Author Topic: My son at Aspen Ranch  (Read 69169 times)

Offline decassipated

• View Profile
Aspen Ranch
« Reply #585 on: July 27, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
I was sent to Aspen in the Summer of '08 and didn't return home until the spring of '09. I did not graduate. In fact, I was shipped somewhere else to finish my program days as I proved to be too much for Aspen's unqualified staff to handle. I don't mean that in a spitfire sort of way; I'm not usually a problem unless provoked. But therein lies the problem, we were always being provoked. Not all of Aspen's staff is terrible, but it's hard to find the few decent ones buried under the rubble that was Loa, Utah. I was only belittled to my face on a handful of instances, but it was the way in which we were dealt with that infuriated me.

My very first day at Aspen Ranch was spent on ‘sick bed.’ I was ill due to cocaine withdrawal; that evening a staff called out to me as the ‘bulimic girl.’ Within the first week of my stay at Aspen, I had been forced into bright red suspenders due to my obvious defiance and inability to keep my pants at a respectful place on my waste. Trouble is, Aspen did not have my sized pants when I checked in and I was not allowed a belt due to being a ‘suicide risk.’ Basically, I was humiliated/punished for something I had no control over.

During my stay, we were forced to hall hay and build fences/run-ins for the mustangs out of cedar (I am allergic to both hay and cedar, mind you).  I think one of my fondest memories is when all the gold fish in the lake were poisoned (because they were so clearly a nuisance); the water turned purple and hundreds of dead, rotting fish washed up on the bank of said lake. Why would that be a fond memory, you ask? Because, dear friend, we got to pick up those dead fish as punishment one day for being late to an activity – community service, they called it.

They have this beautiful thing called a ‘haircut’ in which you get seated and told everything about yourself that does not meet the standards of those around you. Tell me how being told that you are fat or ugly or a failure, or stupid can be therapeutic?

And school was wonderful, as well. Four to five hours a day of trying to teach yourself geometry out of a packet is what saved me years later when I took the SAT’s, let me tell you.

One day, one of my teammates collapsed and couldn’t breathe. They took her to the ER and it turns out that one of the medications they were forcing her to take had given her blood clots in her lungs. She was away for days. She came back too soon and nearly fainted again that next week. Turns out, her parents had told Aspen that if she was not better by the end of the week, they would be bringing her home and Aspen didn’t like that. No sir, Aspen likes their money coming in steadily so they signed her early release papers and you know what? They had every right to, because when you send your kid to Aspen, you sign over a large percent of your guardianship to them.

Another one of our teammates, who had not been on antipsychotic medication when she came, was forced onto a handful of pills. Turns out, she was allergic to two of them and ended up having a few seizures on the floor of the main room one morning after a nurse accidently overdosed her medication. When she came to, she didn’t know where she was. She kept asking for her mother and, even though she was of level to call her mother (and it was the day in which her level COULD call their parents) they did not let her speak with her parents. She had two more seizures that day and we later found out that her parents were only informed about the very first one. The nurse that gave her too much medication confided in me the next day, saying, “That girl is such a cunt.”
I could go on, but quite frankly I’m getting a migraine just thinking about it. If you want my advice, as someone who has been there, don’t send your child to Aspen ranch.

Do yourself a favor and get the hell out of Aspen Ranch’s money-seeking grasp.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: My son at Aspen Ranch
« Reply #586 on: July 28, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »
Nobody should have to go through that and sorry that it caused you a migraine to think of it. However, I appreciate that you posted it.

