Author Topic: DMHA/PFC RESPONSE  (Read 595 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
DMHA/PFC RESPONSE
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »
As you folks know, and for those that don't, I have a pesky habit of contacting state agencies to address concerns regarding abusive programs. I have specialized in programs that began as a direct result of the corporate restructuring of STRAIGHT Inc. To make a long story short, I am posting an email I received from the Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addiction (DMHA) that pertains to and highlights the LACK of accountability that exists on both sides of the Indiana program/agency coin. On one hand, it is the job of the DMHA to ensure that programs it licenses are indeed conforming to the rules, albeit the FEW that exist. It is the job of the program to communicate with DMHA regarding major developments, changes, and any other significant issues that arise during the course of its respective certification period. Just over a year ago, ISAC Corporation filed a complaint with the DMHA that alleged PFC was operating its Porter County Facility without the proper licensing/accreditation. At that time, PFC was advertising 4 licensed facilities on its website, 2 of which were located in Indiana, but only ONE of them was licensed. The DMHA informed ISAC that it would communicate with PFC to file the paperwork required by LAW to obtain certification of its Porter County facility. Well, in simple terms, ISAC was essentially pointing DMHA to PFC failure to follow the rules and then DMHA essentially elbowed PFC "hey, psst, you need to file these forms BEFORE you treat kids in that warehouse up there... ahem...psst psst".

OK, I got off track there a bit, but anyway, here's the latest round... basically the same thing, different day, a year later... According to the law, PFC is required to notify DMHA of its intent to close a licensed program PRIOR to its closing. NOT AFTER. IF DMHA was aware of the closing, it certainly appears to me that this happened without the proper notification. Of course, you can see by the DMHA response that PFC will not suffer any consequences as a result of their lack of duty. Without further adieu, here is the most recent exchange:

"Mr. Earnshaw-
Thank you for the information.  DMHA is aware of the closure.  Once the required notification has been submitted, you will receive a copy as requested.
Thank you

Kendra Ballenger
Assistant Deputy Director
Licensure, Certification and Contract Compliance
FSSA/Division of Mental Health and Addiction
(317) 234-2729

The information in this e-mail and any attachment may contain protected health information as defined by HIPAA, state and federal confidentiality rules (42CFR Part2) and IC 16-39.  It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above.  The federal rules prohibit you from making any further disclosure of this information unless otherwise permitted by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this information in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the original.

Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:25 PM
To: Ballenger, Kendra L
Subject: FOIA regarding Porter County PFC Closure

Dear Kendra,

Under guidelines prescribed by the FOIA and Indiana public information disclosure laws, I respectfully request a copy of the PFC notification to DMHA that it was closing its facility in Porter. It is my understanding that PFC would be required to notify your office prior to closing.

Please send this document to:

William Earnshaw, Sr."

OK, so this is essentially the same thing she said about the MARK WEST complaint disposition, but for some reason, DMHA is being completely quiet about that issue. There are people (possibly including "survivor folks") who know what is happening  :deal:  but they are REFUSING to divulge the information. Something is going on that someone does not want someone to know what is happening. What's the big secret? Even CARF has stated that they will NOT discuss ANY details about any complaints against PFC, no matter who complained. So, there you have it, tons of speculation and weak agencies that are going above and beyond the norms to protect PFC's last stand.  :beat:  :beat:  :beat:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »