Author Topic: New Clinical Director @ Benchmark: James Powell  (Read 7937 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
New Clinical Director @ Benchmark: James Powell
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:54 PM »
Breaking News
Posted: Apr 7, 2009

Benchmark Young Adult School
Redlands, California

Dr. James Powell Joins Benchmark As New Clinical Director

Shelley Skaggs
Director of Marketing
909-792-7818
http://www.benchmarkyoungadultschool.com

April 6, 2009

Benchmark Young Adult School proudly announces Dr. James Powell is joining Benchmark as Clinical Director, effective April 6, 2009.

"Dr. Powell and I have had a long standing friendship and business relationship," states Jayne Longnecker, founder and Executive Director of Benchmark. "We worked together in the past and I'm looking forward to bringing Jim's clinical direction and extensive experience to Benchmark. Dr. Powell will be directly involved in the admissions process and will provide and oversee all assessment, therapy and crisis management, as well as participate in referral relations and parent communications. He will work closely with Benchmark's Primary Coaching staff throughout the course of all students' master treatment plans. This is an exciting opportunity for Benchmark, as we add another valuable asset to our mission of assisting troubled teens and emerging adults as they transition into adulthood."

Dr. Powell has been licensed as a psychotherapist to practice in the state of California since 1979 and is also licensed to practice in the state of Idaho. From 1977-1987, Dr. Powell had a private practice, specializing in adolescents, located in Orange, California. He also served as Clinical Director of Brea Neuropsychiatric Hospital, in Brea, California, during that time. From 1988-2003 he served as Clinical Director of CEDU Mountain Schools, in Running Springs, California. In 2004, Dr. Powell established Powell & Elliott Collaborative, an independent company focused on supporting therapeutic schools and programs. Most recently, Dr. Powell served as Clinical Director for an outdoor wilderness program in Northern Idaho.

"I am very excited about joining the Benchmark team and re-establishing our working relationship again," says Dr. Powell. "I look forward to developing the clinical and diagnostic services to further the high standards Benchmark has maintained over the past 15 years of working with emerging adults."

Benchmark is a residential treatment and transitional living program for 18-28 year old men and women, specializing in recovery, education and life skills. For additional information, please call Admissions at 800-474-4848 or email at: [email protected].

Dr. Powell can be reached directly at 951-317-3151.

Copyright © 2009, Woodbury Reports, Inc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Clinical Director @ Benchmark: James Powell
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:40 PM »
Oh lawdies, A new 'Doc' Pills!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:09:10 PM »
I'm not sure re. Powell's earlier private practice and Brea Neuropsychiatric Hospital, but since 1988, his activities have been pretty much from a strictly CEDU perspective, through and through. He worked fifteen years as Clinical Director of CEDU Runnings Springs. His firm Powell & Elliott Collaborative was working with (amongst other things) the Friends of Families with Children in Crisis Foundation (formerly The Friends of CEDU Foundation).

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:30:05 AM »
By Doc 'Pills' I refer to the shrink Psy pointed out for me when we were parked out front of Benchmark. If my memory serves me correctly I had to wrestle Psy out of the car and restrain him on the sidewalk to keep him from running the guy over.

Well nothing quite that dramatic, but I'm sure the thought of running the guy over crossed Psy's mind. It did mine at least.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:45:08 AM »
Ah, I misread that reference!  :D

My brain conjured up images of "Dr. Phil" — aka Mr. Lifespring-Lite, exploiter of human misery (preferably in front of a television camera), and all-around program apologist!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »
This info from another thread: apparently Dr. James Powell was once involved with Synanon. See:

how do we know Mel Wasserman was involved with Synanon?
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27295#p329764[/list]

Offline fulltimer

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:05 AM »
    Wow!  So Jim left the Idaho Cedu-clones?  Wonder what happened and if it was voluntery  or if it was a "resign" or we fire you?  I wonder if he took Brandi Elliott with him.  They were in that partnership together to put more kids in abusive programs while lining their pockets with parents' cash.  She went to work for the new CEDU in Idaho, too.
    So synanon still spreads its snake venom!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »
    Quote from: "fulltimer"
    I wonder if he took Brandi Elliott with him.  They were in that partnership together to put more kids in abusive programs while lining their pockets with parents' cash.  She went to work for the new CEDU in Idaho, too.
    So synanon still spreads its snake venom!

Apparently, they still have much to hobnob about:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Breaking News
    Posted: Jun 26, 2009

Benchmark Transitions
    Redlands, CA

Benchmark and Northwest Academy Host Summer Network Luncheon

Josie Ramirez-Herndon
    Villareal &Associates
    877-769-4780
    [email protected]

June 23, 2009

Benchmark Transitions and Northwest Academy will be hosting a Summer Network Luncheon on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm, to be held at:

Benchmark Transitions and Young Adult School
    1971 Essex Ct.
    Redlands, CA 92373

Guest Speakers will include Dr. James Powell, Clinical Director of Benchmark Transitions and Brandi Elliot, Admissions and Marketing Director of Northwest Academy.

Topic:
    Parents as Partners: "Bringing Family Members into the Treatment Process"

(1-CE unit available)

Please RSVP to:
    Josie Ramirez-Herndon

Copyright © 2009, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

Offline psy

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"
    This info from another thread: apparently Dr. James Powell was once involved with Synanon. See:

It's like they just don't care at all how they look.
      Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
      Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
      "Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »
      Quote from: "psy"
      Quote from: "Ursus"

It's like they just don't care at all how they look.

Oh, they do care! They're damn proud of it!

I know it may be very difficult to imagine in this day and age, but back then, some therapeutic communities took a lot of lifestyle affects from communes and hippie attire, and to the average person they were seen as a progressive development, perhaps even radically so.

You have to understand that the style in which you dressed was everything back then. People could and did judge a book by its cover. If you were a male and your hair was cut short, there was a 99.99% chance that you voted Republican and that you liked Nixon. You were either hip, or you were square. People that ran these TCs were mostly "hip," or tried to look "hip" (given that much of their clientele were "hip").