As someone who takes an interest in the differences and similarities of various programs, I was surprised about the “haircuts”. The overmedicating sounds particularly egregious in the two cases you’ve cited and the senselessness of the humiliations and general indifference seems typical for most programs, the packets for schooling sounds all too familiar as well, and by many euphemisms so are the provocations you mentioned. That degrading feedback routine takes place in other programs and is called by the same name, but I had no idea that any Aspen program called any of their methods haircuts. Interesting.
Quote from: "decassipated"
… I did not graduate. In fact, I was shipped somewhere else to finish my program days…
Which program were you transferred to?
If you want my advice, as someone who has been there, don’t send your child to Aspen ranch. Do yourself a favor and get the hell out of Aspen Ranch’s money-seeking grasp.
Good advice.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Aspen Ranch
« Reply #587 on: August 22, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
I was sent to Aspen in the Summer of '08 and didn't return home until the spring of '09. I did not graduate. In fact, I was shipped somewhere else to finish my program days as I proved to be too much for Aspen's unqualified staff to handle. I don't mean that in a spitfire sort of way; I'm not usually a problem unless provoked. But therein lies the problem, we were always being provoked. Not all of Aspen's staff is terrible, but it's hard to find the few decent ones buried under the rubble that was Loa, Utah. I was only belittled to my face on a handful of instances, but it was the way in which we were dealt with that infuriated me.

My very first day at Aspen Ranch was spent on ‘sick bed.’ I was ill due to cocaine withdrawal; that evening a staff called out to me as the ‘bulimic girl.’ Within the first week of my stay at Aspen, I had been forced into bright red suspenders due to my obvious defiance and inability to keep my pants at a respectful place on my waste. Trouble is, Aspen did not have my sized pants when I checked in and I was not allowed a belt due to being a ‘suicide risk.’ Basically, I was humiliated/punished for something I had no control over.

During my stay, we were forced to hall hay and build fences/run-ins for the mustangs out of cedar (I am allergic to both hay and cedar, mind you).  I think one of my fondest memories is when all the gold fish in the lake were poisoned (because they were so clearly a nuisance); the water turned purple and hundreds of dead, rotting fish washed up on the bank of said lake. Why would that be a fond memory, you ask? Because, dear friend, we got to pick up those dead fish as punishment one day for being late to an activity – community service, they called it.

They have this beautiful thing called a ‘haircut’ in which you get seated and told everything about yourself that does not meet the standards of those around you. Tell me how being told that you are fat or ugly or a failure, or stupid can be therapeutic?

And school was wonderful, as well. Four to five hours a day of trying to teach yourself geometry out of a packet is what saved me years later when I took the SAT’s, let me tell you.

One day, one of my teammates collapsed and couldn’t breathe. They took her to the ER and it turns out that one of the medications they were forcing her to take had given her blood clots in her lungs. She was away for days. She came back too soon and nearly fainted again that next week. Turns out, her parents had told Aspen that if she was not better by the end of the week, they would be bringing her home and Aspen didn’t like that. No sir, Aspen likes their money coming in steadily so they signed her early release papers and you know what? They had every right to, because when you send your kid to Aspen, you sign over a large percent of your guardianship to them.

Another one of our teammates, who had not been on antipsychotic medication when she came, was forced onto a handful of pills. Turns out, she was allergic to two of them and ended up having a few seizures on the floor of the main room one morning after a nurse accidently overdosed her medication. When she came to, she didn’t know where she was. She kept asking for her mother and, even though she was of level to call her mother (and it was the day in which her level COULD call their parents) they did not let her speak with her parents. She had two more seizures that day and we later found out that her parents were only informed about the very first one. The nurse that gave her too much medication confided in me the next day, saying, “That girl is such a cunt.”

I could go on, but quite frankly I’m getting a migraine just thinking about it. If you want my advice, as someone who has been there, don’t send your child to Aspen ranch.

Do yourself a favor and get the hell out of Aspen Ranch’s money-seeking grasp.
Aspen Ranch's apparent SOP regarding medication sounds like a nightmare! How prevalent were these sorts of incidents?

