Author Topic: Jaycee Lee Dugard  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Jaycee Lee Dugard
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... f&oq=&aqi=

I wonder if this story will bring about some understanding of brainwashing/Stockholm Syndrome?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Kaycee Lee Dugard
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:50:30 AM »
You'd think that Reverend Jimmy Jones and his bunch of fruitloops would have managed to bring about a complete understanding of Brainwashing.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
You'd think that Reverend Jimmy Jones and his bunch of fruitloops would have managed to bring about a complete understanding of Brainwashing.

One of the documentaries I saw on the people's temple interviewed some survivors... several of which were still in support of Jones. One of the guys said he felt shame about his father refusing to drink the kool aid.

Now that is some hard-core brainwashing.

Not exactly sure how he dealt with the fact that he survived, however. Im assuming he has survivor's guilt.

Not guilty plea for those two, huh? Id love to hear on what grounds.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 01:18:54 AM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
Not guilty plea for those two, huh? Id love to hear on what grounds.

Just cause jabberwocks are like that. Challenge everything, make the other side pay the freight.

But about Jonestown, no, it takes a LOT of repetition and reiteration to get a point across. I ran into a guy at a bar near Laguardia airport who was from Giana. I asked him what the locals thought of the whole Jonestown thing. I was on my way to Wes' funeral and mindful of conversations with him. The way this guy reacted reminded me of one of my first conversations w/ Wes. He drew in and heaved a heavy sigh and said something to the effect that they all thought it was some crazy shit. I got the feeling he was used to people assuming that that lunatic episode had something to do with Gianans. That's how I felt when Wes asked me if I had had a drug problem prior to the program.

Most people who were not close to that situation or who have not had similar enough experience to "get it" probably don't really understand. But the more stories like these make the mainstream new, entertainment and infotainment the more I think people will understand. At least I hope it'll go that way.

At the very least, I hope there's enough useful material out that that this girl and her family will be able to get a handle on what happened.

The perp should hang in a public square before a live national viewing audience.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »
I think more people are beginning to get that Stockholm syndrome is a real thing that can effect anyone in the right circumstances.
For example, my spouse commenting on this story: This sure is weird. . . I guess maybe Stockholm Syndrome is a real thing after all. . .
Me, slightly slack jawed: Yeah, of course it is. It is well documented. It is not an uncommon problem with the kids coming out of those programs I am always going on about. (Where upon I briefly explain what I mean) I didn't know you didn't know that. But now he does know. People are catching on.  Our problem is helping people understand that it takes place in these programs and why it matters.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »
I would have thought that the Elizabeth Smart case would have erased all doubt of that.

Scary thing is, when she disappeared, I called it. I said "Watch, some crazy poly fuck kidnapped her for his bride."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:52 PM »
There will always be suspicion of stockholm syndrome and with good reason. It's human nature to look at someone else's misfortunate incident and tell yourself I'll never let that happen to me. They must be stupid. Weak. Gullble. Etcetera.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
It takes a thousand voices to tell just one story.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 02:31:16 AM »
Him, I don’t care how schitzoid his quirks appear. He knew enough to conceal his crimes and, and to initially deny the paternity of the two younger victims, before announcing that everyone would find the truth to be a “heartwarming story.” Is there any penalty to be dealt to him that would seem sufficient? None that I can think of.

I wonder about the role of the wife. Is she victim or perpetrator/enabler? Wondering about it calls to mind the similar debate over Hedda Nussbaum’s role in the death of six year old Lisa Steinberg.
It’s pretty damned difficult for me to understand that level of fucked up. I try to understand it, but I can’t seem to in cases where victims become so damaged they’re capable of such an extreme disconnect. It’s beyond what I am capable grasping. I don’t even know if it applies to the wife in this case, but it’s almost certain that’s where her defense will go.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
It takes a thousand voices to tell just one story.

....but it only takes a small group of kids and a couple of braiwashed staff members to fuck a kid up for life

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Jaycee Dugard Case Highlights Flawed Calif. Parole System
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »
Jaycee Dugard Case Highlights Flawed, Overburdened Calif. Parole System
Some Legislators Fighting Bill That Would Allow More Parole, Less Oversight

By MICHAEL B. FARRELL
Sept. 5, 2009

Criminal charges against parolee Phillip Garrido in the abduction of Jaycee Lee Dugard have added fuel to arguments from some Californis Republicans and law enforcement groups opposed to changes in the state's parole system.
(AP Photos/Getty Images)

Criminal charges against a parolee in the abduction of Jaycee Lee Dugard have added fuel to arguments from some California Republicans and law enforcement groups opposed to changes in the state's parole system.

But criminal justice experts say the arrest of Phillip Garrido, a registered sex offender who was under GPS monitoring, for Ms. Dugard's 1991 abduction is just one example of why the state's parole system needs to be overhauled.

"Those cases are proof of why you need greater supervision for high-risk people. The system is too lenient on the most violent and too harsh on people who would literally not be on parole at all in other states," says Joan Petersilia, a professor of criminology at Stanford University and author of "When Prisoners Come Home: Parole and Prisoner Reentry."

