Author Topic: AA in Hollywood  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: AA in Hollywood
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
   Admittedly, none. However I don't have to attend their meetings to study their program and their beliefs.

Go to at least one and please leave slips of paper with the link to the orange papers on them randomly scattered around. If you do that I won't post pictures of myself wearing nothing but my underpants.

Provide pics or it never happened.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 11:57:11 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
I figured, with your level of bitterness you were court ordered to hundreds of meetings, at least.

You know you kind of prove guest's interpretation of the tv show correct when he implied AA members see anybody who doesn't like them as having a problem.

why don't you try going to sit in on an open meeting.

That's why i visited that online open meetings.  Maybe sometime i'll visit one IRL, but I don't see the point.  AA members are the same online as they are IRL -- and online I don't have to worry about somebody bashing my head in with a tire iron on my way back to my car.

Everyone is welcome, and you should share your concerns with them.

Even as diplomatic as I was, I sure didn't feel welcome.  Some were nice and answered my questions. Vast majority were not.  One even apologized privately.

They might smirk when you mention you think AA is a cult

No.  They asked if I believed that and I specifically said AA is not a cult, though it shares some cult-like elements.  Even cult expert Steve Hassan believes that.  Why don't you read "AA, Cult or Cure" by Charles Bufe.  It goes into detail about this issue. (and no, that book was not discussed).

By telling survivors who might be addicted to avoid AA because it's a cult and just like a program will cost lives. Can you really live with that on your conscience?

And again you prove guest and myself correct by implying that any ideas criticizing AA are dangerous and must not be expressed.  Just a few posts ago I wrote "I was told that my ideas were dangerous, especially to newcomers. I get the feeling that the screenwriters for the particular episode you are describing were trying to dispel some of those "dangerous" ideas"  It's eerily similar to what you're saying right now.

But to your question.  Since any studies about AA have shown it to be so ineffective it actually has a negative success rate, I believe recommending AA would be the greater risk as opposed to no treatment at all.  If you have any information showing the opposite, I challenge you to present it, though I warn you, it's never been done. I dislike AA primarly because I truly believe that, statistically, it harms more people than it hurts.  If you take issue with that statement, prove it wrong just once, and I'll leave this issue alone forever.  The vast majority of people who have quit drinking have done it on their own.  Add that there are many other non-religious, more science-based alternatives such as some I've listed above.

Anyway.  Unless you have a study to present, we're done here.  I have stuff to do.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
That's why i visited that online open meetings.  Maybe sometime i'll visit one IRL, but I don't see the point.  AA members are the same online as they are IRL -- and online I don't have to worry about somebody bashing my head in with a tire iron on my way back to my car.

Perhaps you can reconcile your rabid anti-AA beliefs with the fact you've never been to a meeting. To me this is laughable. The fact you think somebody will bash your head in with a tire iron shows your complete lack of understanding of AA. What this quote says about you is you are no idea what you're talking about, and have a prejudice against AA that is not based in reality, only your own assumptions and imagination.

AA is welcoming to anybody and the people there are very nice and you can question AA all you want and people will only be nice to you. A tire iron to the head? You couldn't be more wrong! The only thing you might have to worry about after the meeting is people coming up to talk to you, giving you their numbers in case you need help. Unless you're allergic to donuts and coffee, I guarantee you that AA meetings are not dangerous.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 09:07:24 AM »
Ehh... Ok I'll go to an AA meeting to see what they are like. But do I have to stand up in front of a crowd and say, "Hi, my name is Che, I'm not really an alcoholic, I'm just curious as to what really goes on at an AA meeting. I do like drink, actually I have 4 beers before I can here, and I have more in my car. Anyone want one, because I've heard that drinking alone makes you an alky, is this true?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Ehh... Ok I'll go to an AA meeting to see what they are like. But do I have to stand up in front of a crowd and say, "Hi, my name is Che, I'm not really an alcoholic, I'm just curious as to what really goes on at an AA meeting. I do like drink, actually I have 4 beers before I can here, and I have more in my car. Anyone want one, because I've heard that drinking alone makes you an alky, is this true?"

How about "Hi, my name is Che, and I'm here to listen."

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
That'd be way to simple for a guy like me. Speaking of which are these meetings anything like the meetings in the Movie Fight Club?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »
That'd be way to simple for a guy like me. Speaking of which are these meetings anything like the meetings in the Movie Fight Club?
Why not find out for yourself?
As far as being too simple for a guy like you, if you go to a meeting thinking you are way cooler and smarter than everybody there, you might be humbled.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »
I would but I don't speak Chinese. It'll have to wait for awhile, but I will go if anything to sate my curiosity.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 11:07:18 PM »
I would but I don't speak Chinese. It'll have to wait for awhile, but I will go if anything to sate my curiosity.

how the fuck could they have 12 step in china? they'd have to turn their lives over to like, what, four hundred higher powers?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"

how the fuck could they have 12 step in china? they'd have to turn their lives over to like, what, four hundred higher powers?
Or the state.

Still has fuck-all to do with not drinking.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
Why would anyone give up drinking in China? My god... Drinking is your higher power in China.. it is how you get through each day.. Without it.. life would be hell.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
Why would anyone give up drinking in China? My god... Drinking is your higher power in China.. it is how you get through each day.. Without it.. life would be hell.

victory gin or DEATH comrade!

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 11:35:55 PM »
This is China comrade..

More like..

Furniture polish or death comrade!