Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Daytop Village

Dr. Dan Casriel “A scream away from happiness”

<< < (2/11) > >>

Ursus:

--- Quote from: "Guest" ---Is there a link to original source? Date of publication?
--- End quote ---

Link to source:
http://www.archive.org/stream/narcotics ... t_djvu.txt

Link to the post in which it appeared (The Narcotics Farm thread):
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28143&p=341167#p341202

As to date of the article Therapy of Narcotic Addicts Sparks Psychiatric Theory (Medical Tribune — World Wide Report) ... Casriel mentions that Daytop had been in existence for about 6 months at the time, and that he had discovered Synanon 3 years prior.

Inculcated:
The following is excerpted from a Time article:
Hazardous EncountersMonday, Apr. 30, 1973

These leaders are ill-equipped to deal with serious emotional problems, take no responsibility for what they do, and are unwilling to let trained investigators take a close look at their results. Their methods, moreover, tend to be either useless absurdities or destructive assaults on the often fragile psyches of encounter enthusiasts—or victims.
Among the offending leaders, Maliver cites Manhattan's Dr. Daniel Casriel, a physician who, says Maliver, admits that he was dismissed from his analytic institute and appears to make "as much as $12,000 each week." "Name any psychiatric symptom," Maliver writes, "and Casriel will tell you how long it will take him to eradicate it." According to Maliver, Casriel promises patients "an accelerated re-education of your 'ABCs' A = affect-feelings-emotions. B = behavior-act-actions. C = cognition-attitudes-thoughts."
His approach, similar to Arthur Janov's "primal scream" therapy, is to teach members of his groups "to grab hold of a feeling—any feeling—and express it in a series of yells, screams and moans which increase in volume to almost unbearable intensity." Overwrought, the patient is then soothed by the rest of his group, as well as by Casriel, if he is present, or by one of the ex-patients who run most of Casriel's groups. No effort is made to understand the emotions that have so painfully —and dangerously—been aroused.
Casriel's technique is one version of what Maliver calls "psychological karate," an approach that precipitously strips away emotional defenses "in the naive view that by recognizing their pathological sides, people will automatically become healthy." In fact, without the careful preparatory steps taken in professional psychotherapy, such recognition can cause serious psychological damage. The effect is similar to that in encounter groups where participants are psychologically assaulted under the guise of "openness" or "honesty."
Summing up his own view of encounter, Maliver cites a position paper issued by the American Group Psychotherapy Association. Its key statement: "A much lower incidence of adverse side effects produced by a drug would cause its immediate withdrawal from the marketplace by federal authorities."
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html

They knew it was wrong even then. Hell, before I was even born. Yet, they’re still f*ing doing it. WRONG!
What’s wrong with them? (… as if any answer would bring satisfaction)  I wonder why I even bother wondering at the whys of it all.

Ursus:

--- Quote ---T groups are now conducted internationally by 600 N.T.L.-trained leaders and are designed to improve corporations, government agencies, churches and other institutions. They differ from encounter groups in that they tend to be less emotional, place more reliance on verbal than on nonverbal communication, and are less concerned with the individuals' growth per se than with his development within his group. T groups improve relationships within organizations by trading what the late Douglas McGregor of M.I.T. called management's "X" approach (do as I say) for the "Y" approach (join with me so that we can work things out together). Obviously, that does not and cannot make equals of the boss and the factory hand; if that is the unrealistic goal, the "Y" approach will fail. But by making the president and the factory hand more aware of each other it can vastly improve the employee's sense of his own value and place...
--- End quote ---
N.T.L. stands for National Training Labs based, at the time, in Washington D.C. and Bethel, Maine. It was and is the U.S. counterpart to Tavistock. You can see how their work fed into and helped propagate the "corporate climate" some of us so like to disparage.

Kurt Lewin was the fulcrum of the group at MIT, and he was also integral to helping start up NTL, though he died before that work came to fruition. Some time after his death, most of the MIT group moved as a unit to the University of Michigan.

One later member of that group at MIT or its remnants was a fellow by the name of Warren Bennis, later to become good friend of Werner Erhard and est-apologist. He is also a Hyde parent.

There was some quite relevant material you chose not to cite; the full article would have been helpful.

Inculcated:
I kept my focus narrowed to the excerpts I felt most pertinent to this thread.
I was then going to excavate the thread discussing corporate retreats and post paste.
Where is that thread btw?

Anonymous:
Im startin to get real curious about this Casriel guy, namely why is there so little to be found on him ( as he is a rather important historical figure) and why are the germans such big fans? Google him or the therapy he invented, New identity Process or more recently bonding psychotherapy, and most everything comes up german. So if anyone speaks geman I need a translator.

Here are some interesting contributions to this thread.

The New Identity Process (NIP) is a method of group psychotherapy that began in the late 1960's, during the height of the humanistic psychotherapy movement. Developed by Dr. Dan Casriel, the NIP originally focused on the use of intense emotional release combined with a process of gentle, physical holding, to bring about a full experience of catharsis.

Therapeutic catharsis involves a safe and contained re-experiencing of regressed emotional material, which can then become cognitively integrated to improve the functioning and health of an individual. The NIP uses an affective, behavioral and cognitive method to achieve this integrative process.

Unique to the NIP is the practice of bonding, a technique combining, emotional opening and physical closeness, within a contained therapeutic space. Bonding may include minimum touch, as in holding a person's hand, to a full body hug during the process of catharsis, to aid integration of material and prevent retraumatization. The NIP is one of the few psychotherapies that addresses the importance of the role of therapeutic touch in psychological health.

Casriel trained therapists in the NIP in the US, Canada and across Europe, before his untimely illness and early death. The therapists he trained created the International Society of the New Identity Process (ISNIP) to continue education, research and training, with chapters in each country.

In the fifteen years since Dr. Casriel's death, the NIP has continued to be used in a wide variety of settings in hospitals, clinics and outpatient offices with adults, adolescents and families. The method has proven to be flexible and effective, undergoing a series of modifications that reflect the psychological advances of the past decade. As more is understood about mind/body science and the role of emotional energy, the NIP is able to validate its reliance on emotional expression as a method for holistic body/mind healing.

NIP groups, workshops and trainings are offered regularly throughout the US and Europe. ISNIP Conferences are held every two years, in the US and Europe. An International training center has been established in France and a rigorous certification program has become standardized for all NIP therapists. The NIP has a code of ethics and a methodology that details the correct use of the process. Only certified NIP therapists are authorized to lead NIP groups.

For more information about the NIP, or to become a member of the American Chapter and receive the quarterly newsletter, please contact Yetta Lautenschlager, President of ASNIP at toll free phone number 1-888-912-1891. You may also contact Lynn Grodzki, LCSW, Tel. (301) 434-0766, or e-mail her at http://primal-page.com/pplist1.htm

more on that
http://primal-page.com/pert.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version