Author Topic: Dr. Dan Casriel “A scream away from happiness”  (Read 33140 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Dan Casriel "A scream away from happiness"
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 04:13:51 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
Incidentally, I also read a copy of Junkie Priest a few years back and was struck by how much of the Monsignor oral lore (as opposed to current PR) attributed to O'Brian by Daytop seemed to be strikingly similar (concocted to co-opt?) to the Junkie Priest (Rev. Daniel Egan) story.
Part of that was just the lingo of the era, which seems to have been especially pronounced in distinguishing itself from previous generations, but that may well just be my perspective...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Dan Casriel "A scream away from happiness"
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Incidentally, I also read a copy of Junkie Priest a few years back and was struck by how much of the Monsignor oral lore (as opposed to current PR) attributed to O'Brian by Daytop seemed to be strikingly similar (concocted to co-opt?) to the Junkie Priest (Rev. Daniel Egan) story.
Part of that was just the lingo of the era, which seems to have been especially pronounced in distinguishing itself from previous generations, but that may well just be my perspective...
My take on the versions vs. reality didn’t have anything to do with parlance.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Dan Casriel “A scream away from happiness”
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
Glad fornits is back.

I am wondering did any of the other programs use" Primal Scream" groups?  

elan  did and they were run by re-entry and of course the directors. It figures that elan used them since j ricci was from daytop and I think they used them.

from 74 -76 I saw primal scream groups. I can't forget the first one I saw because it was a little weird to watch a grown man scream  "I feel like a faggot" in the whole primal scream group situation. The clean up was also strange to me.

I was 15 and a half  year old naive kid from Virginia.

I know elan stopped using them but that was after my time and I don't know when they ceased.  One scream away from happiness... I don't quite agrre with that phrase.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:30:44 PM »
S'pose it all depends on how you define "happiness," ha! Some people are self-flagellating, kool-aid guzzling masochists.   :D

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Daniel Egan, 84, Drug Fighter Known as 'Junkie Priest,' Dies
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »
My take on the versions vs. reality didn't have anything to do with parlance.
Father Egan's obituary in the New York Times:

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Daniel Egan, 84, Drug Fighter Known as 'Junkie Priest,' Dies
By ERIC PACE
Published: February 13, 2000

The Rev. Daniel Egan, whose tireless work in rehabilitating drug addicts brought him the nickname ''the Junkie Priest,'' died on Thursday at a hospital in Peekskill, N.Y. He was 84 and lived at the Graymoor Friary in Garrison, N.Y.

Father Egan's work with addicts began in 1952, when he was preaching in a church in Manhattan and saw a troubled woman. She was addicted to narcotics and in need of help. He telephoned a number of hospitals in the city, he recalled later, but none would take her. ''She was considered a criminal,'' he said.

So Father Egan, a Franciscan Friar of the Atonement, became a certified alcohol- and drug-abuse counselor and a chaplain of Narcotics Anonymous. In 1962, he founded Village Haven, a halfway house for women who were addicted to drugs, in Greenwich Village. Before long, 8 or 10 women a week, most of them newly released from jail, were going to Village Haven for help.

''These women face a crisis the moment they are freed,'' Father Egan said in a 1963 interview. ''The simplest things become their deepest need -- a place to eat and sleep, a job, a coat to wear, a friend.''

His work took him far afield. He established a center for drug addicts a decade ago in Calcutta, at Mother Teresa's request. In an interview last year he recalled, ''She was like all saints -- very stubborn.''

Cardinal John O'Connor praised Father Egan in his homily at a Mass attended by Father Egan last September. At the time, Father Egan was serving in nursing homes for AIDS patients and continuing his work against addiction.

The cardinal said that when Father Egan was referred to as ''the Junkie Priest,'' it was ''with great affection and great admiration.''

When Father Egan was a young priest, the cardinal recalled, ''He used to roam the streets of Times Square, and that area in general, looking for ways of helping prostitutes, so many of them addicts to one form of drug or another. God knows how many lives and souls Father Egan has saved in that terribly difficult kind of work.''

A fellow Franciscan Friar of the Atonement, the Rev. Walter Gagne , said that in the 1950's, when Father Egan was beginning his work with addicts, he would go to the old Women's House of Detention in Greenwich Village. Many of its inmates were addicts who had worked as prostitutes. ''He would stand on the sidewalk by the prison and start talking to the women up in the prison windows,'' said Father Gagne, and pretty soon: ''They'd be yelling at him, and he'd be yelling back at them. He was ministering to them even before they got out of prison.''

Regardless of how he carried out his ministry, Father Egan thought of the afflicted in spiritual terms. ''If we had the vision of faith,'' he once wrote, ''we would see beneath every behavior -- no matter how repulsive -- beneath every bodily appearance -- no matter how dirty or deformed -- a priceless dignity and value that makes all material facts and scientific technologies fade into insignificance.''

