Author Topic: MEL WASSERMAN  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
Re: MEL WASSERMAN
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 07:44:32 AM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
Serb has a pretty accurate description. I doodled what I remember about the guy, so, from memory, here is what Mel looked like. Someone plz verify if my memory is accurate on the matter.

Castle - your drawing is fairly accurate and could definately pass for the younger self of the Mel Wasserman I met.  By the time I met Mel age & gravity had taken their toll: his forehead was wrinkled and his whole face sagged a bit more.  Mel's face bore some striking similarities with a blood hound's. His hair (what was left of it) & Mustache had a lot more gray than brown at that point as well.  Like I said before - Mel was one ugly son of a bitch!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Loli

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
I still have to laugh when I  recount how much the staff glorified their great guru, Mel.  they would gather house around the pit and recount the miraculous wisdom he imparted.  Mel was like the Pope. Away somewhere, but spoken as infallible, in reverential tones. It was all crap. I remember Jill bentz said she had complained of severe knee pain/issues and Mel said, "Jill, you can walk." And she realized, "yes, I can! I can walk!" I'm like, no shit. You walked before Mel made this observation, and you walk today.  But she treated it as a big revelation - she realized she could walk because of Mel.
Yes, Mel was really special.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 09:16:31 PM »
Quote from: "Loli"
I still have to laugh when I  recount how much the staff glorified their great guru, Mel.  they would gather house around the pit and recount the miraculous wisdom he imparted.  Mel was like the Pope. Away somewhere, but spoken as infallible, in reverential tones. It was all crap. I remember Jill bentz said she had complained of severe knee pain/issues and Mel said, "Jill, you can walk." And she realized, "yes, I can! I can walk!" I'm like, no shit. You walked before Mel made this observation, and you walk today.  But she treated it as a big revelation - she realized she could walk because of Mel.
Yes, Mel was really special.

LOL. that should be the response to any complaint.

"My knees hurt, but I can walk!"
"I have teh AIDS, but I can walk!"
"I just saw someone rape my wife, but I can walk!"
"I just blew my legs off, but I can... oh, FUCK!"

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 01:56:59 AM »
I saw Mel is 1985.  He was extremely disgusting.  Obese, walked like a duck.  And I too remember the food stains.  But what I remember the most was him walking up to the girls, who had never met him, and embracing them like they were his children but definitely in a pedophile sort of way.  The staff really did worship him and when you saw him, your first reaction was...okay, so where is he?  And then they point him out and you're like... The fat guy who looks like he just fell out of the ugly tree?  I listened to him talk for about five minutes before deciding he was clueless, making shit up as he went along.  Everything sounded like "...and the fish was THIS BIG!"  And everyone went oooh and ahhh on cue.  Pathetic.

It was just as bad when Dan Earle suddenly became director.  He was coming up to RMA and they made about forty of us walk down the driveway and pick up all the branches and pine cones, remove any rocks large than a marble, so his Highness would have a smooth entry.  Everything got polished spic and span, like some God was arriving.  Same for Mel when he showed up.  Yet I had met Dan prior to his ascending the throne and was not impressed then either.  It would be like praising Caroline Wolfe or Randy Eide.  Pathetic people with nothing original coming out of their mouths except made-up crap.  

Mel breezed in to town, spew a bunch of nonsensical psychobabble at everyone, then poof, he was gone.  And I don't remember a single student feeling like it was a wonderful day that he had blessed us with his presence.  I think everyone was just glad he had left and the tension and feeling like a shit storm might happen any minute was over.  

Yes, big, ugly, foul smelling like he hadn't bathed in a week, big bushy 1970's mustache with a gut that made his thin black shirt bulge.  Not even a suit and tie.  Just black slacks that looked like he had swiped them from a Goodwill store, ass crack showing every time he moved.  A black tee shirt, bulging at the waist, belly showing, with mustard stains on it like he couldn't wait long enough to get to the wonderful buffet line that was RMA's feeding trough, so he robbed a hot dog stand on the way through Bonners Ferry.  Just a really foul human being.  What little hair he had wasn't combed.  And his face looked like he had just tried to run a marathon.  Sweaty, grimy.  The guy was really and truly disgusting.  

The reason you don't find pictures of him is probably because nobody would want a keepsake.  Look at a painting by Dan Earle.  Same grotesqueness.  His artwork is probably the closest thing that can truly come close to the horror that was Mel Wasserman.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 07:23:52 AM »
wow.
I wonder what kind of impression he mad on parents... Or did the parents never see him?
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline Loli

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 08:26:58 AM »
You'd be surprised at how a little charisma and cultic "I am the guru" confidence wins over parents... I remember one RMA loving parent saying he "changed her life" after a propheet. Of course, these propheets were soft propheets - not what kids went through.  Remember he was essentially a swindler. He could work it. He could make you believe you could walk.  The fact you already could walk doesn't matter. It's the art of manipulating perception.  But what a talent.

Offline LornFant

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »
I was at Cedu in Running Springs during 1977. Saw Mel Wasserman around quite a bit. He had an apartment there on campus. The doodle that's posted here does have a resemblance to him. None of the photos here are of Mel. He was big. Fat as well as tall as I remember.

Offline LornFant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 12:43:30 AM »
Dan Earle was one of the 3 or 4 staff that ran the Outward Bound I went on. He also went with us to Joshua Tree, was out there with us the entire time. I did like him though and felt like I learned a lot from him. The Outward Bound was really the only thing I found value in and actually enjoyed. The rest was pretty much hell. I was very surprised to hear that he became Headmaster as he could become very domineering. But, I guess, that was Cedu's way. This was all in 1977.

Offline fullspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »
I doubt there are and digital pictures of Mel. He die a long time ago and was a pretty private dude. I am sure he knew the heat was out there and at any point it could burn him.

The dude with the beard, Dennis D., is actually a solid guy. I think he worked there because he felt bad for us and he genuinely likes to help people. He absolutely NEVER had any outbursts or angry moments while I was there. He was always really chill and cool to everyone. He is the same way today based on the documentary. I would welcome him into my home if that says anything about the guy.