Author Topic: CALO CALO CALO  (Read 10430 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
CALO CALO CALO
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:24:18 AM »
me: hey want to do an Interview?
XXXXXXX: yes i can do a interview
ME: ok.. question 1
ME: Can you remember one specific incident where a kid wasn't trying to hurt himself/herself or another?
XXXXXXX: yes
ME: Where did it happen?
XXXXXXX: outside in the parking lot
XXXXXXX: a student was being playful and threw a snowball @ staff
ME: The parking lot is visible from the road?
XXXXXXX: that staff put her in a pcs hold immediately
 XXXXXXX: not really
XXXXXXX: its very hilly down into their facility and somewhat reclusive
ME: ok.. so let me get this straight.
ME: A young lady threw a snow ball at a staff member and was immediately put in a hold?
XXXXXXX: yes that is correct
XXXXXXX: she was being playful and laughing and in no way being harmful to the staff
ME: Did the staff member give her any sort of verbal warning?
XXXXXXX: i believe so , but was also followed with a direct PCS hold
XXXXXXX: she ended up with more injury then he did by her throwing a snowball at him
ME: The girl wasn't given a chance to follow the verbal directive?
XXXXXXX: no
ME: What did the hold consist of?
XXXXXXX: i can tell you of another incident where a female student was threatened to be put in a PCS hold just because she asked for a pair of socks , they made her wear socks to sleep in at night as her THerapist claimed she was self harming
ME: We'll get to that.
ME: first things first.
XXXXXXX: ok
ME: what did the hold consist of?
XXXXXXX: the bent wrist hold and take down
XXXXXXX: obviously her face hit the ground as evidenced by the fact of how bad it cut up her face and nose
ME: ok.. when the staff moved in to do the bent wrist did it look like that hold posted on fornits?
ME: the one taught by the Flordia department of Public Safety?
XXXXXXX: except her face was torn up over it as it was on snow outside and concrete
ME: Did the young girl resist?
XXXXXXX: i don't think she did
XXXXXXX: as far as the technique they use at calo i don't think anyone is well " TRAINED " as they claim
ME: Even if she did resist does PCS call for an immediate take down to the ground?
XXXXXXX: you know the guy ( staff ) was twice her size i can't see any reason for him taking her down to begin with  he was not in a situation where he could have possibly felt threatened by this event
ME: But does PCS call for an immediate take down to the ground if being resisted?
XXXXXXX: yes sure
XXXXXXX: and  more staff would be called to get in on the dog pile ( figure of speech)
ME: ok, does the takedown require that the student be brought down in a manner that doesn't cause harm to the them?
XXXXXXX: thats like asking if talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous , they can say one thing but in my opinion i was not seeing what they said practiced ( if that makes sense )
ME: I understand that, but I'm asking for a reason.
ME: Does PCS require the students be brought down gently?
ME: to avoid injury?
XXXXXXX: you know honestly i don't think anyone cares if the student would get harmed by the take-down so i guess i would say no to that question as after all the judgment is in the hands of the person doing the take down and very little emphasis is put on the gentleness of not harming the student in their training
ME: Ok so in training no emphasis is put on the kids being brought down safely?
ME: Who conducts these trainings?
XXXXXXX: caleb cottle
XXXXXXX: he is also their recreational leader
ME: And he makes no emphasis on bringing them down gently?
XXXXXXX: nope
ME: Does he put any emphasis on avoiding a hold by verbally talking the student down before?
XXXXXXX: he claims the technique is efficient to bring them down apparently and not much thought obviously goes into if a staff decides to do it on pavement , broken glass ect.
ME: no i had a student tell me that is one thing she also hated about calo is they give the kids no chance to be talked down
XXXXXXX:ok.. So tell me about this other restraint involving socks
XXXXXXX: as they do in some of the other programs she HAD attended
XXXXXXX: well this particular student HER therapist had given explicit directive she had to wear socks to sleep in ( as claimed she was self-harming )
ME: ok.
ME: i can see how that might help her not catch a cold....
ME: err.. anyway.
XXXXXXX: she asked for a different PAIR of socks ( as the ones they gave her made her feet sweat at night )
ME: and then what happened?
XXXXXXX: I heard staff tell her if NO she could not have a different pair of socks and if she kept on about it ---- they would put her in a PCS hold
XXXXXXX: no questions asked
ME: ok, well that’s a bit psycho.
ME: I have more questions, but I have to go right now.
ME: so can I post this material up?
XXXXXX: I doubt it will follow me home
ME:: Are you sure?
XXXXXX: hold on let me read it, yeah go ahead and post it.
ME: Thanks, bye.