On Monday the California State Assembly passed its version of a prison reform bill designed to reduce inmate populations in the state's overcrowded penitentiaries and cut prison spending. While the Assembly removed some of the provisions in the Senate bill, parole reform remained intact.

"It's pretty monumental what California is doing to its parole system," says Professor Petersilia. "Everyone will continue to go on parole but only 40 percent will go on real parole," she says. The rest would get what she calls 'parole-light.' "

That change promises to reduce the average caseload of California parole officers from 70 parolees to 45 parolees. Seth Unger, spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), says that some case officers oversee as many as 100 parolees and are stretched too thin to "spend enough time" monitoring the most serious cases.

But Senate Republican Tom Harman railed against any reform to the existing parole system.

This is what he told the Sacramento Bee:

"Here was a prisoner who was a very great danger to the community. The parole people knew it, he was supposedly being checked three times a month, and still he was able to perpetrate this crime that lasted over 18 years."

What's more, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association is calling for tougher parole supervision.

The new bill requires that all California inmates leaving prisons be on parole for a minimum of one year. While violent criminals will remain under active parole supervision, nonviolent offenders will be placed on what's called "banked" or "summary" parole. That basically means that those individuals will still be subject to warrantless searches by police.

Mr. Unger says if those changes were in place today they would probably have little impact on the supervision of someone like Mr. Garrido since sex offenders would still be subjected to parole supervision for a maximum term of life.

Garrido was convicted on federal charges of kidnapping and rape in the 1970s and eventually had his parole transferred to California authorities. Unger says Garrido's caseworker already had a reduced caseload of about 40 parolees of violent offenders.

The CDCR said on Tuesday that it's investigating why its parole division failed to find Dugard at Garrido's Antioch, Calif., residence during visits to his property.

"We don't see that his most recent parole agent acted any way but accordingly," Gordon Hinkle, CDCR deputy press secretary for corrections told the San Jose Mercury News.

About 120,000 people leave California prisons annually and are placed under the watch of 5,000 parole officers. While California places 100 percent of exiting inmates on parole, the national average is about 40 percent. The reform plan, which still needs the signature of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, also aims to reduce the number of parolees who are returned to prison for violating the terms of their parole.

Petersilia says about 70,000 parolees return to prison annually due to "technical violations" of their parole agreements. That often means they failed a drug test. Under the new law, she says, parolees would only be returned to jail if they commit new crimes.

She says that will go a long way in reducing overcrowding in the state's prisons system that is nearly double its intended capacity.

Copyright © 2009 ABC News
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Another Rape Arrest Emerges in Garrido's Twisted Past
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
Another Rape Arrest Emerges in Garrido's Twisted Past
Garrido Was Arrested For the Rape of a 14-Year-Old Girl in 1972

By LEE FERRAN and KATE McCARTHY
Sept. 3, 2009

At least one other girl was raped by Phillip Garrido, police said today, and they asked any other women who may have been victimized by the alleged kidnapper of Jaycee Dugard to come forward.

Lt. Leonard Orman of the Antioch, Calif., police department told a news conference that Garrido was arrested in 1972 for luring a 14-year-old girl into his car outside the Antioch library by offering her barbituates.

She ended up at a motel "after being given more barbituates," the officer said where she was repeatedly raped.

The girl's parents found her at the motel, called the cops who arrived and "took appropriate action," Orman said. The case never went to trial because the girl refused to testify, he said.

Garrido, now 58, is charged with 29 counts of kidnapping, rape and imprisonment over his alleged 18 year captivity of Jaycee Dugard, but he is also a suspect in the disappearance of other young girls.

Orman asked other women who were victimized by Garrido to come forward. When asked whether he believes there other additional victims, Orman replied, "I think there's a good chance of that."

The officer said the woman from the 1972 incident contacted his office after seeing news coverage of Garrido's arrest in the Jaycee Dugard case.

"She was concerned that he had continued to prey on young woman after the 1972 incident," he said.

Police confirmed her account by reinterviewing her and checking arrest records.

Garrido also served 10 years in prison for kidnapping and raping a woman in 1976.

While more allegations of Garrido's twisted past surfaced, the family of Jaycee Dugard was basking in their time together, reveling in childhood memories and admiring the newest members of the family, Jaycee's aunt Tina Dugard said today.

Tina Dugard described a joyous reunion for the woman who was allegedly held captive for 18 years by Phillip and Nancy Garrido and gave birth to two children fathered by Garrido. The sweet moments range from laughter over pictures when Jaycee was a child to just sitting quietly together with her mother Terry Probyn and her younger sister, Shayna.

"The smile on my sister's face is as wide of the sea," Dugard said. "Her oldest daughter is finally home."

Tina Dugard, herself beaming while talking about Jaycee, showed several photos of her as a child including one of her dressed as a punk rocker the Halloween before she disappeared. Tina Dugard praised Jaycee for raising her two daughters, Angel, 11, and Starlet, 15, on a limited education herself. All three girls, she said, are very smart.

"We are very proud of her," she aunt said.

"This is a joyful time for my family," Dugard said, declining to take questions from reporters. "We spent time sharing memories and stories and getting to know each other again. Jaycee remembers all of us."

