Author Topic: Current HLA Staff  (Read 25867 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Re: Current HLA Staff
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2009, 05:03:04 PM »
This was actually discussed years ago. He was proven wrong then as well. The Georgia statutes allow for public schools non medical personell to dispense medication provided that the staff member in question is supervised by a licensed nurse within the district. What is not allowed is for unlicensed personell to dispense medications without supervision, and it is definitely not allowed for inmates at HLA to be dispensing meds. Both things that have gone on for years at HLA completly unchecked.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »
Quote from: "RobertBruce"
This was actually discussed years ago. He was proven wrong then as well. The Georgia statutes allow for public schools non medical personell to dispense medication provided that the staff member in question is supervised by a licensed nurse within the district. What is not allowed is for unlicensed personell to dispense medications without supervision, and it is definitely not allowed for inmates at HLA to be dispensing meds. Both things that have gone on for years at HLA completly unchecked.

Do you have a link?

So as long as the person dispensing the medication is under the supervison of a licensed nurse then it is okay.. no training is needed?

So, as the article stated, a GED is okay.  This is what the government standards say also and is what I thought.

The question was does Georgia have any law that trumps the Governement regulations which only requires a GED along with on-the-job-training to dispense drugs.  If they dont then HLA was within their right to have someone on site deliver the medication to the students.

I think these are the questions that are being looked at.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
No HLA was not within their right to have untrained, unsupervised, staff members dispensing meds. Nor were they operating legally by having inmates dispense the meds. I look forward to hearing your attempted justification of that one.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2009, 05:33:45 PM »
No HLA was not within their right to have untrained, unsupervised, staff members dispensing meds. Nor were they operating legally by having inmates dispense the meds. I look forward to hearing your attempted justification of that one.
again, do you have any type of link to support yout postion?

as I was researching for requirements for dispensing medications in hospitals and assisted living facilities I found that the person needed virtually no training and a minimum of a GED to get the job, which was surprising to me.

Link

If you have something different lets take a look at it.  It would be interesting to see how Georgia differs from the Government requirements.  I know that parents dont have to go thru any training to give their kids medicine and they have the authority to transfer this responsibility to others ie. baby sitter, school counselor etc.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »
Again, thewho is a fucking simple-minded idiot. A pharmacy tech filling pill bottles at the drug store is in no way the same as supervising the dispensation of psychotropic meds to kids in a child caring facility (HLA).  

And he knows full well that HLA was already caught for and cited for ignoring the regulations about this.

This is old news and was settled long ago.  Thewho is just trolling.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
Well he may be simple minded but the link he provided supports unlicensed people to dispense medications in hospitals, nursing homes and assisted living facilities.  This goes beyond pharmacies as you can see if you read the link he provided.

Based on the government provisions anyone can dispense medication as long as they are under the supervision of someone who is licensed.  

If you have anything besides personal attacks which supports your position please provide a link.  How come the only one who can provide a link to their argument is considered the one trolling?  Seems you should back up a few steps.  The simple mindedness seems to be more and more a personal issue to do with yourself than an attack on thewho.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »
Furthermore he ignores the fact that pharmacy tech is monitered, trained, and supervised by a board certified and licensed pharmacist. This is what I'm talking about when I say his ignorance helps our cause in the end. Because he's so brainwashed on believing in this industry, and anything it spews out, he affords us the opportunity to bring to light even greater and greater infractions.

The staff dispensing meds and working in the infirmary at HLA had no medical supervison whatsoever. The children working in there represented a flagrant legal violation. Can you justify either of these actions for me?

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2009, 06:56:35 PM »
Based on the government provisions anyone can dispense medication as long as they are under the supervision of someone who is licensed.

Exactly John, once again your own argument proves you wrong. HLA staff members working in the infirmary had no medical supervision. So by your own source they were in violation of the law. Thanks for doing our homework for us.  :cheers:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2009, 07:16:03 PM »
As usual you cannot provide any links.  This was known from the onset but I offered the opportunity RB.  You handled yourself much better this time...