this interview was modified and redacted to protect the identities of the participants.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: CALO CALO CALO
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
Who is Caleb Cottle and where does he live? Can charges be brought against him or himself sued personally?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Who is Caleb Cottle and where does he live? Can charges be brought against him or himself sued personally?

Caleb Cottle: Recreational Therapy Supervisor/ Residential Coaches Supervisor.  He is the PCS (Positive Control Systems) instructor at CALO.  Staff utilize restraints based from "bent wrist control and variations" that is part of the PCS model.  Caleb Cottle worked at West Ridge Academy an abusive program.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »
hmm good info. Thank you to you and your source. It pains me to see how common and accepted a lack of concern for the welfare of the children is in the troubled teen industry, It's so effin backwards!
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
Quote from: "Ken Huey"
No, we do not use provoking techniques meant to force a teen to attach with us.

*flipkick to top*

Offline TigerEye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
Quote from: "Another Brief Interview regarding CALO"
me: hey want to do an Interview?
XXXXXXX: yes i can do a interview
ME: ok.. question 1
ME: Can you remember one specific incident where a kid wasn't trying to hurt himself/herself or another?
ME: Where did it happen?
XXXXXXX: outside in the parking lot
XXXXXXX: a student was being playful and threw a snowball @ staff
ME: The parking lot is visible from the road?
XXXXXXX: that staff put her in a pcs hold immediately
 XXXXXXX: not really
XXXXXXX: its very hilly down into their facility and somewhat reclusive
ME: ok.. so let me get this straight.
ME: A young lady threw a snow ball at a staff member and was immediately put in a hold?
XXXXXXX: yes that is correct
XXXXXXX: she was being playful and laughing and in no way being harmful to the staff
ME: Did the staff member give her any sort of verbal warning?
XXXXXXX: i believe so , but was also followed with a direct PCS hold
XXXXXXX: she ended up with more injury then he did by her throwing a snowball at him
ME: The girl wasn't given a chance to follow the verbal directive?
ME: What did the hold consist of?
XXXXXXX: i can tell you of another incident where a female student was threatened to be put in a PCS hold just because she asked for a pair of socks , they made her wear socks to sleep in at night as her THerapist claimed she was self harming
ME: We'll get to that.
ME: first things first.
ME: what did the hold consist of?
XXXXXXX: the bent wrist hold and take down
XXXXXXX: obviously her face hit the ground as evidenced by the fact of how bad it cut up her face and nose
ME: ok.. when the staff moved in to do the bent wrist did it look like that hold posted on fornits?
ME: the one taught by the Flordia department of Public Safety?
XXXXXXX: except her face was torn up over it as it was on snow outside and concrete
ME: Did the young girl resist?
XXXXXXX: i don't think she did
XXXXXXX: as far as the technique they use at calo i don't think anyone is well " TRAINED " as they claim
ME: Even if she did resist does PCS call for an immediate take down to the ground?
XXXXXXX: you know the guy ( staff ) was twice her size i can't see any reason for him taking her down to begin with  he was not in a situation where he could have possibly felt threatened by this event
ME: But does PCS call for an immediate take down to the ground if being resisted?
XXXXXXX: yes sure
XXXXXXX: and  more staff would be called to get in on the dog pile ( figure of speech)
ME: ok, does the takedown require that the student be brought down in a manner that doesn't cause harm to the them?
XXXXXXX: thats like asking if talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous , they can say one thing but in my opinion i was not seeing what they said practiced ( if that makes sense )
ME: I understand that, but I'm asking for a reason.
ME: Does PCS require the students be brought down gently?
ME: to avoid injury?
XXXXXXX: you know honestly i don't think anyone cares if the student would get harmed by the take-down so i guess i would say no to that question as after all the judgment is in the hands of the person doing the take down and very little emphasis is put on the gentleness of not harming the student in their training
ME: Ok so in training no emphasis is put on the kids being brought down safely?
ME: Who conducts these trainings?
XXXXXXX: caleb cottle
XXXXXXX: he is also their recreational leader
ME: And he makes no emphasis on bringing them down gently?
XXXXXXX: nope
ME: Does he put any emphasis on avoiding a hold by verbally talking the student down before?
XXXXXXX: he claims the technique is efficient to bring them down apparently and not much thought obviously goes into if a staff decides to do it on pavement , broken glass ect.
ME: no i had a student tell me that is one thing she also hated about calo is they give the kids no chance to be talked down
XXXXXXX:ok.. So tell me about this other restraint involving socks
XXXXXXX: as they do in some of the other programs she HAD attended
XXXXXXX: well this particular student HER therapist had given explicit directive she had to wear socks to sleep in ( as claimed she was self-harming )
ME: i can see how that might help her not catch a cold....
ME: err.. anyway.
XXXXXXX: she asked for a different PAIR of socks ( as the ones they gave her made her feet sweat at night )
ME: and then what happened?
XXXXXXX: I heard staff tell her if NO she could not have a different pair of socks and if she kept on about it ---- they would put her in a PCS hold
XXXXXXX: no questions asked
ME: ok, well that’s a bit psycho.
ME: I have more questions, but I have to go right now.
ME: so can I post this material up?
XXXXXX: I doubt it will follow me home
ME:: Are you sure?
XXXXXX: hold on let me read it, yeah go ahead and post it.
ME: Thanks, bye.