Tina Dugard also warned against Internet sites purporting to be raising money on Jaycee's behalf and said there is a Website that is collecting money for a Jaycee and her daughters.

Jim McLain, owner of Viewtech Financial Services, which set up the Jaycee Lee Dugard Trust Fund, said they have collected about $5,000 for the family. Some of that money has already been given directly to Terry Probyn to help with the girls' immediate expenses.

Earlier, Tina Dugard gave details of the emotional reunion to the Orange County Register,

"I went forward and cried and hugged her [Jaycee] and held her as tight as I possibly could," Tina Dugard told the The Orange County Register. "It was surreal, and it was fabulous."

On the table, Tina Dugard said, sat a still-wrapped Barbie doll Terry Probyn bought for Jaycee for Christmas the year she was abducted, a symbol of a childhood stolen.

"We are all so overjoyed. My sister has spontaneous moments of joy. We'll be talking, and she will just suddenly burst into happy tears, with a big smile on her face," Dugard told the Register.

For five days Dugard, Probyn and Jaycee and her daughters, allegedly fathered by Garrido, spent time laughing, crying and holding hands, doing "normal" family things.

"I remember thinking, 'Wow, she's French-braiding Jaycee's hair for the first time in 18 years,'" Dugard told the Register.

Despite being held in captivity with meager resources, Tina said it appears Jaycee Dugard was able to home-school her two daughters, 11-year-old Angel and 15-year-old Starlet, who appeared "educated and bright."

"It's clear they've been on the Internet and know a lot of things," Tina told the Register. "It's clear that Jaycee did a great job with the limited resources she had and her limited education."

The girls could name the constellations and plants around the home, Dugard said.

According to Tina, there was an "instant connection ... it was almost genetic ... an instant sense of family for all of us," the Register reported.

"Right now, it's about reconnecting," she said.

Nancy Garrido's Role

Tina's comments were reported a day after it was revealed that Nancy Garrido, the wife of Jaycee Dugard's accused kidnapper, apparently kept the girl prisoner for a five-month period while her husband Phillip Garrido went to prison for violating his parole, her lawyer acknowledged Wednesday.

But Nancy Garrido's lawyer suggested that she was powerless to free the girl because she was under the control of Phillip Garrido.

"If she's being controlled, he doesn't have to be there physically. If she's being controlled, she's being controlled," Nancy Garrido's attorney Gilbert Maines told "Good Morning America" Wednesday.

"I guess I would say she's a victim," he said.

Maines said he has only had the case for five days and has met with Nancy Garrido twice. So far, he has not seen "any evidence whatsoever" in order to formulate a defense for his client.

Nancy Garrido faces the same 29 felony charges her husband does for Dugard's abduction. During her arraignment last week, she repeatedly put her face in her hands and sobbed.

Maines said Wednesday that Garrido remained in an emotional state and said she missed the two girls, Angel and Starlet, that her husband allegedly fathered with Dugard.

"She was distraught. She was frightened. She seemed a little lost, all of those things. She seemed to be like a ship without a rudder, but she understood why she was there," Maines said.

One of the many legal dilemmas Nancy Garrido faces is what she did during the five months when Phillip was serving a prison sentence for violating his parole in 1993, two years after Dugard was snatched off a school bus stop. Dugard was still only 13 when Phillip Garrido was returned to prison.

But Nancy Garrido clearly made no effort to send Dugard home during that time, officials said.

"If she was there alone with the girl for an extended period of time, then it would defy logic and common sense for her not to know that this is a stranger in their home and you know criminal activity is afoot," said ABC News consultant Dana Cole.

Maines said he talked to Nancy Garrido about life in the Garrido home.

"They acted like a family. It's sad, there's a lot of collateral damage in this case," he said. "She misses the girls very much. She loves them."

Maines said until he could talk to his client more next week, he was going by what he had heard about Phillip's control over her.

"But there's some things that make me curious," Maines told "GMA." He noted that Nancy met Phillip while visiting a relative in prison and got married while he was still in prison.

"The fact that when he walked into the parole office, she went placidly along. And later I'm told that when the officers asked if they could search her home, she said, whatever Phillip wants. If Phillip says it's OK, it's OK," Maines said.

The lawyer also noted that Nancy Garrido did not have a job for at least the last 10 years but stayed home and took care of his mother.

"Phillip's brother apparently had described her as a robot ... and did whatever Phillip wants," Maines said. "Until I see evidence -- unfortunately we have to go on the basis of evidence and not speculation. The people cannot convict with speculation, and I can't defend with it."

The Orange County Register contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2009 ABC News
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline xEnderx

• View Profile
Re: Jaycee Lee Dugard
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 02:00:11 AM »
This guy is a case study in deviant behavior waiting to happen. Personally it breaks my heart that the 2 children he fathered were raised in such a damaged environment.

He's a sick bastard with very little redeeming social value. Makes me feel like throwing up to think that his incarceration is being funded by tax payer dollars. Not only did he destroy 3 lives in this case (not to mention his record with abduction and rape), but he is further burdening society by being imprisoned.