Author Topic: AARC Gala  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Gala
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:47:27 PM »
So far, as many as 176 people may show up to protest AARC's Gala on June 4th.

http://www.aarc.ab.ca/fundraising/_Gala ... ip2009.pdf

AARC Makes a Difference  

Teen addiction is a societal issue that affects everyone.  Without AARC these          
adolescents may become financial, legal or moral liabilities to our communities and,
over time, huge financial burdens to our government and non-profit social systems.

The Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre (AARC) is a unique  :roflmao:  long-term treatment centre
for teens addicted to drugs and alcohol.  Since we began operations in 1991, almost
400 young people have graduated and our clinical staff have worked with over 1,000
family members in treatment of this highly destructive but treatable condition. The
lives of our parents have been devastated while searching many avenues to help their
child.  Knowing that 85%  :roflmao: of our graduates are today sober, in school or working and
reunited with their families, gives our families hope.  

We can’t do it without your support.  :twofinger:

Protest:
Thursday, June 4, 2009
4:00pm - 6:00pm
Hyatt Regency
700 Centre Street SE
Calgary, AB
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: AARC Gala
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
Sounds like a good time...  Have the media been invited?  Oh yes, they have tickets...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
I wonder if they'll have graduates speak again, or if Josh Penner ixnayed that idea because he thinks they all sound "brainwashed and stupid."
Can't say I blame you Josh, judging by the posts I've seen from AARC supporters:

"Time after Time. My Loyalty is to Dr Vause and It always will be, he has always stood right beside me and I will do the same for him. I trust him with my life and anyone close to me, I trust every word he says to me without a doubt my loyalty is to him 100 %"

"What AARC gave to me was the biggest gift of my life. I was a straight Ghetto Punk lookiing at life in jail, AARC took me through the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anoynomous, which is nothing more then a design for life. My opinion is that they are life skills so simple that they can better anyones life who applies them, Addict or Not. My life is good today because I use the tools given to me by AARC in my daily life and not to mention some help from my higher power... I felt like putting a big piece of shit in that chicks mouth, what a liar."     - What fantastic life skills you have!  AARC clearly turned you into a better person.

Offline anonAARCgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »
It is fantastic they are still using the 85% statistic!

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:33:45 PM »
Will Ron Stevens be there?  Ronnie has been appointed a Federal Judge this week, leaving his seat in the Legislature.  Will Ken King, publisher of the Herald, heave his corpulent frame into the Hyatt, signalling continued Calgary media support for our local version of the Moonies?
Will the police, aware of the protest beforehand, allow for priorty-boarding on the Paddy Wagons?
In spite of the Fifth Estate report, not a single Calgary reporter in print or television attempted to interview anyone regarding the AARC situation.  No questions about how an unlicensed facility keeps kids for months.  No question about a facility that diagnoses a severe mood disorder using amateur counselors and a check-list from Kids.  No questions about how this facility spends $5 000 000 a year to keep forty or so kids in an industrial park six days a week with no residential facilities.  No questions as to how a former employee of a criminal enterprise was enlisted to run a mental health facility in Calgary without any professional qualifications.  No questions about why the Provincial government funds a faith-based "treatment" facility that has no license.  No questions about how this program continues to use a dangerous unregulated foster-home system that was deemed unacceptable almost forty years ago in Florida.  No questions about why our elected officials were selling the program to the people of Alberta in the legislature using the improbable and unproven "success" rate claimed by AARC. Great work journalists of Calgary.  Huzzah!
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »
Good luck folks... bring a camera
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
Quote from: "hanzomon4"
Good luck folks... bring a camera
Welcome back.  Haven't seen you in a while.  Hang around some.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »
Stumbled across this today.  It is extremely well done for youtube and I like the effects they used.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si4bjdGpbSI

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:39:08 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Stumbled across this today.  It is extremely well done for youtube and I like the effects they used.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si4bjdGpbSI

Glad to be back mr. psy... umm where is the? Ah here it is:  ^ ::puke::
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:37:10 PM »
I really liked the special effects in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Bt7R91 ... re=related

You guys are too much... really.  :roflmao:

