Author Topic: Home on the Range, North Dakota  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Home on the Range, North Dakota
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
http://www.gohotr.org shows a significant amount of Christian bullshit. It doesn't look like the same kind of malevolence as Aspen Education Group or WWASPS, but rather something.. else.

They are licensed but I don't know what the hell that's worth in ND.

They also take all kinds of kids including ones from shit families. Not much of a profit motive, it looks, but they're big on the testimonials and other similar garbage.

Anyone know anything about this place?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Home on the Range, North Dakota
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 03:38:12 AM »
Since when has being liscensed counted for jack shit in any state?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »
Home On The Range has a lot of connections to Boys Town in Nebraska. Over the years, HOTR has sent folks to be trained at Boys Town at least a couple of times, and at one time it even called itself "Boys Ranch." For what it's worth, HOTR additionally has local connections to the Fraternal Order of Eagles in North Dakota and, of course, the Catholic Church.

Earlier in its history, Home On The Range was also an option for kids whose parents could no longer take care of them for a variety of reasons; that is, it functioned as a long-term foster home. Not sure if that is still going on.

Modalities that I've seen mentioned on HOTR's pages include: Reality Therapy, use of the Character Counts! curriculum, EAGALA (Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Associations), and staff getting trained in reactive attachment disorder (not sure whether they go so far as to "practice" Attachment Therapy though).
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:50:36 PM »
Here's a blog entry from social worker Mike Gooch, who was hired as Clinical Director in 2007:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Thursday, October 25, 2007
Home on the Range

Today I will attempt to describe my new job and the facility. I know many of you have ask me about the place I now work. The name of the center is Home on the Range. It is over 50 years old, so maybe I cannot do anything to destroy it! It is a residential center for adolescent males and females. I direct a fantastic clinical staff that includes social workers, counselors, and alcohol and drug counselors. Needless to say, I love my work! But the best part is without a doubt the setting. The ranch is approximately 1500 acres here in western North Dakota. There is additional land in eastern Montana as well as a small track in central North Dakota east of Bismarck. The ranch itself has horses, cattle, a donkey, some geese, a few cats and couple of dogs. We have about 40-50 kids in treatment here at any given time. The average length of stay is nine months. The kids assist in the day to day operations and running of the ranch. The funny thing is that they actually love it here for the most part. Part of the treatment program is called EAGALA (Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Associations). I am particular interested in the impact of EAGALA on behaviorally disordered adolescents. I am also becoming quite fond of the horses. We have about 15 right now. I am trying to spend time with horses daily as well researching equine assisted therapeutic techniques. I am adding some pics of the facility and livestock. The Saint Bernard dog is about eight years old and spends most of his time hanging out in the girls dorm. I have renamed him Cujo although he is probably more Snoopy. Hope to hear from you all regarding your thoughts on the program and possible research ideas. One of my personal goals is to establish some university affiliations and begin a program evaluation. However, that will take some time. If you know anyone interested in working up here please let me know.

On the personal front, nothing new is happening. It is difficult for me not seeing or speaking with my children as it has been several weeks since my last contact. Lauren is now 18 and I can only hope she received the birthday present I sent to her. I hope with all my heart that her birthday was great and that she knows how much I love her and her brother and sister. I now accept the fact that it may be a long time before I can hug them and tell them I love them, but I am much more able to cope with such a realization now that I am in a place I love and feel secure. My biggest fears are the holidays, but I will find a way to survive. Again, I have to remind myself that others before me have traveled more difficult paths and found tranquility and growth in the long run. Someday I hope the children will gain some understanding of how this come to be and realize it was not of my choosing. I also believe that in the long run this will make me a much better father since I now know that I can take nothing for granted in terms of my children and that I must appreciate each moment I have with them. As I left my office tonight, I took a moment and gazed upon a bright shining moon over-looking the prairie. I realized that my troubles are small when compared to the big picture and that many who have come before me have faced much more difficult hurdles in life and prevailed. I know my children will prevail and thrive in life despite this obstacle.

Posted by Mike Gooch at 3:49 PM

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Mike Gooch on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »
Mike Gooch on Twitter.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »
what's the story with boys' town? My friend matt had this great tin with an ad for them on it, norman rockwell style painting of a teen with a kid on his shoulders and the slogan "he aint heavy, hes my brother."

both of us always got a real charge out of it, since we're perverts, and it worked so well with the daddy/boy theme.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »
U R SO SICK!