Author Topic: America’s High: The case for and against pot  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
America’s High: The case for and against pot
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:02:06 AM »
Taken from CNN

Starting on Monday we’ll be taking a close look at marijuana and its use in the United States. Is there a case for legalization? We traveled around the country, met with people on all sides of the issue, walked through medical marijuana dispensaries and got a clear idea of the different kinds of marijuana out there.

And what about using marijuana for medical purposes? Hear Melissa Etheridge’s take on the issue. She says it helped her through her battle with cancer. But there’s the other side too. We will speak to a 34-year-old teacher who is bi-polar who used marijuana for treatment but says it ruined her life. She tells Randi Kaye why she thinks marijuana is addictive and how she says the drug nearly killed her.

Tune in for the AC360° special report, ‘America’s High: The case for and against pot,’ starting Monday at 10 p.m. ET. What do you think about the issue? Post your questions and we’ll try to answer them this week.

Any self respecting survivor of Straight Inc. or any other facility would be doing a disservice if they did not watch this report and comment ASAP to Anderson Cooper 360 here

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/13/a ... ainst-pot/

We are the other side to the story!

Much Healing
woof
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: America’s High: The case for and against pot
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:09:29 AM »
This is actually something I was bitching about the other day, but not really sure if I feel like sharing it on AC.

For the record, I am for the legalization of EVERYTHING. Keep your laws away from my bod.

HOWEVER,

I am SICK AND TIRED of trying to measure how much of a hit I need of whichever hybrid sounds like it might work so that I can actually get some goddamn sleep and break out of this insomnia bullshit, only to accidentally get TOO stoned, which makes my head totally chatty so that I cannot sleep at all. If this is supposed to be medicine, it sure as fuck would be nice to have SOME fucking standard.

Do I bring a prescription for antidepressants to walgreens and ask them "whatever good stuff you have today?" no. You get a scrip for x mg of x medication however many times a day. There is a specific prescription, and instructions on dosage.

My friend went to green relief in san francisco and the doc suggested a hybrid for his bipolar. That's it? A hybrid. Hey fucknut, do you have any idea how many fucking hybrids are out there? Each one consisting of a different indica/sativa ratio, THC/canniboid ratio, and, as a result, each one having a severely different effect on MOOD??? Can I shoot you now, please?

If we are to going to have medicinal marijuana, and SERIOUSLY consider it a method of treatment, there has to be some level of accountability, here. When you go into the doctor for any other ailment. He/she will talk to you about options of a particular type of med, and recommend a dosage to start out on. Especially because the wrong meds can cause serious problems.

The thing is, this shouldnt be TOO hard to do. The brilliant thing about weed is that AAA Perps in California will be pretty much the same botanical makeup as a AAA Perps in amsterdam. (maybe some differences in quality.) Growers are anal as all hell about cultivation, whether it be THC content, hybrid specifics, indoor/outdoor, etc.

The other issue is dosage. I know, its fun to get stoned, and smoking is the best way to get there. (for me, anyway.) However, it normally SUCKS when it comes to using it as medication. I saw a great BBC docu, one part of which interviewed a chemo patient who takes weed for her nausea. She opened up a can of chocolates, and gave a specific dosage, i.e. "I take three chocolates three times a day of x strain of weed. Ive found that this is pretty much the only way it works consistently."

My god, if I could have something like that for my insomnia, (i.e. more specific than just taking a baked good at face value) I would be loving life. Especially since I won't be BURNING HOLES IN MY LUNGS any more. (I know that thc pills have existed for years, but I also know that most patients who have used them say that they dont help much.)

In order for medical marijuana to REALLY be helpful in consistently (and effectively) treating symptoms, there needs to be some fucking standard regarding prescription, dosages and method of dispensing, and the only way this can REALLY  happen, IMO, is if the drug becomes legal for ALL uses.

As of now, I think that the issue of recreational vs. medicinal is muddy, and that can be dangerous when people need to use a drug as treatment. (especially if its for things such as mood disorders). Medicinal marijuana cannot be used as a "stepping stone" to getting it legalized entirely. Using something as a medicine requires something a lot more accurate than getting a bag of whatever looks the most purple and dense. It needs to be legal entirely first.

Probably unrealistic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
Comments have been closed for this article

oh well, better luck next time :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:  :rasta:

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:29:20 AM »
@ Try another Castle
Ya bring up some very valid points that spur the discussion further. Ideas that I myself had not thought of.

@ Tried to post
Try again, seems each segment has comments page....TIP: Dont use hyperlinlks

Here are the other guidlines:
1. Use your real name (just your first name is fine). Some comments have been posted with an alias, but it’s not our favorite thing to do. If I’m on the fence about posting a comment and notice an alias I frequently just click delete.

2. Stay on topic. A great comment on the campaign submitted to a blog about grey wolves will not get approved. Post your comment to the right blog entry!

3. Streamline! Comments that fill several screens could be amazing, but when we’re moderating comments it is really tempting to click delete instead of reading and approving “War and Peace: The 2008 Presidential Campaign.”

4. No links. Those are probably great articles and video, but we don’t have time to vet them, so links are an automatic delete.