So lets conclude without name calling:

Dispensing medications requires minimal training and only a GED... no license is needed.

If the people dispensing medications were not under some type of supervision from someone who was licensed then they were in violation.  It doesn’t mention that the person has to be on the premises at the time.

I think that was a worthwhile discussion and cleared up a few misconceptions about licensing and dispensing.

Offline Lacey

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »

Exactly John, once again your own argument proves you wrong. HLA staff members working in the infirmary had no medical supervision. So by your own source they were in violation of the law. Thanks for doing our homework for us.  :cheers:

Not even just in the infirmary. Lee Parham used to have a tackle box of the kids meds, and he'd go to each dorm at night to dispense what they called "sleepy meds". It was the medication that was so powerful they had to bring it to the children in the dorm right before bed because it would have significant drowsiness that was a side effect.

Nurses would be LONG gone by this time of day on a week day, and did not work weekends. Medication was dispensed four times a day (morning, lunch, dinner, bedtime) 7 days a week. So there was a significant part of the day where there was no oversight whatsoever, and none on the weekends.

Wanna try again Who?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »
Quote from: "Lacey"

Not even just in the infirmary. Lee Parham used to have a tackle box of the kids meds, and he'd go to each dorm at night to dispense what they called "sleepy meds". It was the medication that was so powerful they had to bring it to the children in the dorm right before bed because it would have significant drowsiness that was a side effect.

Nurses would be LONG gone by this time of day on a week day, and did not work weekends. Medication was dispensed four times a day (morning, lunch, dinner, bedtime) 7 days a week. So there was a significant part of the day where there was no oversight whatsoever, and none on the weekends.

Wanna try again Who?

Thanks Lacey, I think this is why they have the provision that a licensed person does not have to dispense the medications ( in the government procedures) . It is good to know they had a licensed nurse on site during the day, though, at HLA.  Many here would have you believe they didnt have a licensed person on site at all.  It makes perfect sense that they wouldn’t require he/she to work 24/7 and instead have someone else dispense the meds.  I think this is why the provision was allowed by the state and government.

If you think about it it makes logical sense.  giving out the medications is a routine job that requires very little training... parents do it...babysitters do it.. extended families do it.

The critical part is that a licensed person fill the prescription and insure the dosage and medication is correct and oversee the distribution of the substances.

Do you see what I am getting at?

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »
And when they fired the nurse and had no licensed medical person on staff and brought no one in to even supervise?

Were they still  according to your own link (thanks again!) not in violation at that point?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »
So we settled that when the nurse was there she handed off responsibility to someone to handle the times she wasn’t there.  So she was off site.  How long can she be off site for?  1 hour a day? a week? Are they required to even have a nurse?  The government doesn’t define this time period or requirement.  They only stipulate that the person needs to be overseen by a licensed person.  So if she was fired then the dispensing oversight would fall onto the shoulders of the pharmacist like it does at home.  So this would be handled over the phone by the one prescribing the meds or the pharmacists who filled the meds or in person.

If you take a little time to read the link I provided you will see this is covered.  Like I said if at any time you have any outside link to support your personal believes feel free to post them and we can throw them into the conversation.  Each state sometimes has  local ordinances which trump the federal level so it is possible.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2009, 08:43:42 PM »
They only stipulate that the person needs to be overseen by a licensed person.

And there you keep proving yourself wrong John. I have no need to provide a link, you've already done it for me. There was no supervision. A parent at home isnt dispensing meds to more than 100 kids at a time. Calling a pharmacist for a question isn't quite the same thing as having supervision to make sure the job is done correctly. You also still havent addressed the legality of having kids dispense meds.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »
So lets go back to the original statement of this piece of discussion:
The problem with HLA is unlicensed persons dispensing narcotic drugs to minors.

A license is not required…. This we have established via government regulations.
The person dispensing the meds needs to be overseen by someone who is licensed.

so the law stipulates this not I... so there we have it.  

If HLA is allowing someone to dispense meds without the oversight of a licensed professional then they are operating outside the law.