of the investigation. It could not be confirmed if Blashchishen was on BLM property when he collapsed.

"SageWalk considers student safety our number one priority and takes this incident very seriously," SageWalk Executive Director Mike Bednarz said in a statement.

Lyudmila Blashchishena, Sergey's mother, said she was told that her son vomited and then passed out during the hike, adding that he did not suffer from any medical conditions.

"We are still so shocked," she said. "He always did sports, never had any disease. How could he pass away just from hiking?"

Blashchishen dropped out of Parkrose High School last year, his mother said, and enrolled in the wilderness school on Thursday.

He had worked construction and lived with an uncle before deciding to go to SageWalk.

"He asked me to place him in the boot camp," his mother said. "He really wanted to change his behavior."

--Stephen Beaven; [email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Another death last week at an Aspen program
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
Mom sounds really clueless about the industry. Unwittingly, she took the equity from her home to have her son tortured to death.

September 3, 2009- Portland, Oregon  
Story Published: Sep 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM PDT
Story Updated: Sep 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM PDT
By Jeff Jaeger KATU News and KATU.com Staff  Video

PORTLAND, Ore. – A Portland teen who was trying to turn his life around died unexpectedly at a wilderness boot camp in Central Oregon and his mother can’t fathom the news.

“I just was shocked,” Lyudmila Blashchishena said after learning of her son's death on Friday. “I couldn't believe, how could my son die from hiking?”

Her son, 16-year-old Sergey, had left the day before for a wilderness camp in Lake County.

“While they were hiking he didn't feel so good and he wanted to take the break and he took off his backpack,” his mother said.

Moments later he died with no explanation.

“I was so worried about him because, you know, 16-year-old boy, a completely healthy boy.”

Blashchishena said Sergey was a very athletic teen and had no health problems.

“It's not like it was severe exercise like military boot camp; it was educational boot camp, adventure camp,” she said.
[MYTH. THAT'S WHAT THE PROGRAM TOLD HER.]
The only problems he had were in life. He dropped out of school a year ago, but he wanted to turn his life around.

“He asked me to place him to boot camp because he actually wanted to change,” Blashchishena said.

“It was very expensive for us so we took equity from our house to make sure we save our child,” she said.

He was a teen with so much potential who ultimately wasn't allowed the chance to live up to it.

“I expected so much from this boot camp to be honest, you know,” Blashchishena said. “How could he just leave us?”

Autopsy results are still pending, but Blashchishena was told Sergey likely died of heat exhaustion.

A memorial fund has been set up in Sergey’s honor at Bank of America. Contributions can be made at any branch.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:15:06 PM »
Another thread here:

Boy dies at Sagewalk
    viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28470[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »
    KTVL censors comments.

From the editor: Many of you [Who and SageWalk] have expressed concerns about some of the harsh anonymous comments from readers. To remedy that, we are introducing new features. You can create your own blog, publish your news and share your photos with the community. Once you fill out a simple form and leave a verifiable e-mail address, you can set up your profile page. It will display all of your contributions and allow you to track issues and easily connect with others.
    We want our site to be a place where people discuss and debate ideas that foster stronger communities. We built this for you. Please take care of it. Tolerate broad thinking, but take action against obscene or hateful material. Make it a credible and safe place worth preserving and sharing.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
    “It was very expensive for us so we took equity from our house to make sure we save our child,” she said.

Precisely why Im hoping (in a schadenfreude sort of way) that the real estate market will finally tank, if only to render the TTI irrelevant and out of business before people get back on their feet and realize that taking out a second mortgage on a house isnt worth the mixed results.

Perspective is everything.

Doubtful this will happen, though. The bubble has already burst, and for some reason, real estate in CA is still booming and overpriced. Ridiculous. Would be nice to have some good rental rates right now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »
    ....Further down the bank, in the shade of the massive Freightliner wind tunnel, two men were fishing for bait to use for sturgeon fishing in the Willamette. George Gonzales said he wasn’t sure what the health risks were in eating sturgeon.

“I know they move around a lot,” he said. “I also know they live a long time. But yeah, I don’t know about PCBs.”