5. We like criticism. We’re big fans of the 1st Amendment – we use the free press every day. We aren’t afraid of criticism in your comments, but let’s keep it intelligent and thoughtful, perhaps even constructive.

6. Language. Comments should be G-rated; PG at worst.  (And that includes these: @#$%%$#&).

7. Don’t write in ALL CAPS. In case you didn’t hear me; DON’T YELL AT ME AND I WON’T YELL AT YOU.

If we don’t post your comment, we aren’t taking out our aggressions on you. It’s a typical newsroom here; when we get angry we take it out on each other, our computer screens, and occasionally by slamming our fists on our desks.

Happy commenting and good luck!

Tonight there was a debate with a pro-MJ and anti-MJ...guess who anti-MJ was ? David Evans Special Advisor to Drug Free America Foundation. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

David Evans boasted that he was a Criminal Defence attorny for 34 years...why would DFAF.org use a Criminal Defence attorny to argume MJ legisisation?   Why would DFAF.org even need a Criminal Defence Attorney  with 34 years experiance? Absolutely fucking insaine......is David Evans's experiancef with Mel and Betty Sembler?

I posted first night  (without reading instructions) and hyperlinked DFAF.org and mentioned Mel and Betty Sembler along with Straight...It has been waiting approval....My guess.....I shgouldnt have used hyperlinks.

So, does any one know the relationship between David Evans and Mel/Betty?

Anderson Coopers mantra is "keeping them honest".....lets keep him at his word!

Much Healing
woof

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:50:33 PM »
Woof, Evans wrote that document with the DFAF and submitted it to the Supreme Court back in 02 or so... He's thick as thieves with them.

http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/Supreme_C ... i.dfaf.pdf

More can be read at WES's site, www.thestraights.com

I hope this helps.

ES'r

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 02:06:05 PM »
It may be a simplistic view, but I just don't think it is the federal govt respobsibility or effective use of taxpayers money to stop people from smoking, growing mj.  We have way too many problems in this country to deal with.  Geez....I understand it is a "for profit" industry for the likes DFAF, but I woulda  thunk by this point possession would at least be depenalized/decriminized nation wide.

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
I like to go out and have a good time as much as anybody.  Here in town there is a new sports bar opened up that is run by Lesbians.  So far they are kicking ass and bringing in customers from hayseed towns upwards of 22 miles away because they are the only place in a 30 mile radius that stays open til 2 a.m.  One of the big selling points for customers is that it is a smoking bar.  By smoking, I mean cigarettes, which leads to my stance on Marijuana.  If we got half retarted hillbillies willing to shell out almost 6 dollars for a pack of Marlboros, and the gov't is collecting half of that pack in taxes, just thing about how much revenue could be made with a LEGAL, factory processed pack of REEFERBOROS.........   I honestly think that if marijuana were legalized, regulated and taxed, the income generated would obliterate our deficit in as little as 3 years.  I know this may sound crazy, but I assure you I am neither drunk or high right now.  I think this is a good idea, and correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that legislation of this nature was run up the flagpole during the Clinton Administration, but got buried by other issues.

I still have'nt smoked in quite some time, but I am getting closer and closer to the day due to new friends that I have made.  Most of them are my age and hold my views on reefer and smoke it with reverence and not a crutch while leaving old reliable Devil Alcohol to deal with the day to day grind.  For me, daily use of reefer is simply too expensive and really irresponsible unless you are in a position of unlimited disposable income and little to no responsibilities, like you are a rock star, own your own business, or have a gold plated ass and killer breast implants.   WHAT DO YOU THINK?     85 Day Jerk, Hillbilly Hills, Tennessee
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:12:13 AM »
@ 85Day Jerk---What do I think? In general terms I think it was like sweeps week, pretty buds, lotsa THC lolipops and THC enhanced drinks, not to mention brownies now legal in Cal. But over all, I think Anderson Cooper and his reporter gave a week represtentation on the topic. CNN has done far better coverage on the subject and Anderson Cooper dropped the ball. 10 minute segments repeated once an hour was just simply weak. I am disapointed in the series presented by Anderson Cooper. My apologies for being overly excited with the promise of a complete story and then the series failed to bring up the valid arguments......Sooooooooo disapointed.

woof

Offline Sam Kinison

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
The marijuana laws are so ridiculous that words can't describe.As a non-user,I can't wait for its decriminalization once and for all.Everybody knows about the enemies that Jesus of Nazareth had but nobody talks about the self-serving interests against Mary Jane.Who does she threaten.Let's count the foes
1)Pharmaceutical companies...who needs to buy sleep remedies if it can be grown in the backyard with less toxic side effects.
2)Distilleries....once again the competition with the backyard garden could shut them down.
3)Textile manufacturers...mother nature and her beloved hemp makes a fabric stronger than almost anything manmade(exception being Kevlar)
4)Paper Companies...They own the forests which makes Paper processing a fairly exclusive industry.....A acre of hemp makes as much paper fiber as a forest full of trees
5)Exploiters of Prison Labor.......Numerous citizens find themselves to be convicts on charges known as Violation of Probation..the probation being that of Marijuana related charges.If it wasn't for these absurd statutes,most of these citizens would not have to experience the hospitality of the criminal justice system.

Anybody who else who wants to add to this list feel free to.