Also, how did the goldfish get poisoned? Could it have been due to... the dumping of expired meds? :D  
(Sorry, couldn't resist. But I'm still curious about the goldfish.)
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
a talk by Foster Cline?
« Reply #588 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
Quote from: "NIGEL"
My wife just got back from "family workshops" at The Aspen Ranch.  The first day was spent in a talk by Foster Cline (the author of "Parenting Teens with Love and Logic").  My wife came away feeling that it was time well spent.  She also went to some breakout workshops that dealt with "teen issues."  The next day was more of the same, and then all the kids came and had dinner with all the parents.  My wife loved seeing our son, but also enjoyed getting to know some of the other families.  The next day was spent meeting my son's teachers and therapist. My wife thought that this was a very productive day and that my son came away having a better picture of how he was doing in his classes and also what he needed to do to improve.  They then had an afternoon off and ended by going out to dinner in Bicknell.  
All in all, my wife is very glad she went, but it was an emotional week for her.  My son desperately wants to come home.  He really feels that he has turned the corner and that he is ready to come home.  I talked to him over the phone and told him that I am proud of what he has accomplished and that I am evaluating everything and I want to make sure that when I do bring him home that it is the right time and that he is set up to succeed.  He seemed OK with all of this but he wanted to make sure that I was "actively" thinking about it (I assured him I was).
My wife had plenty of free time with my son and she gave him plenty of opportunity (by asking questions) to let her know how things are at the ranch.  His main complaints are that it is too structured for him and that there is no time that he can be alone.  He wants to be back in his room (and home) where he can make his own decisions and have some privacy.  
I go out for a 3 day visit over Thanksgiving (my son will be able to leave the ranch for the whole day), so I will have plenty of time to evaluate how he is doing.  I will report back.
Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, Nigel... I'm hoping you still check in from time to time...

Did I read you correctly above? I.e., that Foster Cline came to Aspen Ranch to give a talk or workshop on parenting? What was the talk about?

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
Re: a talk by Foster Cline?
« Reply #589 on: August 26, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Did I read you correctly above? I.e., that Foster Cline came to Aspen Ranch to give a talk or workshop on parenting? What was the talk about?

You read correctly.  We were given his book and asked to read it before we came to the workshop.  My wife went to the workshop and reported back that she thought it was very informative and well run.  If I remember correctly, she said that he lectured and then they had breakout sessions where they discussed the book.  The kids joined these discussions on the second day of the workshop.  

And for those interested, an update on my son:  He graduated high school and is in the process of moving into an apartment and he starts community college next week.  He is a very bright young man that chooses not to put too much effort into school, but he has stated that he is ready to start taking things more seriously (only time will tell).  When I told him that Aspen Ranch was closing, he had very mixed feelings.  His first thought was "that's great, now no other kids will have to go through what I did."  About a week later he told me that he was a little sad that it had closed because there were kids and teachers/counselors there that he did like and that he was hoping to go back one day and visit.  All in all, he is doing better, but still has a ways to go(don't we all).

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 26, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »

You read correctly.  We were given his book and asked to read it before we came to the workshop.  My wife went to the workshop and reported back that she thought it was very informative and well run.  If I remember correctly, she said that he lectured and then they had breakout sessions where they discussed the book.  The kids joined these discussions on the second day of the workshop.  

And for those interested, an update on my son:  He graduated high school and is in the process of moving into an apartment and he starts community college next week.  He is a very bright young man that chooses not to put too much effort into school, but he has stated that he is ready to start taking things more seriously (only time will tell).  When I told him that Aspen Ranch was closing, he had very mixed feelings.  His first thought was "that's great, now no other kids will have to go through what I did."  About a week later he told me that he was a little sad that it had closed because there were kids and teachers/counselors there that he did like and that he was hoping to go back one day and visit.  All in all, he is doing better, but still has a ways to go(don't we all).

Ha,Ha,Ha.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 28, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »

I'm glad to hear that your son is doing better, Nigel. All in all, it sounds like the pace is a lot more realistic (and based in reality) than that promised by most programs. Thanks for sharing that, along with your son's dichotomous reaction to the closure of Aspen Ranch. Those kinds of mixed feelings only make us human.

Some posts about Foster Cline, starting here.  Do you have any idea how frequently he give talks on the TTI circuit?

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
Some posts about Foster Cline, starting here. Do you have any idea how frequently he give talks on the TTI circuit?

No, I'm not really sure, Ursus.

NIGEL

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 04, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »
Quote from: "Wh??ter"
Some posts about Foster Cline, starting here. Do you have any idea how frequently he give talks on the TTI circuit?

NIGEL

Whooter,

Thanks for answering for me.  I couldn't have said it better.

NIGEL

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 04, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »
Quote from: "Wh??ter"

NIGEL
Whooter,

Thanks for answering for me.  I couldn't have said it better.

NIGEL
No worries, Nigel. I never suspected you of being Whooter. :D