In a 1965 interview at St. Patrick's Villa Retreat House in Nanuet, N.Y., where he was ministering to women who had broken their heroin habit, he said the best way of dealing with drug addicts was through personal counseling.

He also suggested that government agencies fighting drug abuse ''save themselves money and trouble'' by setting up storefront offices in high-addiction neighborhoods.

''Besides the human salvation, think of the prison expenses you'd save,'' he said. ''You could pay these girls $5 a day to just sit there and talk to the junkies who wandered in for a cigarette instead of a fix.''

In 1970, he founded New Hope Manor at Graymoor for teenage girls who were addicted to drugs. Over the years, he also worked as program director at St. Joseph's Rehabilitation Center at Saranac Lake, N.Y., and in programs elsewhere.

He received various honors, including awards for pioneering anti-drug programs in the armed forces.

A native New Yorker, he was the son of a police lieutenant, Thomas J. Egan, and the former Mary Bierne. He went to schools in the Bronx, entered the Friars of the Atonement in 1935, professed his first vows in 1937 and received a bachelor's degree in philosophy and a master's degree in religious education, both from Catholic University in Washington.

He is survived by three brothers, John, Philip and Gerard; and a sister, Veronica Egan.

Photo: The Rev. Daniel Egan in 1963. (Associated Press)

A version of this obituary; biography appeared in print on February 13, 2000, on page 144 of the New York edition.

© Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
"Junkie Priest. Father Daniel Egan S.A." by John D. Harris
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »
Description of a collectible PB volume of said book offered on the MAGGS Rare Books website (London):

Modern Books & MSS: Drugs | Ref: MO40636

Junkie Priest. Father Daniel Egan S.A.
    HARRIS, (John D.).; KROSS (Anna M.) (Foreword).

First paperback edition. 8vo., in the original stiff card wrappers photo-illustrated in a noirish style, all edges red. New York, Pocket Books Inc.. 1965

A very good copy for such a fragile book, with very slight wear.

With a beautifully rendered devil horned syringe set within a black cross on the lower wrapper.

Date:1965[/list]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »
    I am sitting here looking at a book written by a, Dr. Arthur Janov "The New Primal Scream" (Primal Therapy 20 Years On) Enterprise publishing, Inc. ISBN; 0-942103-23-8....Published 1991
    Matt this was the master mind in Dr. Davidson and Joe Ricca's mind when they were trying to emulate his therapy methods, Dr. Janov.
    What Dr. Janov is talking about is regressed emotions, which if you think about, this it would be good therapy for residents coming out of the centers to have, so they can release all that pent up agression they have towards the very places they were sent to help them. LOL
    Why Elan (Davidson and Ricca) ever felt they could handle such therapy themselves never mind handing it down to staff barely out of the treatment center boggled my mind. Then of course they had to add insult to injury and have actual residents conducting the session with other residents. This all in the merits of one student helping another, "BULLSHIT" this was to save money pure and simple....at least with Elan.
    Elan in 1976-77 had just over 400 residents in 6 houses, with approx. 26 staff/Directors paid employees maybe 10 more re-entry residents acting as staff. So a total of 36 staff to cover over 400 residents (rapists,attempted murderers, severly violent, ADDHD, BI-Polar, Autism, Mentally challenged,Emotionally Handi-capped and Drug Addicts or a combo of them all. So we had a 11.5 to 1 ratio, 11.5 students to 1 staff and that was when everybody was there working. Take away re-entry (who went to college or worked at other jobs during the day) and days off for staff well your at 25 to 1 ratio and this was no joke. Unqualified and untrained staff running groups and the center.
    Talk about regression. Sad very sad.
    Anyway not a bad read, I read another book by him back in the late 70's which was interesting.
     :shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock: .........Danny  P.S. The book I read back then was "The Primal Scream".
    "Primal Therapy is not just making people scream. It was the title of the book. It was never "Primal Scream Therapy". Those who read the book knew that the scream is what some people do when they hurt. Others simply sob or cry. It was the hurt we were after, not the mechanical exercises such as pounding on the walls and yelling, "mama". This therapy has changed what was essentially a art form into a science.
    There are many hundreds of professionals practicing something they call Primal Therapy without a days training. Many unsuspecting patients have been seriously damaged thinking that they were getting proper Primal Therapy. I must emphasize that this therapy is dangerous in untrained hands. It is important to verify by contacting us.
    Of the hundreds of clinics in the world using my name and falsely claiming to have been trained by me, I have never seen the therapy practiced correctly. We spend about a third of our time treating patients who come from mock primal therapist."
    This was from the "Epilogue" from page; 371,  3rd paragraph......The New Primal Scream. :shamrock:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
    Oh and by the way I did read this book "The New Primal Scream" also about early 2000, Both the Primal Scream and The New Primal Scream are good reads. He is actually credited with being the father of the Primal Therapy here in America. Check him out very interesting man.
     :shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:18:39 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »
    Trying to find out if there is any link between Dr. Dan Casriel and Dr. Janov but at this time none. Was Casriel just some knock off or what.
     :shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:
    P.S. Ursus need your help.......lol

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
    Hey all ,

I have not read either book.

