Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Daytop Village

Dr. Dan Casriel “A scream away from happiness”

<< < (3/11) > >>

Inculcated:
Bitte  Gast,
Have you read Crazy Therapies (Singer/Lalich)?

I’m not sure why so many Germans seem to embrace the primal scream n’ snuggle bit, but I noticed that too. Kinky ?
The ISBP “Bonding psychotherapy” conference was held in Bad Grönenbach, last may.

There seems to be no dearth of reference material out there on the interthingy about Casriel’s contributions.
Some articles are vituperative and others praise loud Quacks of approval.

More info. re: Casriel and New Identity Process (basically build your own personality disorder, IMO).
http://www.skepdic.com/therapy.html -From Abracadabra to Zombies (See also Janov for NIP)

Awake:
Has anyone actually read this book? I'm pretty much through it. It is unbelievably telling in terms of the methods he used and that have continued throughout TBS.

I found his philosophy to contain some obvious distortions especially in his perception of subjective vs objective reality. This especially applies in his definition of mental health and illness, in which he estimates 80% of Americans are Character Disordered, Neurotic, or Psychotic. Also the definition of “symptom” is applied extremely broadly, to just about any behavior (Being too introverted, extraverted, homosexual, drug addicted… all symptoms of illness and treated with the same universal group method).

All in all this is without a doubt the most definitive and concise book on how any yokel can build a psychotherapy cult I have read (aside from it being paired with with the hierarchal Synanon model, which he has written about in other books), in fact if you actually bought into it and did what he says you could probably end up running a cult and not even know it.

I found it amazing just how obviously destructive his processes could be and how he allows the group to act as therapist to each other with basically no structure or boundaries except to pressure each other to get into states of anger, rage, infantile helplessness and pain.

In many areas he points out dangers such as issues of transference between members in groups run by a mentally ill group leader and dissociative reactions to confrontation, but they are VERY downplayed and excused with fluffy logic and for the most part the possible dangers are not discussed at all.

Even at the end of the book he answers the question
“7. Can Group become a way of life? Doesn’t it tend to make participants depend on it? A. If someone is not committed to getting well, he will stay sick. My groups are by no means exempt from that problem…. He must stay in the struggle, and if group itself becomes too comfortable, he is not struggling in the outside world.”

“8. What about the possibility of Cultism? A. Cultism is a danger of any group oriented approach to living…. Treatment is for the good of the patient; Cultism and brainwashing is for the good of the leader.”

I could go on and on. Highly recommended reading. So much wrong with it I don’t know where to begin. Maybe the most important book in understanding the history and philosophy of the TTI IMO

SEKTO:
Greetings.  You know, I do own a copy of this book, though have not read it yet.  Perhaps soon I shall do so, and will offer my thoughts when it's done.

Antigen:
:bump:

Inculcated:

--- Quote from: "Awake" ---Has anyone actually read this book? I'm pretty much through it. It is unbelievably telling in terms of the methods he used and that have continued throughout TBS.
I found his philosophy to contain some obvious distortions especially in his perception of subjective vs objective reality. This especially applies in his definition of mental health and illness, in which he estimates 80% of Americans are Character Disordered, Neurotic, or Psychotic. Also the definition of “symptom” is applied extremely broadly, to just about any behavior (Being too introverted, extraverted, homosexual, drug addicted… all symptoms of illness and treated with the same universal group method).
All in all this is without a doubt the most definitive and concise book on how any yokel can build a psychotherapy cult I have read (aside from it being paired with with the hierarchal Synanon model, which he has written about in other books), in fact if you actually bought into it and did what he says you could probably end up running a cult and not even know it.
--- End quote ---
Yes, all who fall within that group were what Casriel called the “untreatables” …ahem while going on to outline his methods for treating them. Casriel’s dissonance in life was only outstripped in staggering nature by David Deitch. Megalomaniacs don’t play well with each other, but they will conjure up bastardized variants of whatever Philosophies play into their own egomaniacal reductive views of how they’re the cure all for the incurables.  Ursus and SEKTO had an interesting exchange on the topic of Diedrich and Hubbard, that says it well enough.

--- Quote from: "Ursus" ---
--- Quote from: "SEKTO" ---Both LRH and CED were apparently obsessed with the idea of abortion. I see many similarities. LRH was a tall-tale teller, plagarist, and pathological liar. So was CED.
--- End quote ---

They all are!! Add to that list: megalomania and narcissism! Lately, I've been reading about Paul Twitchell of Eckankar (who also delved into Scientology at one point). Good Lord, I never knew... Plagiarism, in particular, seems to be de riguer for these harbingers of new "truths," lololol. They all steal from each other.

--- Quote from: "SEKTO" ---Sure, there are many obvious differences too; CED didn't come up with some system paralleling LRH's Reactive/Analytical/Somatic division of the human mind, for staters.
--- End quote ---

Chuckie did not exactly have a "contemplative turn of mind," if ya get my drift!  :D
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: "Awake" ---Highly recommended reading. So much wrong with it I don’t know where to begin. Maybe the most important book in understanding the history and philosophy of the TTI IMO
--- End quote ---
I had (a few months back) skimmed a library copy of A scream away from Happiness, but didn’t get much more than a stomach ache out of it. I’ll order a copy and get back to you when the vomiting subsides.

Incidentally, I also read a copy of Junkie Priest a few years back and was struck by how much of the Monsignor oral lore (as opposed to current PR) attributed to O’Brian by Daytop seemed to be strikingly similar (concocted to co-opt?) to the Junkie Priest (Rev. Daniel Egan) story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version