Author Topic: County Fair  (Read 1188 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
County Fair
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:10:15 PM »
What's up on a Saturday night ??

I went out to the county fair with my daughter.  Ate a corndog and watched the people while we sat in the shade, on a bench near farmer Hunt's cows.  We know farmer Hunt.  We drive by his farm all the time.  Actually we drive right thru it.  Anyway we sat on the bench talkin about stuff and laughin.  Wonderin what some people must be thinkin...

Gettin ready to throw some vinyl on.  The kid and I heard "Brandy"(by Lookin Glass) on the radio on the way to the fair, then, when we got home I played it for her again.  That was my Mom's favorite song.

I love the fair.  I love where I live. Western Pennsylvania. We live hard. We have fun.

'Ave a good one :poison:  :peace:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: County Fair
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
So I'm guessin' the weather was ok enough up there yesterday? It was hazy, dark and dreary here. I didn't go outside at all, which is unusual for me, especially these days. I love county fairs, though. I took my girls to one last year. They like the rides and all that. My youngest saw some game that was giving away goldfish in plastic bags full of water as the prize. I told her we should just go buy a fish instead, which we did soon after that. We got a betta fish. I like where I live, but this world is not my home.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
Yeah, it was a beautiful day.  Blue sky with really tall puffy white clouds.  78 degrees.  Perfect.  We didn't go on any rides though.  The last time I tried to ride, I think it was the "Hurricane" or something and I regretted that  :ftard:  ;D if ya follow me. So we just walked around.  Checked out the livestock and the grange exhibits.  Man we had a great time.  I really felt lucky to live here, though this world is not my home either.  :rofl:

You're alright Frod.  :karma:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »
I used to go to the County Fair every year growing up, my dad was big on them. Plus there was a County Fair that was the granddaddy of them all, which represented the best of the best of all the County Fairs in a several state region ... which happened to be close enough to drive to. My mom hated that one, 'cuz she always got lost (no sense of direction). I can remember being 5 years old and leading her back to where the car was.

When I was little, the rides and the cotton candy were the biggest attraction. As I got older, the crafts/handiwork and livestock piqued more of my interest. The memories of my dad good-naturedly suffering the indignities of kids with short attention spans, whilst still trying to pursue his own interests, are some of the more fond memories I have of his gentle character.

It's funny you both mentioned not being of this world, as that is a good part of why I haven't been back to the County Fair in quite a few years. Something about the crush of people -- all having a good time -- brings it home all too clearly, and I have to have a certain level of psychological fortitude to withstand the feeling of isolation it brings on in me...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
Those are some sweet memories Ursus.  I could picture the scene, and sympathize with your dad.

I know what you mean about all the people though.  I don't care for the Big Butler Fair, which is held in the next county over.  My daughter likes that one cause she's 13 and it's much more of a social scene.  My county is only half the size of Butler and less prosperous, so our fair is the more humble, which makes it cozier and friendlier to me.  In addition to the livestock and grange exhibits I also like to check out the live performances and demonstrations and such.  You know I'll pay the extra 3 bucks to get into the grandstand to see the Bluegrass Gospel band and the like.

Also got to see the Brigadoon Highlanders Pipe and Drum Corps., Some ol' ladies tap dancin, and the sleepin dogz, a blues/rock band.

I'm already lookin forward to next year.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »
Ah, the fair.   Smoked one of my first joints there, road the Himalaya (with AC/DC and Cheap Trick blaring at full volume).  Won a  bootleg Black Sabbath mirror throwing darts at paper stars.   Of course, it was confiscated as a "druggie stash" once I was in $tr8........