Author Topic: Lifeway  (Read 8870 times)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Lifeway
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
Does anyone here have any information regarding how programs like Meehan programs are related programs like Lifeway?

http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcece ... /m/meehan/

All I’ve got is this^ and word of a connection from a friend who was entangled in Lifeway.

Are there freed "Lifers" here?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Lifeway
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »

Offline Melody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
I was in both "LIFE" and "Growing Together"  How can I help you?

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »
Quote from: "Melody"
I was in both "LIFE" and "Growing Together"  How can I help you?
Welcome to the discussion Melody. Would you provide some information here about these programs?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Melody

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
I entered into LIFE in 1985.  I was there for I think two years.  After that I ran away.  I was home for awhile and then was sent back by my parents (my father was abusive and I actually almost welcomed going back in).  I was then transferred to Growing Together within a few months.  I "started over" probably 4 times, mostly due to running away.

My memories are in bits and pieces.  I am 37 now.  For many years I remembered NOTHING and wondered why I had lost that time.  I know I was deprived food and proper nutrition on a regular basis.  I was 5 feet seven inches tall and weighted around eighty five pounds.  I only had one pair of jeans, one pair of underware, one bra and two shirts.  My original clothes were stolden when they did the clothing searches in the back of the room.  Unlike other kids, my parents would never show up...which was a reason for me not to get promoted past third phase for a long time...almost a year...because you had to work on family issues (damn I just remembered that)...and my family never came.  So my clothes were never replaced.  By the time a few years went by they were ratty and I had to go to a regular high school...I think that was sixth phase.  nobody spoke to me.  Same ratty shirt every day.  I didn't go home to my family because the abuse was worse there.  Ms. Pete started my sixth phase over when it was almost finished.  I don't remember doing anything wrong.  I think it was because I listened to a rock song.  I remember a few foster homes.  seems I was fostered out to a new home almost every day.  a few were for a week to a month, but I never was settled anywhere.  One where this girl maryin and her mom wanted to smell my privates.  There were some nice ones though.  When I was finally on fourth phase, some nice couple offered to let me call a family member on a saturday.  I didnt know how to reach anyone in my family and they actually looked up my grandfather.  

In the first place, before going in, I had only smoked pot a few times and drank one beer, which I vomited.  I skipped school for months, but mostly because I lived with my mom...and she left me alone for 5 days at a time.  So...would you go to school at age 12 if nobody was there to make you go?  But I learned all kinds of stuff about drugs there.  When I was 18 I spent a year going off the deep end and experimenting with everything I could get my hands on.  

I must say they did break my spirit.  Over and Over and Over.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
Lifeway (Bob Meehan) is a different program than Life and Growing Together (Str8 spin-offs), fwiw. Although I am sure there are a LOT of similarities and incestuous ties... Wes Fager described tales of abuse at Meehan-styled treatment programs as "sound[ing] strangely familiar to Straight-styled synanons."
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »
From another thread:
Quote from: "Ursus"
Quote from: "Conrad"
I started out in PDAP and DAPA in 1982 in Houston. PDAP was where Carol Burnett sent her daughter. It was very much a cult. Everyone was greeted with, "Love ya, man". I learned about much harder drugs there...
IamArtsy
Of possible interest: http://www.thestraights.com/articles/meehan.htm

Quote from: "Wes Fager"
Bob Meehan, Palmer Drug Rehab and ICECAP

In 1971 Bob Meehan, allegedly a recovering alcoholic and heroin addict, co-founded the Palmer Drug Abuse Program of Houston, Texas to treat teen addicts. PDAP received national attention in 1979 when People's Magazine did a story on Carol Burnett's daughter Carrie Hamilton who was being treated for addiction at Palmer. In 1984 Meehan wrote the book Beyond the Yellow Brick Road: Our Children and Drugs the foreword of which is written by comedian Tim Conway. Today Bob Meehan presides over ICECAP--International Coalition of Enthusiastic Chemical Abuse Programs, an affiliation of treatment programs in Arizona, Georgia, Colorado, North Carolina, and Missouri. Reputedly, Bob Meehan is the self-proclaimed "Father of Drug Intervention." But now there is a web page for former clients from Meehan-styled treatment programs. Startling allegations from the web page sound strangely familiar to Straight-styled synanons. According to the page Meehan also operates a nonprofit, tax-exempt counselor training program under the name Meehan Institute which charges about $4000.00 per person for his 6-8 week course. Please read Emmis on Bob Meehan. Also visit On the Emmis and The Founding of PDAP.
The relevance of the mention of Tim Conway is that he was a personal friend (as well as frequent collaborator) of Carol Burnett.

