Author Topic: Family to 8 year old rape victim in Arizona: Get away!  (Read 892 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Family to 8 year old rape victim in Arizona: Get away!
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »
4 Ariz. boys accused of raping 8-year-old girl, USAtoday

The outrage over the allegations intensified when police said the girl's parents criticized her after the attack and blamed her for bringing shame on the family.

"The father told the case worker and an officer in her presence that he didn't want her back. He said 'Take her, I don't want her,' " Hill said.

Hill cited the family's background as the reason the family shunned the girl. In some parts of Africa, women often are blamed for being raped for enticing men or simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Girls who are raped often are shunned by their families.

"It's a shame-based culture, so the crime is not as important as protecting the family name and the name of the community," said Tony Weedor, a Liberian refugee in Littleton, Colo., and co-founder of the CenterPoint International Foundation, which helps Liberians resettle in the United States

It is cruel but we have seen it before here in Denmark. Our authorities are looking for about 100 women and children, who have disappeared. Some end up in local programs in the middle east, some get "repaired" in their private parts, so the truth can be hidden from a husband.

Can it ever be stopped?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Revenge Fantasy

• View Profile
Re: Family to 8 year old rape victim in Arizona: Get away!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »
Many cultures stigmatize victims of sexual assault to varying degrees.

16 pages of Google search results of this story and outrage being repeated throughout the world bodes well for the promise of change.
Meanwhile, my heart breaks for that child. It's as sad as it is disgusting that her family would compound the trauma.It's hard to understand something so mind blowingly cold as being the product of a cultural variant. I'd also be interested to know more about the community that the child offenders come from.

"The search for characteristics of women that contribute to their own victimization is futile . . . It is sometimes forgotten that men’s violence is men’s behavior. As such, it is not surprising that the more fruitful efforts to explain this behavior have focused on male characteristics. What is surprising is the enormous effort to explain male behavior by examining characteristics of women." -Judith Herman,M.D.

Oscar you might find this to be of interest: Covering violence - By William Edward Coté, Roger Simpson
The following was recently recommended to me by a friend (though, I just can’t imagine why)Clearly, I haven’t gotten to it yet.
Breaking the Cycles of Hatred: Memory, Law, and Repair- byMartha Minow Introduced and with commentaries edited by Nancy L. Rosenblum http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/i7411.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Posting from the burka ‘cause it’s easier to hide my gat http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZwC-VH8OnI