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 11:17:59 PM »
Here's my favorite.  The Wiz, lying through his teeth as per usual, avoids directly answering any specific criticisms of AARC.  
1. The clients are not assessed by qualified personnel to diagnose the condition AARC claims to treat.  
2. AARC appears to diagnose clients as suffering from addiction when they are not.
3. The Wiz and his staff are not qualified to perform the interventions used at AARC.
4. A variety of disorders present in AARC clients go untreated as the staff is incapable of addressing the needs of the clients.
5. The methods used in AARC are harmful.
6. There is no evidence as to the number of clients in AARC who remain abstinent after graduating AARC.
7. The program takes in a vast amount of money that does not correlate with the services provided by AARC.
8. The host home system used in AARC is dangerous, and puts clients at risk of an array of abuses.
Too tough indeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6jKIf5 ... re=related
Doctor and preacher?  Well, he's certainly not a doctor.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

Canadian West."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 06:52:59 AM »
Quote from: "ajax13"
Here's my favorite.  The Wiz, lying through his teeth as per usual, avoids directly answering any specific criticisms of AARC.  
1. The clients are not assessed by qualified personnel to diagnose the condition AARC claims to treat.  
2. AARC appears to diagnose clients as suffering from addiction when they are not.
3. The Wiz and his staff are not qualified to perform the interventions used at AARC.
4. A variety of disorders present in AARC clients go untreated as the staff is incapable of addressing the needs of the clients.
5. The methods used in AARC are harmful.
6. There is no evidence as to the number of clients in AARC who remain abstinent after graduating AARC.
7. The program takes in a vast amount of money that does not correlate with the services provided by AARC.
8. The host home system used in AARC is dangerous, and puts clients at risk of an array of abuses.
Too tough indeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6jKIf5 ... re=related
Doctor and preacher?  Well, he's certainly not a doctor.

and yet 85% of AARC graduates are still clean after 4 years.  Go figure, not too bad for a gym teacher ay? lol

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »
9. The methods used at AARC do not conform to accepted standards of practise used by mental health professionals to treat mood disorders, and are thus experimental.
10. Clients at AARC are not informed that they are experimental subjects, and do not provide consent to be used as such.
11. The ongoing behaviour modification experiment at AARC is not conducted by practioners belonging to a professional body, thus the staff are not subject to any standard for professional ethics.

Canadian West."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »
Quote from: "ajax13"
9. The methods used at AARC do not conform to accepted standards of practise used by mental health professionals to treat mood disorders, and are thus experimental.
10. Clients at AARC are not informed that they are experimental subjects, and do not provide consent to be used as such.
11. The ongoing behaviour modification experiment at AARC is not conducted by practioners belonging to a professional body, thus the staff are not subject to any standard for professional ethics.

Relax, someone is yanking your chain and feeding you a bunch of bull.  The program is harmless, your local daycare uses behavior techniques which are much worse.
Again take a look at their success rate and their bottom line costs are much lower than any inpatient setting for the same time period of time.  They have done very well with the kids who finish up at AARC.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »
I was in AARC with a couple of people with genuine psychiatric disorders, and they are crazy as ever today. I'm sorry, but humiliation and thought reform techniques just aren't a cure for schizophrenia. It makes me really sad when I think of how many clients in AARC had underlying issues that were ignored while AARC staff berated them for being "loser druggies." For a while after AARC they played along - probably even convinced themselves that AARC had cured them and saved their lives. But when they fell, they fell hard - and who wouldn't after having it drilled it into your brain that you'll die and will never feel happiness again unless you devote your life to a cult and do everything they've taught you. Putting a kid in AARC for a year when they have a serious mental health disorder is like putting an AIDS patient through chemo. It's brutal, and in the end, they'll still have a serious untreated condition. I'm pretty sure that my local daycare does not put kids in the "naughty dark room" for days, or tackle four-year-olds for "not getting honest." Give me a break. And let's be reasonable with this success rate - let's say 30% of clients feel AARC was a positive experience after five years. What do you think the chances are that a kid might grow up and stop partying ON THEIR OWN after five years? Studies have shown that at least 80% of problem drinkers grow out of it as they grow up and mature. But what AARC does, self-admittedly, is raise the bottom. They force kids to grow up a lot faster than they would, or should. Essentially, AARC "helps" some kids become stronger and more mature in the same way Ike helped Tina become a strong woman. And for the same reason I'm sure Tina doesn't send thank you cards to Ike at Christmas, I will never thank AARC for the positive things I've done with my life since I was in that prison. I can only imagine where I'd be today if I'd never realized what a scam AARC is. Judging by what I've seen from AARColytes, I'd most likely be working as a peer counselor, making fun of rape victims, and battling illiteracy.