Author Topic: Blue Hills Academy - Different or the Same?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Blue Hills Academy - Different or the Same?
« on: August 27, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
When will results begin to show up, or when will the student start to change?

Change varies with each individual. Typically the first 4 to 8 weeks are a settling in period. The child is learning to adjust to a new environment, under new rules, and new expectations. There are several stages the child will go through as he makes changes in his life. It is important to recognize these stages. Even students who initially are excited to be in a program struggle from time to time when they are confronted with change.

The first stage is RESISTANCE/DENIAL. Many students are initially angry or upset because of being enrolled in a program. Denial is usually classified with comments like:

"I don't need to be here."
"If you let me come home I will change."
"I understand what you want from me now and I am different."
"I haven't done anything wrong."
"My friends are worse than I am."
"If you leave me here..." " I will kill myself," "I will hate you forever," "I won't ever speak to you again,"
"Don't waste your money because I will never change."
A student will also make comments regarding the facility during this stage, such as:

"This place is awful. If you only knew what went on here."
"The food is gross", or "They don't feed me."
"There are bugs, rodents, and snakes everywhere here."
"They are so mean to me here."
"You have got to get me out of here before I go crazy."
"All the kids here are a lot worse than I am," or "I am not like the other kids here..." "The other kids here are all gay."
The second stage is ACCEPTANCE. Acceptance is the stage where they are beginning to see the need for a change in their life. Although they would still rather be at home they are starting to make changes. Comments you will receive during this stage are:

"This place is getting better."
"Some of the staff like me."
"The boys are really nice and I have some new friends."
"I have learned everything I need to and I am ready to come home."
The third stage is CHANGING. Changing is the stage where the student is learning and making choices that are promoting healthy experiences. The student is beginning to make choices because he wants his life to be better.

"I did the most exciting thing this week."
"My grades are getting better."
"I learned so much about myself because..."
"I can hardly wait to show you some of the places we have been around here."
"The boys here are the best friends I have ever had. They are really honest."
The final stage is PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE. This stage happens when the student is really committed to himself and the future. He is focused on making proactive decisions and choices. The choices he makes are because he wants to have a wonderful future. Typical comments at this stage are:

"I love who I am."
"I have chosen the college/university I want to attend after high school and this is what I need to do to get accepted there...."
"This is my plan for the future."
"I need you to set structure for me when I come home."
"I have really benefited from my experience at Blue Hills. This is what the future holds for me..."
"Thank you for giving me the chance to change my life."

SOUND FAMILIAR?  JUST FOUND THIS AND IT IS NOT A WWASPS SCHOOL, BUT THE STORIES ARE THE SAME. GO FIGURE.

http://www.teenacademy.org/pages/QandA. ... chor382569
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 07:43:00 PM »
The first "difference" I know is that in the State of Arizona these kids can't be held without their agreement to attend.  So this "list" is not really valid.  If they don't want to be there, they can walk (or run) at any time.  

Second, their contract therapist is there once a week, not like Cross creek where the therapists are there at least 40 hours a week, in group each day and available to speak to the parents any time.

Third. Their tuition is the same as Cross Creek. I'll take a deeper look, but if these boys have to be willing to stay, there's probably only a handful of students so not much in the way of positive peer support.

Fourth.  I don't see an after care component with either workshops or coaching.

What else??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »
The "stories are the same from most of the teens at any behavior mod program.  WWASPS is just a bigger target.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 09:36:00 PM »
Look like a poor spin off.  No support groups, no internet forum or monthly magazine that I can see.  No parent help with tuition that is mentioned.  What troubled out of control teen would agree to go unless they are court ordered?