Williams said his goal is to determine who fishes the Portland river, how often, where and when, and how much of their catch they eat.

”Over the years there have been different things said about who is actually out there catching fish and consuming fish,” Williams said. “We can go by generalities and anecdotal evidence, as we have been for years, or we can go out there and talk to the people on the river on a very regimented basis to find out what they’re doing.

“Those are the folks and the species of fish that we really need to end up factoring into our cleanup of Portland harbor.”

Lyudmila Blashchishena of Russian Oregon Social Services has warned people from Portland’s Russian community about the dangers of fish caught in the Willamette as part of a different outreach project.

“But many of them still fish the river and still eat the fish,” she said. “They give the fish as gifts or sometimes sell them.”

Blashchishena said immigrants are often less aware of environmental health dangers and thus more vulnerable. [Oh, the irony.]

“In the Soviet Union you never heard this sort of thing,” she said. “No one told us anything.”

People who want to learn more about the hazards of fishing the Willamette River can attend a public meeting scheduled for 6:30 p.m. June 29 at the St. Johns Community Center, 8427 N. Central St.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    To fish or not to fish? Think twice
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
    Full article and link here:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

PortlandTribune
    To fish or not to fish? Think twice
    • New warnings caution anglers of Willamette River health risks

BY BEN JACKLET
    The Portland Tribune, Jun 15, 2004

Some Portlanders would no sooner fish their dinner from the Willamette River than they would hunt for wild game in Forest Park.

Others, like Terry Gallant and Mike Klopfenstein, have been fishing the Willamette for years and have no plans to stop now that summer's returning.

So how safe is the Willamette for fishing?

It depends on what you're catching. The latest data shows that migratory fish like spring Chinook salmon are as clean as fish get, while resident fish such as small-mouthed bass are often dangerously loaded with polychlorinated biphenyls, toxic pesticides, dioxin and other contaminants.

As for sturgeon, the ancient fish that Gallant and Klopfenstein were pursuing on a recent morning on the Willamette, new tests show that they also contain some toxins, though at much lower levels than bass, carp and other resident fish.

State and county health officials are issuing an updated fish advisory this week and posting new signs along the river warning of the health risks of eating fish caught in the Willamette.

The latest data show that carp contain the most PCBs, at around 2 parts per million, while bass have about 1 part per million and bullhead catfish contain approximately 0.5 parts per million.

Based on those levels of PCBs, scientists are recommending that women beyond childbearing age and healthy men should eat no more than 8 ounces of resident fish from the Willamette per month. Women of childbearing age, children and anyone with a weak immune system or thyroid or liver problems should avoid eating any carp, bass or catfish from the Willamette, according to the health advisory.

The new warnings follow a massive fish collection effort performed two years ago. As part of the Portland harbor Superfund investigation, scientists caught about 1,500 fish from the lower Willamette and sent them off to labs to be tested for 399 chemicals.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency still has not released the results from those tests publicly. But David Stone, a toxicologist with the state's health department, confirmed that the fish advisory and the new batch of warning signs were a direct result of the Superfund investigation.

"We already knew (the pollutants) were in the river sediment, but I think some people are surprised at how much turned up in the fish," Stone said.

The study was funded by the Lower Willamette Group, which consists of the Port of Portland, the city and harbor businesses that could end up on the hook for a river cleanup running $200 million or more.

The study is expected to provide important information about the river's fish and the health risks they pose. It also could end up costing the businesses that funded it big bucks.

That's because the more polluted the fish in the harbor turn out to be, the more cleanup ultimately will be required, potentially translating into greater liability for industrial powerhouses identified by the EPA as "potentially responsible parties," including Oregon Steel Mills Inc., Gunderson Inc. and NW Natural.

Fish data long awaited

The lower Willamette's woes are well-documented. The harbor was designated a Superfund site in December 2000 after scientists found tar, DDT, creosote, PCBs and dioxin in the sediment at the bottom of the river. Frequent advisories from the Portland Bureau of Environmental Services also warn of raw sewage overflowing into the river during heavy rains.