I am familar with primals from elan.

I feel that serious issues  were created   with the groups when they were not used properly . For example forcing someone to work on something  that they did not want to ,by spanking them until they participated, on something they had no business working on.

I looked at the primals as voodoo.

In the hands of elan  and its henchmen they were dangerous. When you are messing with the psyche of a kid  and you don't know what you are doing , you can create more problems.

It took a strong mind to know that it was all a bunch of rot and still participate .

Sorry I just don't get the warm fuzzies about primals.Thats just me and my two cents worth.

I still want to know what other programs used primals?

Thank you

Matt

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
    Hey Felice,

Encounter groups yep I certianly remember them. Group leader would say this is group and all hell would break loose . People got spanked in those also. They were out of control, group confrontation , oh the healing therapy of those groups.

A person could really be made to feel hated , great for the self esteem.

I reckon it was one of elans way to teach us to  be angry . And that it was good to be angry.  yep dropping the slip.

They were crazy when the group was bigger than 25 people, and  themarathon encounter groups,  "Ode to Joy"

You learned some swear words thats for sure.

I didn't like those groups either. then not much to like about elan.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »
    Quote from: "Eliscu2"
    I do not remember primal groups when I was there.
    I remember Encounter groups for when someone "dropped a slip" on you.
    It was somewhere between a Haircut and a General Meeting.
    It was "Group Confrontation"

They started to end towards the later part of 78 when someone threw themselves out of a window due to a recollection of them witnessing all over again their father killing their mother. Alan Frey, Jeff Gottlieb and Peter McCann all said go the Primal Scream and Marty, Larry Smaller, Rick Rosenhaus and myself said not too because we didn't know what would happen after. Peter went to Joe got permission and well I told you the rest. He broke both his arms, his cheek bone, cuts from glass on his arms and head. It was a fucking mess. On top of all of this this particular resident had a mental condition we hadn't even found out about yet. There was something clearly wrong with him before this episode.
    There was a time early on only Joe and Dr. Davidson was running the primal therapy but you know what happens when you start making money you rationalize and say everybody can do it. Assholes!!!!!!!!!
    This is a big reason why I left because you couldn't have a decent meeting without someone changing the decisions you made to suit there fucking fancy usually at the cost of a residents security. WE WERE ALL A BUNCH OF UNTRAINED, UNQUALIFIED WANNABEES TRYING TO ACT LIKE GURUS, FUCKING KILLING PEOPLE JUST BULLSHIT....... :-[
     :shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock: ......DANNY

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 07:03:12 PM »
    ^Much of the above would be great discussion for the Élan forum. Maybe somebody wants to start a fresh thread in Élan Forum or excavate a decent old one to discuss the different group venues employed there, the experiences and consequences of them.
    “Kul wahid yihtaljeh galub memdeshen” > “Every person you listen to requires a brand new heart.”
    “A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »
    In answer to the question posed by Mr. Hoffman. No, Daytop did not ever have a group they actually called “Primal Scream Group”.
    Yes, much of Casriel’s influence played out in Daytop settings in other ways. Witness the abreactions forced and feigned displayed in more intensive venues within the Daytop program and there you have it. These were elicited by relentless facilitators bent on bending participants to induced transformations. The effects of rousing participants to a state of hyperarousal (states of increased psychological and physiological tension) resulted in what some would call catharsis and some may indeed have experienced as such, but ultimately the means were executed to the end of having the group go through inauthentic recklessly intense experiences together. The release of these tense sessions IMO had more to do with being exhausted for having been brought to an often collective emotional overwhelm and then…relieved that it was over.
    For me it's more difficult to articulate what the non-assailing-rage groups were like to be immersed in at Daytop. I found the following commonalities  summed up in so many words so well in an old thread of discussion from contributors out of various programs describing their respective group experiences:
    Quote from: "psy"
    They create pain to comfort it... to build artificial trust...
    I believe the inherent theory is that they break you down before they build you up.  Of course, the corollary that you are so malformed and hence not worth the time to "fine-tune" or just "repair," is inescapable.
    From remembering myself thread

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »
    ^Much of the above would be great discussion for the Élan forum. Maybe somebody wants to start a fresh thread in Élan Forum or excavate a decent old one to discuss the different group venues employed there, the experiences and consequences of them.
    “Kul wahid yihtaljeh galub memdeshen” > “Every person you listen to requires a brand new heart.”
    Good idea..... :shamrock: