Author Topic: CAFETY.org now live!  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: CAFETY.org now live!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
Quote from: "katfish"
Quote from: "Guest"
Cafety always seemed more on the ball than this site as far as getting regulation going in the right direction.
Horseshit.... Screw you for claiming something like that on here.  :on phone:

Fornits rules!!!   :fuckoff:

I don't see CAFETY making any claims about Ken Huey's good intentions, or doing his bidding regarding moderation of their forums, or going to speak at Natsap, no less. Where's the vomit emoticon?

Ah, well, nothing can be perfect, I supose.

Curious, why do you think speaking at NATSAP is a bad idea?

I know why I do and have more of less noted it, but wondering what is of concern to others.

Beyond that, I feel compelled to say that there's a way to express disagreement w/o being disrespectful/sarcastic.  I get that this is not the standard set by most on fornit, we all know this... which it the primary reason I stay away from the toxicity... but doesn't that it get old?

I think any noted “survivor's” presence will be exploited by NATAP to gain credibility. I think any notable survivor publicly treating them like a group of reasonable people interested in helping people—which is what will happen during this meeting—will have the unfortunate effect of bestowing on them credibility.

I also think NATSAP is a collection of predators working together to promote the desires of predators. Meeting with NATAP would be like meeting with the leaders of various heads of child-slaving companies. Nothing good can possibly come of it. The predators are not suddenly going to see "the light."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »
Cafety always seemed more on the ball than this site as far as getting regulation going in the right direction.

I don't see CAFETY making any claims about Ken Huey's good intentions, or doing his bidding regarding moderation of their forums, or going to speak at Natsap, no less. Where's the vomit emoticon?

I know why I do and have more of less noted it, but wondering what is of concern to others.

Beyond that, I feel compelled to say that there's a way to express disagreement w/o being disrespectful/sarcastic.  I get that this is not the standard set by most on fornit, we all know this... which it the primary reason I stay away from the toxicity... but doesn't that it get old?

I think any noted “survivor's” presence will be exploited by NATAP to gain credibility. I think any notable survivor publicly treating them like a group of reasonable people interested in helping people—which is what will happen during this meeting—will have the unfortunate effect of bestowing on them credibility.

I also think NATSAP is a collection of predators working together to promote the desires of predators. Meeting with NATAP would be like meeting with the leaders of various heads of child-slaving companies. Nothing good can possibly come of it. The predators are not suddenly going to see "the light."

Yea... word.   Hm.   Though I think Mike and Ginger are simply testing out the waters, with some advocacy idea in tow, but more or less are looking to share their experiences ( I think?).  Looking to reach a few moral minds, not really change NATSAP.

I think what you say is mostly true (re: child predators), and that such folks wouldn't make up so much of their membership AND leadership if they were in the place to make serious changes.  If CAFETY's were to present at NATSAP (which I'm pretty sure will happen one day), my suggestions to my colleagues would be that a discussion be had around such concerns occur BEFORE presenting, for the reasons you mention above.  This has been my concern re: initiating any dialogue w/ NATSAP, much less presenting at a conference. W/o thorough research that includes understanding of the politics of other orgs that resemble NATSAP and some level of sophistication and savvy in that respect, advocacy efforts and suggested change will lose credibility.  
 It is not in CAFETY's interest to engage w/o being prepared to move beyond our typical advocacy positions to discuss NATSAP's strategic position and inferiority, having some data to present with well thought our recommendations.  

The one point that I may disagree with you on, though not quite yet (NATSAP may prove me wrong) is NATSAP may be an org whose practices can be addressed with some degree of receptivity.  And that some degree I suspect will be very little, having working w/ CAFETY and observed other trade orgs that are FAR more child friendly that NATSAP and yet seeing significantly disappointing lack of follow through.  I think strategically they have to be ready (I don't think they are) and so do advocates (I haven't heard anything that would convince me this is the case either, though we're prepared to address other groups - NATSAP is like the Cartman, from South Park, of rep trade orgs).  I think other orgs have to board the change train as well... Basically, I think the landscape of youth residential programs trade orgs have to be rapidly headed towards the point of convergence - as the BBI is working towards, but seems to still require the growth of an organized movement to push it along.  In conjunction with this, work must be done around ensuring EVERY community has care services available... b/c w/o that, programs are catering to the demands of stressed out parents and certainly NATSAP will shrug and say: 'supply, demand'.  While this may be temporarily 'ok' if we somehow get them to work towards ameliorating abuse, we still run into the problems that come from inappropriate, highly restrictive institutionalization and the dignity youth lose in that process - something they will never cease to participate in w/o legislative change and/or a change in demand.  

Working to integrate consumers into their agenda is a start... but where NATSAP is I do suspect they're just throwing the dog (survivors, in this case Ginger and Mike) a bone ... my fear is that it is a far more sinister that than... (the noted hope he won't even notice that there's no meat on it...)

CAFETY will hold off a year, at least.  Maybe more.  We'll be in the position to better assess where they're at and what makes sense after the IECA conference.  We'll also have data, the support of additional members and real sustainability funding when that time comes.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline wdtony

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfctruth.com
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 03:43:42 AM »
Well, first of all, great job on the website. When I have more time, I will definitely keep up with how things are going there and check into it more in depth.

Kat, You said:

"CAFETY will hold off a year, at least. Maybe more. We'll be in the position to better assess where they're at and what makes sense after the IECA conference. We'll also have data, the support of additional members and real sustainability funding when that time comes."

I appreciate your viewing the larger picture and the scope of this problem. Good strategy.

Also, it is easy to get caught up in the "Fornits shuffle", arguing in circles with anonymous posters. It can get pretty silly. I am learning to stay away from anything that creates dissent and distracts from strategies that may be effective. I am glad someone (Ursus) stated it in a similar fashion. The bear has a way with words.

I agree, Fornits is a fantastic forum. It was the first line of communication for me when I went searching for KHK info and it connected me to people who were in the know and helped me tremendously. Without those connections I would have not been able to know where to start in speaking out. Fornits offers news, a place for new survivors and a place to keep up when we have time. It's not perfect but I am starting to think that I wouldn't change it for fear that some of the good would leave. My opinions change based upon considering ideas and how angry I get at trolls posting garbage, but at this point I wouldn't change things if it were up to me.

The troubled teen Industry is complicated and I am happy to see so many different grassroots approaches to putting an end to the horrible abuses within these programs. I agree, it seems to be complimentary. So maybe there is real solidarity after all even though it may not appear that way sometimes. Why do I feel as if I am in barbaric Europe in 600 AD?

I think I am lucky to have stepped into the fight when I did. It seems that there is a lot of activity that wasn't present before I started to get involved.
Pathway Family Center Truth = http://www.pfctruth.com