But information about how the river pollution affects fish and the people who eat them has been surprisingly limited. The first study came in 2000, when The Oregonian newspaper teamed up with scientists at Oregon State University to document that fish from the lower river contain several toxins, most notably PCBs.

The Lower Willamette Group's study builds on those findings. In addition to bass, catfish and carp, the study tested suckers, sculpin, and juvenile Chinook salmon for hundreds of chemicals.

The Lower Willamette Group only agreed to collect resident fish and juvenile fish for their study, because migratory species such as sturgeon, salmon and lampreys move around so much that it would be impossible to determine where they ingested any pollutants that might be found in their tissue.

After several public interest groups and Indian tribes argued that migratory species also should be studied, state researchers decided to fill that data gap, taking samples last summer.

Stone said salmon came up "very clean," while sturgeon were "variable."

The state researchers studied five sturgeon just under the limit of 42 inches, and while the levels of PCBs they found were far lower than in bass and carp, they were worth noting, Stone said, particularly since PCBs build up in a fish's fatty tissue over time.

"These fish we tested were on the smaller side," Stone said. "With a larger fish, you would expect that they would have accumulated more (toxins)."

Lampreys, the eel-like fish that are harvested near Willamette Falls by tribal fishermen, showed far less contamination than in previous studies, Stone said.

Who's at risk?

Questions remain about who fishes the river, where and when, and for which species.

Travis Williams, executive director of Willamette Riverkeeper, is trying to answer those questions this summer. His group is conducting a fish consumption survey funded by a $50,000 grant from the Spirit Mountain Community Fund.

On a recent afternoon, Williams steered his jet boat into the Willamette backwaters near the Swan Island boat ramp.

Floating trash and discolored water around a nearby outfall pipe didn't stop several people in lawn chairs from casting for panfish.

"My son's a big-time fisherman," Clarence Dorn said. "He talked me into giving it a try here. Whatever he brings home, we eat. I got a granddaughter who just loves it. Put a plate in front of her, she gobbles it up."

Further down the bank, in the shade of the massive Freightliner wind tunnel, two men were fishing for bait to use for sturgeon fishing in the Willamette. George Gonzales said he wasn't sure what the health risks were in eating sturgeon.

"I know they move around a lot," he said. "I also know they live a long time. But yeah, I don't know about PCBs."

Williams said his goal is to determine who fishes the Portland river, how often, where and when, and how much of their catch they eat.

"Over the years there have been different things said about who is actually out there catching fish and consuming fish," Williams said. "We can go by generalities and anecdotal evidence, as we have been for years, or we can go out there and talk to the people on the river on a very regimented basis to find out what they're doing.

"Those are the folks and the species of fish that we really need to end up factoring into our cleanup of Portland harbor."

Lyudmila Blashchishena of Russian Oregon Social Services has warned people from Portland's Russian community about the dangers of fish caught in the Willamette as part of a different outreach project.

"But many of them still fish the river and still eat the fish," she said. "They give the fish as gifts or sometimes sell them."

Blashchishena said immigrants are often less aware of environmental health dangers and thus more vulnerable.

"In the Soviet Union you never heard this sort of thing," she said. "No one told us anything."

People who want to learn more about the hazards of fishing the Willamette River can attend a public meeting scheduled for 6:30 p.m. June 29 at the St. Johns Community Center, 8427 N. Central St.

Contact Ben Jacklet at [email protected].

Copyright 2009 Pamplin Media Group, 6605 S.E. Lake Road, Portland, OR 97222 • 503-226-6397

• Registered Users
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:20:57 AM »
    Am I missing something? Did this kid die from eating bad fish? what?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: To fish or not to fish? Think twice
    « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »
    Quote from: "try another castle"
    Am I missing something? Did this kid die from eating bad fish? what?
    Nah... Guestoftheday posted a portion of an article where Sergey Blashchishena's mum was mentioned from about 5 years ago.

Said Guest found it ironic that Lyudmila Blashchishena was warning others from Portland's Russian Community about the dangers of eating PCB-laden fish, saying that "immigrants are often less aware of environmental health dangers and thus more vulnerable" ... given that, as it turns out, the environmental health dangers of Sagewalk ultimately allegedly did her son in:

Quote from: "Ben Jacklet of the [i
    Portland Tribune[/i]"]Lyudmila Blashchishena of Russian Oregon Social Services has warned people from Portland's Russian community about the dangers of fish caught in the Willamette as part of a different outreach project.

