Author Topic: SLEEPING PROBLEM  (Read 10141 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: SLEEPING PROBLEM
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »
Tryptophan is the main reason everyone falls asleep after Thanksgiving dinner. It's pretty concentrated in turkey, relative to most other foods.

That's an urban myth. There is not nearly enough Tryptophan in turkey to make anyone drowsy. You would literally get sick before you ate enough to make you sleepy.

The reason people are drowsy after thanksgiving is because they are big fat pigs who stuffed a forklift-load of holiday flavor into their pie-holes, and the body practically has to shut everything else down to digest that glacier of man-fuel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »
thanks for the help guys. i have my rx. I will get some hops flowers. i loike the idea of a nice safe tea and look into your other suggestions.
thanks

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
thanks for the help guys. i have my rx. I will get some hops flowers. i loike the idea of a nice safe tea and look into your other suggestions.
thanks
Jeez what horrible grammer. Sorry. That's my inability to sleep talking!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »
OK. I have sucessfully began drugging myself into oblivion on a  nightly basis. Great! I'm going to try to find some of those hops flowers...too...hard when you are depressed to do this sort of stuff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 01:15:06 AM »
Ativan is an excellent choice!

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 02:25:54 AM »
Quote from: "bobpeterson1973"
Ativan is an excellent choice!

If a sublingual tablet is self administered (under the right side of the tongue) the effects of Ativan are felt more quickly. This benzodiazepine is an anxiolytic with sedative properties and is one of my personal favorites. Possibilities of side effects and dependency are always a wise consideration. In my experience 1mg. of it is the better choice of the pharmaceutical options (for a little down time).

For me the effects are short acting and more subtle than similar options.  This may be beneficial to those whose sleep disruption is due to an inability to enter the sleep state at the desired time. Unfortunately,it will not be of such use for those whose sleep disruption is due to intermittent or early waking.

Understanding the source of your sleep disorder is key to finding the right resolution. An excellent lay person’s reference is Sleep Disorders for Dummies (completely not kidding) by Hirshkowitz and Smith. Short of anything else, the more academic texts on the topic are good for at least a nap.

Ativan (Lorazepam) is not recommended for long term use as a sleep aid.

I should add that I have had a consistent and prescription for this medication for over five years.
It usually does a good job of alleviating symptoms of anxiety. It’s even nice to just have. It is addictive
... and I’m up typing this because I can’t sleep, either.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 07:14:15 AM »
A few months ago I decided to have a sleep study done.  There are a couple of different tests they perform and you need to stay overnight a few times.  I dont have results yet so I dont know how effective it is, but here are a few of the tests they performed:

•    Polysomnogram. This test records several body functions during sleep, including brain activity, eye movement, oxygen and carbon dioxide blood levels, heart rate and rhythm, breathing rate and rhythm, the flow of air through your mouth and nose, snoring, body muscle movements, and chest and belly movement.
•   Multiple sleep latency test (MSLT). This test measures how long it takes you to fall asleep. A video camera is used to record movements during sleep.
•   Multiple wake test (MWT). This test measures whether you can stay awake during a time when you are normally awake.

I have met several people who have gone thru this and it changed their life completely because the sleep study pinpoints the exact reason why you are not getting enough rest and corrects it either thru medication or assisted breathing apparatus.

I cant remember the last time I woke up feeling rested.  I am always tired in the morning because I have been up too late.  This should correct that.  I will let you know if this works or not.  I am in the 2nd phase of the testing this week.

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »
Sleeping problems are a sure sign of a guilty conscience!! It's time you applied your 4th step and got honest with the group, druggie!!!  :flame:  :flame:
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Quote from: "Dr. Miller Newton"
Sleeping problems are a sure sign of a guilty conscience!! It's time you applied your 4th step and got honest with the group, druggie!!!  :flame:  :flame:
Dr. Newton, are you aqquainted with the methods of Dr. Mc Feeely?

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »
Melatonin.  Valerian.  Hops.  All very good.

My personal favorite is Kava Kava, ingested either by chewing whole root chunks, or in the form of a drink made from the ground powder (not the capsules kava pills/caps suck).  Good stuff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
Followup:
Kava-Kava and ST. Johns wort can damage the liver. Milk thistle is good for your liver

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »
Taken in moderation, drinking kava kava is about as damaging to the liver as is alcohol consumption.  Know your sources and only get your kava from reputable suppliers.  And stay away from the kava capsules/pills.  I recommend Nuka Hiva Trading Company.  They've got the good stuff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
A few months ago I decided to have a sleep study done.  There are a couple of different tests they perform and you need to stay overnight a few times.  I dont have results yet so I dont know how effective it is, but here are a few of the tests they performed:

•    Polysomnogram. This test records several body functions during sleep, including brain activity, eye movement, oxygen and carbon dioxide blood levels, heart rate and rhythm, breathing rate and rhythm, the flow of air through your mouth and nose, snoring, body muscle movements, and chest and belly movement.
•   Multiple sleep latency test (MSLT). This test measures how long it takes you to fall asleep. A video camera is used to record movements during sleep.
•   Multiple wake test (MWT). This test measures whether you can stay awake during a time when you are normally awake.

I have met several people who have gone thru this and it changed their life completely because the sleep study pinpoints the exact reason why you are not getting enough rest and corrects it either thru medication or assisted breathing apparatus.

I cant remember the last time I woke up feeling rested.  I am always tired in the morning because I have been up too late.  This should correct that.  I will let you know if this works or not.  I am in the 2nd phase of the testing this week.

You are what is wrong with the world.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 01:37:18 AM »

I have health problems, so I know what my sleep issues come from--well, from my poor health and the whole kidnap, imprison, and torture issue. But thanks. My sleep is a bit better since I've been on the soma. But, I know its gonna eat away at my brain. No pill is without consequences. Hopefully, if I get healthier (which will be soon, if I can force myself to keep going) my sleep will too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 02:05:30 AM »
weed is the best. a dense indica would be a better choice than any sativa. (look for rock hard dense buds, not fluffy stuff).

If you use it wisely, it will help you sleep.
If you depend on it on a nightly basis, you wont be able to fall asleep without it. then again, if you depend on any sleep aid you wont sleep without it.

Alchohol is a bad idea. it actually shortens REM and lightens the sleep. at lower doses, it actually acts as a stimulant. unless you're drinking at least 3-4 beers worth, you're going to be more amped up than sedated. any more than 3-4 every night is a very bad idea - as you said itll be hard on your stomach and may cause other health problems.