=-=-=-=

Meehan Programs--Past and Present
http://www.ontheemmis.com/meehan_progra ... nd_present

Programs and Organizations Currently Under Meehan's Control and/or Heavily Influenced by Him

• The Meehan Institute (counselor training program)
  • Meek Publishing
  • ClintStonebraker.com
  • The Insight Program--Atlanta, Augusta, GA
  • The Insight Program--Greensboro, NC
  • The Crossroads Program--St. Louis County, Columbia, Kansas City, MO
  • The Cornerstone Program--Westminster. Centennial, CO
  • Pathway Drug Abuse Program--Tempe, Glendale, AZ
  • Step Two Recover Center--Gilbert, AZ
  • Step One Halfway House--Tempe, AZ

Programs and Organizations Formerly Controlled and/or Heavily Influenced by Bob Meehan    

Disclaimer: The programs and organizations listed here are either no longer in existence or are no longer associated with Meehan. It should not be inferred that these programs and organizations are currently destructive, abusive or cultic.

• Palmer Drug Abuse Program (PDAP)--1970-1980
  • HIH Hospital * Houston Area TX--until 1980
  • Freeway * California--closed in 1986
  • Sober Live-In Center (SLIC Ranch) * California--closed (dates needed)
  • Bob Meehan and Associates (BMA)-- status unknown
  • Families Against Drugs * California--closed (date needed)
  • Good Company * California--closed
  • The Source * California--closed
  • Arizona Drug Abuse Program * Phoenix Area, AZ--closed
  • Sober Live-In Center (SLIC Ranch) * Az--closed
  • Texas Yellow Rose Ranch * Dallas, TX--closed
  • JCA/Lifeway * Dallas, Houston--1986-1992
  • JCA * Chicago Area, IL--closed
  • JCA * St. Louis County, MO--closed
  • Legacy * Chicago Area Illinois--closed
  • Forum Hospital * Ellisville, MO--closed
  • Carrington Academy * Ellisville, MO--closed
  • Breakaway * Victoria, Sault Ste Marie, Elliot Lake, Canada--closed
  • Lifeway * SanAntonio, Austin TX--closed
  • The Retreat * California--closed
  • Physicians Regional Hospital * Wylie, TX--closed
  • Forest Springs Hospital * HoustonArea, TX--1989-1991
  • Orchard Springs Hospital * Houston Area, TX--closed
  • PIA Hospital * Houston, TX--1991
  • Charter Hospital * Glendale, Chandler, AZ--closed
  • Satellite Recovery Centers (SRC) * Tempe, Glendale, AZ--became Pathway
  • Alpha/Peers Coffee Shop * Greeley, Colorado--closed
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline danni1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »
A bunch of Survivors of Bob Meehan have linked up on Jim Jones Facebook page. All you have to do is send him a friend request.  There is also a Facebook  page called Justice for Dorthy, beyond the yellow brick road...and a group on Facebook called Steering Committee.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:39:32 AM »
There is a PDAP alumni group on FB. It sounds like Lifeway had become way more like Straight than PDAP ever was. Then again, Meehan, seems to be losing his mind. The recent tapes of him are nothing like the PDAP I joined in 1982. They did tell me what to do, how to act, and, when to go to college (if I went). They were also homophobic as hell! That left me very screwed up! PDAP, became Freeway in CA, and then Lifeway reoccurred in the 90s in Houston. I toyed with going to a meeting, but after one PDAP meeting in Houston, I wanted nothing else to do with anything related to Meehan. I am sorry you were treated so poorly by Lifeway. PDAP was reigned in after the 60 minutes show about them. It sounds like they went back out of control as without media attention!

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 03:49:50 AM »
On my mind again. It is bugging me. There was a recent reunion, and once again everyone has their heads in the clouds. "It is great!"....Goes on and on. I could go into details but then others would know who I am. You guys know who I am, and that is cool, but I am hiding out from, "Loveya man". You don't know shit about me. I finally watched, "Crossing the GW". It felt familiar. Too familiar. This had to come out of me. How I escaped all the life of PDAP, I will never know. I just did. Was I sober, different question. My old AA sponsor came on FB and started a fight with me recently. He said I was a "hoarder". The new disease! WTF! I blocked the MF! I have so little patience for all this anymore. Little to none. I am who I am. Take it or leave it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 02:46:04 AM »
Your information about life is so precious