"But many of them still fish the river and still eat the fish," she said. "They give the fish as gifts or sometimes sell them."

Blashchishena said immigrants are often less aware of environmental health dangers and thus more vulnerable.

I merely posted the whole article with link for folks to get the original context of what Guestoftheday quoted.

• Registered Users
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
    immigrants are often less aware of environmental health dangers and thus more vulnerable

unfrozen caveman immigrant... your fish and rivers are large and amazing, they fascinate me with their sparkly brown sludge. In my country, our river is only polluted by what we shit out our assholes this morning.. I know nothing of these strangely named chemicals that I can neither see nor taste.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
    Dear Friends and Colleagues,

SageWalk Wilderness School is saddened to confirm the unfortunate death of one of our students on Friday, August 28th. At this time, the exact details of the incident are still being determined. The student had just been admitted into our program the day before, and we do not have any further details of what may have caused his passing.

No acclimation period required?
    And so much for the physical before starting the program. Unless they put the kid on a slanted treadill with a backpack weighing a third or more of the kids weight, in a 100* room and have him walk for hours at a time, then they aren't capable of assessing any potential problems.
    Parents have the misconception that their kids is going to be hiking under the best of conditions. That they will have access to adequate water. That they won't be hiked beyond their physical limitations. That leisurly hiking in the beauty of nature is going to turn them around. They don't understand that the goal is to push them as hard as necessary in order to break them down.
    This kids mother is right to questions why her strong healthy teen is dead. Keep digging. Check the facts against Oregon's regulations for Outdoor Youth programs. Get a good attorney immediately. Subpoena other participants soon, before they forget the details of what happened that day. Don't depende on the state or the program to conduct honest investigations.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »
    http://www.ktvz.com/Global/story.asp?S=11137730
    Redmond wilderness school suspends operations
    Posted: Sep 15, 2009 08:14 PM CDT
    Video Gallery <1>
    SageWalk sends students home amid probe (9/15)
    2:12

Lake County sheriff's deputies served search warrant Monday at SageWalk Wilderness School's Redmond office
    Sergey Blashchishen's mother said her son had asked to go into wilderness school for troubled teens
    State DHS, Lake County investigating teen's death on first hike; offices searched
    From KTVZ.COM news sources

A Redmond-based wilderness school said Tuesday it has agreed to suspend operations amid state and Lake County investigations into the death of a 16-year-old Portland boy on his first hike with the school, in a remote area east of Bend late last month.

Word of the halt to operations came one day after Lake County sheriff's deputies traveled from Lakeview and executed a search warrant at the Redmond office of SageWalk Wilderness School, as part of its continuing investigation into the death of Sergey Blashchishen.

The school issued a statement Tuesday indicating it had learned the Oregon Department of Human Services' Office of Investigations and Training is looking into the Aug. 28 death about 60 miles east of Bend.

Results of an autopsy conducted by the Lake County medical examiner have not been released, so it's not known yet if a cause of death has been determined. The teen's mother said she was told her son vomited, collapsed and died, despite efforts to revive him.

Michael Bednarz, executive director of the school, declined to comment on-camera Tuesday to NewsChannel 21, but provided the following written statement:

A Statement from SageWalk

SageWalk Wilderness School has received notice of an investigation by the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) Office of Investigations and Training due to the recent death of one of our students that occurred on August 28.  DHS has requested that we remove all students from SageWalk until the investigation is complete, and we are cooperating with this request.

In addition, local law enforcement is conducting an investigation and has executed a search warrant.  We have not seen the affidavit for the search warrant and are therefore not in a position to discuss any factual matters or further details.  

We firmly believe there to be no basis for these actions.  At this time, the exact details surrounding the student's death are still being determined and autopsy results are not yet available.