this interview was modified and redacted to protect the identities of the participants.

Hmmm...Very credible. An anonymous poster "interviewing" an anonymous "survivor."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »
Quote from: "TigerEye"
Hmmm...Very credible. An anonymous poster "interviewing" an anonymous "survivor."
As much as you might not agree with what is posted, rarely, if ever, have I seen anybody intentionally lie about something like this.  It *is* possible this particular restraint was not documented and reported.  Why don't you call Ken up and ask him if he can see all parts of the parking lot from his office.  Ask him whether there have been improper restraints and whether anybody has ever been disciplined for it.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline TigerEye

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
Well, I could ask him whether he knows for 100% certain that nobody has ever buggered one of the dogs in the parking lot, and he would probably say no, but the evidence is against it.
Sorry, I've never seen evidence of abuse, and certainly not "bloodied faces." I've had the opportunity to chat informally with both boys and girls there, privately, and none seemed oppressed; to the contrary, the ones who had been there a while felt like their family relations were much improved as a result of being there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »
Quote from: "bobpeterson1973"
Quote from: "Guest"
Caleb Cottle: Recreational Therapy Supervisor/ Residential Coaches Supervisor.  He is the PCS (Positive Control Systems) instructor at CALO.  Staff utilize restraints based from "bent wrist control and variations" that is part of the PCS model.  Caleb Cottle worked at West Ridge Academy an abusive program.
These people may be in Missouri for now, but their heart and soul is based in Utah. That's why they use the PCS method of restraint. A lot of Utah programs use this method.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:01:09 AM »
[email protected]  > Ken Huey's e-mail address

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 01:21:35 AM »
Because there's nothing that says "safe and gentle environment" like being slammed face-first into concrete for throwing a snowball.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
Because nothing says "help" and "therapy" like slamming a kid into the pavement face-first for throwing a snowball!
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline treatmentkid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »
As a former CALO student, I have a story to add -
One girl had her wrists broken many times by a specific staff, and each time it happened, they would make it a "therapeutic goal" to understand that the staff was in the right, and she was in the wrong.