SageWalk considers student safety our number one priority and is confident in a positive resolution to this investigation.  Over the course of our 12 year history, our program has adhered to the highest standards of care and we currently meet or exceed all industry and state standards.  We were the first wilderness program to be individually accredited by the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools, and we are licensed by the State of Oregon to work with students who are experiencing issues with substance abuse and are also licensed by the State of Oregon as both an Outdoor Youth Program and Private School.

Due to the limited information available, this is all we are able to communicate at this time.  

Mike Bednarz, MS, MBA
    Executive Director
    SageWalk Wilderness School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
    What medical tests were conducted to ensure the boy was healthy?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
    Killer Camps: Another Troubled Teen Dies
    Friday, September 25, 2009
    filed under: tween & teen logic
    Hear from a mom who is determined to make wilderness intervention programs safe for our children.
    KTVZ.com

Gina Kaysen Fernandes: An investigation into the death of a 16-year-old Oregon boy has temporarily shut down a wilderness school for troubled teens in Redmond, Oregon. Sergey Blashchishen of Portland dropped dead on August 28 while hiking in rugged terrain in a remote area. Sergey's mother told the media her son vomited, collapsed, and died despite efforts to revive him. Sergey voluntarily signed up for the boot camp run by SageWalk Wilderness School after his life started heading in the wrong direction. But instead of gaining the life skills he so desperately needed, Sergey died on his first day of camp.

This shocking incident is strikingly similar to what happened to 14-year-old Matthew Meyer, whose mother, Crystal Manganaro, shared her heartbreaking story with momlogic.

Matthew died of excessive heat stroke in 2004 after hiking for hours in a wilderness intervention program. The camp, called Lone Star Expeditions, is now closed, but was previously owned by the California-based Aspen Education Group. The same parent company owns SageWalk Wilderness School.

Crystal says when she heard about Sergey's death, "I just fell apart." Crystal has become a leading activist in the effort to regulate the troubled teen industry. This billion-dollar industry operates under the radar, without government oversight or intervention.

These privately owned and operated facilities are often exempt from state licensing and regulation. SageWalk operates on federal forestland -- and so did Lone Star when it was open. But the Feds claim no responsibility for the actions of these organizations. Crystal wants to change that. "If they're allowed to operate on federal land, then it's a federal problem," says Crystal, who went to Washington, D.C., in March to plead her case to politicians.

The facts surrounding Sergey's death remain tightly guarded. Crystal knows it could take years for his parents to learn the truth, but she suspects the lack of adequately trained medical staff is likely to blame. A report by Timothy Kempfe of Adventures Experiences, Inc., a wilderness camp owner with 38 years of experience, revealed the "hazardous and unhygienic conditions" he witnessed at Aspen-owned Lone Star. Kempfe reviewed the facility following Matthew's death. In his report, he wrote, "In this case, it is evident that neither the company nor the individuals working for this company knew how to provide the proper standards of care. The company had improper equipment, inadequately trained field staff, and an inappropriate form of discipline, which neglects the standards of care for providing a safe environment."

The Aspen Education Group stands behind its reputation for providing "quality care for youth and families for over two decades." In a written statement to momlogic, Aspen addressed the Oregon wilderness camp tragedy: "SageWalk considers student safety its number one priority and takes this incident very seriously. Over the course of its 12-year history, SageWalk has adhered to the highest standards of care and currently meets or exceeds all industry and state standards. We have extended our sincerest condolences to the family, as well as resources to help them through their loss," wrote spokeswoman Kristen Hayes.

The Aspen Education Group owns more facilities in Utah, Idaho, and North Carolina.

Crystal says she's frustrated that her cry for help to crack down on this unregulated industry is falling on deaf ears. "They don't care about the kids, they care about the income," says Crystal, who is urging politicians to enact federal legislation that would make these camps safer for kids. "I feel like I've hit a brick wall," says Crystal.

Gina Kaysen Fernandes is an award winning documentary producer and a former TV news producer/writer. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and son.

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/09/wildern ... z0S85GBIEU

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »
    Aspen kills kids.  It's all over the news.  They also provide no treatment.  It's been argued by their lawyers in court.  So if they offer no treatment AND kill children, why do people even consider sending their kid there?
    The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
    **********************************************************************************************************
    "Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control